Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 253241 View attachment 253242
Jesus has done MORE for me than any human ever has! When I go to be with God, the people who are there will be as grateful and blessed as I am. Men won't need seven or eight wives and women wouldn't like that anyway. :sick:
View attachment 253243

Mormonism was a miserable experience for me because there were all those priesthood holders between me and God, a thousand rules to follow, a communion of WATER and bread, so many false teachings, etc.:swoon:
It is interesting that you read your bible, but you do not understand the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of the First Century.

In that organization, there were those priesthood holders between the people and God, a thousand rules to follow, and they had communion of the water and the bread. If that is false teaching, you seriously need to read your bible with someone who knows the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of the First Century and point these things out to you. They are exactly the same as the restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

That is what JS was all about, he received instructions from Jesus Christ about setting up the true Church that was lost over the centuries of corruption. A biblical church that you cannot even identify with even though you have read your scriptures for years and years.

Do you not understand from the scriptures, that if you do not partake of the Lord's supper (the drinking of the water and the eating of the bread) Jesus will have nothing to do with you. The Catholics call it the sacrament of the Lords supper. The protestants just call it the Lords supper. It is a staple of Christianity to remember the life and death and resurrection of Jesus Christ through the taking of the sacrament of bread and water.

If you think this is a false teaching, you are completely out of touch with the bible.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
He said that to me---but I got it from their own writings. I only look into an anti-Mormon site when I need to find a Mormon quote--then I read the actual Mormon writings myself. But it can be difficult to find what I want to know through the Mormon site, that is why I will look at the anti-site so I can find the info!
So it was difficult to get answers from a Mormon site, so you went to an anti-Mormon site to get your answers. That explains about everything.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I read no literature critical of Mormonism while I was a Mormon EXCEPT my KJV Bible.
That is good, did you also read the Book of Mormon along with your bible reading? Did you read the D&C along with your bible reading?

In your Sunday School classes, every year we studied one of 3 areas: The bible, the BOM, and the D&C with church history. Also in your seminary classes, we did the same things.
So did you participate in Sunday School, or seminary?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That is good, did you also read the Book of Mormon along with your bible reading? Did you read the D&C along with your bible reading?

Why do you say "along with?" I read one book at a time. I don't multi task.

In your Sunday School classes, every year we studied one of 3 areas: The bible, the BOM, and the D&C with church history. Also in your seminary classes, we did the same things.
So did you participate in Sunday School, or seminary?

You weren't in my Sunday School classes, were you????

I read the Book of Mormon cover to cover before I was married. I had no seminary classes and was not even told to attend any (perhaps because they were in another city). You don't have a clue what my various wards studied or what years they were! Church history --- I don't recall such a class. The D&C was repulsive and still is! Yes, I went to Sunday School whenever I was well which was most of the time.

Now, are we done with the interrogation?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is interesting that you read your bible, but you do not understand the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of the First Century.

In that organization, there were those priesthood holders between the people and God, a thousand rules to follow, and they had communion of the water and the bread.

When was the last time you paid attention to what God said about the bread and wine?

Matthew 26
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

I somehow doubt that you understand the New Testament.

If you think this is a false teaching, you are completely out of touch with the bible.

Oh, really?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
When was the last time you paid attention to what God said about the bread and wine?

Matthew 26
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

I somehow doubt that you understand the New Testament.

Oh, really?
It is true that the next time that Jesus drinks of the fruit of the vine with his apostles, would be in his kingdom.

It is also true that he showed them an ordinance that was to be done by the church to remember him. He would not personally be there each time it was performed, but the Holy Spirit is there always. He does not say how often to partake of the bread and wine, but I get a feeling from reading the scriptures that it may have been weekly on the Lord's Day, as the early members met to remember Jesus and be taught his gospel by the members.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why do you say "along with?" I read one book at a time. I don't multi task.

Thats OK, it is for this reason that the church studies the bible one year and then the BOM, and then the D&C the next year.
You weren't in my Sunday School classes, were you????

Yes I was, you just didn't notice me.

