Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Better at manipulating the environment...on a global scale?
The first CO2 breathers changed the environment to the point of creating banded formations in metal ores.

It made for a cyclically destructive environment... but it also created a niche for O2 breathers to develop. :) Without O2 there'd be no animals, and thus no humans.

(EDIT, just to clarify, this was a completely mindless action, not a deliberate attempt to change the environment).

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The first CO2 breathers changed the environment to the point of creating banded formations in metal ores.

It made for a cyclically destructive environment... but it also created a niche for O2 breathers to develop. :) Without O2 there'd be no animals, and thus no humans.

(EDIT, just to clarify, this was a completely mindless action, not a deliberate attempt to change the environment).

So, maybe O2 gave rise to consciousness?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,429.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
So, maybe O2 gave rise to consciousness?
Very indirectly I guess.

Hundreds and hundreds of millions of years of animals that are unlikely to be much smarter then our dumber fish came first.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Getting back to Darwin factoids...I don't know if this has been noted in these 560+ posts. The man was born Feb. 12, 1809. The exact same day as Abe Lincoln. I guess you could say that one ended the enslavement of a man's body. The other ended the enslavement of a man's mind.

Upvote 0