TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Any sources?

Well, off the top of my head (I'm typing on my phone now) the Epic of Gilgamesh comes to mind... his lineage was described as 2/3 god and 1/3 man... you don't need to be a genealogist to know that's literally impossible... but it's an apt metaphor for his superhuman nature.

Seriously, you're asking if the Bible invented figurative language...

In every way.

Be a little more vague...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, off the top of my head (I'm typing on my phone now) the Epic of Gilgamesh comes to mind... his lineage was described as 2/3 god and 1/3 man... you don't need to be a genealogist to know that's literally impossible... but it's an apt metaphor for his superhuman nature.

Seriously, you're asking if the Bible invented figurative language...

Who said anything about "inventing"...I am inquiring about other ancient writings that employ similar figurative language. Thanks for that one...any others?

Be a little more vague...

The difference between a strong male Wildebeest and a sickly female or calf Wildebeest, is not obvious?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I anticipated this response,which is why I bolded "of creation".

*Oh you meant the man...sure he was created. Only the Creator knows if he will see ultimate corruption.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Who said anything about "inventing"...I am inquiring about other ancient writings that employ similar figurative language. Thanks for that one...any others?

How many do you want before you understand the Bible wasn't the first?

The difference between a strong male Wildebeest and a sickly female or calf Wildebeest, is not obvious?

Wildebeests aren't known for their altruism... but considering that 99% percent of is would rather step over the homeless man on the street than give him a quarter, who is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
How many do you want before you understand the Bible wasn't the first?

How many are there? Wouldn't you agree that the Bible is the best though?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know...devolution of language...?

Correct... you don't know. "Alpha" and "omega" (A to Z, if you care to modernize) are useful if we ignore figurative language.

Furthermore, the website (and the book it was designed to sell) work on the presumption that Revelation was written in Hebrew. It was not.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How many are there? Wouldn't you agree that the Bible is the best though?

The Bible is the most famous... if it were the best, it's readers would have no difficulty recognizing the figurative language.

As we both know, many of them have considerable difficulty recognizing or even acknowledging it... although granted, that's usually more a fault of the readers than the book itself.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible is the most famous... if it were the best, it's readers would have no difficulty recognizing the figurative language.

As we both know, many of them have considerable difficulty recognizing or even acknowledging it... although granted, that's usually more a fault of the readers than the book itself.
Isn't that your job though? to elevate the Bible above and beyond any other writing on Earth?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Correct... you don't know. "Alpha" and "omega" (A to Z, if you care to modernize) are useful if we ignore figurative language.

The Alphabet is useful...where did it come from...an alphabetical primordial soup?

Furthermore, the website (and the book it was designed to sell) work on the presumption that Revelation was written in Hebrew. It was not.

Debatable. Who wrote it?

Revelation 19
"1After this I heard a sound like the roar of a great multitude in heaven, shouting: Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God! 2For His judgments are true and just. He has judged the great prostitute who corrupted the earth with her immorality. He has avenged the blood of His servants that was poured out by her hand.” 3And a second time they called out: “Hallelujah! Her smoke ascends forever and ever.” 4And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God who sits on the throne, saying: “Amen, Hallelujah!” (emphasis mine)

Can you spot the Hebrew?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Isn't that your job though? to elevate the Bible above and beyond any other writing on Earth?

No, as a Believer, it's yours. Your failure to do so doesn't put any pressure on me.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The Alphabet is useful...where did it come from...an alphabetical primordial soup?

A proto-Sinatic, Semitic form of writing developed in Egypt sometime between 1800 and 1900 BC.

Debatable. Who wrote it?

Well, assuming it was the same John who wrote the Gospel... which was in Aramaic, translated to Greek...

Revelation 19
"1After this I heard a sound like the roar of a great multitude in heaven, shouting: Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God! 2For His judgments are true and just. He has judged the great prostitute who corrupted the earth with her immorality. He has avenged the blood of His servants that was poured out by her hand.” 3And a second time they called out: “Hallelujah! Her smoke ascends forever and ever.” 4And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God who sits on the throne, saying: “Amen, Hallelujah!” (emphasis mine)

Can you spot the Hebrew?

Oy vay! Your idea has a certain Je ne sais quoi, but it lacks a certain machismo that would make any attempt to take it seriously totally meshuggeneh.

Can you count the number of languages I obviously speak?

Upvote 0