Colorado
✟432,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I substituted for a friend once as a Salvation Army bell ringer once, outside WalMart.

Wont be doing that again so long as they refuse to recognize the humanity of everyone.

From their own website:
"At times, The Salvation Army has joined other religious organizations in solidarity on issues like religious liberty and the traditional definition of marriage."

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When a person says "by some folks," he has almost certainly insulated himself against being wrong...technically speaking. There are always going to be "some" exceptions to any observation like yours.

However, I can assure you that your hunch is incorrect as far as the great majority are concerned. I know the suspicion exists and that you don't have to believe me, but I know from experience and have witnessed enough to tell you without hesitation that it's dead wrong.

That was more or less me trying to express the opposite. I think that the overwhelming majority of people who oppose same sex rights are anti-gay. This "I just support traditional marriage, but I'm not anti-gay" is just a word game (as I said before).

If you want to limit the rights of "group XYZ" when said rights wouldn't impact you negatively in any tangible way, that's an anti-"group XYZ" position...I don't see any other way to slice it.

But here's a chance for you to clarify..., explain to me, in your own words, how one can not be "anti-gay", but still ardently support policies that deliberately try to deprive gay people of an equal right or treatment (that's not negatively impacting anyone else in any way)?

...and I don't mean the canned answer I've heard from others...that whole bit about "We don't hate the person, we just don't like the act so the restrictions we want are just aimed at the act, not the people" since that's a disingenuous answer when it's someone's rights we're talking about.

Here's where I'll play the part of Crowder :)

upload_2019-12-3_13-19-0.png

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
I see the reverse here. If a business dares to support Christian ministries, it brings down the wrath of the the highly intolerant religious bigots upon it, as has occurred...hence, what appears to be a flip flop (though I'm not sure it is...only the leadership knows if they are caving).

And in this “flip flop”they have brought the wrath of Mike Huckabee down on them. Even though it isn’t a flip flop at all. They are just changing who is receiving their donations. Instead of donating to Salvation Army and the FCA like they have in the past they are focusing on groups that support education and fight homelessness and hunger. I can’t imagine anyone being upset by that but there are Christians who are. Why?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Boycotts only hurt the workers not the owners. If chik-fil-a was somehow affected by a boycott workers would be the first to go, the owners will always be ok.

I'd actually modify that sentiment...

Boycotts only hurt workers IF the owners refuse to listen to what a large enough majority of the population is expressing with their boycott.

In this case, it sounds like the owners listened to what the people were saying and adjusted some of their fiscal policies with regards to support of other organizations.

If 70% of the population hates something a business owner is doing so much that they're refusing to patronize their business, if the business owner decides to dig their heels in and go with the 30% that are either in support of them or indifferent, they...as well as their employees, will feel it in the pocketbook.

In most cases, business owners are smart (they don't get to be on the executive team of a fortune 500 company by not having an ear for the market trends).

Boycott outcomes, more often than not, end up with the people running a business, correctly interpreting which position has more public support, and going with that.

The head of Chick-fil-a saw that their current situation was limiting the ability to open up new locations, and was potentially alienating a large enough part of the population that they made the decision to change things up. I suspect it was the right decision.

Much like, when some far-right evangelicals were doing the the boycott of JC Penney due to their partnership with Ellen, the CEO saw that it was just 2% of the population whining, and that they stood to make a lot more money by being not only inclusive, but doing so with a big TV personality that has a lot of fans, so they made the correct decision to stay the course with what they were doing and just ignore the boycotters and they gave up their cause pretty quickly
Ellen DeGeneres' JC Penney Partnership Boycott Dropped By One Million Moms | HuffPost

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And in this “flip flop”they have brought the wrath of Mike Huckabee down on them. Even though it isn’t a flip flop at all. They are just changing who is receiving their donations. Instead of donating to Salvation Army and the FCA like they have in the past they are focusing on groups that support education and fight homelessness and hunger. I can’t imagine anyone being upset by that but there are Christians who are. Why?

I think the answer is pretty obvious...it seems that it's not considered to be a "real Christian Conservative position" simply to do good things and help some folks, unless it's also coupled with a vociferous support for something that will "own the libs" or express outrage about something they don't like.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The one near me is not going to have any problems. The lines may get shorter but there will always be a line. Rather like In-n-Out burger.

Line around the block at the one by where I work as well...

Eventually, the angry-right is going to run out of places to eat if they keep having this expectation that quick service restaurants need to also be a vessel for their religious expression.

