Jul 19, 2009
✟15,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
(reposted from the exploring Christianity forum. :))

This is a weird thing I'm about to say, and I would like people to be respectful of the fact that this is a real experience I have and that I'm not lying.

I am a very new Christian, after a long time as an atheist and former pagan. I have always sort of...sensed spirits, for lack of a better term. And since about the year 2000, I have spoken with a ghost and become personal friends with him. I know a lot about his mortal life, why he likes me and talks to me, etc. He has been my friend through a lot of hard times, and I was wondering what the view of my new faith was on spirits like him. I know there is obviously a problem with witchcraft or devils, but he is a very good person, who was Christian in life, even. What's the scoop?

F

freeport

This is a weird thing I'm about to say, and I would like people to be respectful of the fact that this is a real experience I have and that I'm not lying.

I am a very new Christian, after a long time as an atheist and former pagan. I have always sort of...sensed spirits, for lack of a better term. And since about the year 2000, I have spoken with a ghost and become personal friends with him. I know a lot about his mortal life, why he likes me and talks to me, etc. He has been my friend through a lot of hard times, and I was wondering what the view of my new faith was on spirits like him. I know there is obviously a problem with witchcraft or devils, but he is a very good person, who was Christian in life, even. What's the scoop?

Main thing to do with any spirit is have it say "Jesus is Lord", if it does not agree to say this then it is a bad spirit.

Just demanding that will work, they either go away or say it.

There is a spiritual world and it is spoken of largely in metaphor in Scripture, as Jesus said, 'if you do not believe us on things of earth, how can you ever believe us on heavenly matters'.

There are good and bad spirits, otherwise the apostle would not have said "test the spirits".

Someone recently posted on a forum about seeing their mother after she died. She was immediately attacked. Then, her son came on and was angry about it. He pointed out at least once in Scripture that the "dead" showed themselves to the living: with Moses and Elijah at the Mount of Olives during the "transfiguration".

As they are not dead, it is not really necromancy.

(Another case in Scripture is when Saul demanded to have a necromancer contact Samuel. Samuel was very angry and cursed him. But he did appear. He was angry for his sleep being disturbed.)

Necromancy, of course, is condemned and I would strongly encourage you to build up good works, read Scripture, and be very cautious about spirits.

I would point out on spiritual matters it is possible for someone to be "in spirit" in another place. Paul spoke of this. This does not mean he left his body, but his thoughts and spirit were there.

It may well be that a lot of spiritual warfare is actually in a realm of the being that we really do not understand. For instance, Paul spoke of "spiritual combat" against "principalities and powers of the air"... and coincidentally he spoke against powers of the material plain, testifying against rulers.

Therefore, one might not find it odd after challenging confrontations to be dealing with that challenge in the material world, internally, long after the actual physical challenge was gone with.

Whatever any of this means, we do know what it is like to "be there in spirit" with others, that is a common phrase. People can actually have that kind of soul bond... so one has to be careful.

I do not find much comfort in dealing with even friendly spirits who confess that "Jesus is Lord" on much basis because you do want your privacy.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I am a very new Christian, after a long time as an atheist and former pagan. I have always sort of...sensed spirits, for lack of a better term.

Yes, this is normal.

And since about the year 2000, I have spoken with a ghost and become personal friends with him.
The ghost you are talking to is a “lost soul”, and they do become personal, but they are not what you think they are. They become possessive, and once you build a “soul tie” up with them, then you will suffer.

I know a lot about his mortal life, why he likes me and talks to me, etc. He has been my friend through a lot of hard times, and I was wondering what the view of my new faith was on spirits like him.
All spirits, demons, ghosts will gladly make friends, and will talk to you, and will also lie, and lead you to destruction. All “unclean spirits” live in “dry places” and they “seek to devour” a person.

This friendly ghost that you are talking to isn’t a “clean” spirit, as “clean” spirits are God’s angels.

I know there is obviously a problem with witchcraft or devils, but he is a very good person, who was Christian in life, even. What's the scoop
No scoop my dear sister, you are being seduced and deceived by a very simple, smart demon, who will control and oppress you.

You cut all ties with these sorts of spirits or you will suffer the consequences of this contact.

Have you dabbled with a Ouija board, or be present when others have played with such?

