United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
True story.
After several years according to his testimony to me, he said that he had accepted Jesus as his savior and wanted to join our Protestant church. So that is what he and his wife did.
When that happened his parents completely dissociated themselves from their son.
He passed away shortly after that never again speaking with his parents and they did not even attend his funeral.
I later discovered that, that is the normal procedure when a family member becomes saved and leaves the Catholic church.
I didn't know that I was supposed to completely dissociate from relatives who leave the faith. I just didn't know. But I learn something new every day here. Thanks so much for letting me know. I try to be a good Catholic, but I still keep in touch with my brother who left the Catholic faith years ago. Thanks to you now I know what I have to do to continue being a good Catholic. Thanks again.

Reactions: frettr00
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, the women priests and gay people getting married might tip you off.

Peace,
Where I live, there is only one Episcopal church in the county. The parish priest has let it be known that he opposes homosexuality and the Bishop opposes it as well. Episcopal Bishops have a lot of power, more so than Roman Catholic Bishops.

• Agree
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't believe the St. Louis Post Dispatch article was accurate. In the aftermath of Roe v Wade, the SBC passed another resolution that was much harsher on abortion, allowing fewer exceptions, than before.
Did you read the article I linked to? The SBC had a checkered past. They finally did figure it out but not initially.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Open your eyes, pal.

You were saying that sex abuse is widespread in Protestant denominations.

Where I live in south central Florida, the Catholic Bishop is the Bishop of Palm Beach. In the last few years, two consecutive Bishops of Palm Beach were forced out because of sex abuse situations.

When I lived in Atlanta, one of the Catholic churches there had a major scandal involving child sex abuse by a priest. The church shielded the priest by moving him to a monastery in England.

I am also aware of sexual problems involving a youth minister at evangelical churches in the same area and in the same time period. The difference is that at both evenagelical churches, the offender was immediately dismissed. Unlike the RCC, the church did not protect the offender but fired him. In the evangelical churches, the congregation was immediately told the facts and events took their course.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We Catholics do THAT? Wow. I didn't know.

Actually there is a moment in reciting the creed where we bow in honor of the incarnation. Could it be you mean that instead?

Yes, that it what I meant. During the line "He became incarnate from the Virgin Mary" is when they bow. At the parish I've been to a couple times, if I remember correctly they bowed at the words "Virgin Mary" so I always thought it was bowing for Mary.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is a lot of variability within the ECUSA (aka TEC). Some pockets of resistance can persist, so while the ECUSA is for homosexual marriage, this new orthodoxy hasn't made it's way to every corner. And while the ECUSA is suspended for the moment, it looks like the issue will continue to hit the fan for the whole Anglican communion. Their African members are not very keen on it.

Once, years ago, while I was working in Africa, I stumbled into a church service where there was a priest who looked Catholic, all the words (after my impromptu translating) appeared to be Catholic, and so I thought it was actually Catholic. Only afterwards did I discover that it was actually Anglican. Not always easy to tell.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
You were saying that sex abuse is widespread in Protestant denominations.

Where I live in south central Florida, the Catholic Bishop is the Bishop of Palm Beach. In the last few years, two consecutive Bishops of Palm Beach were forced out because of sex abuse situations.

When I lived in Atlanta, one of the Catholic churches there had a major scandal involving child sex abuse by a priest. The church shielded the priest by moving him to a monastery in England.

I am also aware of sexual problems involving a youth minister at evangelical churches in the same area and in the same time period. The difference is that at both evenagelical churches, the offender was immediately dismissed. Unlike the RCC, the church did not protect the offender but fired him. In the evangelical churches, the congregation was immediately told the facts and events took their course.
Evangelical Sex Abuse Record 'Worse' Than Catholic, Says Billy Graham's Grandson Boz Tchividijian | HuffPost

The Silence of the Lambs

Took me 10 seconds to Google.

• Haha
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, that it what I meant. During the line "He became incarnate from the Virgin Mary" is when they bow. At the parish I've been to a couple times, if I remember correctly they bowed at the words "Virgin Mary" so I always thought it was bowing for Mary.
The bow is for the incarnation.

