Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
...And our doctrines lead to stronger marriages and stronger families, which have over the years been a great blessing to our members.

Apparently those doctrines did not make Josh and Susan Powell's marriage and family stronger. He was a returned missionary and married Susan in the Portland Oregon temple.

I'm not saying that there are no happy Mormon families. But you seem to think the doctrines make them happy. I doubt that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not saying that there no happy Mormon families. But you seem to think the doctrines make them happy. I doubt that.

This is an interesting idea, and one that I think I have heard from Mormons here and in real life before: our doctrines make people happy, so they must be from God. Very strange. I don't recall reading anywhere in the scriptures or the fathers that you can tell the truth of anything based on how it makes you feel. In fact, from what I can think of off hand, the scriptures seem to suggest otherwise, as in the famous warning in Jeremiah 17 that the heart is deceitful.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,223,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
The topic of this thread is LDS celestial marriage.
Please submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mainline = any denomination that's not Restorationalist.

Maybe in 'Mormonese', but in English, Mainline already has a specific meaning with regard to Christian churches, and it's not "any church that's not Restorationist". Using Mormon terminology in place of common Christian terminology confuses people.

Mainline Protestant - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This is an interesting idea, and one that I think I have heard from Mormons here and in real life before: our doctrines make people happy, so they must be from God. Very strange. I don't recall reading anywhere in the scriptures or the fathers that you can tell the truth of anything based on how it makes you feel. In fact, from what I can think of off hand, the scriptures seem to suggest otherwise, as in the famous warning in Jeremiah 17 that the heart is deceitful.

Didn't make my stepdaughter and her husband happy. After becoming Mormon he became amean alcoholic--cheated on her and they finally divorced.

• Prayers
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Apparently those doctrines did not make Josh and Susan Powell's marriage and family stronger. He was a returned missionary and married Susan in the Portland Oregon temple.

I'm not saying that there are no happy Mormon families. But you seem to think the doctrines make them happy. I doubt that.
This is a perfect example of cherry picking a horrible event and then telling me that what I say is 100% false. You know I could do the exact same thing with your beliefs.

But I am glad that you acknowledge that there could be some happy Mormon families. Thank you, but your doubt about the doctrine is misplaced. Especially because of our eternal marriage doctrine, people join the church because they know that they love their families so much and no church on earth except the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a doctrine of eternal families, and so when they hear it, it is like coming home.

Now for you, it did not happen that way, but for millions of other people it did happen just that way, and because it is such a true doctrine it attracts people all over the world and has been a great blessing to their families and their communities and to the world.

Jesus knows what he is doing in these latter days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Didn't make my stepdaughter and her husband happy. After becoming Mormon he became amean alcoholic--cheated on her and they finally divorced.
Yes, some people are not ready to eat the meat of the gospel. They even struggle with the milk. The Church of Jesus Christ asked people to step up their game and put their lives in order to witness for Jesus Christ. Some people do it and some people reject it, and when they reject it, they find themselves on a slipper slope downward into the hands of satan. Sad story.

Sorry for their troubles. What is your stepdaughter doing now, may I ask?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Especially because of our eternal marriage doctrine, people join the church because they know that they love their families so much and no church on earth except the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a doctrine of eternal families, and so when they hear it, it is like coming home.

That's a really odd reason to join a religion. "I love my family so much, I'm going to be Mormon over it." .

Now for you, it did not happen that way, but for millions of other people it did happen just that way, and because it is such a true doctrine it attracts people all over the world and has been a great blessing to their families and their communities and to the world.

Things aren't true because they make people happy. I'm sure millions of people feel happy about being Mormons, Pagans, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Atheists, etc., yet all of these cannot be simultaneously true (and they aren't).

Things are true because they are based on truth, and as per Christianity Jesus is the ultimate Truth, and so Christianity (and not any of these other things) is true

That's really funny coming from a Mormon, since your entire religion is based on the false and blasphemous idea that Jesus didn't know what He was doing when He established the Church in the first century and apparently left it to a bunch of numskulls who couldn't preserve it.

