• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christian

AllTalkNoAction

Potentially Wonderful
Aug 7, 2005
Near London, England
Visit site
✟19,423.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
A christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “christ” or “messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit.
(Acts 10v38, Romans 8v8-9, John 3v3-8)

In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit ! They all spoke in tongues immediately, an unlearned prayer language whereby God ministers his grace to our soul.
(Acts 2v4, 33, 39; 10v44-46, Jude 19-21)

If you have received that but are following lust, you are still a christian, it's just that you are not "walking in the Spirit", i.e. *living* the new life. God's way of dealing with the lust of the flesh, is to give the soul something BETTER - his love to explore, in a daily 2-way relationship with him, and of course he will provide a good husband if you believe in love not lust.

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh." (Galatians 5v16)

Upvote 0

vpbrett

Oct 22, 2005
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
"Dealing with lust" only means you're a normal 16 year old teenager who is being strongly tempted. If the fact that we are tempted meant we're not christians there would be no christians on earth at all. Please talk to your youth pastor if you have one. It sounds as if you need guidance quickly.
In the meantime just be assured that temptation comes to us all, but we don't need to forever fall.
Victor

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,469.00
Faith
Christian
Well not everyone believes you need to speak in tongues to prove you have the Holy Spirit and that you need it to be saved..
I dont know what makes a person a christian according to definition but I do know that a true christian is one who keeps struggling to the end of his life against sin (I hope I do :( and you )...
but that doesnt mean we dont fall on the way ...
We know that a " ...Just man [or woman] falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief" [proverbs 24:16]

that is they repent each time ?

but eventually he or she I believe must overcome this sin but in the beginning its a strong war until we are very humbled in Gods sight knowing we are really powerless without Him and then He delivers us.. I think God makes the war hard at the beginning so that when He helps us we are very afraid of returning to this sin because it was so hard to overcome before...

I dont know which denomination you are but im orthodox christian and I believe taking the real body and blood of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist [after confessing/repenting to God in the sight of a priest] gives me strength against sin along with prayer ... [font=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] "Submit yourselves, therefore, to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:6-7) [/font] and Gods word.. (but I feel im getting weak again so if you have a relationship with God pray for me since I need to read Gods word with seriousness)

Romans 8 (King James Version)

1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Upvote 0

thepianist

Sep 6, 2005
✟5,574.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:wave: Hello dear! If you have ever asked Jesus to forgive you of your sins and save your soul, then you are saved! The Bible is either all true or all a lie. You cannot say just part of it is true and God be real. I suggest that you read Romans 10:9, 10 & 13.....we are told plainly that Jesus is the ONLY way to heaven - plus or minus nothing. He gives us eternal life, not just when we live the right way. That doesn't mean we have a license to sin - we just won't be lost again. We should do our best to live a right kind of life - always.

You are in my prayers and I hope that if you have never accepted Jesus, that you will do it - now. :hug: :prayer:

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

If anybody could say he was above or beyond temptation, I would say Paul would be able to say that. But it is clear from the above verses that Paul still struggled. I cannot say what he struggled with, but it is obvious he was not perfect. As Christians we are called to strive for protection and to not dwell in sin, but we have grace and forgiveness from the blood of Jesus for those times we fall short.

We are to strive for the freedom from sin found in the blood of Jesus.

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
whisper,

tiz quite possible that your battle with lust is because you may not feel loved by those around you? Or maybe because you been lonely and would really like to be in a meaningful relationship? The tv shows and movies you watching would affect your thought life. Sounds like you have unmet needs that you been trying to meet on your own...even too much idle time? Ask Jesus to not only help you redeem your time for Him, to give you much Divine purpose, but also and more importantly ask your Lord to fill your heart up with His love that surpasses knowledge and with Divine hope too! :hug: Reading your Bible more and listening to praise music will make a huge difference! :D

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.

Psalm 37:3-6 Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.

Jeremiah 29:11-14 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you...plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD...

Philippians 4:8-9 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

1 John 3:1-3 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Upvote 0

AllTalkNoAction

Potentially Wonderful
Aug 7, 2005
Near London, England
Visit site
✟19,423.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
whisper_dishmon said:
Yes of coarse, Ive been saved for 3 years. I just dont want to fight lust anymore. Im working on it. I was just wondering if that made me not saved if I am fighting this.
What happened 3 yrs ago to make you say you received salvation then ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greyshade89

Senior Veteran
Aug 27, 2004
✟17,949.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
AllTalkNoAction said:
What happened 3 yrs ago to make you say you received salvation then ?
I was at church, and at the time was having an awful home life..my father was going to leave my mom brother and me..(he passed away 9 months later) I went to this church, and I felt just a glimpse of who Christ was. I wanted to know Him more. I got saved that night. About 6 months later I got the gift of tounges. The lust is whats been causing me to fall in my christian walk lately. I dont want to do it anymore. I just ask you guys to pray for me.:prayer:

Upvote 0

Greyshade89

Senior Veteran
Aug 27, 2004
✟17,949.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
tiz quite possible that your battle with lust is because you may not feel loved by those around you? Or maybe because you been lonely and would really like to be in a meaningful relationship? The tv shows and movies you watching would affect your thought life. Sounds like you have unmet needs that you been trying to meet on your own...even too much idle time? Ask Jesus to not only help you redeem your time for Him, to give you much Divine purpose, but also and more importantly ask your Lord to fill your heart up with His love that surpasses knowledge and with Divine hope too! :hug: Reading your Bible more and listening to praise music will make a huge difference! :D

That is very true. Thank you so much. Seriously.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,469.00
Faith
Christian
Well as an orthodox I dont believe once saved always saved... The bible "Talks" about people who begun in the Spirit and were made perfect by the flesh .. And Demas who left paul having loved this present world ( what is it to love the world? If anyone loves the world the love of the Father is not in him.. for all that is in the world.... lust of the flesh.. pride of life... is not of the Father... " )

and the people who paul wept for because they were lost I think and there is many other things... "not everyone who says to Me Lord, Lord shall enter... those who do the will of My Father " the foolish versions , the masters who beat their servants not waiting properly till His master came.. and many other parts in the bible are against this once saved always saved belief I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

headedhome

Sep 4, 2005
michigan
✟7,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whisper, I see some of the previous posts have told you what they beieve the Bible says, even though it doesn't say it. You asked a question. A simple answer is yes a Christian can and often does have to deal with lust. It does not mean your not walking in the spirit. Lust is a sin stemming from thoughts that your flesh, the world, and the demon realm, like to whisper to your heart. Sometimes even "us strong, spirit filled Christians" fail, thankfully we serve a God of forgiveness who has promised to complete the good work He has started in us (Phil. 1:6). If you believe in Jesus, as The Father has revealed Him through His Word, then you are sealed with the Holy Spirit. Follow Jesus (The Living Word of God), not man's interpretation of His written word, and you will be fine.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
whisper_dishmon said:
Yes of coarse, Ive been saved for 3 years. I just dont want to fight lust anymore. Im working on it. I was just wondering if that made me not saved if I am fighting this.

You are a normal teenager with hormones zapping around in your system. That means you have become aware of human sexuality. This is a big the issue for teenagers. But merely having sexual thoughts and feelings is not lust. Don't beat up on yourself unnecessarily.

Maybe masturbation has become an issue? That is a separate topic.

John
NZ

Upvote 0