Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And yet you deny the presence of Christ in the Eucharist, something unheard of in Christianity for hundreds of years. Why do you think protestants have lost this part of the faith?

What I deny is that Christ is being offered up over and over again, times without number, on countless Catholic alters. Christ's sacrifice is finished, as He said. He has risen and ascended to Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Through the body of Christ, which is his Church.

You can't get around the reality that the Catholic Church gave you the New Testament.

God gave me (and everyone else) the entire Bible. It is His inspired word.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I deny is that Christ is being offered up over and over again, times without number, on countless Catholic alters. Christ's sacrifice is finished, as He said. He has risen and ascended to Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

ANAMNESIS

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And many, many do not. Especially non-denominational churches. The church I grew up in did, too.
It's funny that that's the point you picked up on.

I don't find it "funny" at all. You wrote that Protestant churches do not have Christmas Day services. That is simply not true, as many do.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Bishop Oliver Doeme is the Bishop in Africa whom had Jesus appear to Him last year with Christians widely reporting about Jesus Christ our Merciful Saviour requesting that he and Catholic Parishioners in Gods Church pray The Most Holy Rosary for the elimination of Boko Haram away from them and after The Most Holy was prayed and they did not return Bishop Doeme said

"Never mess with our Blessed Virgin Mother"

I'd be far more concerned with "messing with" God.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The sacrifice of Christ is once and for all. It is ever present to us. We enter in to his sacrifice at mass. It is a beautiful gift that he has given us.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Honestly, I can think of no more poignant example of the difference between putting one's faith in God versus faith in men than your response and the quote to which you responded.

• Winner
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The physical writings were selected and preserved by the Catholic Church, which is what God decided to do. He used the body of Christ.

At which point did the Church Jesus started become unacceptable to you?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The sacrifice of Christ is once and for all. It is ever present to us. We enter in to his sacrifice at mass. It is a beautiful gift that he has given us.

Indeed it is, and we accept it by faith. The sacrifice itself is finished, complete, entirely sufficient. (It was offered, by Christ Himself, once, for all time on the cross). Jesus is in Heaven, at the right hand of the Father in resurrected, imperishable, immortal, incorruptible holiness.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Indeed it is, and we accept it by faith. The sacrifice itself is finished, complete, entirely sufficient. (It was offered, by Christ Himself, once, for all time on the cross). Jesus is in Heaven, at the right hand of the Father in resurrected, imperishable, immortal, incorruptible holiness.

Jesus said he would be with us always until the end of the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The physical writings were selected and preserved by the Catholic Church, which is what God decided to do. He used the body of Christ.

At which point did the Church Jesus started become unacceptable to you?

The Church Jesus started is not unacceptable to me, it consists of all true believers around the world and the gates of Hell have not and will not prevail against it.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Holy Michael Archangel defend us in the day of battle be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil may God rebuke Him we humbly pray and do Thou Prince of the Heavenly Host by the Power of God thrust down to hell satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls Amen

We are all Gods Children hearts souls and He Loves us all very much yet we have to repent sins to Jesus for the hurt we have caused our Lord Jesus because every sin wrongdoing Crucifies our Lord Jesus over again in front of God our Heavenly Divine Majesty with Jesus Loving God our Heavenly Father in unimaginable Profound Love of Gods with Holy Spirit always wanting to please God our Heavenly Father and to have Mercy upon our poor miserable souls unworthy to enter Heaven until turning to Jesus in trust our Love deep Love of Jesus gratitude deep gratitude for Jesus and His Bitter Passion suffered of which Jesus said to His Holy Saints that this was much worse than being nailed to the Cross yet it is through Jesus Precious Holy Divine Sacred Wounds God looks through and through Jesus Bitter Passion suffered through Jesus Sorrows Sufferings and Precious Holy Sacred Blood we can be saved through Holy Confession and Holy Communion with Jesus delivering His Holy Wound Chaplet to Saint Marie Chambon asking all hearts souls to Immerse their sufferings illnesses Hearts souls in His Holy Wounds and Precious Sacred Blood and He will hear and answer Healing us

