Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you mean by "cavemen." The word doesn't refer to any one branch of human ancestry, but rather to a popular (mis)conception of early hominids.

If you're asking whether ape-to-human transitionals existed, then yes. If you're asking whether they wore cheetahskin togas and dragged cavewomen around by their hair, then no.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Yes, and according to creationists, they were quite musial

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/aprilfool.html

ntalband.jpg

"Many of these items were discovered in the Neander valley of Germany where the very first Neandertal fossil was discovered in 1856. For instance a tuba, a musical instrument made from a mastodon tusk, what looks like a bagpipe made from a part of an animal bladder, a triangle, and a xylophone made from hollowed out bones." - Marvin Lubenow

Upvote 0

shadowmage36

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu ftaghn!
Jul 31, 2006
Delaware
✟8,108.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It really depends on what you mean by "caveman."

As has been said, the standard pop-culture concept, which has already been mentioned, is patently false.

However, many early hominids, and especially the later ones, like Neandertals and Cro-magnon, probably did live in caves. Evidence of such has been found in Europe in various places, in the form of paintings and etchings on cave walls, stone tools and weapons, carved figurines, charred and chewed animal bones, and burial sites in ancient caves all across the continent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shadowmage36

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu ftaghn!
Jul 31, 2006
Delaware
✟8,108.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
How does the definition of "cave" depend on whether or not you believe in evolution?

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language said:
cave ([FONT=verdana, sans-serif] P [/FONT]) Pronunciation Key (k
amacr.gif
v)
n.
  1. A hollow or natural passage under or into the earth, especially one with an opening to the surface.
  2. A storage cellar, especially for wine.
v. caved, cav·ing, caves
v. tr.
  1. To dig or hollow out.
  2. To cause to collapse or fall in. Often used with in: The impact caved in the roof of the car.
v. intr.
  1. To fall in; collapse. Often used with in: The walls caved in during the earthquake.
  2. To give up all opposition; yield. Often used with in: The school committee caved in to the demands of parents.
  3. To explore caves.
{Middle English, from Old French, from Latin cava, from neuter pl. of cavus, hollow. See keu
schwa.gif
- in Indo-European Roots.}
:cool: ;) (No hard feelings. It's early and I haven't had coffee yet.)

Heck, even with what I said earlier, you don't necessarily have to believe in evolution. You just need to believe that the evidence shows early man lived in caves, and that the evidence I've cited is valid. (As an aside, I do believe in evolution, but that doesn't need to figure in here.)

Upvote 0
E

Everloving

shadowmage36 said:
How does the definition of "cave" depend on whether or not you believe in evolution?

:cool: ;) (No hard feelings. It's early and I haven't had coffee yet.)

Heck, even with what I said earlier, you don't necessarily have to believe in evolution. You just need to believe that the evidence shows early man lived in caves, and that the evidence I've cited is valid. (As an aside, I do believe in evolution, but that doesn't need to figure in here.)

LOL!!! Sorry. I meant cave man:blush: . I'm just saying you can either believe in evolution and think cave men were early stages of humans, or you can believe in a seven day creation and believe that cave men were the early humans that sought shelter in caves. That's what I meant by difference. I believe in creation, but I'm not here to offend anyone. They're just two ways of discribing a man who lives in a cave. Also, bepending on what you believe, the time periods in which they lived would be dirrerent. Thanx for the definition of cave though. :D I never said anything you said was wrong.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Chris Green said:
'when' did they exist?
Usually, the term, "caveman" is used to refer to Neanderthals, Cro-Magnon, or Homo sapiens of the Paleolithic era. So your answer would span from the first use of stone tools around 2 million years ago to the invention of agriculture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Everloving said:
I'm just saying you can either believe in evolution and think cave men were early stages of humans, or you can believe in a seven day creation and believe that cave men were the early humans that sought shelter in caves.
Some people believe that Jesus was born in a cave. They say that they use to keep the animals in a cave in the winter and they had a house close by, or even a house that was built onto the cave.

Upvote 0

shadowmage36

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu ftaghn!
Jul 31, 2006
Delaware
✟8,108.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
Some people believe that Jesus was born in a cave. They say that they use to keep the animals in a cave in the winter and they had a house close by, or even a house that was built onto the cave.

Holy random interjection, Batman!

:doh:

Reactions: Mincus
Upvote 0

Carey

Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
Chris Green said:
Did they exist?
Yes but God did not consider them men.

God made man(test tube baby modern terminology) and woman(altered clone modern terminology) and put them on the earth long after the extinction of the animals we call cave"men"

Upvote 0

OdwinOddball

Atheist Water Fowl
Jan 3, 2006
Birmingham, AL
✟22,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Carey said:
Yes but God did not consider them men.

God made man(test tube baby modern terminology) and woman(altered clone modern terminology) and put them on the earth long after the extinction of the animals we call cave"men"

And you have evidence for this? Or is this just an assumption based on your desire for a 2000+ year old story to be true?

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Everloving said:
The definition of caveman also depends on whether otr not you believe in evolutio. But, lets not get into that. Too many scarey fights over that one.

(Cringes then runs away before anyone can yell. )
No need to run away, there's no one yelling (yet). Care to elaborate on why the definition of "caveman" depends on evolution?

Upvote 0