• Haha
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is a perfect example of cherry picking a horrible event and then telling me that what I say is 100% false. You know I could do the exact same thing with your beliefs.

I didn't boast that what I believe about marriage makes everyone happier than others. You said: "...And our doctrines lead to stronger marriages and stronger families, which have over the years been a great blessing to our members."

I don't love my family more than God and my God didn't teach that.

But I am glad that you acknowledge that there could be some happy Mormon families. Thank you, but your doubt about the doctrine is misplaced. Especially because of our eternal marriage doctrine, people join the church because they know that they love their families so much and no church on earth except the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a doctrine of eternal families, and so when they hear it, it is like coming home.

Millions of people are distracted by many doctrines and ideas. I treasure the word of God. I believe the teachings of the Savior, and even more His unsurpassed love for me! The whole duty of humans isn't to make eternal families. Christians have been adopted into the eternal family of God.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

Matthew 10
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

John 3
25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying. 26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him. 27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. 28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

Christian All about Jesus.jpg

We are complete in Him.

I read my Bible for true words and advice.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I didn't boast that what I believe about marriage makes everyone happier than others. You said: "...And our doctrines lead to stronger marriages and stronger families, which have over the years been a great blessing to our members."

I don't love my family more than God and my God didn't teach that.

Millions of people are distracted by many doctrines and ideas. I treasure the word of God. I believe the teachings of the Savior, and even more His unsurpassed love for me! The whole duty of humans isn't to make eternal families. Christians have been adopted into the eternal family of God.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

Matthew 10
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

John 3
25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying. 26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him. 27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. 28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

We are complete in Him.

I have never said that celestial marriage or family is more important than Jesus. He is the centerpiece of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We must keep our focus on him. Always.

One way to keep a focus on him and his commandments is to be taught by the scriptures what those commandments are, and then to watch your father and mother and family live these commandments and teach you how to live too. Example is the finest way to teach the way to Jesus. You can read all you want, but until you actually put into practice what you are reading, you really have nothing.

So in the Church of Jesus Christ, we learn of Jesus and we try to act like Jesus. One of the reasons our families are stronger is that we teach each other and watch how we interact with our neighbors and friends and other family members and hopefully we turn out OK.

So yes, believe in Jesus and then commit to be like Jesus, and the highest commitment you can make is in the temple with your eternal partner.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That's a really odd reason to join a religion. "I love my family so much, I'm going to be Mormon over it." .

I may have thought so too, if I had not gone on a mission for the church. But I found a lot of people that had a family of 3 or 4 children, that were afraid of the day that one of them would die, and their happy life would be over.

Then I tell them about eternal marriage and families can be together for ever, and it was like hearing angelic music to their ears. They could not get through the lessons fast enough to get baptized into the church and get to the temple. That is happening every day all around the world.

Things aren't true because they make people happy. I'm sure millions of people feel happy about being Mormons, Pagans, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Atheists, etc., yet all of these cannot be simultaneously true (and they aren't).

That is correct. Just because you are happy, or happy with your religion does not make it true. The Church of Jesus Christ is the only church that teaches eternal marriage. Not pagans, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, atheists or Christians.

That's really funny coming from a Mormon, since your entire religion is based on the false and blasphemous idea that Jesus didn't know what He was doing when He established the Church in the first century and apparently left it to a bunch of numskulls who couldn't preserve it.

I said nothing of Jesus in the first century. He knew what he was doing then as he does now.
He knew then that the people of his church would reject the meat of the gospel.
(1 Corinthians 3:2)
He knew then that his flock would not be spared by evil and designing men(wolves).
Acts 20:28-30 King James Version (KJV)
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Paul is talking to the overseers of the church, that had to be a meeting with bishops and elders.

He knew that there would be a restitution (restoration) of all things later, so that the gates of hell would not prevail over his plan.
Acts 3:20-22 King James Version (KJV)
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

You see, heaven must receive Jesus until the restitution of all things.
Can you tell me what date since Jesus's time that the restitution of all things happened?

Have you even heard of such an event.