Upvote 0

Webers_Home

May 1, 2009
Oregon
✟1,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what I saw in director Ron Howard's film A Beautiful Mind, I'd guess that what BluePlastic describes is a textbook case of schizophrenia. One of the problems with treating the malady is that its victims are unaware that their imaginary associations are imaginary; and it's very difficult to convince them otherwise.

The film version of Nash's life took the artistic liberty of portraying his imaginary associations as both visual and auditory, when in reality, they were only auditory; in other words, he heard and conversed with voices, but saw no one.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Upvote 0
F

freeport

From what I saw in director Ron Howard's film A Beautiful Mind, I'd guess that what BluePlastic describes is a textbook case of schizophrenia. One of the problems with treating the malady is that its victims are unaware that their imaginary associations are imaginary; and it's very difficult to convince them otherwise.

The film version of Nash's life took the artistic liberty of portraying his imaginary associations as both visual and auditory, when in reality, they were only auditory; in other words, he heard and conversed with voices, but saw no one.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

You are diagnosing illness from a Hollywood movie and this does not make you wonder.

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

M.6

Jul 20, 2009
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wold like to add to what Elijah2 has asked in his/her post??
Have you dabbled in an Ouija board??
If you have, I would hope that you would have enough intelligence that this is a dangerous item and is not as harmless as some would claim it to be. It is not just the board, but any action or behaviour that allows one to, enter of a sorts, into the realm of the spirit world.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

I wold like to add to what Elijah2 has asked in his/her post??
Have you dabbled in an Ouija board??
If you have, I would hope that you would have enough intelligence that this is a dangerous item and is not as harmless as some would claim it to be. It is not just the board, but any action or behaviour that allows one to, enter of a sorts, into the realm of the spirit world.

OP:

God is the One to fear.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

To those speaking about the Ouija board...do you really think you could buy real witchcraft supplies at Toys R Us? :) I have played with the Ouija board but it's just a game.

Not for some cults. One cult I know of considers it demon possessed. They also view almost any object as demon possessed. For these people such things are unclean. (I do find ouija boards in poor taste.)

This is no joke. My wife's mother is like that, in that cult. They are constantly living in fear, with never ending stories of how wicked everybody else is and they never stop imagining what evils Satan and demons are up to.

Anything for them is suspect to being demon possessed.

It is all totally absurd: these sorts are themselves of darkness. They are real live, kicking Pharisees raised straight out of the first century and now doing what they did with the Law on the message of God's grace. It is a trap for them.

I typically just ignore such people... they live in such a dark place, they have their own punishment.

When those who have lights do shine them on them: they go even more insane. It is like their chests are full of darkness and their insides are suddenly open in the air for themselves and all to see how disgusting they really are.

Their eyes are bad: they see evil everywhere.

Such a religion is one of accusations, false condemnations. They are all about bringing people down and keeping them from the Gospel, which is the Tree of Life.

They don't know they are the ones who are dead. If they did, they would repent and be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ric von Hemal

Jun 19, 2009
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there are spirits among us. I've experienced clean and unclean spirits. In Iraq, I was comfortably awakened by a spirit telling me "Great is your reward". I remember such complete happiness from that moment... it gave me strength for the journey. Fast forward four years. I was once woke up unable to breathe, I could feel a hand on my neck squeezing the air supply off. I couldn't even cry out to Jesus for help! Thankfully, He told the unclean spirit to let go. That scared me.

Ask any spirit that comes to you if it acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. If it does, good. If it doesn't, then make it known that you want no part of it, and command it to leave in the Name of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
To those speaking about the Ouija board...do you really think you could buy real witchcraft supplies at Toys R Us? :) I have played with the Ouija board but it's just a game.

I discerned that you did, because your symptoms are a person who played with a Ouija board. And what makes you think that the Ouija board is just a game?

I advise you to punch into the Google Search Engine: "Dangers of a Ouija board", and you will get all that you need to know about a game that isn't a game.

Upvote 0

Ric von Hemal

Jun 19, 2009
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To reinforce what is being said about the weejee board "game"... MANY things we call innocent aren't so. We're just too ignorant to see them as an implement of evil. Consider how you play a weejee board. You ask it a question, usually going deeper and more personal with the questions as the "game" goes on. Shouldn't we be saving such questions for GOD??? He can truthfully answer them all.