"For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man."

It is not a bow for Mary. It is a bow for Jesus, Emmanuel, God with us.

Quite a big difference.

• Agree
Reactions: frettr00
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Took me 10 seconds to Google.
Yes, they have a big problem. But it does no good to do comparative abuse statistics. First, reflective Protestants already know they have a problem. Second, non-reflective ones will not be convinced ever that they have a problem. Third, we look bad for trying to make the comparison, as if we are trying to shift the focus off of 'evil' Catholicism. So it's best, after some links like you provided, to let it go. They get their famous last word about 'evil' Catholicism and everybody else already knows the score anyhow. It's a tragedy that this exists at all. And the denial of it is an even bigger tragedy, no matter where it is found.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Yes, they have a big problem. But it does no good to do comparative abuse statistics. First, reflective Protestants already know they have a problem. Second, non-reflective ones will not be convinced ever that they have a problem. Third, we look bad for trying to make the comparison, as if we are trying to shift the focus off of 'evil' Catholicism. So it's best, after some links like you provided, to let it go. They get their famous last word about 'evil' Catholicism and everybody else already knows the score anyhow. It's a tragedy that this exists at all. And the denial of it is an even bigger tragedy, no matter where it is found.
He asked for evidence. I gave him evidence. I don’t know what else to tell you.

If you search through my posts on this site you will easily confirm that I have been no defender of the Catholic Church when it comes to abuse.

Right is right. Wrong is wrong. No matter who does it. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He asked for evidence. I gave him evidence. I don’t know what else to tell you.
You did. It's up to that person to accept it or dismiss it out of hand. Deniers are often stubborn deniers.
If you search through my posts on this site you will easily confirm that I have been no defender of the Catholic Church when it comes to abuse.
I know. You are intolerant of it as I am. Good.
Right is right. Wrong is wrong. No matter who does it. Simple as that.
Yes. But short of a miracle there are a few Protestants who can not and will not see the problems in their own denominations. Of course many of those denominations don't have extensive records so there is often more work to find those problems. Anyhow, it fits into their narrative that the Catholic Church is evil and whatever they belong to is as pure as the driven snow. Well, we started out with Judas who sold Jesus out for money and Peter the denier and still have bad people in our Church. They don't have that history.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point, those Pew numbers only relate to religious switching. There is also immigration and babies.

Mind you, even with immigration and babies, the Catholic church in the USA is shrinking, from 23.9% in 2007 to 20.8% in 2014.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't know that I was supposed to completely dissociate from relatives who leave the faith. I just didn't know. But I learn something new every day here. Thanks so much for letting me know. I try to be a good Catholic, but I still keep in touch with my brother who left the Catholic faith years ago. Thanks to you now I know what I have to do to continue being a good Catholic. Thanks again.

You are welcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Chevy,

You say that Roman Catholics invented the pro-life movement.

In 1971, the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod passed a resolution condemning abortion.
In 1971, the Southern Baptist Convention passed a resolution condemning abortion.

Roe v Wade was handed down in January of 1973.

Conservative Protestants were always against abortion.

Just for trivia purposes Dale, I was at the Convention in 1971.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe the St. Louis Post Dispatch article was accurate. In the aftermath of Roe v Wade, the SBC passed another resolution that was much harsher on abortion, allowing fewer exceptions, than before.

Correct and that was a special called meeting in Orlando Fl.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, the women priests and gay people getting married might tip you off.
...as opposed to the gay priests and unhappy women in the Catholic church.

No wonder people have a hard time keeping the two denominations separate. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
...as opposed to the gay priests and unhappy women in the Catholic church.

No wonder people have a hard time keeping the two denominations separate. ;)
Keep trying, pal. One day even you will say something witty.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Open your eyes, pal.

Wow. Can't say that I am surprised by your attitude though.

BTW - my eyes are open which is exactly why I do not participate in the counterfeit church system, which by the way was infiltrated by Jesuits a long time ago. Maybe it is you who should open your eyes. It is my impression you are young and have no idea what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.