Visit site
✟531.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never quite understood the differences in the different sects of christianity, and I've always had a habit of confusing myself over them. So, if there are any out there who can help explain them to me, I'd be very much appreciative.

BB

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it is helpful is getting a basic skeleton in your mind of the major groups that exist today as they emerged historically.

1. One holy catholic and orthodox Church -- 33 A.D. to present.

2. In great schism officially marked as occuring 1054 A.D. the separation of the Roman Catholic Church into it's own distict body occured when the patriarch of Rome broke communion with the other four patriarchs in existence at the time (in Constantinope, Antioch, Jerusalem, and Alexandria). Four of the five patriarchs, or bishops of major provinces, remained in communion with one another and became known as the Orthodox Church, which still exists as one unified body to this day.

3. The reformation which was in full swing by the 16th century led to many new denominations being formed as many broke off of what was a corrupt Roman Catholic Church at the time. Almost all the groups you are probably wondering about fall into this category. Rather than returning to earlier practices of the faith established by Christ and passed down in the Church, many of these groups resorted to trying to find their own way using the Bible alone as their guide to the Christian faith and practice (sola scriptura). This, obviously, let to much confusion and dissent among the newly formed protestant groups. This is why we have seen this group of Christians break apart, becoming more and more fragmented as time has passed. Without the true interpretation of scriptures being passed down as it was in the early church, man was left trying to make sense of scripture in a vacuum, without the historic context, in which it had always existed in before the reformation. Every reformer had his interpretation of what the scriptures meant, and all claimed to be led by the Holy Spirit in their interpetation.

My advice to you would be to look to the historic foundations of Christianity, which clearly show what the Church was intended to be. It's not a matter of following dead rituals from centuries ago, it's a matter of recapturing the dynamic faith that hundreds over the centuries have been willing to face death for, and many to give up fotunes to follow more closely. This faith is one that requires you to lay down your life and follow Christ. Not one that just requires you to sign off on a set of beliefs (and then keep stored in the religious file in your brain). I have personally found this in the Orthodox Church, which I mentioned above. If you want to know more about it, you are welcome to The Ancient Way on this website or look at these sites for info:

www.orthodoxinfo.com
www.oca.org

Basil

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The essence of Christianity is contained in several basic doctrines, often formulated as creeds. Outside that set of essential doctrines one is not a christian, although some still claim to be.

In addition to those basic doctrines there are interpretations of various biblical teachings that allow room for different interpretation. Examples would be the style of church government, infant or adult baptism, what holiness means.

Then there is the application of christian insights into the complex issues of today. Here there can be a variety of different views, because such issues were not tehre when the bible was written. On example is where does science and faith fit in?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Whitegravity

Universal Bard
Oct 28, 2004
El Paso...but not for long!
Visit site
✟531.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see, thanks, vanshan, I was sure history played a major role in how the differences in christian practice led to the different denominations today. It is still difficult for me to understand, however, I think it may be best to understand them if I compare them to one another. If I'm not mistaken judaism was the religion before christianity, right, and then Christ came to Earth... Oh I'm so very confused...

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that's exactly right. First God revealed Himself to the Jews and they were his people, Israel. It was the Jewish prophets who foretold of the coming of the Messiah, which was Jesus Christ. Not all Jews accepted Him as their Messiah, because they were expecting a Messiah who would come and establish His kingdom with them. Christ came and established a spiritual kingdom, not a worldy kingdom. When He came He declared, "The kingdom of God is at hand." meaning that now man can be rejoined to God through Christ.

We are all separted from God by our sin, which lead us to death. Christ came and gave His life on the cross and was resurrected three days later conquering death for us, so that through Him we can all have life and be part of the kingdom of God now and forever. Christ didn't establish a new religion, He came as the fulfillment of Judaism. The Church is the continuation of the faith of the Jews. We are the new Israel.

Basil

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is all about interpretation of Bible doctrine that creates schisms. There were different sects of Jewish people, and there are as many different point of views as there are people to have perspective about God. People that find themselves closer to agreement with each other on scripture naturally band together. The onlyway to find which one you would agree with would be to read the Bible prayerfully, asking for the Holy Spirit of God to reveal the spiritual truth contained in the Bible - seeking with all your heart. Jesus said that the words He spoke were spirit and life to those that really heard them.

