Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Our circuit will be undergoing some changes here in the next couple of months. We have had a Pastor our on medical disability since Feb. for a mental breakdown. He serves the church he was called to and another small one that contracted with the church to serve them also. He has been at the larger church for 14 years.

It has come down to the point where he will never be able to return to the larger church as there have been issues for most of the time he has been here - on both parts. The DP has been involved all along the way. The DP is meeting with the church this evening to offer a solution which included the Pastor resigning this call. We will remain on disability for a while longer as well as fill the pulpit at the smaller church. There are other details as well.

There is another vacant church in the circuit as well. It has been proposed that the two congregations that my husband serves as well as the larger one in the situation be made into a triple parish. The other vacant one will become a dual with another one in the circuit.

I know that it will take time for all this to become official. I ask that you pray that this is accepted by all the churches involved and that any agreements and transitions occur smoothly.

Thanks

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They were presented with the idea of an intentional interim Pastor or to go ahead with creating a triple parish. Sounds like they are looking at a one year interim Pastor and during that time create the triple parish. I kind of like that idea so that in the meantime, everything will be done over time and not in a quick manner. I do know that the three congregations will work well together.

Actually, the Pastor leaving is relieved. This congregation has been rough on him and no calls during the 14 years here. The arrangement for him will give him time to heal and for his family to heal.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
They were presented with the idea of an intentional interim Pastor or to go ahead with creating a triple parish. Sounds like they are looking at a one year interim Pastor and during that time create the triple parish. I kind of like that idea so that in the meantime, everything will be done over time and not in a quick manner. I do know that the three congregations will work well together.

Actually, the Pastor leaving is relieved. This congregation has been rough on him and no calls during the 14 years here. The arrangement for him will give him time to heal and for his family to heal.

So, is your husband's call being rescinded and replaced with an intentional interim? I guess I don't understand the situation.

Prayers are being lifted for the errant congregational leadership as well. The way that some churches treat the clergy is sinful.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry, no. The call for the other Pastor is being rescinded or he is resigning his call and being replaced with either the intentional interim or to be made a triple parish which would replace my husband's dual and calling him for the triple.

Thing is, this Pastor's grave error was not communing members other than LCMS as well as coming there fresh from the Seminary.

ETA: Then he had the gall to send his children to the Lutheran School about 25 miles up the road across the state line.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, no. The call for the other Pastor is being rescinded or he is resigning his call and being replaced with either the intentional interim or to be made a triple parish which would replace my husband's dual and calling him for the triple.

Oh, I was confused. You had said that an intentional interim would be placed for the triple parish.

Will the other pastor be eligible for a call? It's a sad situation because CRM carries such a stigma with it, even though the problems lie with the congregational leadership in most cases.

Thing is, this Pastor's grave error was not communing members other than LCMS as well as coming there fresh from the Seminary.

Then why doesn't the synod discipline the congregation?? This is the biggest problem with the synod. They allow the clergy to be trashed over things that are Biblically and Confessionally sound.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry Rev, the whole thing gets confusing.

The other Pastor will remain on disability and serve the smaller of his two churches as a worker priest. After more improvement in his mental health, he will be able to receive a call.

The district has talked with the congregation who has been determined to get rid of the Pastor for a number of years. They are so determined to do this and they have succeeded in that the Pastor had a mental breakdown in February where he was treated on an in patient basis for about 6 weeks. Since then, it has been said by some in that congregation that they have finally gotten rid of him.

He has done nothing wrong in the theological realm. The congregation decided a long time ago that they did not like him and the communion issue was but one of the reasons they don't like him.

I don't know if the previous Pastor communed those outside the LCMS or not. I do agree that a one year intentional interim would be good for them. I do know that whenever my husband becomes their Pastor, he will also have the same view on communion.

This has been a tough situation for a number of years and it saddens me to see it. I thought what my husband endured at his second call was rough, but this has been really rough to see happen.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sorry Rev, the whole thing gets confusing.

The other Pastor will remain on disability and serve the smaller of his two churches as a worker priest. After more improvement in his mental health, he will be able to receive a call.

The district has talked with the congregation who has been determined to get rid of the Pastor for a number of years. They are so determined to do this and they have succeeded in that the Pastor had a mental breakdown in February where he was treated on an in patient basis for about 6 weeks. Since then, it has been said by some in that congregation that they have finally gotten rid of him.

He has done nothing wrong in the theological realm. The congregation decided a long time ago that they did not like him and the communion issue was but one of the reasons they don't like him.

I don't know if the previous Pastor communed those outside the LCMS or not. I do agree that a one year intentional interim would be good for them. I do know that whenever my husband becomes their Pastor, he will also have the same view on communion.

This has been a tough situation for a number of years and it saddens me to see it. I thought what my husband endured at his second call was rough, but this has been really rough to see happen.

