N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes! Science is finding that it's not the whole package of LDL cholesterol but the LPa part. My medical doctor on YouTube has made me healthier.
Well, he uses the term "LDL cholesterol", which does not exist. LDL is a lipoprotein carrier of cholesterol. However, such a common mistake can be forgiven when its a "common speech" youtube format having 8 minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My diet is relatively high in cholesterol with daily consumption of pork and full fat milk, also some veggies like chili, beans, and green leafy vegetables and resistant starch rice.

Otherwise, my sugar consumption is relatively low. I never had any dental problems since birth for 42 years now as proof of that despite only brushing my teeth (I don't use mouthwash nor dental floss) and don't go to the dentist for cleaning.

But I'm also physically active most of my life (long, fast walking used to be my primary exercise). I did become sedentary for 4 years which ended in me having hypertension so I went back to getting physically active again with exercise and now with exercise + intermittent fasting.

Got my blood pressure back to normal without meds. Body fat% and BMI down to athletic level. Exercise + intermittent fasting might actually increase cholesterol level in the blood but this is due to more fat being metabolized but would also increase HDL against LDL which is good.

Exercise. Avoid eating constantly during the day, avoid snacking or caloried drinks in the middle of the night, avoid junk food, avoid processed foods, don't indulge in sweets - this is how ancient humans used to live and that pretty much the way to live healthy.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What about the Randle Cycle? Carbohydrates and fats compete for energy processing in cells (and the combination of fats and carbohydrates in meals is basically non-existent in natural food, its a modern thing).

Exercising in fasted state and eating with restraint (as opposed to indulgence) would prevent problems you could have with high fat and high carb diet.

Animals who are very physically active like birds and bats also live on diets that combine high fat and high carbs. High-fat insects and high carb fruits are staple food for many species of omnivorous birds and bats. It's not a problem if energy demand is high.

Everyday, I do 1 hr of running with 1,000 ft of elevation gain. On Saturdays, it can be nearly 6 hrs nonstop cycling ride with 5,500 elevation gain in the mountains. I do these workouts without eating nor drinking without any problems. An impossible thing to do if your metabolism and mitochondria is impaired.

I didn't know about the Randle thing until you told me. The Holy Spirit is wise above all else. Holy Spirit told me many things to stay healthy but two things stood out which is exercise and fasting and combining those two - exercising in fasted state.

Flooding the system with glucose on top of fatty acids is expected to induce considerable damage to the mitochondria if energy demand is not concomitantly increased. An overabundant diet rich in carbohydrates and fat (184) should force-feed electrons from glucose into the respiratory chain, in which the already prevailing high ΔΨ prevents electron flow. This excessive energy supply, not matched by energy demand, will further worsen the jamming of electrons in the respiratory chain and eventually result in massive ROS production and mitochondrial damage (Fig. 7). In addition, a saturated flux through the glycolytic pathway could result in an overflow into the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway leading to protein glycosylation by O-linked β-N-acetylglucosamine (67, 106, 192). The persistent combination of these two effects probably explains glucose toxicity. By contrast, the beneficial effects of physical activity and muscle exercise could prevent mitochondrial damage by decreasing ΔΨ and favoring the overall oxidation of substrates to fulfill the increased energy demand.

• Informative
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exercising in fasted state and eating with restraint (as opposed to indulgence) would prevent problems you could have with high fat and high carb diet.

Animals who are very physically active like birds and bats also live on diets that combine high fat and high carbs. High-fat insects and high carb fruits are staple food for many species of omnivorous birds and bats. It's not a problem if energy demand is high.

Everyday, I do 1 hr of running with 1,000 ft of elevation gain. On Saturdays, it can be nearly 6 hrs nonstop cycling ride with 5,500 elevation gain in the mountains. I do these workouts without eating nor drinking without any problems. An impossible thing to do if your metabolism and mitochondria is impaired.

I didn't know about the Randle thing until you told me. The Holy Spirit is wise above all else. Holy Spirit told me many things to stay healthy but two things stood out which is exercise and fasting and combining those two - exercising in fasted state.

Flooding the system with glucose on top of fatty acids is expected to induce considerable damage to the mitochondria if energy demand is not concomitantly increased. An overabundant diet rich in carbohydrates and fat (184) should force-feed electrons from glucose into the respiratory chain, in which the already prevailing high ΔΨ prevents electron flow. This excessive energy supply, not matched by energy demand, will further worsen the jamming of electrons in the respiratory chain and eventually result in massive ROS production and mitochondrial damage (Fig. 7). In addition, a saturated flux through the glycolytic pathway could result in an overflow into the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway leading to protein glycosylation by O-linked β-N-acetylglucosamine (67, 106, 192). The persistent combination of these two effects probably explains glucose toxicity. By contrast, the beneficial effects of physical activity and muscle exercise could prevent mitochondrial damage by decreasing ΔΨ and favoring the overall oxidation of substrates to fulfill the increased energy demand.

I deleted my post about the Randle cycle and created a specific thread, instead. Because its a bit a different topic for this thread which is more about cholesterol. You probably still had it in your browser's cache.