If you must play with a weejee board, how about asking if it believes that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. See what happens, and tell us all about it.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I discerned that you did, because your symptoms are a person who played with a Ouija board. And what makes you think that the Ouija board is just a game?

I advise you to punch into the Google Search Engine: "Dangers of a Ouija board", and you will get all that you need to know about a game that isn't a game.

Now that you have had a chance to read all that information on the "Danger of a Ouija board", you next step is get in front of our Lord Jesus Christ and confess and repent your action of dabbling in the powers of darkness, and ask HIM for forgiveness.

Then you need tell those spiritual forces that you are experiencing to get in Jesus' Name.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The dead do not and cannot communicate with the living. When you die, you go to Heaven or Hell. You don't stick around the earth for another crack at life as a cricket or whatever, and you don't talk to living people. If you are really talking to a spirit, it is not a human spirit. It would be an angelic being, and since what you're talking about does not fit the Biblical description of God's angels, it is most likely a fallen angel, aka demon. Demons are not to be trusted.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

Yes, there are spirits among us. I've experienced clean and unclean spirits. In Iraq, I was comfortably awakened by a spirit telling me "Great is your reward". I remember such complete happiness from that moment... it gave me strength for the journey. Fast forward four years. I was once woke up unable to breathe, I could feel a hand on my neck squeezing the air supply off. I couldn't even cry out to Jesus for help! Thankfully, He told the unclean spirit to let go. That scared me.

Ask any spirit that comes to you if it acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. If it does, good. If it doesn't, then make it known that you want no part of it, and command it to leave in the Name of Jesus.

Thank you for your service to God and country!

Awesome testimony, I believe it.

It is critical to 'test all spirits'.

Not doing so can land people in serious trouble.

People do have to believe and understand we
do live in a spiritual world. Not doing so is very
naive and not believing Scripture.

That is liable to lead people into serious trouble.

Granted, details and such are not always critical
as long as someone is well practiced in doing good
and therefore at least know temptation comes
inwardly as well as externally: so they know to
resist it.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Hi Eric,

Yep, you meet up with a lot demons when in other countries. Have walked across many cursed lands, and the Vietnam curse is one curse that has stayed with many Vietnam veterans, and as sad as it is, many still don't know why they are suffering.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

On demons, angels, Heaven and Hell... there are a lot of popular and wrong theology about these things.

Unfortunately, a lot of even otherwise good Christians fail to believe God on these matters.

What is important about these matters is people need to understand that evil spirits are not to be feared nor should people assume they know all on spiritual matters. Answers never come by saying, "I know, I know".

Very often I see Christians not able to take authority against wicked powers in prayer because they have learned wrong things about the spiritual world.

For instance, note the verse below, which is pretty much universally accepted as speaking of the Devil:

Isaiah 14

12 How you have fallen from heaven,
O morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
13 You said in your heart,
"I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. [c]
14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High."
15 But you are brought down to the grave,
to the depths of the pit.
16 Those who see you stare at you,
they ponder your fate:
"Is this the man who shook the earth
and made kingdoms tremble,
17 the man who made the world a desert,
who overthrew its cities
and would not let his captives go home?"
Note how he is described as "a man".

Ezekiel 28 also speaks of the condemnation of the Devil, and is as well, universally accepted as doing so... and also shows how he is but a man.

It even speaks of him being killed:

9 Will you then say, "I am a god,"
in the presence of those who kill you?
You will be but a man, not a god,
in the hands of those who slay you.
10 You will die the death of the uncircumcised
at the hands of foreigners.
I have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD.' "
11 The word of the LORD came to me: 12 "Son of man, take up a lament concerning the king of Tyre and say to him: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says:
" 'You were the model of perfection,
full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden,
the garden of God;
every precious stone adorned you:
ruby, topaz and emerald,
chrysolite, onyx and jasper,
sapphire, [b] turquoise and beryl. [c]
Your settings and mountings [d] were made of gold;
on the day you were created they were prepared.

(If then the leader of the wicked spirits is shown to be as just a man in his end, then what of all the lesser spirits of destruction.)

Likewise, there are many such verses. For instance, Revelation 12 speaks of the Devil and 'one third of the stars of Heaven' being 'thrown down to earth'.

