Charles Stanley promotes Sabbath keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God was specific about what day the Sabbath is. Unfortunately, Charles Stanley doesn't accept what God said.

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
Exodus 20:8-11 (NKJV)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

So then -- this gets us back to my signature line

Stanley says the Sabbath commandment is still in full force -

Stanley says it is the 7th day part of the Sabbath Commandment that is abolished/edited/downsized

Mark 7:6-13 is another example where a slight edit/downsize to one of the "still valid" Ten Commandments was being attempted in Christ's day.

Stanley says no one has the right to tell you that "the 7th day is the Sabbath" -

Stanley does not say "don't let anyone tell you that week-day-1 is not Sunday the day Christ was raised from the dead"

(yet - if week-day-1 is Sunday then the 7th day is Saturday, as we all know)

Stanley says "But this is binding" speaking of the Sabbath commandment.

Stanley says "you decide about YOUR Sabbath".

What "WAS" God's Sabbath is now "yours"

====================================

But what does God say about it??

Last edited:
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Stanley says it is the 7th day part of the Sabbath Commandment that is abolished/edited/downsized

Mark 7:6-13 is another example where a slight edit/downsize to one of the "still valid" Ten Commandments was being attempted in Christ's day.

Stanley says no one has the right to tell you that "the 7th day is the Sabbath" -

The Early Jewish Christians kept the Mosaic Law and the Sabbath right up to when the Temple was destroyed in 70AD. The Gentile Christians didn't, because their faith did not come through Judiasm. After 70AD both merged to the one Church where Jewishness and Gentileness was no longer thought of. But there was no prohibition on keeping the Sabbath for those who believed it was important. It is not a hindrance to salvation or a fruitful life and ministry in Christ.

It is only when some decide that keeping the Sabbath is essential for the Christ life and that a person can drop out of fellowship with God if he or she doesn't keep it, that it becomes legalistic and grieving to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God was specific about what day the Sabbath is. Unfortunately, Charles Stanley doesn't accept what God said.

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
Exodus 20:8-11 (NKJV)

I dont observe sabbath on any day, or observe the doctrine of Charles Stanley. I just thought it would make for a good thread. Thanks for the Re.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Early Jewish Christians kept the Mosaic Law and the Sabbath right up to when the Temple was destroyed in 70AD. The Gentile Christians didn't, because their faith did not come through Judiasm.

Or something like that??

Acts 13 "the next Sabbath almost the entire town" shows up for Gospel sermon in the Synagogue.
Acts 18;5 "EVERY Sabbath" - both Jews AND Gentiles meet in the Synagogue to hear Gospel preaching.

After 70AD both merged to the one Church where Jewishness and Gentileness was no longer thought of.

70 A.D. is well before the NT writings had ended - particularly for John. There was plenty of time to "record something" in the actual Bible that is of the form "Every Sabbath we meet in the Synagogue" or "every week-day-1 we meet in house churches" (if that had ever been the case).

But there was no prohibition on keeping the Sabbath for those who believed it was important. It is not a hindrance to salvation or a fruitful life and ministry in Christ.

It is only when some decide that keeping the Sabbath is essential for the Christ life and that a person can drop out of fellowship with God if he or she doesn't keep it, that it becomes legalistic and grieving to the Holy Spirit.

In the same way "no prohibition against NOT take God's name in vain"???

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I dont observe sabbath on any day, or observe the doctrine of Charles Stanley. I just thought it would make for a good thread. Thanks for the Re.

As my signature line points out - a great number of teachers and scholars affirm that all TEN of the Ten Commandments apply to all mankind - just as Stanley is claiming about his own teaching.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here we have D.L. Moody also teaching in agreement with Stanley's position -

1 John 5 quoted above - but as I understand it some folks like to see all the text from John that can be included on-topic... so for them. Jesus affirms scripture - and the fact that His words are not His own - but rather the Father's Commandments.

================================

John 14
9 Jesus *said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.

John 12
49 For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. 50 I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”

Matt 19
17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19 Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

=============================

D.L. Moody not entirely opposed to John 14:15 --

1. agrees that the Sabbath was binding on all mankind - starting in Eden.

========================================
D.L. Moody notices that some are opposed to the Sabbath Commandment - but notice how this sermon on the TEN Commandments also fits the summary of 7 points listed here on page 1??

