Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi all. I recently watched a video about a person who had changed his mind regarding his stance on pre-trib rapture. The video made some interesting points about just how difficult it is to change the way we perceive important, spiritual truths, especially when that change requires us to face difficult challenges.

The video is about 12 minutes long and I'd like to hear what others think.

There are many ways to waste time and energy and last days speculation is high on the list. My opinion is worthless. Only truth is of any value. Since there are so many different interpretations, all claiming to be correct, I sit on the sidelines. We will find out eventually. I think sooner, but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Steve_K

Mar 25, 2020
US
✟15,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I would not say uncomfortable, because I am certain of my rapture view, the anytime rapture view. The rapture timing window is in the shaded area. I am just saying the thread title is misleading.
View attachment 289595

How is it 'anytime' if it's confined only to the shaded area?

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How is it 'anytime' if it's confined only to the shaded area?
Anytime between now and when it takes place. The rapture could happen pre-trib (pre-70th week). Or it may not. But it has to take place before the transgression of desolation act by the Antichrist, on a undeterminable day during the 7 years.

I borrowed from the wording in Luke 21:34-36, for the label anytime rapture view.

34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.

36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You think it's misleading to suggest that people may change their mind about how they interpret prophecy?
John, it seems to me that the video is focusing on leading people away from the pre-trib rapture view. The timing of the rapture is probably the most hotly contested subject on this forum.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi all. I recently watched a video about a person who had changed his mind regarding his stance on pre-trib rapture. The video made some interesting points about just how difficult it is to change the way we perceive important, spiritual truths, especially when that change requires us to face difficult challenges.

Weird that this video considers post trib to be pre wrath. Post trib usually means after all the wrath God pours out as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve_K
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In all fairness, the Messiah was said to only come once in the OT, but he is coming twice from a NT teaching. Could it be three times?

I dunno. What I do know is, there will be a great round up and execution of those not taking the mark.

Is the first coming just His birth?
No.
It's everything from His birth until His ascension to heaven is the first coming.
His second coming is everything from His appearance in the clouds, into eternity. It never ends. There are multiple events encompassed within that second coming, and time does go on in those events. Some people are hyperliteral about the "day of the Lord" being a single 24 hour day but..
Revelation 6:17
17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
and then the 5th trumpet lasts 5 months....

I don't interpret it to be a single 24 hour day.
In fact, neither does scripture.
Isaiah 34:8
8 For it is the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompences for the controversy of Zion.
Isaiah 63:4
4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.

So when does the Lord appear in the clouds?
Revelation 6:12-17, after the 6th seal, after the martyrs (the tribulations), but before the trumpets of God's wrath.
Revelation 14:14-20 after the mark of the beast, but before the vials of God's wrath.
2 different ways of describing the same end times events with different details.
Everything from this point on, is the second coming. Including Jesus coming down on a white horse in Revelation 19.. that's still the second coming.
Parousia, the word used in Greek, is "presence" not just an instantaneous arrival.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The OT doesn't say he will only come once. It just predicts his coming; at that time there was no issue about whether it would be once or twice or whatever. During his ministry, he talked extensively about how he'd go away and then return again.
Daniel 9 and Isaiah 53 both say that the Messiah dies.
So a second coming is inferred from that.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As far as I understand these are the rapture positions, the video is a bit off

Pretribulation
Belief in a "secret" rapture that takes place before the 70th week in its entirety. Is based off of considering all events in the 70th week to be "the tribulations" and considers the "tribulations" to all be God's wrath, so because we are not appointed to wrath (1 Thessalonians 5:9) they use that to say we won't face any tribulations whatsoever. They differ in most cited rapture passage (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) in that while the verses show the rapture to be a very noisy event, and also connect it to the return of Christ, they want to make a distinction between the rapture and the second coming. Because they associate the second coming with Revelation 19, they think Matthew 24 parallels with Revelation 19 despite them being VERY different. Has only sparse scriptural support namely 2 Thessalonians 2:7 (interpreting the restrainer to be themselves, even though 2 Thessalonians 1-3 creates a contradiction with that interpretation), and Revelation 3:10, again, interpreting themselves to be the Church of Philadelphia (to which I say, Smyrna also did nothing wrong, but Smyrna was martyred). Focus is on a doctrine of imminence, based on the various "thief in the night" verses. Tends to interpret Revelation as being written in entirely Chronological order start to finish. Distinguishes themselves as "the church age" and separates themselves from "tribulation saints" and declares that the tribulations are for Israel, not them.