Joh 6:63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

Jer 29:13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Upvote 0

Whitegravity

Universal Bard
Oct 28, 2004
El Paso...but not for long!
Visit site
✟531.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so I understand that various interpretations and historical events have resulted in the many sects of Christianity. But I still don't understand the key differences between the many of them...

eg.
Baptist->Pentecostal etc....

Upvote 0

Asar'el

Jun 3, 2004
Christchurch, NZ
✟2,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are far too many called by Christ's name to sumarize differences and similarities in a little post; it is, however, a worthy pursuit, and necessary (imho) for each of us to search out the truth of God.

There are not always 'key differences' between denominations; and many times one can, without offending conscience, attend the services of a different church - for sometimes these differences are quite minor.

Information for most (major, at least) denominations is not difficult to find; but as I say, sifting through it all is not a light task; but again I say, worthwile!

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Whitegravity said:
Ok, so I understand that various interpretations and historical events have resulted in the many sects of Christianity. But I still don't understand the key differences between the many of them...

eg.
Baptist->Pentecostal etc....
Hi there!

:wave:

It is better to look at the doctrines that are true throughout Christianity. For example, how one views the end times does not affect their salvation... so if one is a premillenialist, it's okay... amillenialist.... it's okay.

Not every doctrinal difference splits Christianity into sects. Christianity is still the belief that through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, that we have a way to reconciled to God, by knowing we are lost and in need of a Savior.

There are a lot of doctines that don't affect the plan of salvation, but rather, the way one walks in their Christian walk.

~serapha~

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think it may be best to understand them if I compare them to one another.

Just so you might understand....

We, Christians, can come together

:groupray:

and pray for your salvation....

without any discussion of doctrines.

But mention doctrines, and someone takes the pulpit to preach.

:preach:

It gets old

:sleep:

and confusing

:scratch:

and somewhere along the way, the purpose gets lost.

:cry:

It is better to look at the common thread of Jesus Christ

~serapha~

Upvote 0

he_is_risen!!

All ways in need of help
Oct 24, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟7,907.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Christianianity is a very diverse faith with several different types. Each one of the types has a differnt way of worship and fellowship but all Christian denominations beleave that Jesus Christ is the Risen Savior and they follow that Bible. True Chrsitan Denominations don't add to it or take away from it. That means additional books that substatute the Bible or are in addition to the Bible. We beleave in the Bible and what it teaches.

Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Prodistant, ect. are all Christian denominations. They differ in that they have different ways of worship and fellowship.

There are, however other religions that say that they're Christian but aren't. Two examples are Mormans and Jehova's Witnesses. Yes they beleave in the Bible but they alter it and choose what to beleave and what not to beleave

I personally don't even know of all the Christan Denominations, so even I have to research them so make sure that they are truely Christian.

Here are some of the basic requiremant for a Christian church:
-Jesus is the Risen Savior who died for the world and then rose from the died
-That Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit form the Trinity each one separate but all in one
-You have to have a personal relationship w/ God to be saved
-That all sins can be forgiven adn that all you have to do is ask for forgiveness adn you'll get it.
-He loves you no matter what and never turns His back on you

PLease if I left some out let me know. those are just the ones that I could think of off the top of my head.

Reactions: lowB
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

issa

pray for the peace of Jerusalem
Sep 21, 2004
Ortigas
✟20,936.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
i agree that we need to focus more on the common factor -Jesus. we need to be united otherwise how will the world believe?

but i can also empathize with white gravity for his question for even i, as a believer would like to know the basic differences between different churches so i will be able to understand them more. maybe there is a site that has a basic/page-long summary of the major churches (like the ones enumerated here in cf) that will be a quick guide?

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
vanshan said:
3. The reformation which was in full swing by the 16th century led to many new denominations being formed as many broke off of what was a corrupt Roman Catholic Church at the time. Almost all the groups you are probably wondering about fall into this category. Rather than returning to earlier practices of the faith established by Christ and passed down in the Church, many of these groups resorted to trying to find their own way using the Bible alone as their guide to the Christian faith and practice (sola scriptura). This, obviously, let to much confusion and dissent among the newly formed protestant groups. This is why we have seen this group of Christians break apart, becoming more and more fragmented as time has passed. Without the true interpretation of scriptures being passed down as it was in the early church, man was left trying to make sense of scripture in a vacuum, without the historic context, in which it had always existed in before the reformation. Every reformer had his interpretation of what the scriptures meant, and all claimed to be led by the Holy Spirit in their interpetation.
While Basil has give the History of the church in his own biased viewpoint I wish to address this paragraph. He may be correct in his assertion that other Protestant denominations or sects have become fragmented and even for that matter so has the denomination I belong to which is the Lutheran Church.

