Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
What do you Christians make of near death and out of body experiences?
What is your experience of them?

Once when very ill I had the experience of floating up out of my body and looking down on myself, it was scary.
I wonder if you have had any similar experiences? These stories fascinate me. There is a woman I was in school with who wrote a book on the subject (Penny Sartori).
I think it can challenge a very materialist world view to hear these kinds of stories.
Has anything happened to you?

Reactions: Jok

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Once when very ill I had the experience of floating up out of my body and looking down on myself, it was scary.
I wonder if you have had any similar experiences? These stories fascinate me. There is a woman I was in school with who wrote a book on the subject (Penny Sartori).
I think it can challenge a very materialist world view to hear these kinds of stories.
Here is some evidence on NDE
CHAPTER ONE: EVIDENCE OF THE SOUL AND HEAVEN FROM NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES7812182225I.Definitions and DescriptionsII.Four Important StudiesIII.Three Kinds of Verifiable EvidenceIV.Response to Physicalist ExplanationsV.Near Death Experiences, Love, and ResurrectionVI.Complementary Evidence of a Soul from Terminal Lucidity27
https://www.crediblecatholic.com/pdf/7E-P1/7E-BB2.pdf

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I dream like crazy, the moment my head hits the pillow, so I would be very strict with myself, I would need to experience something objective that I know my dream state subconscious couldn’t have just invented in order to call it out of body.

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This isn't a Christian view as such, but I think it's interesting. If I recall correctly this type of hypothesis has been floating around for a few years now.

The physical universe that we live in is only our perception and once our physical bodies die, there is an infinite beyond. Some believe that consciousness travels to parallel universes after death. “The beyond is an infinite reality that is much bigger… which this world is rooted in. In this way, our lives in this plane of existence are encompassed, surrounded, by the afterworld already… The body dies but the spiritual quantum field continues. In this way, I am immortal,” suggest researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Physics in Munich

The Max Planck physicists are in agreement with British Physicist Sir Roger Penrose who argues that if a person temporarily dies, this quantum information is released from the microtubules and into the universe. However, if they are resuscitated the quantum information is channeled back into the microtubules and that is what sparks a near death experience. “If they’re not revived, and the patient dies, it’s possible that this quantum information can exist outside the body, perhaps indefinitely, as a soul.”

Original article is here.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's not one Christian perspective of NDEs.or out of body experiences.

Agree with you that it is fascinating and a challenge since we focus on the natural world. As a follower of Jesus, I believe we are spirit, soul, and body (KJV, I Thess 5:23). I've never experienced one. But would be interested in hearing more about yours if you are ok with it.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This section has to do with 'Exploring Christianity' and so NDE's and especially OBE's have nothing to do with Christianity except they are part of the occult.
I experienced them before being born again, but not since.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I generally regard such experiences as products of the human mind. That is, nobody has actually gone anywhere and the things they saw were purely mental constructs.

I'm not opposed to visions and dreams and the like, I just take a highly skeptical view toward them.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
have nothing to do with Christianity except they are part of the occult.
From what I've seen, Christianity encompasses people with all sorts of views, and some are very open to considering these things as valid.
Some people have found faith after having these experiences, or deepened their Christian beliefs. So it can't all be from the devil? 'A house divided..' and all that. At least there are Christians who have different views, though you are entitled to your opinion naturally.
But I would say that it is a valid question on a Christian forum, and it is an experience that can turn somebody to Christianity.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From what I've seen, Christianity encompasses people with all sorts of views, and some are very open to considering these things as valid.
Some people have found faith after having these experiences, or deepened their Christian beliefs. So it can't all be from the devil? 'A house divided..' and all that. At least there are Christians who have different views, though you are entitled to your opinion naturally.
But I would say that it is a valid question on a Christian forum, and it is an experience that can turn somebody to Christianity.
I thought you were sincerely 'exploring Christianity'.
The Christian faith is not built on our 'opinion', but the conviction that the Bible is in fact God's Word. It would be a good place to start if you truly want to explore the Christian faith, all else is opinion.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have had an out of body experience on two occasions.
The first experience I had was the sensation that my head was separated from my body. I felt like I had been become a "ball" that had no body, no arms, no legs.
The second experience was the sensation that I was floating in the air above my bed with my body still below me.
I put these experiences down to sleep paralysis, as they both occurred upon wakening from sleep and it is a commonly reported symptom from people who have the same condition.
Both experiences did not last very long, probably less than a minute, and then everything was back to normal. I don't remember being frightened by it, but more bewildered - it certainly did not feel normal!
These happened around about the same time, but it was many years ago and I have not had any similar experiences since.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nevertheless, many Christians do, in fact, have different opinions.
2 Peter 1:19-21 KJV
[19] We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: [20] Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. [21] For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. [21] For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
So this means that the prophecy that were written down as scripture came from the Holy Spirit?
Like the dreams, visions and visitations that are throughout the Old and New Testament.
So these are direct experiences, not something made up or read from a book, but direct experience.
If a person had a cardiac arrest and their brain activity stops and then they are revived, but then they say they met Jesus and it felt good and now they believe.... that too is a direct experience, not made up, not an interpretation. . . An experience that transformed somebody and brought them to faith... There are accounts reported of this happening!

Why try to invalidate this experience that somebody has had? Surely such an experience is a blessing for that person and if somebody interprets scripture to talk a person out of it, telling them it is 'occult', destroying their faith.... Who are they working for? Are they working for Jesus or who?