Midtribulation
Belief that the rapture takes place at the midpoint of the 70th week. I'm not as familiar with their doctrines or why they believe as they do. To be honest, I've never even talked with someone who's midtrib. I just know that it's distinct from pre wrath because it's set at the exact midpoint.

Prewrath
Belief that the rapture takes place after the tribulations, which are acts by men led by the Antichrist, but before the wrath of God, which are the trumpets and vials. Generally see the second coming as an enduring presence rather than 1 single day event, and generally take an imminence position after the abomination of desolation, being the last condition that needs to be fulfilled in their eyes before the rapture can happen. Typically sees Revelation divided up into at least 2 parallel narratives occupying the same time. Paramount to this belief is the separation of tribulation and wrath of God as 2 distinct things, and reconciling that we are not appointed to wrath (1 Thessalonians 5:9), but Matthew 24 is a picture of the rapture and it happens immediately after the tribulation of those days (Matthew 24:29-31).

Posttribulation
Like pretribulationists, believe that the entire 70th week is "the tribulations" and makes no distinction between tribulations and wrath of God. Believes that instead of rapturing Christians out of earth to protect them from the wrath, that God will protect them ON the earth while the wrath is being poured out. Sees the second coming as 1 single 24 hour day, and it is of paramount importance to them that "the day of the Lord" be treated as a literal 24 hour day. Often sees Revelation as being up to 7 different parallel narratives telling the same thing multiple times in different descriptive language.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Brainwashing indoctrination. Heresy.

He claims salvation is based on an eschatology belief known as post-trib.

Sorry but salvation is by the Atonement on the Cross.

Then he claims the tribulation is our cross to save ourselves.

Sorry, that is just plain heresy.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
John, it seems to me that the video is focusing on leading people away from the pre-trib rapture view.

Can you explain any of the reasons the video gives for this?

The timing of the rapture is probably the most hotly contested subject on this forum.

Ok.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Post trib usually means after all the wrath God pours out as well.

Tribulation and wrath are two different issues. The Revelation separates them into two different categories; the Great Tribulation is described by 7 trumpets whereas the wrath is described with 7 bowls.

So, post-trib means after the tribulation. Then the wrath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Then he claims the tribulation is our cross to save ourselves.

No, the narrator says that we will need to suffer for our faith. That's just the reality; we can't wish it away with religious dogma.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Tribulation and wrath are two different issues. The Revelation separates them into two different categories; the Great Tribulation is described by 7 trumpets whereas the wrath is described with 7 bowls.

So, post-trib means after the tribulation. Then the wrath.
The trumpets are also the wrath of God. Delivered by angels, not by the hands of men.
Revelation 6:17 marks when the wrath of God begins in the first narrative.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Second Coming

SECOND COMING, the future return of Christ to the earth. A prominent doctrine of Christology, the predicted Second Advent of Christ is implied in hundreds of OT prophecies of future judgment on the world and a coming kingdom of righteousness on earth and is explicitly detailed in major NT passages. The last book of the Bible, the Revelation of Jesus Christ, refers specifically to His Second Coming itself (ch. 19), and the millennium and future state which follows (20-22).