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS text by D. L. Moody

BY THE
DWIGHT L. MOODY
The Ten Commandments:
Exodus 20:2-17

The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place.
"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)
It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was
- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes;

------------------------------------------

This Sabbath Commandment section of Moody's Ten Commandment sermon goes quot]on with more detail. Here is a segment of that same section -- the ending concluding segment - that might help shed even more light on Moody's Intent - #229 post is on this

In that example Moody says this --

D.L. Moody notices that some are opposed to the Sabbath Commandment - but notice how this sermon on the TEN Commandments also fits the summary of 7 points listed here on page 1??

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS text by D. L. Moody

BY THE
DWIGHT L. MOODY
The Ten Commandments:
Exodus 20:2-17

The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place.
"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)
It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was
- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As my signature line points out - a great number of teachers and scholars affirm that all TEN of the Ten Commandments apply to all mankind - just as Stanley is claiming about his own teaching.

Hebrews 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

Heb 4 says 'There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" -- remains from when?

Hebrews 4 says it remains from the time of David in Psalms 95.

Fine - so how did David Keep Sabbath? was it "on Tuesday"??

What is more ... in Isaiah 66:23 we find that for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship" ... that same Sabbath that Isaiah knew about - kept for all eternity after the cross - by all mankind -- in the New Earth.

Exodus 20:10 "the seventh day IS the Sabbath of the Lord thy God" --

Stanley says "don't you let anybody tell you that the Sabbath is on the seventh day".

Pick one.

But read Mark 7:6-13 first.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heb 4 says 'There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" -- remains from when?

Hebrews 4 says it remains from the time of David in Psalms 95.

Fine - so how did David Keep Sabbath? was it "on Tuesday"??

What is more ... in Isaiah 66:23 we find that for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship" ... that same Sabbath that Isaiah knew about - kept for all eternity after the cross - by all mankind -- in the New Earth.
Come on brother, you know that that the day of rest found in hebrews 4 speaks about a mystery. It contrasts the seventh day sabbath with another rest day.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Or something like that??

Acts 13 "the next Sabbath almost the entire town" shows up for Gospel sermon in the Synagogue.
I read through Acts 13 and I couldn't see that the entire town turned up to the synagogue. What I did see was that the synagogue was attended by Jews and devout converts to Judaism.

Acts 18;5 "EVERY Sabbath" - both Jews AND Gentiles meet in the Synagogue to hear Gospel preaching.
I concur that Paul reasoned with the Jews and the Greeks in the synagogue (Acts 18:4), but in verse 5 he has gone elsewhere and there is only that he went to the synagogue there. I believe that the Greeks attending the synagogue were devout converts to Judiasm, and not pure pagans.
70 A.D. is well before the NT writings had ended - particularly for John. There was plenty of time to "record something" in the actual Bible that is of the form "Every Sabbath we meet in the Synagogue" or "every week-day-1 we meet in house churches" (if that had ever been the case).
Granted.
In the same way "no prohibition against NOT take God's name in vain"???
Christians usually have their worship day on a Sunday. That is their "sabbath" - same principle. SDAs are strict about having Saturday. Whether Saturday or Sunday, it makes no difference. The Commandment is still observed whatever day is used for the "sabbath".

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I read through Acts 13 and I couldn't see that the entire town turned up to the synagogue.

Oscarr - thank you for looking into that.

14 But going on from Perga, they arrived at Pisidian Antioch, and on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down. 15 After the reading of the Law and the Prophets the synagogue officials sent to them, saying, “Brethren, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, say it.” 16 Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:

42 As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the people kept begging that these things might be spoken to them the next Sabbath. 43 Now when the meeting of the synagogue had broken up, many of the Jews and of the God-fearing proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, were urging them to continue in the grace of God.

44 The next Sabbath nearly the whole city assembled to hear the word of the Lord. 45 But when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy and began contradicting the things spoken by Paul, and were blaspheming.

=====================================================================
1. In vs 44 you have "the NEXT SABBATH nearly the whole city assemble to hear the Gospel" -- in that gentile city of Pisidian Antioch.
2. The Jews are with them , see the size of the crowd, hear the Gospel and begin contradicting it.

So you have two choices.

A. Not Gathering in the Synagogue, yet the Next Sabbath: Choose to believe that all the gentiles and even the Jews - gather on Sabbath - but not in the Synagogue (why do they ALL wait until the next Sabbath if this is not a Synagogue service? And why are Jews gathering on Sabbath yet NOT in the Synagogue?)

