Falkirk
✟8,638.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am new here and thought I'd say hi. The main reason I am here is that I have questions about God, but I also want fellowship with other Christians. I've been struggling to find a church to go to for various reasons, so this will be my only fellowship for now. In the past, I was fortunate to enjoy a choice of many churches to go to. I moved to the UK and found it quite different from what I was used to. There seem to be very few Christians here in the UK, which I have found weirdly unsettling as it is different from where I am from, and this has led me to question my faith at times. I ended up joining an online portal for a thriving church in Texas, but I just ended up feeling really sad and yearning for fellowship.

GemSqaush

Sep 26, 2023
Falkirk
✟8,638.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello! I'm an American and have been living in England for over 20 years. It was definitely a culture shock for me coming here from the Southern US where talking about Jesus is as natural as talking about the weather and finding that almost no one in England talks or cares about Christianity.

I hope we can help each other, if needed, and wanted to say HI!!
Hi Misty-Dawn, How lovely to hear from you and that you understand (I sometimes thought it was just me). It is very different. Like you say, where I am from, we could say I will pray for you, or God bless you. This is not really done here. How do you manage? Did you find a church eventually and some Christian friends? I feel that before, I was very spoilt for choice and that the churches were warm and welcoming and a bit more free. How do you manage? Thanks so much for your answer. It means the world to me!

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the forum @GemSqaush . I glad you are still looking for the truth after doubting. It’s OK to doubt but doing the work of believing results in continuing in Christ. Good for you to be here.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Misty-Dawn, How lovely to hear from you and that you understand (I sometimes thought it was just me). It is very different. Like you say, where I am from, we could say I will pray for you, or God bless you. This is not really done here. How do you manage? Did you find a church eventually and some Christian friends? I feel that before, I was very spoilt for choice and that the churches were warm and welcoming and a bit more free. How do you manage? Thanks so much for your answer. It means the world to me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I am new here and thought I'd say hi. The main reason I am here is that I have questions about God, but I also want fellowship with other Christians. I've been struggling to find a church to go to for various reasons, so this will be my only fellowship for now. In the past, I was fortunate to enjoy a choice of many churches to go to. I moved to the UK and found it quite different from what I was used to. There seem to be very few Christians here in the UK, which I have found weirdly unsettling as it is different from where I am from, and this has led me to question my faith at times. I ended up joining an online portal for a thriving church in Texas, but I just ended up feeling really sad and yearning for fellowship.
welcome! sorry about the lack of fellowship in the UK that must not be very fun. Even though i'm in the US i live in CA and it is very liberal and not many Christians are here either, but i know it's not the UK. I'm introverted so i can relate to using online methods for fellowship. Hope you have a good time and meet new friends :) I believe Jesus can use the internet as a tool to reach His Children

Reactions: GemSqaush
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome!

Reactions: GemSqaush
Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,727.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Welcome Gemsquash! Your the second one recently to have joined from the UK and looking for a church. I don't have any advice for that as I don't know much about the Christian Churches in the UK. What kind of church did you attend before and what are you looking for in a church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GemSqaush

Sep 26, 2023
Falkirk
✟8,638.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome Gemsquash! Your the second one recently to have joined from the UK and looking for a church. I don't have any advice for that as I don't know much about the Christian Churches in the UK. What kind of church did you attend before and what are you looking for in a church?
The churches were well attended from where I am from.

There was a warmth and casualness about them. Lots of love, invites to different homes, etc., and friendship in abundance. I am also careful about what I consider heretic churches. I don't want to sound judgemental, but I stick to the bible.

We would chat after meetings, and there were home cell groups, and you could make friends through church, too. Coffee shops and all sorts were attached so that people could meet up.

Here, it is very organized, for example, the Church of Scotland or Anglican, etc., not many Bible-based churches but a few that are copying prosperity churches, which I don't want to go to. The churches I've attended seem cold, dried up, and dull. It's tough to explain, but in the UK, I haven't met anyone who believes in Christ or God (except for church-going people).

Also, people don't like to discuss their faith. My hairdresser goes to church, and I asked her where, and she got almost suspicious. she didn't want to share or offer an invite, for example. You know, maybe I am being silly and didn't see God when he did call me. Years ago, when I arrived in the UK, I was walking funny as I left a community hall (random community hall) and had a sore back. A man followed me, and when I sat on the wall for some relief, he approached me and asked me if I was OK he could help in any way. It turned out he was a Christian; he was very nice. He told me which church he went to also. I wasn't paying attention, I guess. I think the Lord just reminded me of that!

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The churches were well attended from where I am from.

There was a warmth and casualness about them. Lots of love, invites to different homes, etc., and friendship in abundance. I am also careful about what I consider heretic churches. I don't want to sound judgemental, but I stick to the bible.

We would chat after meetings, and there were home cell groups, and you could make friends through church, too. Coffee shops and all sorts were attached so that people could meet up.

Here, it is very organized, for example, the Church of Scotland or Anglican, etc., not many Bible-based churches but a few that are copying prosperity churches, which I don't want to go to. The churches I've attended seem cold, dried up, and dull. It's tough to explain, but in the UK, I haven't met anyone who believes in Christ or God (except for church-going people).

Also, people don't like to discuss their faith. My hairdresser goes to church, and I asked her where, and she got almost suspicious. she didn't want to share or offer an invite, for example. You know, maybe I am being silly and didn't see God when he did call me. Years ago, when I arrived in the UK, I was walking funny as I left a community hall (random community hall) and had a sore back. A man followed me, and when I sat on the wall for some relief, he approached me and asked me if I was OK he could help in any way. It turned out he was a Christian; he was very nice. He told me which church he went to also. I wasn't paying attention, I guess. I think the Lord just reminded me of that!
Well it is my understanding that the UK does have the organized church line Church of Scotland etc. I saw where you are from and did a Google search. It looks like there are some others churches as well. I would just Google some and maybe just do some shopping. Try a bunch of different ones. I don't know if you are up for any Protestant or Evangelicals or if you are set on a more Orthodox type. Not trying to steer you one way or another. Just encouraging you not to give up.

The UK definitely is different. May the Lord assist you in finding a home.

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0