The reformation did not restore all things. That's not what Luther was all about.

So where in history does an even happen that focuses on the restitution of all things from the mouth of all Jesus's holy prophets since the world began?

I will tell you, it is the focus of Jesus through the prophet JS to bring to pass the restitution of all things. The only time you hear of such a doctrine and see it played out in a full blown effort to do just that.

So the truth is what Jesus Christ tells us is the truth. All the words of Jesus is the truth, not just a few words contained in the Bible, but in all his words. And you tell me, is there a movement in the Christian church to cover up the words of Christ in the 4 gospels, for the reason that they are spoken as he lived under the Law of Moses and are therefore part of the Law of Moses and were done away?

And is there a movement to elevate the words of Paul, because he was the minister of the gospel of grace of which is the New Testament gospel that we live today?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I may have thought so too, if I had not gone on a mission for the church. But I found a lot of people that had a family of 3 or 4 children, that were afraid of the day that one of them would die, and their happy life would be over.

Then I tell them about eternal marriage and families can be together for ever, and it was like hearing angelic music to their ears. They could not get through the lessons fast enough to get baptized into the church and get to the temple. That is happening every day all around the world.

That's stupid, and there are stupid people all over the world, so what is this supposed to prove? You took advantage of the gullible and preyed on their fears of inevitable family separation. Congratulations, I guess? I mean, I think that is sick and deplorable, but you seem to think there's something noble in it. I can't for the life of me see what.

You seem to agree with me (below) that things that make people happy are not therefore inherently true, so maybe you should start writing your defenses of your religion accordingly, instead of contradicting yourself as you've done here.

That is correct. Just because you are happy, or happy with your religion does not make it true. The Church of Jesus Christ is the only church that teaches eternal marriage. Not pagans, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, atheists or Christians.

Okay. Your first sentence is true, but has nothing to do with your second sentence...except maybe if the point is that the LDS teaching of "eternal families" is one of those things that may make people happy but is not therefore true, which is the point that I made, but I wouldn't expect you to agree with it...

I said nothing of Jesus in the first century. He knew what he was doing then as he does now.

If you really believe that, then you need to leave Mormonism immediately and bring as many people out with you as you can.

He knew then that the people of his church would reject the meat of the gospel.
(1 Corinthians 3:2)
He knew then that his flock would not be spared by evil and designing men(wolves).
Acts 20:28-30 King James Version (KJV)
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Yeah, and that happened, and continues to happen. False prophets do arise from within the Church, and/or Christian societies more generally. One notable example of it happening is when a young man named Joseph Smith founded the Mormon religion that you are now a member of.

Paul is talking to the overseers of the church, that had to be a meeting with bishops and elders.

Okay.

He knew that there would be a restitution (restoration) of all things later, so that the gates of hell would not prevail over his plan.
Acts 3:20-22 King James Version (KJV)
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Your interpretation of this makes no sense, because even a bare reading of the text must conclude that it is talking about the sending of Jesus Christ...so how is it also Christ talking about the 'restoration' of the Church at some time that is simultaneously before Christ's being sent ("he shall send") and well after it (in JS' time/1830)?

You see, heaven must receive Jesus until the restitution of all things.
Can you tell me what date since Jesus's time that the restitution of all things happened?

What on earth are you talking about? That's not what this passage is saying. "Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things" refers to His ascending into heaven and His eventual return to the earth at the final judgment, which has yet to happen.

The wider context of the verse is to show Jesus Christ prophesied in the Old Testament prophets, not to predict the destruction and then 'reconstitution' of the Church.