That is a unique feature of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. All around the world if you were to walk into a Sunday School class it would be teaching the same material in Michigan as it was in Hawaii, or India. So I know what your Sunday School was like. I have taught Sunday School classes since 1974. I know what is taught.

I read the Book of Mormon cover to cover before I was married. I had no seminary classes and was not even told to attend any (perhaps because they were in another city). You don't have a clue what my various wards studied or what years they were! Church history --- I don't recall such a class. The D&C was repulsive and still is! Yes, I went to Sunday School whenever I was well which was most of the time.

If no one told approached you to attend seminary, then you either had left the church by then, or you were not active at all, and maybe anti by then, otherwise your leaders would have signed you up with the others and made sure you were going to seminary.

Again, I know exactly what your ward studied, because your ward was no different than any other ward in the United States or the world for that matter. So, yes, I attended and taught Sunday School since 1956. When I went to my cousins house to live in the summer, their ward was right in line with what my ward was teaching. From the same manual and most often times the exact same lesson #.

Interesting you would find the D&C repulsive. Most non-Mormons I have talked to about the D&C have said that it was very interesting, and that JS was certainly articulate and bold in his pronouncements. You are the first that has used the word "repulsive". I would be truly interested in what section was so repulsive to you, that you could use the word "repulsive" do describe the entire book?

• Agree
Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are the first that has used the word "repulsive".

I prefer the term self-serving (e.g. D&C 129)

D&C 132
52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.

53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been faithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.

54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I prefer the term self-serving (e.g. D&C 129)

D&C 132
52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.

53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been faithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.

54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.

Yah--accept his multiple wives or I will destroy you!! And she fell for it. God has never threatened destruction for those who stand by His word and His word said that men where to have one wife. That's just the thing---when you destroy the word of God and put the words of men above it---you will end up believing lies.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thats OK, it is for this reason that the church studies the bible one year and then the BOM, and then the D&C the next year.

Yes I was, you just didn't notice me.

That is a unique feature of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. All around the world if you were to walk into a Sunday School class it would be teaching the same material in Michigan as it was in Hawaii, or India. So I know what your Sunday School was like. I have taught Sunday School classes since 1974. I know what is taught.

I've had Mormons get authoritative with me before. When I was a new member our ward did not have a Gospel Doctrine class. The class I was in was studying A Marvelous Work and a Wonder by LeGrand Richards. On page thirteen it states:
"...These are but typical examples of the gods worshiped by Christian churches during the nineteenth century. Here are the gods that Moses told Israel they would encounter as they were scattered among the nations---gods "which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell. How could a God without body, parts, or passions be expected to see, hear, eat, or smell? How could any child of God be expected to understand, much less to love and be loved by, such an incomprehensible God as the above tenets would lead him to worship?"

I guess the teacher wanted to drive the point home because he quoted Joseph Smith's statement(not found in A Marvelous Work and a Wonder):
“Many men say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God. I say that is a strange God anyhow—three in one, and one in three! It is a curious organization anyhow. All are to be crammed into one God, according to sectarianism. It would make the biggest God in all the world. He would be a wonderfully big God—he would be a giant or a monster.”
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 372; History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476)

If no one told approached you to attend seminary, then you either had left the church by then, or you were not active at all, and maybe anti by then, otherwise your leaders would have signed you up with the others and made sure you were going to seminary.

The M-Men and Gleaners were not attending Seminary classes. I don't know what high school students were doing because I was not in high school. And no one even told me that there was a Seminary class anywhere in Mormondom until I was twenty years old.

Again, I know exactly what your ward studied, because your ward was no different than any other ward in the United States or the world for that matter.

Hint: You weren't omniscient in 1956 and aren't now. Stop pretending.

So, yes, I attended and taught Sunday School since 1956. When I went to my cousins house to live in the summer, their ward was right in line with what my ward was teaching. From the same manual and most often times the exact same lesson #.

Do I care? I was a member of seven different wards and no one told me that adults should go to seminary classes at 6:00 AM five days a week.

Interesting you would find the D&C repulsive. Most non-Mormons I have talked to about the D&C have said that it was very interesting, and that JS was certainly articulate and bold in his pronouncements. You are the first that has used the word "repulsive". I would be truly interested in what section was so repulsive to you, that you could use the word "repulsive" do describe the entire book?

