Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's most associated with the chairman and CEO of the company Dan Cathy (the company is still largely owned by the Cathy family)

I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’ and I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is about,”

And millions of dollars of corporate donations to anti-marriage-equality groups in the early 2000s (including one group founded by then Chick-fil-A vice-president Donald Cathy).

The company has tried to fly more under the radar in the 2010s, and try to focus on selling chicken sandwiches and not arouse controversy with its corporate giving. Dan Cathy said it was "a mistake" to "support political or social agendas" with its charitable giving.

Perversely, it is the religious right that is demanding that the restaurant stand for something it no longer wants to publicly stand for.

Where in your quote has the CEO ( not the company, just the CEO) said anything anti gay? Where is the company's anti gay rhetoric?

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's most associated with the chairman and CEO of the company Dan Cathy (the company is still largely owned by the Cathy family)

I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’ and I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is about,”

On the contrary, this comment is definitely about opposing same-sex marriage, which is not the same as being "anti-gay."

And millions of dollars of corporate donations to anti-marriage-equality groups in the early 2000s (including one group founded by then Chick-fil-A vice-president Donald Cathy).
Same here.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary, this comment is definitely about opposing same-sex marriage, which is not the same as being "anti-gay."

Same here.
It's something gays wanted and which there s no good reason to deny them, so it is in a sense anti-gay.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's something gays wanted...
Oh, it's something that 'gays' "wanted." Just imagine how many other things "gays" (a completely monolithic group, apparently) might "want!" And any objection by other people--for any reason whatsoever--is thereby "anti-gay."

:destroyed:

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, it's something that 'gays' "wanted." Just imagine how many other things "gays" (a completely monolithic group, apparently) might "want!" And any objection by other people--for any reason whatsoever--is thereby "anti-gay."

:destroyed:

If you can't come up with a good reason why we shouldn't be allowed to marry and only rely on the old "because the Bible says so" then don't be surprised if we consider you anti-gay.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's something gays wanted and which there s no good reason to deny them, so it is in a sense anti-gay.

If I want something you have and IMO there is no good reason for you to not give me one too, is it because you are anti- GTAW if you don't think that giving me one would be the best option? What if you have what you believe is a good reason and I just don't agree with you ? Should you be expected to change your belief in order to suit me or be considered anti -GTAW?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you can't come up with a good reason why we shouldn't be allowed to marry and only rely on the old "because the Bible says so" then don't be surprised if we consider you anti-gay.
Not buying the diversion, my friend.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is more than that. Like the story of the fiery furnace, the founders of CFA, who identify themselves as Christians, caved to the pressures of wickedness and worshiped the golden statue of their king. If CFA never professed to being a Christian company, sure...nobody would care. But for many Christian's, to include myself, it is like seeing a Christian brother turn his back on God's word. It is about "saving them from death and covering a multitude of sins".
James 5:19-20

So this isn't about anti-Christian hate groups?

It's about Christians once again judging the Christian-ness of other Christians and being disappointed?

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Where in your quote has the CEO ( not the company, just the CEO) said anything anti gay? Where is the company's anti gay rhetoric?

Drawing a line between anti-SSM and anti-gay is as nit-picking as drawing a line between segregation and racism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If I want something you have and IMO there is no good reason for you to not give me one too, is it because you are anti- GTAW if you don't think that giving me one would be the best option? What if you have what you believe is a good reason and I just don't agree with you ? Should you be expected to change your belief in order to suit me or be considered anti -GTAW?
I have no idea what GTAW is. But the gays don't want something you have.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Seems to me that when asking someone to do something for one it ought to be the one doing the asking that needs to come up with a good reason for granting the request.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me that when asking someone to do something for one it ought to be the one doing the asking that needs to come up with a good reason for granting the request.
It doesn't have to be a very good reason if it isn't costing you anything. Keep in mind as well that they are not asking it of you, they're asking it of a secular state.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Drawing a line between anti-SSM and anti-gay is as nit-picking as drawing a line between segregation and racism.

Nonsense. Herding people into areas and restricting them from others based solely upon their natural skin color is nothing like not giving government rewards to people for no particular reason.

• Winner
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I'm anti-GTAW since I don't know what that is. But I know I'm pro-chicken.
Maybe we should have a prize for the first person who says he doesn't know the meaning of GTAW after reading a post by "grasping the after wind," and then raises his hand after figuring it out. :D

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't have to be a very good reason if it isn't costing you anything. Keep in mind as well that they are not asking it of you, they're asking it of a secular state.

I am a citizen of that secular state and therefore they are asking it of me as well. I see no reason why I or the secular state should be involved in their personal lives. I would need a good reason to want either the secular state or myself to become so involved.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nonsense. Herding people into areas and restricting them from others based solely upon their natural skin color is nothing like not giving government rewards to people for no particular reason.

The 14th Amendment and several Supreme Court rulings demonstrate you're wrong.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if I'm anti-GTAW since I don't know what that is. But I know I'm pro-chicken.

That would be anti me. GTAW being short for grasping the after wind. I am definitely anti- chicken to the point that I am content to have them done away with for my own eating pleasure. I can't very well expect to be considered pro chicken while chewing on their smoking dead carcasses.

• Haha
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I am a citizen of that secular state and therefore they are asking it of me as well. I see no reason why I or the secular state should be involved in their personal lives. I would need a good reason to want either the secular state or myself to become so involved.
Why not? They are involved in exactly the same way in the lives of heterosexual couples.

Upvote 0