Here are some early Christian writers and Fathers that testify to this understanding:

[...] speaking of (Him as) God It is to these same times that Peter in the Acts refers, when he says: "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; and He shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of His holy prophets." (Tertullian, On the Resurrection of the Flesh, one of his "post-Montanist" writings, i.e., after 207 AD)

And that [the Son of God] was to be made man [Moses shows when] he says, "A prophet shall the Lord raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me." (Pseudo-Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Antiochians, 4th century)

Still further He said, `I am he concerning whom Moses prophesied, saying, A Prophet shall the Lord our God raise unto you of your brethren, like unto me: Him hear in all things; and whosoever will not hear that Prophet shall die.' (The Third Clementine Homily, Pseudo-Clementine, c. 3rd century)

Now, after the death of Moses and Joshua, and after the judges, arose David, who was deemed worthy of bearing the name of father of the Saviour himself; and he first gave to the Hebrews a new style of psalmody, by which he abrogates the ordinances established by Moses with respect to sacrifices, and introduces the new hymn and a new style of jubilant praise in the worship of God; and throughout his whole ministry he teaches very many other things that went beyond the law of Moses. (From the Exegetical Fragments of St. Hippolytus of Rome, early 3rd century)

Nothing in the Fathers or other early writers anywhere about any 'reconstitution' of the Church after an 'apostasy'.

Have you even heard of such an event.

The resurrection of Christ that assures our own resurrection at His second coming? Yeahhhh...I might have heard about it once or twice in Church! ;)

Also it's written about extensively in this thing called the Bible that the evil, apostate Church wrote, canonized, and interprets.

The reformation did not restore all things. That's not what Luther was all about.

That's not what the passage you've selected is all about, either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So where in history does an even happen that focuses on the restitution of all things from the mouth of all Jesus's holy prophets since the world began?

Later? I don't know, and neither do you, and neither do any of your Mormon leaders. And they and we never will know, as Jesus tells us that we are not to know. (Matthew 24:36)

I will tell you, it is the focus of Jesus through the prophet JS to bring to pass the restitution of all things. The only time you hear of such a doctrine and see it played out in a full blown effort to do just that.

No. That's quite simply a lie, or at best a Satanic delusion. I won't share in it. You can believe falsehood from old men in suits in Utah all you want, but simply saying that such and such is the case won't pass muster with me. You know how I reference early Christian writers and Fathers whenever I can, so as to not argue from myself concerning what the early Church actually believed and taught? You should try it sometime, because all you seem to do is make declarative statements with no backing whatsoever and expect them to be taken as true because your religion says they are. Well, I am not Mormon, Peter. Please try more or keep silent. I know it will be hard to believe, but I really don't like having to simply declare things Mormon baloney, because there's no real discussion involved in that. "No it isn't" isn't a point unto itself, and yet since you give me no more to go on in your own replies...well...no it isn't. This is nothing but your Mormon propaganda taking over any critical thinking skills you have. I'm not going to join you in that.

So the truth is what Jesus Christ tells us is the truth. All the words of Jesus is the truth, not just a few words contained in the Bible, but in all his words.

Exactly!
Yes! So when Christ tells us that He is with us until the end of the age (i.e., until His return), and that He will establish His Church on the confession of St. Peter (or on St. Peter himself, if you're a Roman Catholic and have your own reading of the passage) and that the gates of Hell will not triumph over it, He is telling the truth.

And Joseph Smith is not.

And you tell me, is there a movement in the Christian church to cover up the words of Christ in the 4 gospels, for the reason that they are spoken as he lived under the Law of Moses and are therefore part of the Law of Moses and were done away?

Seeing as how we wrote those gospels, I wouldn't think so. And such an accusation is cheap and, as always, unfalsifiable (i.e., you can just trot out your own standard of "covering up" so as to support your accusation; another commonality that LDS have with Islam, but anyway...), so as the kids would say in my day, put up or shut up. Enough word salad.

And is there a movement to elevate the words of Paul, because he was the minister of the gospel of grace of which is the New Testament gospel that we live today?

I don't even know what that means, "elevate the words of Paul"? Is it not enough that his epistles are read in all the churches, and were from a very early date? And really, is it not enough that he was accepted by the other apostles, and preached in Arabia, and so on? What is wrong with St. Paul now? Again, the LDS argue like Muslims, who similarly haven't a clue what they are talking about.

Where's your evidence of any of this beyond "well my religion says so"? Who the heck cares what the Mormon religion says about anything? If you're claiming Christianity, then your Fathers are Christians, not some charlatan from NY who claimed to find golden plates written in a language that nobody's ever heard of.