Once I quickly immerse my heart soul and any dilemma in Jesus Sacred Wounds and Precious Holy Blood praying in Love trust and gratitude to Jesus God Holy Spirit every pain hurt and dilemma Jesus in His Love and Mercy I do not deserve at all but nevertheless trusting in Jesus and His Mercy - Jesus removes every one of them by the time I have finished praying and talking to Jesus God my Heavenly Father and Holy Spirit with all of Thy Glory my Dear Lord Jesus God my Heavenly Father and Holy Spirit with my Blessed Virgin Mother of God my Holy Mother Mary as my loving Holy Blessed Intecessory in God The Most in Gods Holy Will Love and Mercy

Jesus explains so many things in His Holy Wound Chaplet Holy messages to Saint Marie Chambon all directly reflecting Gods Holy Word asking at the same time for our sufferings to be offered up for The Holy Souls in Purgatory whom Jesus says suffer in fiery heat unbearable for Cleansing of their souls in varying places and degrees in Holy Purgatory

I will try at the end of the week to share with people some of Gods Holy Words Himself asking mankind to immerse hearts souls illnesses troubles in His Holy Wounds and turning to My Mother Jesus says more often to intercede

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are Peter and on this Rock I will build My Church and the gates of Hades will not prevail against Her

The Catholic Church in our Lord Jesus God The Most High and Holy Spirit and our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary is our Lord Jesus Church in which our Lord Jesus with in God, Holy Spirit is Manifested Present just as God our Heavenly Father was Present in His Church Temples in the early days and appearing to Moses Aaron and Holy Ezra and Holy Present in His Holy of Holmes in His Holy Temple where few Priests could go in with God The Most High requesting Aaron not others with Moses

God continued His Holy Requests through Jesus His Disciples His Priests to date in His Holy Roman Catholic Church all of Gods Holy Ways His Holy Requests one by One including our Lord Jesus Present in His Blessed Holy Sacrament placed at the Altar in His Holy Tabernacle and in His Holy Confessionals just as St Padre Pio could bilocate and other Saints Nuns in Gods Holy Will

Holy Saint Peter ensured through Jesus God Holy Spirit that every one of Gods Holy Will and Holy Ways in His Church were done through Rome the Vatican and these continue to date with Gods Blessed Holy Sacraments all of them received by His Children of whom have obeyed His Holy Word in His Call for repentance of sins made to Jesus and receiving our Lord Jesus Precious Holy Sacred Flesh and Holy Blood of which Jesus says contains His Blessings Holy Gifts Holy Graces if not daily weekly until we pass over or before Jesus appears soon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I listed about 35 verses supporting purgatory in post #434. That isn't enough?
Yes, we agreed that you listed a bunch of verses. What matters is what they say. You need to show how any of these proves a Purgatory, and I gave one example of why a verse that you cited does NOT do that.

You set out to prove Purgatory from Scripture. Go ahead. You can list as many verses as you want, or fewer than 35 for that matter, but only the ones that bear upon the subject of Purgatory are of concern to us here and now.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. As such, He sent the Spirit, as He promised.

1 Cor 10
15I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. 16Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?

1 Cor 11
27So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Hebrews 10:29
How much more severely do you think one deserves to be punished who has trampled on the Son of God, profaned the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we agreed that you listed a bunch of verses. What matters is what they say. You need to show how any of these proves a Purgatory, and I gave one example of why a verse that you cited does NOT do that.

You set out to prove Purgatory from Scripture. Go ahead. You can list as many verses as you want, or fewer than 35 for that matter, but only the ones that bear upon the subject of Purgatory are of concern to us here and now.

He made the case from scripture quite clearly. It is up to you to refute it.

Regardless, we are arguing over interpretations.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He made the case from scripture quite clearly. It is up to you to refute it.

Regardless, we are arguing over interpretations.

What early Christians believed:

Origen

If a man departs this life with lighter faults, he is condemned to fire which burns away the lighter materials, and prepares the soul for the kingdom of God, where nothing defiled may enter. For if on the foundation of Christ you have built not only gold and silver and precious stones (I Cor., 3); but also wood and hay and stubble, what do you expect when the soul shall be separated from the body? Would you enter into heaven with your wood and hay and stubble and thus defile the kingdom of God; or on account of these hindrances would you remain without and receive no reward for your gold and silver and precious stones? Neither is this just. It remains then that you be committed to the fire which will burn the light materials; for our God to those who can comprehend heavenly things is called a cleansing fire. But this fire consumes not the creature, but what the creature has himself built, wood, and hay and stubble. It is manifest that the fire destroys the wood of our transgressions and then returns to us the reward of our great works. (Patres Groeci. XIII, col. 445, 448 [A.D. 185-232]).

