Do you need to to be Catholic in order to go to heaven?

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • don't know

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No. A lot of the Catholic doctrine you will not find in the bible and even seems contrary to it. The bible says salvation is 'not by works, lest any man shall boast', but the Catholic church seems to relish quite heavily on works .

The doctrine of purgatory isn't in the bible at all and seems more like a quick cash scheme, and a cruel one at that. "Your loved ones souls is in purgatory! For a good sum of money, we'll pray them out!"

Asking a priest of pastor for forgiveness, not biblical.
Praying to Mary, that Mary remained a virgin her whole life, or that she's the mother of God, not biblical.
Praying to the saints, not biblical.
All the sacraments, not biblical.

Upvote 0

macek

Apr 21, 2017
Ljubljana
✟65,547.00
Country
Slovenia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In short, no. It can lead you to God but it is not the only one path nor does it make the journey to God for you, as it is with any other denominations.

Way to God is obedience to Him (My sheep hear My voice and obey), fulfilling His two commandments (love thy God and love your brothers and sisters), repenting from sin and leading a holy life (Be ye holy for I am your Lord and your God).

Upvote 0

Applekrate

Site Supporter
Apr 2, 2017
Arizona
✟127,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was brought up Catholic and changed to being a protestant in my mid 20s after I learned and studied scripture more. I would also say that most Catholics are actually Protestants ( as I was ) and did not realize it. Few Catholics really believe and follow all of Catholic doctrine.
Things like Praying to Mary, praying to saints, pergatory, the Pope and more are things Catholics do that is not Biblical. In some ways, following Catholic doctrine to the letter may keep you from Heaven.

Upvote 0

Applekrate

Site Supporter
Apr 2, 2017
Arizona
✟127,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because some Catholic made that claim to her (as was explained on another thread).
If Catholics wish to make such a strong statement like that, I would immediately ask for Biblical references. Problem is with Catholics, the Pope can change, or add, what he wants ( walking and chewing gum as an example ). In Catholic doctrine, the pope has power to do that. NOT scriptural.

Am now much more closer and personal to Christ as a Protestant since I left Catholicsm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

macek

Apr 21, 2017
Ljubljana
✟65,547.00
Country
Slovenia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Am now much more closer and personal to Christ as a Protestant since I left Catholicsm.
You do realize that you traded apples for oranges? All denominations are based on some man's interpretation and thus skewed in some way. All of them. You can still come to know Jesus through them but saying one is better because the other is this and that is just silly. Though some are more warped than others i will give you that.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Catholicism teaches a works based "salvation" (penance, purgatory, indulgences, sacraments etc.) Catholic doctrine also encourages praying to the dead (Mary and the saints) which is necromancy, as well as revering/even worshipping relics (idolatry).

So no, Biblically, the Catholic Church and its doctrines are not the way to God. These things actually keep people from God and from having a living and personal relationship with the Saviour, Jesus Christ. The Catholic Church actually teaches that it is dangerous to have a personal relationship with Jesus, therefore one must go through the Catholic Church to do so.

The Bible is clear, however, that there is ONE Mediator between God and man, and that is Jesus Christ, not the Pope, not the priests, not the saints and not Mary.

And salvation is by grace through faith, not of works. If we add works, it is no more grace.

I truly hope you find a solid and Biblical Church, with brothers and sisters in Christ that will encourage you in the faith once delivered to the saints.

God bless. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that you traded apples for oranges? All denominations are based on some man's interpretation and thus skewed in some way. All of them. You can still come to know Jesus through them but saying one is better because the other is this and that is just silly. Though some are more warped than others i will give you that.
I disagree. Some stress the person's relationship to the Lord while others stress church membership and the participation in their rituals/ceremonies. They may all answer the same way if the question is put to them about Man and God, but they are different in practice.

Upvote 0

macek

Apr 21, 2017
Ljubljana
✟65,547.00
Country
Slovenia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Like i said some are more warped than others but you can still get to know Jesus very personally even in those more warped ones because friendship with Him is not dependent on your church of choice but on your faith and you being obedient to Him and His commandments. There were/are Catholics out there that do have a very personal friendship with Jesus.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
What do you think?
For me, I would say yes, because I believe what the Catholic Church teaches about herself. If I were to reject the Catholic Church I would be rejecting what I believe to be the truth.

For people who have not come to the belief that what the Catholic Church claims about herself to be true, I would say that it is possible for them to be saved, but more difficult, because they do not have all of the graces that Jesus provides through the Sacraments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Catholicism teaches a works based "salvation" (penance, purgatory, indulgences, sacraments etc.) Catholic doctrine also encourages praying to the dead (Mary and the saints) which is necromancy, as well as revering/even worshipping relics (idolatry).

So no, Biblically, the Catholic Church and its doctrines are not the way to God. These things actually keep people from God and from having a living and personal relationship with the Saviour, Jesus Christ. The Catholic Church actually teaches that it is dangerous to have a personal relationship with Jesus, therefore one must go through the Catholic Church to do so.

The Bible is clear, however, that there is ONE Mediator between God and man, and that is Jesus Christ, not the Pope, not the priests, not the saints and not Mary.

And salvation is by grace through faith, not of works. If we add works, it is no more grace.

I truly hope you find a solid and Biblical Church, with brothers and sisters in Christ that will encourage you in the faith once delivered to the saints.

God bless. :)

Where does the Catholic Church teach that it is dangerous to have a personal relationship with Jesus?

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
No. A lot of the Catholic doctrine you will not find in the bible and even seems contrary to it. The bible says salvation is 'not by works, lest any man shall boast', but the Catholic church seems to relish quite heavily on works .
You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

The doctrine of purgatory isn't in the bible at all and seems more like a quick cash scheme, and a cruel one at that. "Your loved ones souls is in purgatory! For a good sum of money, we'll pray them out!"
The sale of indulgences was an abuse, and was strictly prohibited by Pope Pius V in 1567.

Asking a priest of pastor for forgiveness, not biblical.
Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.

Is any one among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.

Praying to Mary, that Mary remained a virgin her whole life, or that she's the mother of God, not biblical.
Praying to the saints, not biblical.
All the sacraments, not biblical.
Sola Scriptura. Not biblical.

• Winner
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
That's awesome. Now you can come home to the Catholic Church and improve your personal relationship with Jesus even more.

• Winner
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Where does the Catholic Church teach that it is dangerous to have a personal relationship with Jesus?

All throughout its history and its doctrines. Pope Francis recently reiterated this as well.

I've done (and continue to do) a lot of research regarding the Catholic Church, its history and its doctrines. The reason I have done so is primarily because my mother grew up Catholic and her parents (my grandparents) remained Catholic for their entire lives.

There was also a point, years ago, that I considered becoming Catholic.

What has become absolutely clear to me, is that according to Catholic history/tradition/doctrine, a person must go through the Church and all its doctrines, traditions and ordinances in order to have and maintain a relationship with Christ. As such, the sacraments and all the rituals and instructions must be faithfully observed. Furthermore, according to Catholic teaching, because Protestants/non-Catholics do not have the true sacraments and the unbroken line of "apostolic sucession" from Peter to the current Pope, Francis, they are not in true fellowship/relationship with Christ.

Therefore, in order to be in true relationship with Christ, according to Catholic doctrine/tradition, one must go through the Catholic Church.

This is what the official Catholic stance is on he matter, though surely not all Catholics agree.

Upvote 0