I'll let others read the book and form their own opinions.

If you were teaching Sunday school when I was a little girl, you must be quite old now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is true that the next time that Jesus drinks of the fruit of the vine with his apostles, would be in his kingdom.

It is also true that he showed them an ordinance that was to be done by the church to remember him. He would not personally be there each time it was performed, but the Holy Spirit is there always. He does not say how often to partake of the bread and wine, but I get a feeling from reading the scriptures that it may have been weekly on the Lord's Day, as the early members met to remember Jesus and be taught his gospel by the members.

Mormons use water.

"As a personage of spirit, the Holy Ghost can be in only one place at a time, but His influence can be everywhere at the same time."
The Holy Ghost Testifies of Truth

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

This, Peter1000, is derogatory and completely untrue.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Yah--accept his multiple wives or I will destroy you!! And she fell for it. God has never threatened destruction for those who stand by His word and His word said that men where to have one wife. That's just the thing---when you destroy the word of God and put the words of men above it---you will end up believing lies.
Have you ever read the OT and God giving many wives to men? You know for a fact that "His word said that men were to have one wife" is just simply false. So read the bible about plural marriage and then restate what God's word really says. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This, Peter1000, is derogatory and completely untrue.
It is neither derogatory or completely untrue. Like I said, I have been involved in the church for since 1956, and when I was a teenager, I was chosen to work with people who were not signing up for seminary. Some times even active kids did not want to sign up. But most of the times it was kids who had inactive parents, who didn't care if their kids went to Seminary or not. But they were not just ignored.

So I know the program, if you did not get an invite to seminary,something was very wrong in your ward, and you may have slipped through the cracks, but then teenage leaders usually are very vigil about their students, especially active kids, like you say you were. Very unusual.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormons use water.

"As a personage of spirit, the Holy Ghost can be in only one place at a time, but His influence can be everywhere at the same time."
The Holy Ghost Testifies of Truth
We were told that water would be fine to substitute for wine by Jesus Christ himself.

Wonderful scripture about the Holy Ghost. Explains a lot of things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever read the OT and God giving many wives to men? You know for a fact that "His word said that men were to have one wife" is just simply false. So read the bible about plural marriage and then restate what God's word really says. Thank you.

I was referring to the NT. However, in the OT there is not one word were God demanded for any man to
have more than one wife. He made Adam only one. What He allowed is a different matter., And He certainly never threatened any woman with destruction if she didn't agree for her husband to have more than one wife! The apostles make it clear--only one wife. There was a time God allowed marriages between very close relatives there-- were no genetic flaws back then---that later had to change. Because most of the OT patriarchs were married to closed relatives (Abraham was married to his half sister)does not mean we now are to marry a close relative! If you do--you will end up like the Hapsburgs!!

Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Gen_2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

"HIS WIFE"---NOT HIS WIVES! You can't be one flesh when you have several wives.

1Ti_3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti_3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
Tit_1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

And please spare me the baloney that this just means the deacons and leadership-- it is the lay people from which the leadership comes from and all the more reason for no leader to have more than one wife! JS was a lustful young man was the only reason for this! It alone shows he was a false prophet.
This was never of God.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We were told that water would be fine to substitute for wine by Jesus Christ himself.

Wonderful scripture about the Holy Ghost. Explains a lot of things.

There is no verse relating to this ordinance that refers to water being used---Jesus never said water---only the fruit of the vine--of which He would not drink of it until the new earth.

Mat_26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

JS made this up as no one wanted to sell them grape juice or wine. We use unfermented grape juice as no leavening was allowed during this time and it represents the pure blood of Christ, fermented wine is what the harlot in Rev is drinking.
JS HAS NO "WONDERFUL SCRIPTURE" about anything---except those that he actually took right from the KJV.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to the NT. However, in the OT there is not one word were God demanded for any man to
have more than one wife. He made Adam only one. What He allowed is a different matter., And He certainly never threatened any woman with destruction if she didn't agree for her husband to have more than one wife! The apostles make it clear--only one wife. There was a time God allowed marriages between very close relatives there-- were no genetic flaws back then---that later had to change. Because most of the OT patriarchs were married to closed relatives (Abraham was married to his half sister)does not mean we now are to marry a close relative! If you do--you will end up like the Hapsburgs!!

Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Gen_2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

"HIS WIFE"---NOT HIS WIVES! You can't be one flesh when you have several wives.

1Ti_3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti_3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
Tit_1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

And please spare me the baloney that this just means the deacons and leadership-- it is the lay people from which the leadership comes from and all the more reason for no leader to have more than one wife! JS was a lustful young man was the only reason for this! It alone shows he was a false prophet.
This was never of God.
I will agree with you that by the time of the NT, God commanded one man and one woman, not plural marriage. If you read in the BOM the Lord is angry because men were taking more than 2 wife and Jacob had to put the hammer down that the Lord was angry and to stop it.

So how do we reconcile that kind of statements with the OT plural marriage. Here is how
If the Lord allows plural marriage it can be practiced. Especially if the Lord commands that it be practiced. There were several reasons why the Lord commanded JS to restore plural marriage in the church. The first and foremost reason was to bring the number of people in the church to escalate quickly, so as to give the population a critical mass that it would be impossible for the state or a natural event to seriously crush the church into oblivion. Secondly, some women of the church lost their husband in raids from roaming packs of men set on destroying Mormons. Therefore there was not enough men to take care of all of these women and so they were married to men who already had 1 wife to be taken care of and removed to the west.
Romance was not in the top 4 reasons. JS went through hell the minute he was told to initiate plural marriage. He and the leaders of the church really did not want to do it.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There is no verse relating to this ordinance that refers to water being used---Jesus never said water---only the fruit of the vine--of which He would not drink of it until the new earth.

Mat_26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

JS made this up as no one wanted to sell them grape juice or wine. We use unfermented grape juice as no leavening was allowed during this time and it represents the pure blood of Christ, fermented wine is what the harlot in Rev is drinking.
JS HAS NO "WONDERFUL SCRIPTURE" about anything---except those that he actually took right from the KJV.
There is no verse that relates that Jesus used water for the sacrament.

So when JS and the church was confronted with the inability to obtain grape juice (I think they did get some, but it was poisoned), JS turned to the Lord and asked him what they should do, and it is then that the Lord authorized the use of water for the sacrament of the Lords supper. So since it was the Lord that did the authorizing, I am good with that.

Where is this vial attitude come from. Have you ever read anything that JS did that did not make your puke? I would like to hear just one thing JS did that did not anger you. Thank you. Do you have such an attitude towards you founding prophetess?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I will agree with you that by the time of the NT, God commanded one man and one woman, not plural marriage. If you read in the BOM the Lord is angry because men were taking more than 2 wife and Jacob had to put the hammer down that the Lord was angry and to stop it.

So how do we reconcile that kind of statements with the OT plural marriage. Here is how
If the Lord allows plural marriage it can be practiced. Especially if the Lord commands that it be practiced. There were several reasons why the Lord commanded JS to restore plural marriage in the church. The first and foremost reason was to bring the number of people in the church to escalate quickly, so as to give the population a critical mass that it would be impossible for the state or a natural event to seriously crush the church into oblivion. Secondly, some women of the church lost their husband in raids from roaming packs of men set on destroying Mormons. Therefore there was not enough men to take care of all of these women and so they were married to men who already had 1 wife to be taken care of and removed to the west.
Romance was not in the top 4 reasons. JS went through hell the minute he was told to initiate plural marriage. He and the leaders of the church really did not want to do it.

LOL! God is willing to destroy a woman if she refuses to allow another wife---in order to increase the population!! Sure. Didn't work did it? And God couldn't see that it wasn't going to do what He thought it would? With only 2 people God populated the earth--then with only 8 He repopulated the whole earth again. This time, with millions of people around, He forced women--under penalty of destruction, to accept their husbands plural wives--in opposition to the countries laws??!!!! You seriously see it this way? Sorry---IT IS OBVIOUS WHERE THIS CAME FROM--AND IT WAS NOT FROM GOD.

Upvote 0