I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Having in the past wrongly lumped all Christians under the umbrella of anti-environmentalism I understand now that Christians are as a diverse a population as any and that a great many Christians do believe that we should be good stewards of our planet. My question is not in regards to Christians but their leadership. I am almost certain that this will get highjacked into “I am not anti-environment” or “I am a Christian and I believe we need to take care of our planet” and so fourth. I must emphasize that this is not in regards to Christians.

Why does the Christian leadership take a strong stance against anything that promotes environmental responsibility? A few Christian leaders are showing a turn of sorts toward the view that this planet must be cared for in some manner. Many of these leaders are not being specific. They make broad statements like “to defile this planet is an offense to God” and promoting an attitude of leaving as small a footprint as possible. They are not subscribing to a finite theory per se such as the results of global warming and the level of human instigation. But rather they are making broad, all-encompassing, claims that in my eyes looks like a good strategy. They get a message across that life and the planet that supports it is a gift that should be taken care of. It is a message that anyone could subscribe to. It is a message that does not align them with any specific ideology other than promoting sustainability. It seems like an innocuous stance yet still they are shunned by the leadership.

Why is it the position of Christian leaders to make an effort to spread a message contrary to anything that ever so slightly has a whiff of “I care about the future of my planet” to it? Of all of the messages that the church could and should be getting out there in regards to say........I don’t know.................God.................Jesus perhaps why are they spending so much time and effort preaching against anyone that values conservation?

I will recognize the emergence of Evangelical environmental groups and my Christian and Conservative minded friends that are all concerned about the way we treat the planet and want to see us do better. But your leadership is killing you on this matter. Why are they so unwavering and adamant?

Craig