Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You realise what she said, right? Like, it's racist and all, right?

I would never knowingly defend racism, however living in America, I do defend free speech, even if and when I disagree, which I strongly disagree with racism, but I am not so uptight that I cannot laugh at a bit of racist humor, when I understand it is not serious nor intended to be harmful. My goodness have you never watched any of the old Looney Tunes cartoons? There were bits of racism in some of them, and this may surprise, but Whoopie Goldberg had a role years ago in the release of some of those old racist Looney Tunes cartoons that is being released unedited with the racist bits fully intact. Why do you suppose that is? Shouldn't she be offended and be in favor of edited versions?

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would never knowingly defend racism, however living in America, I do defend free speech, even if and when I disagree, which I strongly disagree with racism, but I am not so uptight that I cannot laugh at a bit of racist humor, when I understand it is not serious nor intended to be harmful. My goodness have you never watched any of the old Looney Tunes cartoons? There were bits of racism in some of them, and this may surprise, but Whoopie Goldberg had a role years ago in the release of some of those old racist Looney Tunes cartoons that is being released unedited with the racist bits fully intact. Why do you suppose that is? Shouldn't she be offended and be in favor of edited versions?
That is part of the problem. There is no definition of racism these days. It's whatever people choose to be offended about. I've seen things like pumpkin spice lattes and white milk being considered racist and 'white priviledge'. It's like, what do you really want us to do about that?

As Ben Shapiro says, if I see a real incidence of injustice, I'll stand up with you and fight that. But getting offended and ruining people's careers over tweets and calling everything racist because you disagree with their politics is not racism. Comparing someone's looks to characters in a movie isn't racism. That's not an injustice that was done. It was mean and unkind and I hate that she said it. I feel deeply for the other cast members too who lost work because of this tweet.

She said it, not thinking about the connections, then apologized, removed it, and lost her job for it. What else do you want to happen? Why do we all need to agree with you? (not pointed at you Apologetic Warrior lol)

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I stated above - I didn't watch the show so CBS, ABC, NBC, STP, TCP, XYZ

It's the the same to me. Sorry
LOL Just meant that you put the wrong network in the title... I almost thanked the wrong one!

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Let's try this another way. Consider the following illustration, which shows the descent of non-homo sapiens hominids (on the left side of the tree; represented here by a chimpanzee, because that's how it happens to be in this particular drawing that I got from Google image search) and humans (on the right):

3cefc8408cb375b63ef1427672e3fe1e.jpg

Do humans and chimps have a common ancestor? Yes, the presumed "Hominin ancestor".

Does that mean that human beings (homo sapiens) evolved from apes/chimpanzees (chimpanzees being within the same hominid family as the ape)? No. As you can see above, there is no line showing such a branching connection from the chimp to the human such as would make that statement true. Human beings did not evolve from apes/chimps, but do share a common ancestor with them.
Of course, it's all moot because there's no proof of evolution. But still, while the scientific evidence might be right, the general understanding is accurately said.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean,
and has also been moved to the OBOB General Politics forum.​
Please refrain from further flaming and goading, and abide by the SOP of this forum.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Roseanne has every right to be a racist and make racist comments, as she has done for decades.

ABC has every right to limit her show to only 9 episodes for the first year, and 13 for the second (the norm is 20+) in anticipation of Roseanne embarrassing the network (whose head is a black women BTW, and is owned by Disney). Also, ABC and Disney have every right to fire Roseanne (pursuant to her contract with them) when they view that she is not right for their brand.

Perhaps, Roseanne will find a place at FOX.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wonder what race the characters from Planet of the Apes are? I also wonder at the race of the droid in Solo. Well, no, not really. My point is that a mix between an imaginary person and an Islamist would be poof! Nothing. Islam isn't a race, and neither is "Planet of the Apes".

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What race did she offend? Islam isn't a race.

The history of calling Africans and Africans "apes" has a long history in Europe, the US and Australia. And this isn't the first for Roseanne.

Roseanne Barr Has A History Of Calling Black Women Apes

At first, I thought that you must be from another culture and country. Frankly, I cam shocked that any American wouldn't understand the insult of calling an African American an "ape".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The history of calling Africans and Africans "apes" has a long history in Europe, the US and Australia. And this isn't the first for Roseanne.

