Christian thoughts on atheism

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Do Christians think atheism is a belief system?

Do Christians think that atheists hate (their) god?

Yes, atheism is a belief system that holds you back from other belief systems. Because you are not agreed upon one "creed" as a whole. It is extremely varied among atheists for their explanations of beliefs like the creation of the universe, philosophy, etc.

I believe atheists have disdain for THE God. Yet they "love" their god. We are beings made for worship. If you do not declare God as the One you worship, you will find another to worship. such as greed, accomplishments, materialism, addiction, pride, etc. Anything like this can be worshiped. We are made for religion and worship, and if you say we aren't, you are just tansposing that worship somewhere else.

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Hmmm possibly yes possibly not. I think there are many people who claim an atheistic outlook but probably haven't really put much thought to it, so in that case no. In other cases some atheists will have though long and hard about coming to that position, so that might then be. Although, does a belief in the non-existence of an entity constitute a belief, not sure. Sorry that's not a very useful answer.

Not especially.

On one level, they don't believe our God exists so can't hate Him, but some may hate some things some Christians have done through a belief in Him.
On the other level, do they hate the character of God that they can read of in The Bible. Some atheists may do so (His Dawkinsness being an example) others do not.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, atheism is a belief system that holds you back from other belief systems. Because you are not agreed upon one "creed" as a whole. It is extremely varied among atheists for their explanations of beliefs like the creation of the universe, philosophy, etc.

Hmm. I don't think you understand what atheism is.

Saying atheism is a belief system is like saying not going skiing is a hobby.

I’ve never been skiing. It’s my biggest hobby. I literally do it all the time.

I believe atheists have disdain for THE God.

There are quite a bunch of mental hops and jumps going on there, but I'll give you my thoughts on it.

I don't have a disdain for "THE God", as I don't believe in him. I can't very well not like something I don't believes exists; by definition, if it doesn't exist I can't make a decision to dislike it.

That would be like saying I have a disdain for churrupis, thyopinidies and amagoliciez. That would be nonsensical.

Yet they "love" their god.

I don't love any god, as we have established that I can't do so.

We are beings made for worship.

You are entitled to your opinion.

If you do not declare God as the One you worship, you will find another to worship. such as greed, accomplishments, materialism, addiction, pride, etc. Anything like this can be worshiped.

You are creating a faulty dilemma and assuming that I have no choice but to worship things you list.

First, I don't worship anything, I appreciate things.

Secondly, there are an infinite number of things I could choose to appreciate and you are kind of putting my decisions in a box.

We are made for religion and worship, and if you say we aren't, you are just tansposing that worship somewhere else.

That's a false dichotomy, with the alternative choice having many variations inside of it.

Kind of like saying, being traitor is the only alternative to being a loud patriot.

I hope you don't take any of this as trying to start a fight, but just as an argument for understanding my beliefs and definitions. Not acceptance of my understanding.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It is harder to be atheist than a believer.

To become an atheist takes much study and hard work.

To be a believer means simply follow the (peer) herd.

While study and hard work play a part, in my opinion, being an atheist is harder because it always has the ability to redefine itself, based on new information.

Accepting uncertainty, knowing that new information is always presenting itself and can change previous understandings, as a reality is a lot harder to do than rationalizing and arriving at a conclusion about things we can't demonstrably prove.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
For many people in the UK people just don't care if there is a God. For some they don't believe in God and for some they believe there is no God. So it depends.

Well, let's go with your thoughts on them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

solarwave

It is harder to be atheist than a believer.

To become an atheist takes much study and hard work.

To be a believer means simply follow the (peer) herd.

It is harder to be a believer than atheist.

To become a believer means dying to self to be raised in Christ and hard work.

To be an atheist means simply follow the (peer) herd.

I don't actually know which is harder, but both sides can follow the crowd (depending on your upbringing) and both can be hard (depending on style of worldview).

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It is harder to be a believer than atheist.

To become a believer means dying to self to be raised in Christ and hard work.

To be an atheist means simply follow the (peer) herd.