If somebody reports that they died and went to Valhalla then you would have a valid point from a Christian perspective! But if a person's experience directly gives them faith in Jesus, then surely Christians should embrace that.

Can't a person be saved in such a way today? Can't there still be miracles?
Was the Holy Spirit entombed in the Bible when it was written, or does it still speak in various ways?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So this means that the prophecy that were written down as scripture came from the Holy Spirit?
Like the dreams, visions and visitations that are throughout the Old and New Testament.
So these are direct experiences, not something made up or read from a book, but direct experience.
If a person had a cardiac arrest and their brain activity stops and then they are revived, but then they say they met Jesus and it felt good and now they believe.... that too is a direct experience, not made up, not an interpretation. . . An experience that transformed somebody and brought them to faith... There are accounts reported of this happening!

Why try to invalidate this experience that somebody has had? Surely such an experience is a blessing for that person and if somebody interprets scripture to talk a person out of it, telling them it is 'occult', destroying their faith.... Who are they working for? Are they working for Jesus or who?

If somebody reports that they died and went to Valhalla then you would have a valid point from a Christian perspective! But if a person's experience directly gives them faith in Jesus, then surely Christians should embrace that.

Can't a person be saved in such a way today? Can't there still be miracles?
Was the Holy Spirit entombed in the Bible when it was written, or does it still speak in various ways?
There are such a thing as lying spirits that claim all sorts of supernatural phenomenon. We use God's Word to test them...

Jeremiah 23:26-32 KJV
[26] How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart; [27] Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal. [28] The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the Lord. [29] Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord ; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? [30] Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that steal my words every one from his neighbour. [31] Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that use their tongues, and say, He saith. [32] Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the Lord, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the Lord.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am experienced enough to provide you with an explanation.

Out of body experiences are usually caused by a temporary and partial "detach" between the body and the soul, where a communication channel can be established between you and the spiritual realm (the realm of the dead, in a place referred to as Hades or sheol in Hebrew). Those in the dead realm are keen on exploiting such a partial and temporary "detach" between body and soul. They can manifest an out of body experience, or showing you the stars of universe, or making you seeing ghosts. These are all about what the dead (thus the evil spirits) can exploit to establish a channel for them to do the manifest.

A true experience on the other hand, is about an experience where most likely you are both in body and out of body at the same time. You are normal but abnormal. You are in a normal status but experiencing something out of this reality. You are fully conscious fully aware of but experiencing something out of reality.

Paul's experience to the third Heaven is a typical example. You mind is as clear as at the moment you are reading this article, while you are experiencing something out of this reality. That's what it is.

John's experience about the book of revelation is yet another example. He's lying there without losing his consciousness. He's both in body (with a normal clear mind) and out of body (watching the visions) at the same time. It is certainly not about vivid dreaming or the so-called out of body experience. There's fundamental difference between the two.

Something which can be a more solid experience is through the demon board games, where you are obviously (same as your partners in the same game) conscious but may have a chance to experience the paranormal activities. This is more comparable to an actual experience. Don't get me wrong though, I am not encouraging you to play such a kind of games which may become extremely dangerous with a consequence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
There are such a thing as lying spirits that claim all sorts of supernatural phenomenon.

Matthew 7:16-20
New International Version
16 By their fruit you will recognize them.(A) Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?(B) 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.(C) 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.(D) 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 7:16-20
New International Version
16 By their fruit you will recognize them.(A) Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?(B) 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.(C) 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.(D) 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
Then there is this (as [demonic]spirits are real)...

2 Chronicles 18:21 (KJV) And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the LORD said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so.

2 Chronicles 18:22 (KJV) Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

1 John 4:1 (KJV) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The brain in a form of shut down mode can put together all sorts of images that is for sure. In general in Christianity there is acceptance that each person has a soul. In some contexts we would say that a person is a soul - a living soul. But there is the concept of Matthew 10:28 "kill the body but not the soul", in Christianity.

Obviously in the cases you mention neither body or soul is dead.

In the New Testament book of 1 Thessalonians chapter 4 - we find a discussion of those who have died being referred to has "those who have fallen asleep". The dormant state of the soul.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there are lying spirits. Plus 'And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light (Ii Cor 4:11).

However,, the Lord can and does use experiences. "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven." II Cor 12:2 A Biblical account of an out of body experience was Philip and the eunich in Acts 8 "And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea."

Some NDEs report that they were told it wasnt their time yet and there was a boundary in place. These are supported in Scripture. In Luk 16, there is an account between Father Abraham and Lazarus. "And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.' v26 Plus we're here until our days are fulfilled. Yahweh determines the time and place of our births: “And he made from one man every race of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted epochs and the fixed boundaries of the places where they would live;” (Acts 17:26) Here's another one about both. "Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass;" Job 14

Many believe someone is dead when they meet the medical definition, the natural one. But it's also spiritual. We're spirit, soul, and body (KJV, I Thess 5:23) For believers, "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." (II Cor 5:8). Death is when both the spirit and soul leave the body permanently - "For as the body without the spirit is dead,..." (James 2:26).

One problem is some discount all NDEs and out-of body experiences while others accept all. We can asks God. We can asks for the discernment of spirits. As tellyontellyon posted, I've read accounts where these experiences resulted in them becoming followers of Jesus

Very important Not encouraging anyone to pursue these on their own initiative. There's so much about the spirit world we don't know. But when the Lord does it - Everything the Lord does has a purpose. It may take awhile to process once these are experienced. But the key is to whether ithese experiences are from the Lord, do they point to Him?

Last edited:
Upvote 0