I'm beyond tired of baseless accusation after baseless accusation with nothing more than "Mormonism says" to back them up. Are we having a real conversation based in history as recorded in actual historical documents, or are we forced to play-act ancient Church history in Mormon Fantasy Land because you're afraid that actual history doesn't back your narrative? (Because it doesn't.)

Please think for a little bit before you respond, if you choose to do so. I've put you on my ignore list before when I last tired of your nonsense, and I can do it again. And I like you as a person, Peter, so I don't really want to do that. :( But seriously, man...bring some actual evidence into the conversation, if you can, and if you can't, then be quiet and start studying the actual history of Christianity, not the Mormon fabrication. Then, when we can agree on what is reality (i.e., what the early Church documented of its own beliefs and teachings) and what is an unfalsifiable faith-based claim (i.e., the Mormon narrative), we can talk about this like adults. But not before then.

I cannot talk to you anymore if all you do is regurgitate unfalsifiable Mormon narratives, or already falsified talking points that you refuse to let go of out of your allegiance to the Mormon narrative.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes, some people are not ready to eat the meat of the gospel. They even struggle with the milk. The Church of Jesus Christ asked people to step up their game and put their lives in order to witness for Jesus Christ. Some people do it and some people reject it, and when they reject it, they find themselves on a slipper slope downward into the hands of satan. Sad story.

Sorry for their troubles. What is your stepdaughter doing now, may I ask?

That's the problem, you don't offer meat--I keep telling you offer veggie meat. He wasn't drinking until after he be came Mormon. He was fine until he became Mormon!
Don't know what my stepdaughter is doing now--she has not stopped by nor called nor answered her phone.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have never said that celestial marriage or family is more important than Jesus. He is the centerpiece of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We must keep our focus on him. Always.

The OP:
“This is the crowning ordinance of the Gospel and crowning ordinance of the temple.”

Your Jesus couldn't save anyone. All blessings have to be earned.

We don't have the same Jesus! Your Jesus gave his life to give you an opportunity. Mine paid for my sins and promised me eternal life because I have faith in His blood.

One way to keep a focus on him and his commandments is to be taught by the scriptures what those commandments are, and then to watch your father and mother and family live these commandments and teach you how to live too. Example is the finest way to teach the way to Jesus. You can read all you want, but until you actually put into practice what you are reading, you really have nothing.

Wrong teaching! My father didn't believe that God exists. My mother didn't believe or read the Bible. She believed in a god, but Jesus was only a teacher she didn't need. God chose me out of her six children and gave me faith. My parents never taught me anything about God or prayer. God chose me anyway and taught me His will.

So in the Church of Jesus Christ, we learn of Jesus and we try to act like Jesus. One of the reasons our families are stronger is that we teach each other and watch how we interact with our neighbors and friends and other family members and hopefully we turn out OK.

Philippians 2
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

We can KNOW that we have eternal life. LDS try to act like their married Jesus and hope they turn out okay.

So yes, believe in Jesus and then commit to be like Jesus, and the highest commitment you can make is in the temple with your eternal partner.

WRONG WAY:
LDS Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual Enrichment G, p. 395.gif

BTW, there was only ONE temple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That's stupid, and there are stupid people all over the world, so what is this supposed to prove? You took advantage of the gullible and preyed on their fears of inevitable family separation

You can say stupid all you want, but many men and women who love each other want to be together with their families for eternity, and there is only 1 church that gives them any hope of such an arrangement.

They are neither gullible nor preyed upon. These are God fearing, Jesus loving people with as much intelligence as you have.

Yeah, and that happened, and continues to happen. False prophets do arise from within the Church, and/or Christian societies more generally. One notable example of it happening is when a young man named Joseph Smith founded the Mormon religion that you are now a member of.

There is another notable example way earlier on in the history of Christianity, about the Patriarch of Alexandria who did not believe the doctrine of the Patriarch of Rome or the Patriarch of Constantinople, and decided to take his ball and go home. After many years of trying to reconcile with the Mother Church, the Patriarch of Alexandria and the Patriarch of Antioch were excommunicated from the Church in 451, never, even until today to be reconciled.