1. General OT references. The OT presents a mingled prophecy of the first and second advents of Christ (cf. 1 Pet 1:10-12), often combining both comings in the same context (Isa 61:1-3; Luke 4:17-20). The first reference to the Second Coming is found in Deuteronomy 30:3 in the KJV rendering where it is predicted, “Then the Lord thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations whither the Lord thy God hath scattered thee.” The RSV obscures this prophecy by paraphrasing the expression “will return” by the tr. “will restore your fortunes.” The “return” results in their regathering to their ancient land and their spiritual and physical restoration. This is typical of OT prophecies of the Second Advent. The OT seldom pictures the Second Coming per se, but often dwells upon the circumstances of the Second Coming, such as the preceding regathering of Israel to the land (Jer 30:3; Amos 9:14, 15), and the results of the Second Coming—the judgment of the nations (Isa 2:4), deliverance of Israel (Jer 31:28), and a kingdom of righteousness and peace on earth (Ps 72:7).

2. Second Coming in the Psalms. The Second Coming of Christ is linked with the moral struggle between God and His creatures. Psalm 2 for instance, after picturing the world’s rejection of the sovereignty of God, declares God’s purpose, “I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill.” In the vv. which follow, the decree of God is stated concerning His purpose to place His Son over the nations, to subdue the nations “with a rod of iron, and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel” (2:9). On the basis of God’s intention to make His Son the King of the earth, the exhortation to earthly kings is “serve the Lord with fear, with trembling kiss his feet” (2:11). The conclusion is reached “Blessed are all who take refuge in him” (2:12). This psalm is typical of the OT passages relating to the Second Coming. The event itself is assumed, but the results are detailed.

Psalm 24 is another great passage dealing with Christ’s coming as “the King of glory.” The gates of Jerusalem are exhorted to open to this King when He comes. His rule on the earth is based on the promise of Psalm 24:1, “The earth is the Lord’s and the fulness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein.”

Another complete presentation of the Second Coming of Christ and its result is found in Psalm 72, presented in the form of a prayer, but describing the certain results of Christ’s return. His dominion is described as “from sea to sea” (72:8). Kings and nations are described as serving Him (72:11). Psalm 72 ends with the prayer, “May his glory fill the whole earth!” Although in the form of an inspired prayer, it clearly anticipates fulfillment.

Other psalms are similar in character such as Psalm 96 which declares, “The Lord reigns!” (vs. 10), and states “For he comes, for he comes to judge the earth” (vs. 13). The present position of Christ seated at the right hand of the Father in Psalm 110:1, 2 is considered temporary, for the day will come when “the Lord sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter” and “will execute judgment among the nations” (110:2, 6).

3. Second Coming in the Prophets. The major prophets take up the same theme of the coming of the Lord to reign. A familiar text is Isaiah 9:6, 7where it declares, “Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David, and over his kingdom” (vs. 7). The rule of the Messiah on earth is described in Isaiah 11 as one of complete righteousness and justice, of tranquility in nature, with universal knowledge of the Lord. Isaiah prays for the coming of the Lord (Isa 64:1), “O that thou wouldest rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains might quake at thy presence.” Isaiah’s great prophecy concludes in chs. 65; 66with a description of the reign of Christ on earth and the judgments which relate to it.

Jeremiah speaks of the results of the Lord’s coming when the Son of David “shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land” (Jer 23:5). The judgments and tribulation which precede the Second Coming are followed by the deliverance of Israel according to Jeremiah 30; 31, and many other prophecies in Jeremiah deal with the ultimate triumph of God during the reign of Christ. The presentation of the right to rule over the earth following His Second Coming is described in Daniel 7:13, 14, where the Son of man is given dominion over the entire earth and an everlasting kingdom.

One of the most specific references to the Second Coming in the OT is in Zechariah 14:3-5. The Lord is described as fighting in defense of Israel, and the statement is made, “On that day his feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives, which lies before Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west by a very wide valley; so that one half of the Mount shall withdraw northward, and the other half southward.” The revelation goes on to picture that “the Lordwill become king over all the earth; on that day the Lord will be one and his name one” (Zech 14:9).
We view these as Second Coming through the lense of the first coming. Those in Jesus' day, were still looking for the total package. To an OT Jew rejecting Jesus as the Messiah there is only one coming. They will still be granted eternal life. Based on the verse that at the Second Coming they will see Jesus and the piercing scars from the Cross, then God will remove their blindness and heal them. It is this view some reject as the Word of God and blindly follow a false theology.