"As John stood near the Jordan among those who came to be baptized, accepting those who confessed their vices and their sins and rejecting the rest ... so will the Lord Jesus Christ stand in a river of fire next to a flaming sword and Baptize all those who should go to Paradise after they die, but who lack purgation... But those who do not bear the mark of the first Baptism will not be baptized in the bath of fire. One must first be Baptized in water and Spirit so that, when the river of fire is reached, the marks of the baths of water and Spirit will remain as signs that one is worthy of receiving the Baptism of fire in Jesus Christ." (Origen, Commentary on Luke, 24th Homily, before 253 A.D)

Abercius

The citizen of a prominent city, I erected this while I lived, that I might have a resting place for my body. Abercius is my name, a disciple of the chaste shepherd who feeds his sheep on the mountains and in the fields, who has great eyes surveying everywhere, who taught me the faithful writings of life. Standing by, I, Abercius, ordered this to be inscribed; truly I was in my seventy-second year. May everyone who is in accord with this and who understands it pray for Abercius (Epitaph of Abercius [A.D. 190]).

Tertullian

That allegory of the Lord [Matt. 5:25-26] . . . is extremely clear and simple in its meaning . . . [beware lest as] a transgressor of your agreement, before God the judge . . . and lest this judge deliver you over to the angel who is to execute the sentence, and he commit you to the prison of hell, out of which there will be no dismissal until the smallest even of your delinquencies be paid off in the period before the resurrection. What can be a more fitting sense than this? What a truer interpretation? (The Soul 35 [A.D. 210]).

"This place, the Bosom of Abraham, though not in Heaven, and yet above hell, offers the souls of the righteous an interim refreshment until the end of all things brings about the general resurrection and the final reward." (Tertullian, Against Marcion, 4:34, before 220 A.D.)

"Indeed she [a widow] prays for his [her husband's] soul and asks that he may, while waiting, find rest; and that he may share in the first resurrection [Heaven]. And each year, on the anniversity of his death, she offers the Sacrifice [i.e., has a Mass said for him]." (Tertullian, On Monagomy, 212 A.D.)

Cyprian

It is one thing to stand for pardon, another thing to attain to glory; it is one thing, when cast into prison, not to go out thence until one has paid the uttermost farthing; another thing at once to receive the wages of faith and courage. It is one thing, tortured by long suffering for sins, to be cleansed and long purged by fire; another to have purged all sins by suffering. It is one thing, in fine, to be in suspense till the sentence of God at the Day of judgment; another to be at once crowned by the Lord (Letters 51[55]:20 [A.D. 253]).

Cyril of Jerusalem

Then we make mention also of those who have already fallen asleep: first, the patriarchs, prophets, apostles, and martyrs, that through their prayers and supplications God would receive our petition, next, we make mention also of the holy fathers and bishops who have already fallen asleep, and, to put it simply, of all among us who have already fallen asleep. For We believe that it will be of very great benefit to the souls of those for whom the petition is carried up, while this holy and most solemn sacrifice is laid out (Catechetical Lectures 23:5:9 [A.D. 350]).

John Chrysostom

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice [Job l:5), why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them (Homilies on First Corinthians 41:5 (A.D. 392)).

Not in vain was it decreed by the apostles that in the awesome mysteries remembrance should be made of the departed. They knew that here there was much gain for them, much benefit. When the entire people stands with hands uplifted, a priestly assembly, and that awesome sacrificial victim is laid out, how, when we are calling upon God, should we not succeed in their defense? But this is done for those who have departed in the faith, while even the catechumens are not reckoned .is worthy of this consolation, but are deprived of every means of assistance except one. And what is that? We may give alms to the poor on their behalf (Homilies on Philippians 3:9-10 [A.D. 402]).

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
1 Cor 10
15I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. 16Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?

1 Cor 11
27So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Hebrews 10:29
How much more severely do you think one deserves to be punished who has trampled on the Son of God, profaned the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

None of those verses say that Christ is offered physically over and over again during Communion.

Upvote 0