They're made a chick-fil-a for this
They were mad a BK for having the impossible burger (because it was catering to "liberal veganism and climate change activists")

It's almost like fast food chains want to appeal to the largest segments of the population rather than virtue signaling to appeal to the remaining 32% of people who oppose SSM.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Chick-fil-A has donated over $5 million, via WinShape, to groups that oppose same-sex marriage. Of this, more than $3 million was donated primarily to Christian organizations whose agendas included positions that oppose same-sex marriage,[63] with the money donated between 2003 and 2009.[64] A total of $1.9 million was donated in 2010 to groups such as the Marriage & Family Foundation, Exodus International, and the Family Research Council (FRC).

Of those, the Marriage & Family Foundation was created by a member of the Cathy family and its address was the same as the Chick-fil-A corporate address.

That long ride is a fundraiser for an organization that helps lobby against marriage equality. Registration forms for the event ask that checks be sent, not to the WinShape Foundation that Chick-fil-A operates, but directly to the Marriage and Family Foundation at 5200 Buffington Road in Atlanta, Ga. [an address now shared by Chick-fil-A’s headquarters].

Uh huh...they're Christians.

I couldn't find any webpage for the Marriage and Family Foundation (which is odd) but looking into the Family Research Council...it's clear they endorse some very biblical views. They're opposed to the LGBT community, cohabitation, anything other than abstinence before marriage, human trafficking, etc.

In other words, they push their morality onto other people. I get that it's an uncomfortable thing...I don't like it when people presume to tell me what to think, do, say, etc....then judge me or try to shame me for what I think, do, say, etc. You have to have a pretty big ego for that.

I know you're probably thinking it's not just judging....that there's real consequences like getting and keeping a job, or the loss of rights like marriage and freedom of speech. I would agree.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

I didn't say they couldn't. But I don't see why you think it's controversial to call them homophobic to use their religious freedoms to discriminate in this way. When Falwell's liberty schools were created as segregated schools to evade integration in the public schools, surely they were racist, whether or not they were Christian organizations?

How old is this example? Were the LGBT groups that opposed the "Straight Pride Parade" heterophobic?

You see the problem here? I get that you think one cause has less validity than the other....but either we can advocate for what we want (beyond equality under the law) or we can't.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Uh huh...they're Christians.

No, Christian does not automatically mean anti-gay rights.

either we can advocate for what we want (beyond equality under the law) or we can't.

I have never proposed preventing people from advocating what they want. But we can call a spade a spade.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The point remains that it's absurd to argue that whatever some group (assuming that all the members of it are identical to each other, which of course is not true) wants, society has an obligation to give it to them.
Things some groups want, such as the ability to worship without being thrown in jail? That sort of thing?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
On the contrary, this comment is definitely about opposing same-sex marriage, which is not the same as being "anti-gay."

I doubt posts would make this distinction if we were discussing, say, outlawing the Protestant Bible. I doubt anyone would take seriously an argument that such an attempt wasn't anti-Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I think this is a lot of hoopla over nothing. Chick file a founder hasn't changed his position. He hasn't come out and said he now supports gay marriage. I couldn't find where he said specifically that the withdrawal is all about gay stuff.

This is just silly. The Christians in this case that are so upset are going to far in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think this is a lot of hoopla over nothing. Chick file a founder hasn't changed his position. He hasn't come out and said he now supports gay marriage. I couldn't find where he said specifically that the withdrawal is all about gay stuff.

This is just silly. The Christians in this case that are so upset are going to far in my opinion.
I think Jesus would still eat at Chik fil A, its heavenly.

• Haha
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, Christian does not automatically mean anti-gay rights.

I didn't say that...

I have never proposed preventing people from advocating what they want. But we can call a spade a spade.

Anti-heretosexual....or "heterophobic" then. Why else would anyone oppose a straight pride parade?

Edit- Also, it's probably a bad idea to call someone a spade.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First off, my personal opinion of Chick-fil-a is that they are overrated. Secondly, (and I can say this according to scripture) is that their giving is way too politicized. Wasn't JESUS the one who said, when you give, don't let the one hand know what the other hand is doing?

And in fact, they're bordering on the danger of violating James chapter 2. I could care less who Chick-fil-a gives to. They haven't promised me anything they didn't come thru with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I have something to say about the subject at hand. It is important to get it out and will be earth shattering. It is so important that I am going to wait four months to add it to the thread.

• Haha
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have something to say about the subject at hand. It is important to get it out and will be earth shattering. It is so important that I am going to wait four months to add it to the thread.
Planning a sabbatical?

Upvote 0