Nairobi
✟55,269.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the ones where someone meets Jesus could be in the head, I don't know. But what happens when people explain things that they should have not seen because they are 'dead' like see actions of alive people during that time.

That for me explains a life out side of the realm we know. And it can not be shoved of to that was all in your head.

An example is people who were in hospital and went to the next room and saw things they shouldn't have been able to whether dead or alive and report on those. Or seeing the nurse or doctor do certain things when they have flat lined.

Upvote 0

DancingPenguins

Aug 16, 2020
Bay Area
✟21,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see the ndes as a fulfillment of what Jesus said about how even if someone was raised from the dead, some people still won't believe. I think the reason that so many people see different and even contradictory things is because each person lived a different life following spirits that aren't necessarily the Holy Spirit, so they go to be with the spirits they followed if not Jesus and going to Heaven, and each will have a life in the afterlife according to their deeds. I think the reason they are told so many contradictory things is that some of the people don't go to Heaven and instead go to be with the spirits they followed in this life. However, what I'm saying is just my own guess.

Luke 16:29-31

29But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’”

Matthew 16:27
27For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
One of the most intriguing aspects of the NDE is that it seems to be culturally conditioned. There are certainly some commonalities like the tunnel of light but a Hindu might report a very different experience than a Muslim or a Christian.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you Christians make of near death and out of body experiences?
What is your experience of them?

Once when very ill I had the experience of floating up out of my body and looking down on myself, it was scary.
I wonder if you have had any similar experiences? These stories fascinate me. There is a woman I was in school with who wrote a book on the subject (Penny Sartori).
I think it can challenge a very materialist world view to hear these kinds of stories.
Has anything happened to you?
I find them very interesting. I like listening to people tell their stories.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Once when very ill I had the experience of floating up out of my body and looking down on myself, it was scary.
I wonder if you have had any similar experiences? These stories fascinate me. There is a woman I was in school with who wrote a book on the subject (Penny Sartori).
I think it can challenge a very materialist world view to hear these kinds of stories.

I believe your story. My mother had a similar experience. When we were really young, 5 or 6. My mother said she died, and started to ascend into heaven, she could hear music, and God spoke to her and told her "Your husband needs you to raise the children", she then returned to her body. She was and still is a Christain.

I was also talking to a guy on the street once, and he told me he had an NDE where he started to go down to hell, he could feel the heat on the rocks, he then saw an angel with a sword and returned to his body. He had died temporarily in the hospital.

I have watched tons of NDE's and think most of them are worth a watch.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone heard Howard Storm??
Yes. His story shows me that God is a God who does not give up on us even to the point of near-death. I have heard other similar stories. Like this one Ian McCormack - Heaven Hell and the Box Jellyfish

Neither of them deny the existence of a place of punishment or hell, but they show that God reaches out to use even if there is no "man" to witness to us. I believe one of the fallacies of the church is that "God only uses people".

I do know of one story of a witch doctor, who had a Christian son. The witch doctor put a death curse on his son, but the witch doctor died. The son prayed for days that his witchdoctor father be raised back to life. He was and when he returned, all he said he saw was Jesus, and Jesus said to him (the witchdoctor) "I love you"., the father then became a Christian. This happened under the minister of a man by the name of David Hogan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I simply don't trust them because those in other cultures that have them interpret them according to their religion.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think people will generally experience what they need to, according to their ability to understand. One is dealing with deep layers of the unconscious mind in such states, and there is also a transpersonal element involved. But it's important to not draw fanciful conclusions (like "this experience proves X religion is true").

One of the most intriguing aspects of the NDE is that it seems to be culturally conditioned. There are certainly some commonalities like the tunnel of light but a Hindu might report a very different experience than a Muslim or a Christian.

There are elements that are dependent on ones culture, but also commonalities common across cultures and religions. The less religious a person is, the more common it is for them to be similar, typically involving travelling through a tunnel, encountering a white light, and talking to deceased relatives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
For ME, studying these experiences is forbidden. For some people they might be necessary, but for me, I felt the Holy Spirit specifically lead me away from looking into it. I will challenge the Bible's inerrancy and the Holy Spirit will say, "Go ahead". I will question Jesus' divinity and the Holy Spirit will say, "Go ahead.". But I wanted to study near death experiences, and the Holy Spirit said, "Stop."

Please make sure you are following God's leading on this.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One of the reasons that orthodox Christians may feel the study of NDE is wrong is because some of the opinions and insights that have come from them conflict with orthodox thinking. I have studied the subject for many years now, to me the criteria for death is now a flat line EEG, another words there is no brain activity. Actually once there frontal lobe dies it is my opinion no one is home, the spirit has left the body. Anyone that studies NDE with an open mind will see their is much to be learned from them.
One thing you will find, the atheist don't return as atheist, actually some of the most powerful testimonies come from people that were previously atheist.
For the bible literalist the testimonies will be disturbing because they don't line up with literalist beliefs, but they do line up with the bible in many ways.
If it had not been for my studies of NDE I wouldn't have returned to Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's great that the Lord used those to reach you.