While the Lutheran Church has it's Liberal and Conservative groups we differentiate Sola Scriptura from Nuda Scriptura. Nuda Scriptura is making sense of Scripture in a vacuum whereas Sola Scriptura is saying that God gave the canon to the church which passed it along to believers. The church did not truly define the canon of Scripture by itself or with the use of Tradition handed down by Church Fathers. Do we see some of the books of the New Testament more inspired than others? Yes we do, but that doesn't take away those books from the canon, but puts them in priority.

We still see Baptism as something that God does and see it as a means of Grace through which we receive forgiveness of sins. We do not recognize, as do some protestants, that we have anything to do with our salvation and that it is God working in us through his Holy Spirit to bring about the salvation merited to Christ on the Cross.

We see the Real Presence in Holy Communion though we disagree with the Catholics and Eastern Orthodox about Transubstantiation. We recognize that his real presence is in the Bread and Wine and it is a mystery that we are also taking the Body and Blood of Christ.

Just don't lump the Lutherans in with the Baptists or Pentecostals because we are Apples and they are definitely Oranges.

Upvote 0

lowB

Nov 8, 2004
Visit site
✟7,655.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another way is this: some Christian churches are in different groups simply because of the different people in them... e.g. chinese, korean, etc...

Also, different Churches have slightly different interpretation on some things... E.g. some view Baptism as symbolic while others view it as literal... I dont have all answers as well :) Hope this helps

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
as with your monitor ... display adapter .... 16 , 256 , 16 bit , 24 bit ... colors ...
Christians by definition , glorify Jesus as the Messiah , the Christ [ anointed one and the anointing - Isaiah 61.1-3 ] ; the exceptions being cults , who have a second monitor , like for autocad drawings ... a second book in addition to the Bible [ book of mormon , habib .... ] .

Some have a different operating system ... Jehovah's witnesses rewrite John 1.1 ... deny the trinity .. God has 2 hand puppets , Jesus and the Holy Spirit ... different manifestations of God , not 3 persons ... peripherals , not 1 tower with 3 processors ...

Some say there is one God , Jesus , and the father and spirit are 2 manifestations of Jesus ... Apple , Atari , Commodore v's IBM ... unique operating system , quasi compatible with other models ...

All computers are similar in how they work , and what is within them [ analgous ] ; but as far as software ... day to day use , differ ... protestants , catholics , Jews , Moslems all recognize God the father ; the Pentaeuch [ 1st 5 books of the Bible , the Law ; the patriarchs ] , yet disagree on who Jesus was ... messiah , prophet , man of God .. peripheral v's processor ... software v's hardware ..

Catholics recognize 7 sacraments , protestants 2 or 4 ; yet in practice both do the same things , for similar reasons , and cite similar verses as reason for doing them ..
types , shades , ... sliding scale of priorities ... word , communion , ministry , flock , operation , outreaches , accountability ...
Catholics are into traditions of the fathers , marytrs...
Baptists were into adult baptism and the study of the Bible
Evangelicals are into evangelism
Pentecostals are into witness , power , signs , wonders , charisms ... gifts of the Spirit
Lutheran's , Anglicans , Methodists ... doctrines of the synod , articles of faith

Upvote 0

Shelia

Oct 7, 2004
Alabama
✟121.00
Faith
Baptist
Locket said:
I get the Jewsih.Catholic/Protestant stuff.

But even as a Christian and a PK I still get confused over Baptist/Mormon/Nazarene/ Presbyterian/etc. stuff.
I certainly don't know everything. Here are some basics;
Church of Christ...no music in church, does not believe Jesus's birthday is 12/25, believes you must be baptized in order to be saved (I don't get this...what if you are in a car wreck on the way to get dunked?)
Baptist..believes it is His birthday, does music, dunks folks to symbolize baptism (or acceptance of Christ)
Methodists...sprinkles vs. dunking, otherwise I think they believe as the Baptists do
Mormon...has an additional book to the Bible and believes it to be authentic (the Book of Mormon, many have many children, some are polygymists

This is the best I have to offer. I hope I did not mess up or offend anyone. I just wanted to give this dude some very basic info. I'm sorry I don't know any more. Try visiting different churches to see which one fits you or to just satisfy your curiosity. That's what I have done.
If anyone can give better info, be my guest. I don't mind at all.
Shelia

Upvote 0