Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The pen and paper games are a matter of personal conviction: According to the people I know that have played, it is as Godly or as unGodly as you want it. IOW, you can have anything from a LOTR-like game to things I wouldn't even want to write about: it all depends on the persons in the game and managing it.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Today at 10:02 PM Susan said this in Post #23

The pen and paper games are a matter of personal conviction: According to the people I know that have played, it is as Godly or as unGodly as you want it. IOW, you can have anything from a LOTR-like game to things I wouldn't even want to write about: it all depends on the persons in the game and managing it.

Agreed. That's the nice thing about pen 'n paper RPGs. If you don't like something, you can change it.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 08:58 PM Servant77 said this in Post #21

Yes, true, but what about, say, D&D? How un-God-ly is that?

It isn't. It's whatever people make of it. There's nothing ungodly inherent in the game, although some people may bring those things with them to it.

Upvote 0

Greeter

The Space Invaders did not get by on me!
May 27, 2002
Pompano Beach, Fl
Visit site
✟29,474.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
27th March 2003 at 06:40 PM S Walch said this in Post #4

RPG's satanic???

o_O

There are infact - no christian RPG's that I can think of - Pete is right - nearly every single RPG has come from Japan - including *doesn't like it though* final fantasy.

I would also like to see why you consider some to be satanic....

i am heavily into RPG's becuas ethy provide fun - and fun when it isn't harming anyone is good!

Not all RPGs are satanic but many do have the potential for it.  Probably an over simplified way of looking at it is asking the question "is it Godly or not?"  If it is not Godly, unless you believe in a middle ground, then it is satanic.  Even if there is a middle ground it is possible for games to cross into the satanic.

Going by the above, how could a vampire game, where all the characters are vampires, serve God?  There are ways to do it but for the most part people who play vampire games, like LARPs (Live Action Role Playing), like to play vampires as they are portrayed in movies and books.  Vampires have trouble so much as looking upon the cross, get burned if they touch it, are cursed to walk the night, and often feed on the weak.

The only people I have ever witnessed who view vampirism as being anything less then a curse are Christians.  Everyone else is usually pretty happy to play a creature that is considered to be demonic.

As for "and fun when it isn't harming anyone is good!", while that can be accurate in many cases I think, we as Christians, need to be careful with it.  What about such games as Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City?  Playing these games doesn't harm anyone so that means they are ok?  In a roleplaying game you can pretty much play out anything that you can imagine.  What if a group of gamers wanted to play a campaign were the object was to kill as many innocent people as possible?  It may sound farfetched to a non-gamer but after 23 years in the hobby I have seen many such games.  Would you be comfortable playing such a game?  If you wanted to, you could play as Jesus in a roleplaying game, but would it be considered blasphemous?  It doesn't harm anyone so it must be ok, right?  Just something to think about.

Upvote 0

Greeter

May 27, 2002
Pompano Beach, Fl
Visit site
✟29,474.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
27th March 2003 at 11:56 PM paulewog said this in Post #9

I like Black Isle's :angel:

long live nerwinter nights :D

Neverwinter Nights is by far the best computer RPG I have ever seen.  The fact that it has a DM mode makes it ever nicer.

Having said that, how did you feel about the whole brothel scene and story line?  Did you find it disturbing at all?  I accidentally started picking up items for the brothel owner without knowing who she was.  Once I had all the items I sought her out and entered the brothel.  I got the money for the items and was invited to use the . . . "comforts" of the brothel but passed on it (I really didn't want to follow that route).

Some friends were over and had their teenage daughter with them.  She asked if she could use the computer while the rest of us were playing a game.  She wanted to play NN.  I asked her parents and they said it was ok.  At some point I walked back into the room and she was giggling.  I looked at the screen to find her character wandering around the brothel nude engaging in . . . "questionable" (ok, very wrong) activities.  Now maybe it is just me but I found that profoundly disturbing.  Otherwise I found it to be a good game but haven't played all the way through it yet.  Who knows what other mischief I will run across.

Upvote 0

Greeter

May 27, 2002
Pompano Beach, Fl
Visit site
✟29,474.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yesterday at 09:10 PM Susan said this in Post #19

From pen&paper RPG players:

http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/arcade/2964/

Good link but it should be noted that even they point out people need to be aware of questionable content in RPGs.