Found your statement about the atheist to be true too when they're from God.

Found Howard Storm's account believable and seen him interviewed. As a university professor, he had gone on a trip with a few students and became very ill. In his NDE, things changed when he remembered what was said in a few Sunday School classes he attended as a young child and called out to God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Howard Storm's testimony is just one of many that are very compelling to say the least. I for one don't agree with everything posted on the NDE web site and one must sort through the various testimonies and beliefs and carefully consider the subjective ones carefully. The other thing I find fascinating is the various apocrypha's that have been translated into English. I do wonder how many more there are that Rome has tucked away and won't let the world see. I wrote the pope a letter some time back and asked him to let the cat out or the bag, he didn't respond.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Howard Storm's testimony is just one of many that are very compelling to say the least. I for one don't agree with everything posted on the NDE web site and one must sort through the various testimonies and beliefs and carefully consider the subjective ones carefully. The other thing I find fascinating is the various apocrypha's that have been translated into English. I do wonder how many more there are that Rome has tucked away and won't let the world see. I wrote the pope a letter some time back and asked him to let the cat out or the bag, he didn't respond.
When the Catholic Church chose the 73 books of the Bible (the centuries long process finished in the late 300s) all apocryphal text was rejected. The Catholic Church preached, preserved and translated Biblical text over all of the centuries since that time. We consider the Bible as the Word of God. Apocryphal text may appeal to some scholars and I see no real reason for anyone to keep secret copies

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
When the Catholic Church chose the 73 books of the Bible (the centuries long process finished in the late 300s) all apocryphal text was rejected. The Catholic Church preached, preserved and translated Biblical text over all of the centuries since that time. We consider the Bible as the Word of God. Apocryphal text may appeal to some scholars and I see no real reason for anyone to keep secret copies

Excuse me but you have your history a little off. Very little was decided at the first counsel in 300ad, remember the Catholic church didn't ratify their cannon until the 1500s when the reformation started thanks to Luther, and the protestant founding fathers such as Calvin. I do realize Luther wasn't one of the pope's favorite people, but so be it, he was wright on in my opinion.
As for the apocrypha's, I can certainly understand why the Catholic church didn't want some of them included, especially the apocrypha of Paul where he talks about a soul that had committed murder being cast down into a body prepared for that soul. This leads to the reincarnation beliefs that were held by many in the Jewish secs.
What most Christians today do not understand is what we have in our bibles is only what Constantine and the then forming Catholic church wanted in it. If you don't think Constantine didn't have his fingers in the formation of the first official church in Rome you would be sadly mistaken. He move the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday to appease the sun god worshipers.
When you look at the number of people involved and the arguments that came up during the foundation of the first church it is easy to see it was humans that put the orginal cannon together. Then of course us protestants ripped it apart further and threw out what we didn't like. So, who inspired that idea?
Now shall we talk about the dark ages and the nights of Templar and how the Catholic church used murder, fear, and intimidation for their political agenda. So what did the Catholic church do to the Gnostic Christians?
What the Catholic church did to my grandfather during the depression to me is almost unforgivable. The priests haven't figured out they don't pray anyone out of hell.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me but you have your history a little off. Very little was decided at the first counsel in 300ad, remember the Catholic church didn't ratify their cannon until the 1500s when the reformation started thanks to Luther, and the protestant founding fathers such as Calvin. I do realize Luther wasn't one of the pope's favorite people, but so be it, he was wright on in my opinion.
As for the apocrypha's, I can certainly understand why the Catholic church didn't want some of them included, especially the apocrypha of Paul where he talks about a soul that had committed murder being cast down into a body prepared for that soul. This leads to the reincarnation beliefs that were held by many in the Jewish secs.
What most Christians today do not understand is what we have in our bibles is only what Constantine and the then forming Catholic church wanted in it. If you don't think Constantine didn't have his fingers in the formation of the first official church in Rome you would be sadly mistaken. He move the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday to appease the sun god worshipers.
When you look at the number of people involved and the arguments that came up during the foundation of the first church it is easy to see it was humans that put the orginal cannon together. Then of course us protestants ripped it apart further and threw out what we didn't like. So, who inspired that idea?
Now shall we talk about the dark ages and the nights of Templar and how the Catholic church used murder, fear, and intimidation for their political agenda. So what did the Catholic church do to the Gnostic Christians?
What the Catholic church did to my grandfather during the depression to me is almost unforgivable. The priests haven't figured out they don't pray anyone out of hell.
St. Athanasius is credited with the first Biblical canon (NT) containing the same books in the same order we use today. The list was approved by Pope Damasus and formally approved of by Councils at Hippo and Carthage in the late 300s. Pope Innocent I wrote a letter to the Bishop of Toulouse in 405 A.D. which re-affirmed this canon and various Church Councils also re-affirmed the list over the centuries.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
. ...............which re-affirmed this canon and various Church Councils also re-affirmed the list over the centuries.