I guess you are right that if you exercise a lot, you may mitigate some of the problems with the Randle cycle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, exercise is key to longevity. Lean muscle mass is extremely important as you age because that our glucose storage organ.
I agree that some kind of a movement is important, together with lean muscle mass.

Regarding glucose - our body can produce its own glucose (gluconeogenesis) and to cover all the needs, mainly for brain. Any gram of glucose we eat in our diet goes on the top of that and becomes potentially toxic for our body, so it needs to deal with it as fast as possible (to use it as a priority for energy or to transform it to fat).

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that some kind of a movement is important, together with lean muscle mass.
It will take more than just movement. As we age, we lose muscle, so protein intake and exercise are very important for geriatrics, and it helps structural support. Saturated fats should be kept to a minimum. I quite taking my statins because of the misconceptions about LDL cholesterol. Science has found that LP(a) is the culprit to heart health. Peace

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I guess you are right that if you exercise a lot, you may mitigate some of the problems with the Randle cycle.

The Randle cycle, also accounts for "energy supply" not just "energy demand". Damage to mitochondria occurs when the energy supply greatly exceeds energy demand.

Many people can't control themselves in eating so I made a simple suggestion of exercising a lot because I see many people who are still overweight despite exercising and the culprit - they indulge in eating and don't exercise enough.

But if you don't eat a lot, you don't have to exercise a lot.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Regarding glucose - our body can produce its own glucose (gluconeogenesis) and to cover all the needs, mainly for brain. Any gram of glucose we eat in our diet goes on the top of that and becomes potentially toxic for our body, so it needs to deal with it as fast as possible (to use it as a priority for energy or to transform it to fat).

With intermittent fasting, my body is adapted to quickly transforming glucose to fat if I don't exercise.

Every several weeks, I take a whole week hiatus from exercise to give my body time to concentrate on repairing damaged tissues, strengthening bones, etc. Although I still continue with intermittent fasting (IF) with same diet and same daily calories. Otherwise, I feel exactly the same. No ill feelings, no lack of energy, and vitals remaining identical as with weeks that have exercising.

I'd gain several lbs in weight during the no exercise week but most of it in water retention. I'd quickly lose all that weight in just a matter of few days when I resume exercising.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Atherosclerosis, plaque in the arteries, can still happen in the absence of significant inflammatory processes, if there is a dysfunction in lipid metabolism (often due to genetics), or excessive amounts of dietary saturated fat are consumed. Not everybody with atherosclerosis will have a heart attack, of course, but atherosclerosis is widespread in populations with high intake of saturated fat.

• Agree
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
atherosclerosis is widespread in populations with high intake of saturated fat.
Epidemiological studies are a dead science. The life of individuals outside of controlled conditions is so unpredictable, that these statistical findings can have no clinical practice impacts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Epidemiological studies are a dead science.

The evidence for saturated fat causing atherosclerosis is based on more than just epidemiology. Having said, that the notion that epidemiology is "dead science" is just flat out wrong. Epidemiology has been an important part of many public health advances in the 20th century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The evidence for saturated fat causing atherosclerosis is based on more than just epidemiology.
Nope. It actually is not even based on epidemiology. When the epidemiologic studies are done right, without data cherrypicking or manipulation, there is no significant correlation between saturated fats and any CVD.

Having said, that the notion that epidemiology is "dead science" is just flat out wrong. Epidemiology has been an important part of many public health advances in the 20th century.
Observational studies are more a sociology than for establishing health guidelines. Using it for recommendations what to do or what to eat is a dead and lazy science.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
saturated fat causing atherosclerosis
It's damage to the arteries is the cause and cholesterol is the reaction of the inflammatory response. Then fats exasperate the problem through buildup onto the cholesterol.

What causes atherosclerosis?
Plaque buildup in the arteries starts with damage to the arteries. Risk factors such as unhealthy lifestyle habits, medical conditions, or your genes, can lead to this damage.

Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's damage to the arteries is the cause and cholesterol is the reaction of the inflammatory response. Then fats exasperate the problem through buildup onto the cholesterol.

What causes atherosclerosis?
Plaque buildup in the arteries starts with damage to the arteries. Risk factors such as unhealthy lifestyle habits, medical conditions, or your genes, can lead to this damage.
What causes the initial damage to the arterial walls, though? I was able to google smoking, but the rest seems quite vague, like "lifestyle".

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What causes the initial damage to the arteries walls, though? I was able to google smoking, but the rest seems quite vague, like "lifestyle".
The article says metabolic diseases High blood pressure diabetes. The lining of the arteries is smooth but when a micro fracture happens then cholesterol acts as a banda aid then stuff fats in the blood stream starts to build up from my understanding.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The article says metabolic diseases High blood pressure diabetes. The lining of the arteries is smooth but when a micro fracture happens then cholesterol acts as a banda aid then stuff fats in the blood stream starts to build up from my understanding.
Ah, yes, high blood pressure makes sense.

Upvote 0