Censoring God: Why Is Science Establishment Threatened By Intelligent Design?

MartinM

GondolierAce
Feb 9, 2003
Visit site
✟5,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Bible Defender said:
Intelligent design is not a science theory, it's a fact. If we're going to play with semantics and say that science needs to be falsifiable, then we might as well say that gravitational attraction isn't scientific because it's an observed fact.

Gravitational attraction is falsifiable. If we find an example where it doesn't occur, it's falsified. Simple as that.

Everything is part of God's design, there is no destinction between that which is and isn't designed.

Evolution doesn't contradict that.

Just because we know that life is designed

Prove it.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
But the movie was pure propaganda. In real life, the teacher, John Scopes, never spent any time in jail, never paid a fine – in fact, apparently never even taught evolution. The whole affair was instigated, not by "Christian fundamentalists," but by the ACLU, which was eager to challenge Tennessee's Butler Act that prohibited the teaching that humans descended from lower orders of animals. Although the film depicted drooling religious nuts singing about hanging Scopes' famous lawyer, Clarence Darrow, from a tree, in real life the townspeople gave Darrow a banquet, with the lawyer later writing that he had "been better treated, kindlier and more hospitably" than he could have imagined.

this much is not true.
the origin of the trial was in a group of city fathers who wanted to increase traffic into their little town and to put it on the map.

from: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r.../jarvis/jarvis89.html&ei=grfzQuuSJp_6YNa5wOIP
In 1925, Dayton’s population contained quite a number of inhabitants transplanted from other parts of the nation including George Rappleyea, manager of a local mine, who had recently relocated from New York. It was Rappleyea who convinced the city fathers to accept the ACLU’s offer and find a teacher who would claim to have taught evolution in violation of state law. Rappleyea maintained that media coverage of the trial would boost the city’s economy. So John Scopes, math teacher and football coach, agreed to play the role of a biology teacher who violated state law.
and this article blames the ACLU for everything....

there is an excellent book on the topic
Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America's Continuing Debate over Science and Religion

Upvote 0

Bible Defender

Jan 11, 2005
✟15,385.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
MartinM said:
Gravitational attraction is falsifiable. If we find an example where it doesn't occur, it's falsified. Simple as that.
Ohhhh Kay...
MartinM said:
Evolution doesn't contradict that.
Evolution requires no divine direction, that's why pretty much every atheist believes in it.
MartinM said:
Prove it.
God said that it is self-evident. If you're unable to recognize God's handiwork, perhaps you should open your spiritual eyes.

Upvote 0
T

Tenka

BD said:
Intelligent design is not a science theory, it's a fact. If we're going to play with semantics and say that science needs to be falsifiable, then we might as well say that gravitational attraction isn't scientific because it's an observed fact. Everything is part of God's design, there is no destinction between that which is and isn't designed. Just because we know that life is designed doesn;t mean that we can't study it, including microevolution.
This tells me several things:
You don't know what a scientific theory is.
You don't know how to apply the term "semantics"
You don't know what being falsifiable means.
You have nothing and no way to evidence what you believe, but expect people to buy it anyway.
You don't know that 'microevolution' isn't a scientific term.

Upvote 0

MartinM

GondolierAce
Feb 9, 2003
Visit site
✟5,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Bible Defender said:
Ohhhh Kay...
Brilliant argument.
Evolution requires no divine direction, that's why pretty much every atheist believes in it.

Gravity requires no divine direction either. No scientific theory says there has been no divine direction; they simply don't require it, which is entirely a different thing.

God said that it is self-evident. If you're unable to recognize God's handiwork, perhaps you should open your spiritual eyes.

In other words, you can't prove it.

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Bible Defender said:
If you're unable to recognize God's handiwork, perhaps you should open your spiritual eyes.
My optometrist doesn't carry spiritual contact lenses. *sigh*

So far, your argument boils down to this; "I'm right, and you're wrong. Na na na na na!" *waggles fingers and sticks out tongue*

Upvote 0

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

Agnostic by Fact, Atheist by Epiphany
May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bible Defender said:
Intelligent design is not a science theory, it's a fact.
Oh dear, you are serious aren’t you? Okay, let’s see what The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition has to say about what a fact is:

Fact (n.)

Knowledge or information based on real occurrences.
Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed.
:prayer: ID fails miserably as a scientific theory much less a verifiable fact. I have no idea what level of delusion it takes to be able to say ID is a fact with a straight face but saying it repeatedly won’t lend your assertion any more credibility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Bible Defender said:

Maybe you meant that evolution doesn't require divine direction, not that it requires no divine direction. You're much too bright to be saying silly things like "evolution = atheism."

Upvote 0

Bible Defender

Jan 11, 2005
✟15,385.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
MartinM said:
Gravity requires no divine direction either. No scientific theory says there has been no divine direction; they simply don't require it, which is entirely a different thing.

Touché!

MartinM said:
In other words, you can't prove it.

In other words, it's not my job to prove it. God says that you are without excuse.

Upvote 0
L

Logic11

Bible Defender said:
Just because we know that life is designed doesn;t mean that we can't study it, including microevolution.
Who is we? I don't know it and I am pretty sure there are a lot of people out there who don't know it. Where do you get your information from? Please be specific and pleeasee don't tell me it is in the bible.:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the larger question remains. Why should ID NOT be taught in the schools. I would EVEN go insofar as to separate out from the scientific cirriculum. But I would say, in my opinion, that a majority of Americans hold some belief in a higher power AND in a creator God. And historically speaking, it is only in modern times that we see such a diversion from the spiritual realm in favor of science and humanism.

Having said this, I personally believe Bush's little stunt here is to take the heat off of the failing Iraq war and off the subject of Plamegate/Karl Rove. I REALLY don't think the man even cares one way or the other.

Upvote 0

MartinM

GondolierAce
Feb 9, 2003
Visit site
✟5,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Bible Defender said:
In other words, it's not my job to prove it. God says that you are without excuse.

But it's not God who is telling me this. It's you. You're the one who is telling me that ID is fact, and I want to know why I should agree.

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
SackLunch said:
I think the larger question remains. Why should ID NOT be taught in the schools. I would EVEN go insofar as to separate out from the scientific cirriculum. But I would say, in my opinion, that a majority of Americans hold some belief in a higher power AND in a creator God. And historically speaking, it is only in modern times that we see such a diversion from the spiritual realm in favor of science and humanism.
Specifically, because the Constitution prohibits the teaching of religious doctrine using public funds. This is a good thing, especially for religion.

Having said this, I personally believe Bush's little stunt here is to take the heat off of the failing Iraq war and off the subject of Plamegate/Karl Rove. I REALLY don't think the man even cares one way or the other.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Upvote 0

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One issue I do have with ID though believe it or not is this. Who will determine the curriculum? There are many competing views out there. Will it be a religious group? Will it be a Christian group? A Muslim group? Which version of ID will be taught? And, CAN IT BE taught "neutrally" as in no outright religious influence?

Of course, as a Christian, I would want it to be based on the Bible. But obviously in our multicultural society I realize that it won't happen. I just wonder how they'd do it.

Upvote 0