At first, I thought that you must be from another culture and country. Frankly, I cam shocked that any American wouldn't understand the insult of calling an African American an "ape".
She knows full well what she said and what it means.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

If she said she was a cross between an ape and an Islamist, you'd have a point. But a character from Planet of the Apes isn't an ape, it's a character in a movie. Why do people see race in everything? Frankly, those creatures were intelligent, apparently-I never went to any of those movies. And I'm not defending Roseanne. I think what she did was tactless, as is most of Twitter. But racist? Worthy of firing? Not so much.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If she said she was a cross between an ape and an Islamist, you'd have a point. But a character from Planet of the Apes isn't an ape, it's a character in a movie. Why do people see race in everything? Frankly, those creatures were intelligent, apparently-I never went to any of those movies. And I'm not defending Roseanne. I think what she did was tactless, as is most of Twitter. But racist? Worthy of firing? Not so much.
Are you really saying it wasn't racist because the apes weren't real life apes? ^_^

Wow

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you really saying it wasn't racist because the apes weren't real life apes? ^_^

Wow
They weren't apes. They were intelligent creatures. Of course you missed that I thought her tweet was tactless...wow.

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They weren't apes. They were intelligent creatures. Of course you missed that I thought her tweet was tactless...wow.
They were apes. I guess Alex from Madagascar isn't a lion because he can speak and is smart. Nemo isn't a fish because he can speak and travel the world.

What a childish comment full of mental gymnastics. It's called Planet of the Apes because they are apes. They made the apes intelligent creatures who can speak because it's science fiction. I guess Spiderman isn't a person because he has powers that people don't have. That's literally your argument.

Rosanne chose to use Planet of the Apes as an insult because of the ape factor. You know, how racists compare the appearance of apes and black people. Has nothing to do with this intelligence nonsense you're spewing. She's admitted she was wrong and that it was racist. She told people not to defend her racist comment. And yet here you are, knowing better than Rosanne herself, and coming up with some bizarre reason for why it's ok.

Wow

• Winner
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They were apes. I guess Alex from Madagascar isn't a lion because he can speak and is smart. Nemo isn't a fish because he can speak and travel the world.

What a childish comment full of mental gymnastics. It's called Planet of the Apes because they are apes. They made the apes intelligent creatures who can speak because it's science fiction. I guess Spiderman isn't a person because he has powers that people don't have. That's literally your argument.

Rosanne chose to use Planet of the Apes as an insult because of the ape factor. You know, how racists compare the appearance of apes and black people. Has nothing to do with this intelligence nonsense you're spewing. She's admitted she was wrong and that it was racist. She told people not to defend her racist comment. And yet here you are, knowing better than Rosanne herself, and coming up with some bizarre reason for why it's ok.

Wow
It appears you know nothing of what the movie was about. It was science FICTION and the 'apes' (it is true they were apes, my bad) were the superior race. So Roseanne was saying that the woman was a mix between a superior race and Islamists. And I know that may not have been intended to complement her, but it was a backhanded complement.
I really don't think people know what "racist" means. Racism is a stereotypical lumping of all people who share a trait, skin color, and demeaning and subjugating them against their will. Commonly, it is racist to state that, because of a person's skin color, they run faster, jump higher, or conversely are stupid. It's not racist to say that someone looks like a monkey. There are all colors of people who have features like that.
It's sorta like people who call my church the Roman Catholic Church. It's not Roman. yet all sorts of people, from bishops to anti-Catholics, use the term. Roseanne may have backed down, but many believe she had nothing to back down from, other than being impolite and petty.

Wow.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm surprised they didn't say they cancelled it because of John Goodman. His role wasn't well played anymore from what I could see.
Anyone remember the "All in the Family" series.
The character that Carroll O'Connor played, "Archie Bunker" was unlike the Mr C O in real life, according to this utube vid:

I remember this episode where he talks about a black President, now we have one LOL.
[One of my most favorite series back in the days]

Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟50,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I did not see this one coming.

Confession: I didn't watch Roseanne in it's original incarnation and tried very hard to avoid it in the current (well, recent I guess) one.

No reason, just not interested.

I understand it was REALLY popular and was already greenlighted for a second season.

Except not anymore.

ABC Cancels Roseanne’s Show Over Her ‘Repugnant’ Racist Tirade

This surprises me honestly because it's not even the first time Ms. Barr has compared an Obama administration member to an ape. Or used an Islamic slur.

I just thought ABC thought any pub was good pub.

Anyway. Roseanne reboot we hardly new ye.

for me, this is only further proof that liberals can control almost everything that is viewed on television.

• Agree
Upvote 0