Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised they didn't say they cancelled it because of John Goodman. His role wasn't well played anymore from what I could see.
Supposedly Mr. Goodman is a nice guy. Ms Barr does not have that reputation.

Maybe his heart just wasn't in it anymore.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think police officers are necessarily racist [staff edit]. I just think they're scared of black people. Which is why they shoot first and don't actually bother asking questions.
Thanks for proving my point. :oldthumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Supposedly Mr. Goodman is a nice guy. Ms Barr does not have that reputation.

Maybe his heart just wasn't in it anymore.
Well maybe she needs to speak louder to be heard, domestic goddess that she is. Actually the whole women as goddess thing is quite repugnant too.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
xxx-d01-mad-alfred-18.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly. Everyone knows that referring to black people as apes is a sign of affection.
But, of course, that's not what she said, at all. She said Planet of the Apes meet Islamic something. There's no such thing as a 'planet of the ape', it's a movie. So no racism.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wow, so now we're expecting fictional characters with no pretense of being strongly devoted Christians to act like they're following Christ to a perfect "T". How exactly does that work anyway? Good grief I want to go to wherever you're going to Church to meet these "Love thy neighbor" Christians cause from where I live, "loving thy neighbor" amounts to diddly squat, as in the sounds of silence. Be doing really great to get a casual wave or eye contact. One of the big draws to the original Rosanne series was the down to earth realism and commonality with "blue collar" people. Gone were the masks and pretense of always "friendly" always cheerful bliss covering issues and problems. Personally I did not appreciate the direction the original series took after the first few seasons, but it had some positive influence and impact, American society just took it way too far, from one extreme to another.

Actually we're talking about a real person, Roseanne Barr, representing herself on here own twitter account making a racist statement for, honestly, no apparent reason.

And, one Christian to another, if Love your neighbor means diddly squat where you live it's on you. Because you should be loving your neighbor no matter who they are or whether they love you back.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But, of course, that's not what she said, at all. She said Planet of the Apes meet Islamic something. There's no such thing as a 'planet of the ape', it's a movie. So no racism.
Root:

Is this really the hill you want to die on ?

Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of a weak argument. Little Boy Sambo, Kunta Kinte, and Aunt Jemima are fictional characters. Referring to an African-American as one of those monikers would be a weeeeeee bit racist (unless they're dressed up that way for Halloween or something).

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Root:

Is this really the hill you want to die on ?
I don't really care. Compared to what the left says about the right, this is zip, zilch, nada, nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Walk into any science classroom and they'll compare you to an ape any day of the week.
Go back to school and ask for a better education.

Homo Sapiens did not evolve from apes. Apes and Men evolved from a common ancestor.

Saucy, seriously, that's basic. I mean, first day basic

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's kind of a weak argument. Little Boy Sambo, Kunta Kinte, and Aunt Jemima are fictional characters. Referring to an African-American as one of those monikers would be a weeeeeee bit racist (unless they're dressed up that way for Halloween or something).
Sure, if you look for racism in everything. Let's examine the Lion King, for example, and see how racist that movie was. OR Jungle Book, how about it? If she said VJ looks black, is that racist? IF she said she looks part black, part Arab, is that racist? Why do we even bother with those ancestry sites? Isn't it to determine our actual race? And isn't it to show what our racial mix is? Most white people aren't pure caucasian, many blacks in the US aren't pure negro. Personally, I don't care about skin color. And for the record, I never used any of those 23 and me things to know my heritage, because it don't matter a whit. I am me. You are you. Be a good person, I'll see a good person. I don't particularly like Roseanne, or what she did, but fire her for it? I don't think so. For the record, Kaepernick didn't get fired because of kneeling.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟897,101.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
So in the secular mainstream fictional program Roseanne Barr in the re-boot plays the role of a conservative Trump supporter, and similar to Trump does not always choose her words wisely, or converse like a college professor, more like an average person, and resorts to name calling?!?! Oh the shame, oh the crime of it all! Make it stop please!

You realise what she said, right? Like, it's racist and all, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You realise what she said, right? Like, it's racist and all, right?
It's not racist if you're referring to a movie. I guess

Also, on another note entirely, homosexuality has something to do with magnets.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Go back to school and ask for a better education.

Homo Sapiens did not evolve from apes. Apes and Men evolved from a common ancestor.

Saucy, seriously, that's basic. I mean, first day basic
A distinction without a difference. I mean, really. We're told we have common ancestors, ergo we descended from apes. It's almost like inferring that likening someone to a Planet of the Apes character is a racial slur.

• Winner
Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sure, if you look for racism in everything. Let's examine the Lion King, for example, and see how racist that movie was. OR Jungle Book, how about it? If she said VJ looks black, is that racist? IF she said she looks part black, part Arab, is that racist? Why do we even bother with those ancestry sites? Isn't it to determine our actual race? And isn't it to show what our racial mix is? Most white people aren't pure caucasian, many blacks in the US aren't pure negro. Personally, I don't care about skin color. And for the record, I never used any of those 23 and me things to know my heritage, because it don't matter a whit. I am me. You are you. Be a good person, I'll see a good person. I don't particularly like Roseanne, or what she did, but fire her for it? I don't think so. For the record, Kaepernick didn't get fired because of kneeling.
I don't think it takes a lot of "looking" to know that calling an African-American "Kunta Kinta" is probably racist. Unless, of course, his name really is Kunta Kinte, in which case my condolences to him for his parents.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A distinction without a difference. I mean, really. We're told we have common ancestors, ergo we descended from apes.
i'm sorry but you have a fundemental missunderstanding here. Your logic is flawed.

We are told that apes and humans have a common ancestor humans and apes evolved seperately from that ancestor. The ancestor wasn't an ape. The ancestor was something else. Two seperate branches off a common ancestor. Do you understand now ?

It's almost like inferring that likening someone to a Planet of the Apes character is a racial slur.

You have a fundamental misrepresentation here.

I'm not inferring a racial slur for a reference to Planet of the Apes. I'm interpreting the text as implying a racial slur by referencing Planet of the Apes. Ms. Barr made the implication, I'm just reading the tweet with the most straight forward interpretation available to me.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A distinction without a difference. I mean, really. We're told we have common ancestors, ergo we descended from apes. It's almost like inferring that likening someone to a Planet of the Apes character is a racial slur.

Let's try this another way. Consider the following illustration, which shows the descent of non-homo sapiens hominids (on the left side of the tree; represented here by a chimpanzee, because that's how it happens to be in this particular drawing that I got from Google image search) and humans (on the right):

3cefc8408cb375b63ef1427672e3fe1e.jpg

Do humans and chimps have a common ancestor? Yes, the presumed "Hominin ancestor".

Does that mean that human beings (homo sapiens) evolved from apes/chimpanzees (chimpanzees being within the same hominid family as the ape)? No. As you can see above, there is no line showing such a branching connection from the chimp to the human such as would make that statement true. Human beings did not evolve from apes/chimps, but do share a common ancestor with them.

Upvote 0