This schism involved millions of people, who were torn away from the true church and taken into a new church without the blessings of Rome and Constantinople, which were preeminent 1 & 2. IOW they were the Mother (true) church and your leader took them out of the true church to a church that he and his bishops devised.

If this is what you think of JS, who didn't believe the Mother church, you better look a little closer to home and Dioscorus, who didn't believe the Mother Church, because Dioscorus has affected billions of people by now. Big difference, but the same reason to split.

Your interpretation of this makes no sense, because even a bare reading of the text must conclude that it is talking about the sending of Jesus Christ...so how is it also Christ talking about the 'restoration' of the Church at some time that is simultaneously before Christ's being sent ("he shall send") and well after it (in JS' time/1830)?

It makes as much sense of you calling the restitution of all things, the second coming of Christ. If Paul meant the second coming of Christ he would have said, whom the heaven must receive until the second coming of Christ. OR whom the heavens must receive until the millennium of Christ. Either way why code it by calling it a restitution? He wouldn't because he knew it was not the second coming, but a restoring of all thing from the Chruch of Jesus Christ of the Adamic dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of the Abrahamic dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of the Israel, the Church of Jesus Christ of Davidic dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of Daniel dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of the First Century and finally to restore all things through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, to help the world prepare for the second coming of Christ and the millennium of Christ.

Besides the sage words of you fathers amount to nothing but saying the scripture, they do not give us an interpretation of what the restitution of all things is, they just state that there will be one as the scripture says. As for Moses saying there will be a prophet like me, that refers to the Christ of the first century, that he would come, which he did.

Christ will indeed come a second time to rule and reign for 1,000 years, but before that happens there had to be a restitution/restoration of all things. JS, through the instructions of Jesus Christ accomplished that restitution and that restitution is still happening even today as the prophets of Jesus Christ continue to receive instruction from him.

What on earth are you talking about? That's not what this passage is saying. "Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things" refers to His ascending into heaven and His eventual return to the earth at the final judgment, which has yet to happen.

I can understand your lack of knowledge about this subject, you have never heard it this way, but I ask you again, when was there an event that took place, where there was a restitution of all things? None, so your default around it must be that it will not happen until Jesus comes a second time. But I will tell you it has already happened and things are well on their way and we look forward to the second coming of Christ.

Also it's written about extensively in this thing called the Bible that the evil, apostate Church wrote, canonized, and interprets.

I have quoted you many scriptures from the bible about the apostasy and the restitution, so yes the bible does support JS in this effort.

The thing I was referring to in Christianity is the idea of "correctly dividing the word". It is a growing doctrine mainly in the evangelical churches and I believe it is a danger to all of Christianity, because it reduces the impact of the words of Christ, being of the Law of Moses and elevates the words of Paul, being of the doctrines of grace, which they feel are superior to the words of the Law of Moses, including at least most of the words of Christ in the 4 gospels.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You can say stupid all you want, but many men and women who love each other want to be together with their families for eternity, and there is only 1 church that gives them any hope of such an arrangement.

I don't think anyone here has anything against men and women loving each other and wanting to be with their families (I sure don't). Once again, it is a matter of your conflating satisfying that desire with teaching the truth that is the problem. You agreed in your other reply that things are not true just because they may make people happy. All I'm doing is extending that, which you already believe in, to apply to your religion and its false doctrines.

They are neither gullible nor preyed upon.

I believe they are.

These are God fearing, Jesus loving people with as much intelligence as you have.

It has nothing to do with intelligence, Peter. You don't need to be particularly intelligent to know that marriage ends at death. That's why marriage vows in the West usually include "'til death do us part", and why we have concepts like widow and widower.

There is another notable example way earlier on in the history of Christianity, about the Patriarch of Alexandria who did not believe the doctrine of the Patriarch of Rome or the Patriarch of Constantinople, and decided to take his ball and go home. After many years of trying to reconcile with the Mother Church, the Patriarch of Alexandria and the Patriarch of Antioch were excommunicated from the Church in 451, never, even until today to be reconciled.