Like you said, various councils did, but not all of them. There were so many heated debates and disagreements that the Catholic church didn't ratify their cannon until the 1500s. Everybody wasn't on the same page. Lets face it, some didn't want anything Paul wrote put in the bible. Let's be honest here, the council of Nicaea and Constantinople basically only decided Jesus divinity, there were three schools of thought as I'm sure your aware, and the homoousian won. Oh they also decided Arius was a heretic and I agree.
If what you are claiming was true, the Catholic church wouldn't have waited another 1200 years to ratify there cannon.
Let me ask you, why do you think us protestants rejected Tobit, Judith, The Book of Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, the Seven chapters in the book of Esther, Two chapters and a prayer in the book of Daniel? To be very honest with you; I have had some very intense debates with a couple of professors and pastors over this question.
Here again, I believe this was a human decision to eliminate them, not divinely inspired.

Please let me clarify something, I don't have any issues personally with the Catholic church; I also have some dear friends that are Catholic. The Catholic church today isn't the church of the dark ages, and I do understand that.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Like you said, various councils did, but not all of them. There were so many heated debates and disagreements that the Catholic church didn't ratify their cannon until the 1500s. Everybody wasn't on the same page. Lets face it, some didn't want anything Paul wrote put in the bible. Let's be honest here, the council of Nicaea and Constantinople basically only decided Jesus divinity, there were three schools of thought as I'm sure your aware, and the homoousian won. Oh they also decided Arius was a heretic and I agree.
If what you are claiming was true, the Catholic church wouldn't have waited another 1200 years to ratify there cannon.
Let me ask you, why do you think us protestants rejected Tobit, Judith, The Book of Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, the Seven chapters in the book of Esther, Two chapters and a prayer in the book of Daniel? To be very honest with you; I have had some very intense debates with a couple of professors and pastors over this question.
Here again, I believe this was a human decision to eliminate them, not divinely inspired.

Please let me clarify something, I don't have any issues personally with the Catholic church; I also have some dear friends that are Catholic. The Catholic church today isn't the church of the dark ages, and I do understand that.
The same 73 books decided upon by the pope and Councils in the late 300s are the same we use today. It should be no surprise that the list was re-affirmed in the years following such approvals, nor a surprise it was re-affirmed during a time when Protestants wanted books dropped. The 1546 Council of Trent is well known to have added: “But if anyone receive not, as sacred and canonical, the said books entire with all their parts, as they have been used to be read in the Catholic Church, and as they are contained in the old Latin Vulgate edition; and knowingly and deliberately contemn the traditions aforesaid; let him be anathema.” An example of re-affirmation around the time of the original list is found in a historical document written by Pope Innocent I in his 405 A.D. letter to the Bishop of Toulouse:
“A short annotation shows what books are to be accepted as canonical. As you wished to be informed specifically, they are as follows: The five books of Moses, that is, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy; and Jesus Nave, one of Judges, four of Kingdoms, and also Ruth, sixteen books of Prophets, five books of Solomon, the Psalter. Likewise, of histories, one book of Job, one book of Tobias, one of Esther, one of Judith, two of Maccabees, two of Esdras, two books of Paralipomenon. Likewise, of the New Testament: four books of Gospels, fourteen Epistles of Paul, three Epistles of John, two Epistles of Peter, the Epistle of Jude, the Epistle of James, the Acts of the Apostles, the Apocalypse of John. Others, however, which were written under the name of Matthias or of James the Less, or under the name of Peter and of John, by a certain Leucius – or under the name of Andrew, by the philosophers Nexocharis and Leonidas – or under the name of Thomas, and such others as may be, are not only to be repudiated, but, as you know, are also to be condemned.” There were some differences in readings for masses before the Bible became official in the late 300s, but at time the matter was and is settled. I don't know what heated discussions you are talking about nor why you think any Catholic want to exclude the writings of Paul. To the contrary, Catholics have pronounced those writings as the Word of God. Finally, I know the new Protestant religions rejected the concept of purgatory and prayers for the dead, thus dropping solid evidence would make for a better argument. I have been told the books were not included because they were rejected by Jews because none of the dropped books were ever written in Hebrew--the Dead Sea Scrolls proved that wrong. Personally I can see why many Jews dropped those books--the story in Holy Scripture of the family who was tortured to death because of their belief in resurrection had to be troubling to them.

Upvote 0