Upvote 0

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Hatred is a strong word. I can disagree with Christianity in virtually any form it takes and am not compelled by that dislike to go to hatred as the extreme.

Because God gave you a conscience to realize that. I would take that realization and explore it. Why do you think you feel that way?

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Because God gave you a conscience to realize that. I would take that realization and explore it. Why do you think you feel that way?

I'm gonna go with, it would be unnecessary and irrational to fly into a rage of hatred, because someone has different beliefs you find odd. It would accomplish nothing, other than fueling his own ego.

Upvote 0

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
I'm gonna go with, it would be unnecessary and irrational to fly into a rage of hatred, because someone has different beliefs you find odd. It would accomplish nothing, other than fueling his own ego.

Now youre talking about anger, which the bible also mentions.

I am talking about hate. Which can be found but not limited to the heart. I use the term "hate" to describe how i feel when people chew with their mouth open (smacking)... While I don't hate the person, I hate the action. aka a pet peeve. I do sometimes use the term "hate,' though I try not to. My defintion of love and hate is what I'm getting at and is pretty well-described in that commentary I left for you on that link.

Upvote 0

CryptoLutheran

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
✟12,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do Christians think atheism is a belief system?

Some do. Not all. I don't regard atheism as a belief system since atheism is defined the lack of belief in a theos.

Do Christians think that atheists hate (their) god?

Same as above. Though I think some atheists can be hostile to religious people, and I think it's possible to hate the idea of God/god(s), but that's on an individual basis, not some grand universal truth about those who don't have belief in the existence of some divine power.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Non Sequitur,

How is believing in God a belief system, but not believing in God is not a belief system? Doesn't everything we believe or not believe define our belief system? You beleive there is no God and I assume you build other corolary beliefs from that. Is that not a belief system?

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you have a very specific view of God"

To me that reads, "you have a very specific view of "

I can't have a specific view of something that is not.

Because you read "You have a very specific view of" Means you have indeed a very specific view of God. In that you will not or can not acknowledge his existence. Because this view is shared, it makes it a system of belief.

I believe you are talking about a theory.

A statement or opinion is something can either be proved or disproved, not facts.

fact   
[fakt]
–noun

- Something that actually exists; reality; truth
- A thing that is indisputably the case
- A truth known by actual experience or observation

Are you making up words or changing definitions?
My definition of "Fact" was taken from a 1980 Websters dictionary definition 3.

No, you can't.
If I can't then that means their are indeed qualifiers to your system of belief.

There are no qualifiers or beliefs-to-hold for a demonstrable reality to "be". Reality exists, whether you choose to believe it or not.
Then my belief in God does not disqualify me from being an atheist?

It's a perk.

You can't say my beliefs are I choose to not believe in something that doesn't exist.
Your "choice" includes an account or origins, a specific view on God and a commission to convert non believers. So yes I can. Otherwise what are you doing here defending your "beliefs?"
Well, you could, but you'd sound silly.
only to one who will not acknowledge the facts of the matter.

I'm sure your Jesus would be proud.
Indeed!:amen:
And, I'd wager I know more about Christianity than you do.
Your version of it or mine?^_^

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

solarwave

In regards to the two questions that were in the OP.

I thought I answered them but I will do.

Technically atheism isn't a belief system and for many people this is true, but for some people their atheism is stronger and means they believe there isn't a God. Some Christians understand this and some don't.

Well, since both can follow the crowd, etc., both apply across the board, the main difference is atheists views and beliefs can change. Christian beliefs can not.

Can't they? My beliefs have changed a fair amount from when I was brought up as a conservative Christian and I am now more liberal. It depends on the person and how they believe. Some Christians will hold tight to all their beliefs and some allow freedom of movement based on evidence and reason. I would suspect the same is true of atheists.

Since it was previously believed that smoking cigarettes were not harmful (even doctors recommended them), I would argue that it would be harder to make the change and stop smoking, given our new understanding, than it would be to just simply continue to smoke, even if compelling evidence might say otherwise; ears are closed if it contradicts.

It's easy to believe smoking is fine, if all you ever do is listen to the tobacco companies.

I'm not sure if I agree with what you are saying, but the addictive properties of smoking probably also have an affect.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Can't they? My beliefs have changed a fair amount from when I was brought up as a conservative Christian and I am now more liberal. It depends on the person and how they believe. Some Christians will hold tight to all their beliefs and some allow freedom of movement based on evidence and reason. I would suspect the same is true of atheists.

An atheist arrives at their conclusion on gods based on what they know of them. What I know to currently be true can always change.

My belief about the origin of life can change to something else.
My belief about the Christian God existing can change to believing in it.
My belief about anything can change.

Can or will your belief that Jesus died on your cross for all mankind's sins change to not believing that he did?

If yes, then you are unlimited in your ability to change.
If no, then you are limited in your ability to change.

One has the option to believe anything, and one has the option to believe anything, within a certain construct.

If I had the choice of picking any car and you had the choice of picking any model of Ford, my choice is more difficult to make.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There isn't such a thing as an atheist.

Definition of ATHEISM

archaic : ungodliness, wickedness

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Atheism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It is illogical and fallacious to attempt to prove a negative.

a·the·ist 
[ey-thee-ist]

–noun

a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Are you trying to say that there are no Christians, only Christianity?

Someone can't call themselves a Christian? The world will have to adopt and change everything to Christianity-following-individual?

Silly.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not a belief, it's a lack of belief.

No, It's sorta hard to hate something you don't even believe exist.
That's like asking if you hate Oden.

I wonder why many Christians don't think this...

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would be more of a guess, as I don't expect you to mind read.

Sorry :)
You'd be surprised by how many times I see post where Christians are claming to read others minds and Know what others are thinking.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry :)
You'd be surprised by how many times I see post where Christians are claming to read others minds and Know what others are thinking.

I hear that quite frequently.

The conversation usually goes as follows:

Me - "What's the number to the next winning lottery?"
Them - "Well I don't know things like that" or "It doesn't work that way."
Me - "Your superpowers kinda suck..."

Upvote 0