I don't actually know which is harder, but both sides can follow the crowd (depending on your upbringing) and both can be hard (depending on style of worldview).

Well, since both can follow the crowd, etc., both apply across the board, the main difference is atheists views and beliefs can change. Christian beliefs can not.

Since it was previously believed that smoking cigarettes were not harmful (even doctors recommended them), I would argue that it would be harder to make the change and stop smoking, given our new understanding, than it would be to just simply continue to smoke, even if compelling evidence might say otherwise; ears are closed if it contradicts.

It's easy to believe smoking is fine, if all you ever do is listen to the tobacco companies.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems so. You have an account for origins, your have a very specific view of God, you have out look on what happens after you die, and most of you take it upon yourselves to "Seek and save the lost." (Convert non believers.)

Who knows for sure, but Most do hate their perception of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It seems so. You have an account for origins, your have a very specific view of God, you have out look on what happens after you die, and most of you take it upon yourselves to "Seek and save the lost." (Convert non believers.)

Who knows for sure, but Most do hate their perception of Christianity.

Well faith has no part in my belief or non-belief in anything. I was under the impression that demonstrable facts were... demonstrable facts.

Are you calling a non-belief a belief system?

I have no belief in dogs, therefore I don't believe that I believe in not-dogs?

I hate my perception of Christianity or your perception of Christianity?

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you sure about that? Mine change fairly often.

I was talking about the central tenet of Christianity, which is the thing that then defines one as a "Christian".

Do you find yourself not believing that Jesus was the, only and one true, Son of God, who dies for our sins etc, occasionally?

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well faith has no part in my belief or non-belief in anything.
..And yet you and other atheists share a common set of beliefs concerning the topics I have listed. This unified set of beliefs can indeed be considered a "system of Beliefs." Faith is not apart of this particular equation.

I was under the impression that demonstrable facts were... demonstrable facts.
Not all facts are. A Fact is a statement that can either be proved or disproved. Not all "facts" are true. Faith comes in when one believes that "all" facts are true or "demonstrable."

Are you calling a non-belief a belief system?
Can I be an atheist if I believe in god?
If not the you must acknowledge that their are "rules" that determine who gets to be apart of your little club. Because there are those who can and can not be apart of what you believe, that makes what you believe a system of belief. (Like it or not)

I have no belief in dogs, therefore I don't believe that I believe in not-dogs?
Can I believe in Dogs and still be apart of a group who does not believe in dogs?

I hate my perception of Christianity or your perception of Christianity
apparently your understanding of either is very limited.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
..And yet you and other atheists share a common set of beliefs concerning the topics I have listed. This unified set of beliefs can indeed be considered a "system of Beliefs." Faith is not apart of this particular equation.

"you have a very specific view of God"

To me that reads, "you have a very specific view of "

I can't have a specific view of something that is not.

Not all facts are. A Fact is a statement that can either be proved or disproved. Not all "facts" are true. Faith comes in when one believes that "all" facts are true or "demonstrable."

I believe you are talking about a theory.

A statement or opinion is something can either be proved or disproved, not facts.

fact   
[fakt]
–noun

- Something that actually exists; reality; truth
- A thing that is indisputably the case
- A truth known by actual experience or observation

Are you making up words or changing definitions?

Can I be an atheist if I believe in god?
If not the you must acknowledge that their are "rules" that determine who gets to be apart of your little club. Because there are those who can and can not be apart of what you believe, that makes what you believe a system of belief. (Like it or not)

No, you can't.

There are no qualifiers or beliefs-to-hold for a demonstrable reality to "be". Reality exists, whether you choose to believe it or not.

It's a perk.

You can't say my beliefs are I choose to not believe in something that doesn't exist.

Well, you could, but you'd sound silly.

apparently your understanding of either is very limited.

And apparently you can't clarify questions, by simply responding and letting me know whether you were talking about my perception or yours.

I'm sure your Jesus would be proud.

And, I'd wager I know more about Christianity than you do.

Upvote 0