Yeaaaah...just like last time you brought this up, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and you have no clue what you're talking about.

This schism involved millions of people, who were torn away from the true church and taken into a new church without the blessings of Rome and Constantinople, which were preeminent 1 & 2.

If you suddenly care so much about the supposed "blessings of Rome and Constantinople", and this isn't just a cynical attempt to use history that you don't understand to prove a point you can't make with it (you'd understand that if you actually understood the history behind the event you're now attempting to exploit), why don't you leave Mormonism and become Catholic or Eastern Orthodox? Either of these would be better than Mormonism. They may be wrong with regard to Chalcedon and the Tome from the Oriental Orthodox perspective, but they're still Christian churches, and neither of them believe in the soul-threatening blasphemies of Mormonism.

IOW they were the Mother (true) church and your leader took them out of the true church to a church that he and his bishops devised.

Again, if they're the true Church, why aren't you in them? Why are you in an untrue 'church' like that of the Latter Day Saints?

If this is what you think of JS, who didn't believe the Mother church, you better look a little closer to home and Dioscorus, who didn't believe the Mother Church, because Dioscorus has affected billions of people by now. Big difference, but the same reason to split.

Not at all, Peter, and I don't have the energy to explain to you again why this is a very inapt (and inept) attempt at comparison or equivocation when you clearly didn't bother to listen or learn last time I explained it to you. Suffice it to say that HH Pope St. Dioscorus was not the Joseph Smith of his day (that dishonor would probably go to Montanus and his prophetesses, Priscilla and Maximilla, whose heresy -- Montanism -- existed until the 8th century, long after Chalcedon), and no one on any side of the Chalcedonian split believes that the Church was therefore 'taken from the earth' or needed to be 'restored' on account of this sad event. So it's really not a comparable situation at all, and does nothing to bolster any ahistorical claim of Mormonism or individual Mormons such as yourself.

It makes as much sense of you calling the restitution of all things, the second coming of Christ.

How do you figure?

If Paul meant the second coming of Christ he would have said, whom the heaven must receive until the second coming of Christ. OR whom the heavens must receive until the millennium of Christ.

Why would he need to put it that way, and why do you assume that the apostles were millennialists? Because your religion is?

Either way why code it by calling it a restitution? He wouldn't because he knew it was not the second coming, but a restoring of all thing from the Chruch of Jesus Christ of the Adamic dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of the Abrahamic dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of the Israel, the Church of Jesus Christ of Davidic dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of Daniel dispensation, the Church of Jesus Christ of the First Century and finally to restore all things through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, to help the world prepare for the second coming of Christ and the millennium of Christ.

Similar to the above, why do you read your own religion's dispensationalism into the New Testament itself? Dispensationalism didn't even exist until after the Protestant Reformation, being codified and systematized quite late after that with the teachings of people like John Nelson Darby.

Also, the same St. Paul who speaks in Acts of the restitution of all things called the Church itself to which He belonged "the Israel of God" (Galatians 6:16), which would be a pretty weird thing to say if he felt that there was somehow a "Church of Jesus Christ of the Israel" existing in some other time period that was not the one to which he belonged. What's the deal with that?

Besides the sage words of you fathers amount to nothing but saying the scripture, they do not give us an interpretation of what the restitution of all things is, they just state that there will be one as the scripture says. As for Moses saying there will be a prophet like me, that refers to the Christ of the first century, that he would come, which he did.

Seeing as how my point was to show how the early Church itself read the passage in question and to not go beyond that (as your religion does), I'm comfortable following their example and not yours.

I had hoped to avoid a more in-depth coverage of this issue, as it takes up a lot of space and I don't doubt you're just going to wave it off anyway since it doesn't fit your LDS-warped interpretation of the scriptures, but to really understand what "restitution" means in both the immediate context of the verses you are fixated on and soteriologically, you need to read the entire chapter from the beginning, so let's do that up through the quoted portion. Here it is, from the NKJV:

Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, "Look at us." So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk." And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them--walking, leaping, and praising God. And all the people saw him walking and praising God. Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him. Now as the lame man who was healed held on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the porch which is called Solomon's, greatly amazed.