I really think the synod should discipline such congregations, if not expel them from synod membership. And I don't think a 1 year interim is ling enough. Three or more is more appropriate. Expulsion would be preferable. I'm really having a problem with the way laity treat the ordained in this synod. Something had better change pretty soon.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The DP had told them a few years back when they wanted to have a vote on the communion issue that if they did that, they would no longer be a member of the LCMS. That is just putting it up to a vote much less allowing open communion. It never went to a vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The DP had told them a few years back when they wanted to have a vote on the communion issue that if they did that, they would no longer be a member of the LCMS. That is just putting it up to a vote much less allowing open communion. It never went to a vote.

So in other words, they want to have their cake and eat it too.

I pray for your husband. We've had some pastor friends whose congregations treated them similarly and unfortunately the DP at the time wasn't fond of them, so they tended to side with the congregations. It is too bad when human emotions get in the way of tending the flock as well as the shepherds. So I pray for your husband that this congregation learn the respect he deserves. (and for the record, any pastor that can serve a triple parish has my respect!)

:hug:

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I really think the synod should discipline such congregations, if not expel them from synod membership. And I don't think a 1 year interim is ling enough. Three or more is more appropriate. Expulsion would be preferable. I'm really having a problem with the way laity treat the ordained in this synod. Something had better change pretty soon.

I agree Rev, but unless the District or the Synod has the will to fulfill their obligation for discipline this garbage will continue.

This same behaviour resulted in the disbanding of my last congregation, we were part of a dual charge. The Pastor remains Pastor of the other Congregation where he has always been much appreciated. He drives school bus and delivers lumber to supplement his income and support his family as the small congregation can not afford a Pastor. He and I remain good friends.

I will pray for you, your husband, and the congregations involved.:crossrc::prayer::crossrc:

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm confused. Is your husband also the pastor who had the mental break down? In one post it sounded like he wasn't, as he was going to "become their pastor" in the future.
But in most of the posts it sounded like he is.

In either case, sounds like a difficult situation and I do hope it will be solved soon, in a God pleasing way!

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Things are still rather interesting with the situation. The church is balking at what the DP is asking them to do to do right by the Pastor. Nor do they want to do the interim Pastor which my husband and I both think they should do. There are times where I feel like this church should maybe just close their doors. Don't like thinking that way, but there are times and situations where one wonders if that wouldn't be the best thing to do.

Cerette, this is happening to another Pastor who he and his family are friends of ours and are in our circuit. My husband will end up with the eventual triple parish.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Things are still rather interesting with the situation. The church is balking at what the DP is asking them to do to do right by the Pastor. Nor do they want to do the interim Pastor which my husband and I both think they should do. There are times where I feel like this church should maybe just close their doors. Don't like thinking that way, but there are times and situations where one wonders if that wouldn't be the best thing to do.

Cerette, this is happening to another Pastor who he and his family are friends of ours and are in our circuit. My husband will end up with the eventual triple parish.

In order for there to be any hope of this working, both their Pastor and your husband need to have the unwavering support of of the CC and the DP; this unity must be conveyed to the troubled congregation in a firm but loving way. Your DP should also seek council and obtain support from the Synod as well.

In my former Parish (the one that disbanded), our Pastor and Elders got no meaningful support from our CC until another Pastor took over that office; at which time things had long gone past the point of no return. The DP did not want to deal with conflict as his term was nearing an end, and was contemplating retirement; so we got no real support there either; needless to say, Synod was unaware there was even an issue until the Congregation voted to disband.:doh:

I don't want to sound cynical, but in order to have any hope of saving that congregation as a Confessional Lutheran Congregation everyone must be prepared to take and hold fast to a very hard line; and even that may not work.

The easiest way to possibly save the congregation would be to disregard doctrinal purity and release them from Synod membership.

Our Congregation that disbanded had about 150 members; we had about 75 members that attended almost every Sunday. Of those, there were less than 20 members who transferred to another LCC parish, and there are lot's to choose from nearby. Of those, there are 10 of us who attend their new LCC parishes regularly. The rest, about 1/2 of them joined reformed protestant Congregations; one family joined an ELCIC pairis, and the rest go nowhere.

So... I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say that there were only 10 Confessional Lutherans in that Congregation of about 150.

That Congregation was dead long before the doors closed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Their Pastor has resigned his call and are moving this summer. They are not liking it that the DP with the support of the CC are going in the direction of the intentional interim. All the more reason they should have one. My husband and I both feel that this would be the best too.

I think that by having the interim, the DP and the CC can take the time to sort things out.

Just keep praying for the situation. Pray that the Pastor who is leaving can found reasonable, decent housing for his family.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Their Pastor has resigned his call and are moving this summer. They are not liking it that the DP with the support of the CC are going in the direction of the intentional interim. All the more reason they should have one. My husband and I both feel that this would be the best too.

I think that by having the interim, the DP and the CC can take the time to sort things out.

God bless them!

Just keep praying for the situation. Pray that the Pastor who is leaving can found reasonable, decent housing for his family.

I will indeed.

Upvote 0