Sebring, FL
✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He asked for evidence. I gave him evidence. I don’t know what else to tell you.

If you search through my posts on this site you will easily confirm that I have been no defender of the Catholic Church when it comes to abuse.

Right is right. Wrong is wrong. No matter who does it. Simple as that.

You missed the point that I made. In the RCC the top priority has always been to protect the priest.

Among evangelical Protestants the top priority is to protect the congregation and the public.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
You missed the point that I made. In the RCC the top priority has always been to protect the priest.

Among evangelical Protestants the top priority is to protect the congregation and the public.
Hogwash.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Mainline Protestants are morally opposed to evangelization and will be tentative even if you want them to convince you

My pastor says mainline Protestants and Lutherans are used to a culture of "nice", to the point that many are quite hesitant to discuss their faith openly. And many are older and used to evangelization being the task of the clergy.

Of course as a Lutheran I am completely opossed to proselytism and other manipulative techniques that some evangelicals use to market/sell the Gospel. But that doesn't mean we can't be more open in proclaiming our faith in appropriate ways.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Watch the journey home and see the traffic protestant to catholic is large as well , just not advertised - many ministers and theologians included , and in that case always because study of the early church which is incompatible with being Protestant.

As Newman put it : to be "deep in history is to cease to be Protestant"

All the Catholics I know do read the bible. Are the ones who do not read it properly Catholic in other than name?

I occasionally see ex Catholics posting on forums, and am appalled about how little they knew of the church they left, and indeed why Catholics believe what they do.
It seems they were more interested in studying the anticatholic myth playbook , than studying the truth.

You quote a single example of a priest , I can quote hundreds of pastors of EVERY denomination, became catholic because of study of early church fathers.

"One out of every 10 Americans is an ex-Catholic. If they were a separate denomination, they would be the third-largest denomination in the United States, after Catholics and Baptists. One of three people who were raised Catholic no longer identifies as Catholic."

At least half of those leaving the Roman Catholic Church become Protestant. Why?

" ... the Catholic church has failed to deliver what people consider fundamental products of religion: spiritual sustenance and a good worship service."

So that's it! The Protestants have a better worship service. I'm not the only person who gets tired of the mumbo jumbo.

Are those who leave mere lukewarm Catholics?

"We are losing the best, not the worst." After all: "They are leaving to get spiritual nourishment from worship services and the Bible."

Here's part of the problem:
"Few Catholics read the Bible."

That helps to explain why Catholics leave the RCC, to join a church where people do read the Bible.

These quotes are from Father Thomas Reese, SJ, former editor of America, the Jesuit magazine.

Link:
The hidden exodus: Catholics becoming Protestants

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Watch the journey home and see the traffic protestant to catholic is large as well , just not advertised - many ministers and theologians included , and in that case always because study of the early church which is incompatible with being Protestant.

We don't need anecdotes when we have data. Here's the latest chart again. Very few protestants become Catholic, actually, and the ones that do are mostly mainline.

RelgiousSwithching2014-2.png

From the 2009 Pew report (the previous survey), here are common Catholic reasons for becoming evangelical:
  • Spiritual needs not being met (78%)
  • Found a religion they liked more (70%)
  • Stopped believing in Catholicism (62%)
  • Unhappy with teachings about the Bible (55%)
  • Just gradually drifted away from Catholicism (54%)
  • Dissatisfied with atmosphere at worship services (36%)
And common Catholic reasons for becoming mainline:
  • Found a religion they liked more (69%)
  • Spiritual needs not being met (57%)
  • Just gradually drifted away from Catholicism (53%)
  • Married someone from a different faith (44%)
  • Dissatisfied with clergy at congregation (39%)
  • Unhappy with teachings on abortion/homosexuality (31%)
  • Unhappy with way Catholicism treated women (31%)
  • Unhappy with teachings on divorce/remarriage (31%)
  • Unhappy with rule that priests cannot marry (30%)
And common Catholic reasons for becoming unaffiliated:
  • Just gradually drifted away from Catholicism (71%)
  • Stopped believing in Catholicism (65%)
  • Unhappy with teachings on abortion/homosexuality (56%)
  • Unhappy with teachings on birth control (48%)
  • Spiritual needs not being met (43%)
  • Unhappy with way Catholicism treated women (39%)
  • Unhappy with teachings on divorce/remarriage (33%)

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The second priority is gathering up the money for the pay-off

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This isn't some unidirectional phenomenon. Even as many Catholics become Protestant, many Protestants become Catholic. The stream flows both ways.

-CryptoLutheran
J

Oh well,I felt good there for a little while....lol

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
J

Oh well,I felt good there for a little while....lol

I don't think it's fundamentally an issue. Sometimes salmon swim upstream, sometimes salmon swim downstream--salmon are still salmon. Christians are still Christians.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This isn't some unidirectional phenomenon. Even as many Catholics become Protestant, many Protestants become Catholic. The stream flows both ways.

True, but the flow from Catholic to Protestant is enormously larger than the flow from Protestant to Catholic -- see the colourful chart.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Athanasius,
Welcome, since you are fairly new to CF. You must be familiar with church history to adopt a name like Athanasius.

Athanasius: "Vatican II has been a disaster for the Church. Church attendance collapsed and vocations to the priesthood evaporated."

It is my understanding that in our sex-soaked society, it is getting too hard to find anyone willing to take a vow of celibacy. On top of that, many of those who do don't abide by it.

I don't think all of the RCC's problems can be blamed on Vatican II.

Thanks, I do have a decent familiarity with church history. Its one of the topics I teach with regularity at my parish.

Athanasius,
Welcome, since you are fairly new to CF. You must be familiar with church history to adopt a name like Athanasius.

Athanasius: "Vatican II has been a disaster for the Church. Church attendance collapsed and vocations to the priesthood evaporated."

It is my understanding that in our sex-soaked society, it is getting too hard to find anyone willing to take a vow of celibacy. On top of that, many of those who do don't abide by it.

I don't think all of the RCC's problems can be blamed on Vatican II.

I don't think so either. I believe that the craziness that occurred in the "spirit" of VII left the church unable to respond effectively to the rising secularism and open hostility she is facing now. And that is just one of many issues facing the church.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread will remain closed.
No matter what denomination you belong to or might join,
CF rules require you to be courteous and respectful
in your interactions with one another,
and to refrain from flaming and goading.​
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.