Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The wine Christ made could have been anything. Most likely wine but it could have been a Heavenly drink that is like wine but is different & safer & better & cooler.
The bible calls it wine. Why do you think it was something other than wine? If the bible calls it wine, should I believe it was Pepsi instead? Why would I do this? Just to find support for my idea that wine is bad and Pepsi is good?

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Agreed: Ephesians 5:18. The Bible says we are not to be drunk with wine. It doesn't say we can't drink at all, but it does say we are to be above approach.

Exactly; It doesn't say we can't drink at all but it does command us to remain sober.

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The bible calls it wine. Why do you think it was something other than wine? If the bible calls it wine, should I believe it was Pepsi instead? Why would I do this? Just to find support for my idea that wine is bad and Pepsi is good?

The Bible called it wine because we thought it was wine. It was probably wine but it could have a Heaven Wine or a Special Wine & still wine. But the Bible is full of words like that. For example, when God is described as male it doesn't mean God is a man but that God is relating to us through using human words. The same might be applied to wine. The same goes for prophesy. Sometimes we are limited in our words. The word Manna for example means what is it.

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly; It doesn't say we can't drink at all but it does command us to remain sober.

It says don't be drunk. But it doesn't exactly say we can't be not sober. I mean like is there only two options: sober or drunk? Is there a third option?

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It says don't be drunk. But it doesn't exactly say we can't be not sober. I mean like is there only two options: sober or drunk? Is there a third option?

The opposite of drunk is sober.

"Do not get drunk" = remain sober.

1 Peter 5:8
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

The are only two options...drunk or sober; Just like there is only believer and nonbeliever. Sub-labels do exist under those, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Drunkenness doesn't lead to wise decisions...

Proverbs 23:20-21
Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

And apparently, kings and rulers aren't even supposed to drink:

Proverbs 31:4-5
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink, lest they drink and forget what has been decreed and pervert the rights of all the afflicted.

God's children are royalty.

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink, lest they drink and forget what has been decreed and pervert the rights of all the afflicted.

1 Corinthians 10:31: So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 10:31: So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I don't doubt that anything is possible with God, including drinking without getting drunk, but the verses I quoted clearly state to remain sober and one even says that kings shouldn't drink whatsoever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

Since he said "again" that means he drank before. Since he said he will drink it in the kingdom, it is okay for royalty to drink in the kingdom.

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't doubt that anything is possible with God, including drinking without getting drunk, but the verses I quoted clearly state to remain sober and one even says that kings shouldn't drink whatsoever.

Unless you're doing it for the glory of God and have complete faith that it won't get you drunk (un-sober), I suggest adhering to those verses.

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

Since he said "again" that means he drank before. Since he said he will drink it in the kingdom, it is okay for royalty to drink in the kingdom.

The point is: drunk = bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.