So when Peter saw it, he responded to the people: "Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently at us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let Him go. But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses. And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. Yet now, brethren, I know that you did it in ignorance, as did also your rulers. But those things which God foretold by the mouth of all His prophets, that the Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began. For Moses truly said to the fathers, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you.

+++

As you can tell from reading it from the beginning and not just quote mining, this portion comes after the healing of a lame man, and by this event the apostles connect his restoration at which the people all marveled to the restitution of all things which comes with the sending of Christ and His eventual return (it is particularly poignant in this context, as they rightly point out that people now look at them with amazement for having done what they have done, while those same people thought nothing of crucifying the One in Whose name they now perform miracles). It is obviously not about the restoration of a church, or lost things from the scriptures, or anything else LDS try to make it be about. After all, following your logic, if he had meant those things, why would he not have said "the restoration of the Church" or similar? Something tells me you'll suddenly have plenty of objections to this type of reasoning, as is right.

Christ will indeed come a second time to rule and reign for 1,000 years

Nope! Wrong! "Whose kingdom shall have NO END."

but before that happens there had to be a restitution/restoration of all things.

Mhm. He is coming again in His glory to judge the living and the dead. That's when it will happen, on the last day.

JS, through the instructions of Jesus Christ accomplished that restitution and that restitution is still happening even today as the prophets of Jesus Christ continue to receive instruction from him.

I know you really believe in this stuff, so I'm going to try to not be too harsh about it, but this is very obviously not what that passage is about, and very obviously not what the entire Bible and all of salvation history is about. Joseph Smith didn't restore anything because nothing was lost/needing to be restored in the first place, just like there are no prophets needed today because the Holy Spirit has come, and it is the Holy Spirit (not any prophet) Who is promised by Jesus Christ our Lord and God to lead us into all truth (John 16:13). Since the Holy Spirit descended upon the gathered believers at Pentecost in 33 AD, as recorded in the Bible itself, we can count that as accomplished. :)

I can understand your lack of knowledge about this subject, you have never heard it this way

I prefer to think of it as not being dictated to in Biblical interpretation by a non-Christian attempting to propagate his non-Christian religion on a Christian forum, but hey...tomato/tomahto. :p

but I ask you again, when was there an event that took place, where there was a restitution of all things? None, so your default around it must be that it will not happen until Jesus comes a second time. But I will tell you it has already happened and things are well on their way and we look forward to the second coming of Christ.

See, here's the problem with this, Peter: I keep telling you it is a foretelling of the return of Christ, which has yet to happen according to Christianity (my religion), and because you are a Mormon and believe it already signifies something else that has already occurred in your religion, you simply ignore what I've told you already and ask the question again, and presume that I have no answer for it even though I've answered it several times.

This is not only sort of disrespectful (I'm sure it's not intentionally so, but it makes it very clear that you are not paying attention to my answers, which makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to interact with you; I'm not asking you to accept my answers as true if you don't want to, but at least recognize that they've been given already, please), it also guarantees that we will talk in circles. I'm not interested in that.

I have quoted you many scriptures from the bible about the apostasy and the restitution, so yes the bible does support JS in this effort.

No, Peter. You have quoted me several scriptural passages that in the Mormon reading of the scriptures supposedly support the Mormon doctrine of 'the great apostasy', but since the early Church itself never interpreted them that way, and they don't actually say anything of the sort (some apostasizing ≠ 'the Great Apostasy', or else Mormonism and all forms of restorationism in themselves would be proof of it), I must continue to disagree. The Bible does not support JS in anything. Mormon mangling of scripture to try to make it fit with their distinctive beliefs does, but you guys didn't write the Bible, nor can you interpret it correctly. Stick to interpreting the things you did write, like the BOM, PGP, and D&C. The Bible is the work and property of the Christian Church.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0