They claim others just created this alleged error of thinking (God working directly with the Jews), and give these Christians derogatory titles. Look at those who sling spiteful accusations. Then avoid their theology. Am I being spiteful in this post? No, just pointing out the facts. Many Israelis living today who reject Christ will ask at the Second Coming about the scars. They will not be placed in the church, but they will be eternally saved. If being saved is falsely touted as enduring to the end, then one should not reject the Scripture that says Israel will be saved in a day.

People ignore the fact that The Second Coming is for Israel. Christ is on earth separating the sheep from the goats. That is Christ dealing with the Nation of Israel directly. Even some of Israel will still reject God and be rejected by God. It defies logic that some think the church hangs around after the Second Coming. The tribulation is about Jacob. If Christ is on earth doing the final harvest, how do some reconcile He snuck past the church and started dealing with the Nation of Israel without even a, "Hello"! Wake up folks. The church is the last in and the first out. The last shall be first and the first shall be last. Perhaps that verse has been removed from Bibles in the last 20 years?

The seals deal with the church. ALL those in Christ redeemed from Adam's descendants, from Abel, to the last soul accepting the Atonement. These are in Christ and the majority in Paradise. These are raptured at the 6th seal. That is the Second Coming when the Lamb comes to save the Nation of Israel, physically. The Trumpets are the rallying Cry, of Christ, fulfilling all OT prophecies for the house of Jacob.

Upvote 0

Devin Hammond

Nov 25, 2020
San Clemente
✟3,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We view these as Second Coming through the lense of the first coming. Those in Jesus' day, were still looking for the total package. To an OT Jew rejecting Jesus as the Messiah there is only one coming. They will still be granted eternal life. Based on the verse that at the Second Coming they will see Jesus and the piercing scars from the Cross, then God will remove their blindness and heal them. It is this view some reject as the Word of God and blindly follow a false theology.

They claim others just created this alleged error of thinking (God working directly with the Jews), and give these Christians derogatory titles. Look at those who sling spiteful accusations. Then avoid their theology. Am I being spiteful in this post? No, just pointing out the facts. Many Israelis living today who reject Christ will ask at the Second Coming about the scars. They will not be placed in the church, but they will be eternally saved. If being saved is falsely touted as enduring to the end, then one should not reject the Scripture that says Israel will be saved in a day.

People ignore the fact that The Second Coming is for Israel. Christ is on earth separating the sheep from the goats. That is Christ dealing with the Nation of Israel directly. Even some of Israel will still reject God and be rejected by God. It defies logic that some think the church hangs around after the Second Coming. The tribulation is about Jacob. If Christ is on earth doing the final harvest, how do some reconcile He snuck past the church and started dealing with the Nation of Israel without even a, "Hello"! Wake up folks. The church is the last in and the first out. The last shall be first and the first shall be last. Perhaps that verse has been removed from Bibles in the last 20 years?

The seals deal with the church. ALL those in Christ redeemed from Adam's descendants, from Abel, to the last soul accepting the Atonement. These are in Christ and the majority in Paradise. These are raptured at the 6th seal. That is the Second Coming when the Lamb comes to save the Nation of Israel, physically. The Trumpets are the rallying Cry, of Christ, fulfilling all OT prophecies for the house of Jacob.

Your entire post is wack. The first being last and the last first is talking about being a servant and has nothing to do with a rapture. I will leave it at that because I really don’t have time to address your mess.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can you explain any of the reasons the video gives for this?
Well first of all, at minute 1:55, the speaker does not accurately describe what the pre-trib rapture view is. The pre-trib view is a misnomer for pre-70th week, not pre-great trbiulation as the speakers says.

At minute 2:20, the speaker denounces the rationale of the pre-trib rapture. So it is easy to see where he is going. I didn't waste my time watching the rest of the video.

Upvote 0