In reference to an earlier post, it should be noted that just because someone is Christian doesn't mean they are always right, or that all of their activities are Godly.  One of my favorite bumper stickers "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greeter

May 27, 2002
Pompano Beach, Fl
Visit site
✟29,474.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today at 04:43 PM Servant77 said this in Post #33

If you guys are interested in helping me make a Christian console RPG and a Christian paper/pencil RPG, then go to the creative writing forums and the thread titled, "Tell me what you think..." . Thanks! :)

I posted this in another thread about Christian RPGs:

Since paper and pen RPGs (the original RPGs) have been mentioned, there is a new game coming out soon using the D20 system (a relatively new and very popular system) that is based on the Bible, specifically the Old Testament at this point.

http://www.spel-info.nl/spellen/prevtestament271.htm

Maybe if it is popular enough it will become a computer game like Neverwinter Nights (also based on the d20 system).  I wouldn't be surprised if a mod for NN got made using the above if it gains enough popularity.

At rpg.net a very good point was brought up in asking if this is blasphemous or not.  Personally I haven't decided.  It is often mentioned in the roleplaying community how Jesus is basically nothing more then a 15th level wizard.  The person who is writing the above supplement mentions he is not a Christian but is trying to stay as true to the Bible as he can, especially the historical timeline.

In response to the above quote, what guidelines should be followed in making a Christian RPG?

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I don't think you can create a Christian RPG. It's just too complicated. I say just create a seperate world and mythology, and let the game evolve itself. With a Christian creating the game, it will be loaded de facto with currents of good & evil, justice & tyranny, etc, etc. With Christians creating the game, you know that it's not going to have graphic sexuality or overly gruesome violence. Usually good will be praised and evil will be punished. So I say, just have fun. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 07:34 AM Greeter said this in Post #27
Going by the above, how could a vampire game, where all the characters are vampires, serve God?  There are ways to do it but for the most part people who play vampire games, like LARPs (Live Action Role Playing), like to play vampires as they are portrayed in movies and books.  Vampires have trouble so much as looking upon the cross, get burned if they touch it, are cursed to walk the night, and often feed on the weak.

The only people I have ever witnessed who view vampirism as being anything less then a curse are Christians.  Everyone else is usually pretty happy to play a creature that is considered to be demonic.

I was in a vampire game where one of the PC's was a priest trying to find out whether or not vampires had souls, and if they did, convert them.

Upvote 0

Starscream

Mar 2, 2002
✟4,057.00
Today at 10:57 PM seebs said this in Post #36

I was in a vampire game where one of the PC's was a priest trying to find out whether or not vampires had souls, and if they did, convert them.

Vampire:  The Reckoning?  Not a bad game but I didn't get to play it much (Diablo 2 came out shortly after - mmmmmm....Diablo 2).

I haven't seen or heard of any Christian RPG's on any console or PC.  I have seen a couple of Christian action games though (i.e.  The War in Heaven) but they are always very, very lame.

I think any video game that is has a second agenda (whether to teach algebra or witness a religion) is absolutely doomed to failure.

(BTW, my father-in-law is always trying to mix Christianity and business and he once asked me to go into business with him to make a  make a Christian-based video game.  "shudder")

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wanted to say something on the topic of "Christian RPGs," and it's sort of spun off of my mini-rant in this post:

http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=744644#post744644

I'm an amateur writer, and while I'm not thinking of working on an RPG now, I have studied this issue for a while.

I have personally come to the decision that in things I write, I'm not going to preach a 10 point sermon. I'm not going to have characters praying all the time or making sure they get in their 3 daily chapters of the Bible.

What I am going to do is try my best to make people who read think about issues of eternity, and while I may have a character who is a Christian, while I may do a few other things of that nature, I am not going to shove it down anyone's throat or make what I write merely a 350 page tract.

Upvote 0

pace

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
✟8,995.00
Faith
Agnostic
28th March 2003 at 05:21 AM ScottEmerson said this in Post #8

I don't have a problem with a lot of RPG's, especially ones on gaming consoles. To me, they are a lot like reading a book, but it is interactive. I'm partial to Final Fantasies, as the majority of them (except VII for some reason) were PG rated. In fact, FFX brought up several issues that Christians should face: The nature of faith, the nature of false religion, the consequence of fallen clergy, and all done in a respectful way.

yeah, FF is great! FF7 which I personally liked.

They have a huge amount of morals, sociallism, romantism and philosophy. Lots of stuff younger people can grow on, but still as it is an entertaining product, it is so many things in one. It comforts me that so many younger people play this games, and I seriously think parents should look more into this serie and see for what it really is.

Upvote 0