B. Gathering in the Synagogue the next Sabbath: Why are gentiles (Both believers in God and the true Bible, and also the non-converted gentiles (pagans) thinking they are all welcome in the Synagogue on Sabbath? Why do they wait for the Sabbath and gather in the Synagogue?

What I did see was that the synagogue was attended by Jews and devout converts to Judaism.

Christians usually have their worship day on a Sunday. That is their "sabbath" -

Yet not one word in Acts 13 "please join us TOMORROW - the first day of the week if you want to hear more". Very specifically it is "next Sabbath".

Secondly there is not ONE reference in all of the NT to week-day-1 as either "The Lord's Day" or "the Sabbath" or "the next Sabbath".

Christians usually have their worship day on a Sunday. That is their "sabbath" -
same principle. SDAs are strict about having Saturday. Whether Saturday or Sunday, it makes no difference. The Commandment is still observed whatever day is used for the "sabbath".

That is Stanley's view and it is D.L. Moody's position as well. They all agree that all TEN of the TEN commandments are in the moral law of God written on the heart under the NEW Covenant of Jeremiah 31:31-33 but as you say each person can have "their own" Sabbath on whatever day they wish - according to that Doctrine.

God on the other hand says this
Ex 20: "10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Genesis 2:1-3
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

By contrast Stanley presents this teaching "don't let anyone tell you the seventh day is the Sabbath"

That "anyone" in this case - is God Himself.

Which brings us to Mark 7:6-13
6 He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men —the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”
9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Now of course we all agree that the Jews of Christ's day would never ever claim to be in violation of the Commandments of God - yet they held their man-made-tradition is such high esteem they could "tweek and downsize" the Word of God without giving it a second thought -- that doing such a thing was making the Word of God void.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is Matthew Henry on the Bible detail about meeting together the next Sabbath - the entire gentile city --

2. This brought a vast concourse of people to the synagogue on the sabbath day. Some came out of curiosity, the thing being new; others longing to see what the Jews would do upon the second tender of the gospel to them; and many who had heard something of the word of God came to hear more, and to hear it, not as the word of men but as the word of God, by which we must be ruled and judged. Now this justified Paul in preaching to the Gentiles, that he met with the most encouraging auditors among them. There the fields were white to the harvest, and there-fore why should he not there put in his sickle?V. The Jews were enraged at this; and not only would not receive the gospel themselves, but were filled with indignation at those that crowded after it (v. 45): When the Jews saw the multitudes, and considered what an encouragement it was to Paul to go on in his work when he saw the people thus flying like doves to their windows, and what probability there was that among these multitudes some would be, without doubt, wrought upon, and probably the greater part, to embrace Christ-this filled them with envy. 1. They grudged the interest the apostles had in the people, were vexed to see the synagogue so full when they were going to preach. This was the same spirit that worked in the Pharisees towards Christ; they were cut to the heart when they saw the whole world go after him. When the kingdom of heaven was opened they not only would not go in themselves, but were angry with those that did.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Then to abide by God's commandments, as God commands, we become bad and not good? I'm so confused.

Actually, I'm not at all confused, but God help the newbs who are trying to get this stuff straight in their minds.

For those newbs: There are rules that "must" be followed, the very reason they are called commandments. If you don't think you should kill steal or commit adultery, you are not being legalistic/bad, but quite the opposite. I don't see how anyone can possibly draw that conclusion, but plenty do, and there is a reason for that...a very simple reason.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rewatching the video, I can sense that Charles knows he is going against the truth...

It blows my mind how people take Paul out of context so brazenly.

It's absolutely poor scholarship to use a verse starting with "therefore", and skip the proceeding verses to teach a doctrine

Charles was quick to quote Colossians 2:16, but he didn't go over the first 15 verses, which will show that Paul was writing to people who kept God's Holy Days, and food commandments in Leviticus 11

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why don' you all state studying the Old Testament to find out to whom and why Torah was given. God explained it to Moses before ever giving it to Israel. Ex19:5-6

Christians re not under the ritual Laws given to Israel. I care less what men like Dr Stanley or Moody or the Baptists believed about the 10 commandments with the ritual Sabbath command. If you would only study your Bibles without your church glasses on you to would realize we are not under the ritual laws of Torah. God gave Christians a new and better covenant. There isn't any command in the new covenant stating that we must observe any day or that we must wear tassels on the four corners of our garments, etc.. Churches use false claims to get people hooked into their ranks.

You all look at the false claims of other churches, so how about looking about the claims of your own church. I did.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.