Further, we know from several books in the Bible angels did choose to leave their places and when they did so they became as men. And they died.

In popular Jewish literature demons were considered to be a select number of the ghosts of these ones who were doomed to wander the earth for a period of time.

Not much is spoke of such things outside of symbolic language, though Paul does mention that the saints 'will judge even the angels'. Now, consider this: will that judgment happen at the millennium, or afterwards. And either way, is it not so that we 'do not swear by the Great City for that is the City of the King'? And where is that great city, but on earth.

As we are asked to pray: "Your Kingdom come on earth as it is in Heaven".

People also fail to understand Heaven. If Heaven is in the bosom of Abraham, as Jesus said, then what of Jesus? And how is it a man was able to see someone 'in the heart of Abraham' even though he was in punishment, in Hell? (Heaven is in the heart of Abraham, but the real "father of nations" is Jesus Christ.)

Also, to show how little people know about these things, consider the Lord's words on the coming of the Kingdom of God:

Luke 17
20Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, 21nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within[b] you." 22Then he said to his disciples, "The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. 23Men will tell you, 'There he is!' or 'Here he is!' Do not go running off after them. 24For the Son of Man in his day[c] will be like the lightning, which flashes and lights up the sky from one end to the other. 25But first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.
26"Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

None of this is strange: for God himself came as man in the form of Jesus Christ. What then of angels?

Further, angels are described as children of God. If they are then strange beasts, how then are we also called children of God? Are we of different substance and nature, or is there more then one God?

But the Spirit of Jesus within our hearts is the Spirit of God and the wicked spirits are but as spirits of mere men of the earth: therefore, people should not be afraid to take authority over any wicked spirit.

As for 'talking to the dead', that is obvious condemned in Scripture as necromancy, though Jesus spoke to Elijah and Moses: neither were "dead" or He would not have done it.

As for Samuel being brought up from the grave through a medium:

1 Samuel 28
8 So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. "Consult a spirit for me," he said, "and bring up for me the one I name." 9 But the woman said to him, "Surely you know what Saul has done. He has cut off the mediums and spiritists from the land. Why have you set a trap for my life to bring about my death?"
10 Saul swore to her by the LORD, "As surely as the LORD lives, you will not be punished for this."
11 Then the woman asked, "Whom shall I bring up for you?"
"Bring up Samuel," he said.
12 When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out at the top of her voice and said to Saul, "Why have you deceived me? You are Saul!"
13 The king said to her, "Don't be afraid. What do you see?"
The woman said, "I see a spirit [a] coming up out of the ground."
14 "What does he look like?" he asked.
"An old man wearing a robe is coming up," she said.
Then Saul knew it was Samuel, and he bowed down and prostrated himself with his face to the ground.

Notice Samuel is seen 'as coming up from the ground'.

I mentioned all of these verses on this thread, it is easy enough for people to look them up if they are ignorant of them.

It is important for people to believe what is Scripturally correct if they wish to speak on such matters, and not just what they have heard from scholars or popular opinion.

All we can do as Christians, however, is tell the truth: not all believe us. Obviously, however, it is much harder to believe on matters of Heaven then it is on matters of earth, so this does not mean someone is not a Christian just because they embrace foolish notions of spiritual powers.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Familiar spirits are very real. They hang around and seem to be your friend, when all along they are planning your demise.

I have a dear friend - she had a familiar spirit which she said was her grandfather - she accepted that one, talked to it, considered it a friend, then another one came - she accepted that one also and then a third one came - after the third one, things started happening - I tried to talk to her and she laughed at me and said she would never get rid of those spirits because they were her friends.

She was always sick, always falling, breaking her leg - they started manifesting to her at night, she kept saying it was her sister that hated her and was trying to kill her.

You could walk in her house and feel the spirits.

I tried one more time to talk to her about it - she laughed at me and said I was the one with the bad spirits and that the ones she had were her friends.

The Holy Spirit drew the line for me - said dust off your feet and move on - this was very hard to do because she was my best friend.

All they are trying to do is kill you because they have lost control of you - I know you think it is a friend - it is not - sooner or later they will call in more forces and take you down little by little. It is not something to mess around with - walk around saying Jesus, Jesus, Jesus - see how many times it talks to you while you are proclaiming Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.