POChrist

Mar 30, 2017
Gloucester
✟11,669.00
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps this isn't what you're looking for, but Martin Scorsese's Silence is excellent for me. It's not a secular movie with hints about Christianity, it's clearly a movie about Catholic priests going on a mission. But it's the exact opposite what you think movies like this are - it's not about preaching or hammering some "correct" doctrine into your face, and if one goes in looking for that experience they're going to be in shock. It's more about dissecting and even destroying religion in the face of suffering and harrowing doubt until there is nothing left except...well I won't spoil it any further. But I sincerely recommend it. Hard watch, but worth it, at least for me. One of my favorite movies ever made, and there's some brutal honesty about it that I admire. I don't think that movie has a hidden agenda, it's not sneaky.

Also Bringing Out the Dead from the same director. Some of it's not subtle, some of it goes by without you ever noticing it. I didn't notice much of it myself until much later.

About music, Sufjan Stevens. A true musician. He's only made one clearly Christian album, but even that is honest and genuine, not preachy or trying to get some message through in a superficial way. Iron&Wine as well, a lot of Biblical imagery, alhtough he's not religious I think, somewhat critical of it at times. And good old Nick Cave, can't forget about him.

Thank you very much! Really appreciate this response. I will check out Silence. Looks good from what i've read so far. Been listening to the musicians you recommended, I like what I hear. Listened to a lot of Nick Cave previously.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
Hey. I was wondering if anyone knew of any films/tv series/games/books/music etc that has christian elements to them, but not too preachy if you know what I mean. More subtle.
Since what entertains us is subjective, it's difficult to make suggestions that may be helpful to you and you will get varieties of responses here. A sense of humor is helpful. Look for Christian comedians. Some are funny, others less so. If not Christian, I gravitate toward "clean" comedy. Faith based films are generally horrible, poorly made and portray Christians and non-believers as caricatures. There are a few I like. As far as secular movies go, is there any redemption shown? Bruce Willis' "16 Blocks" comes to mind. I avoid "downer" movies. There really isn't any television programs I follow, but the early years of "Modern Family" were entertaining. As I said, this is a subjective subject and I can only tell you what appeals to me.

• Useful
Reactions: POChrist
Upvote 0