daniel0809

Jun 27, 2013
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I have a brief question regarding the usefulness of a Catholic education if one desires to be a part of the Orthodox Church. I am studying at a Catholic University in Steubenville, Ohio, getting my M.A. in Theology. However I am slowly realizing that the Orthodox Church would be a more appropriate place for me since I do not believe in the Pope and since Orthodoxy is more closely connected historically to the early church, which was founded in the East (Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, Jerusalem, etc) as opposed to Rome. I just started the M.A. program and am wondering if I should even continue with a Catholic education if I desire to join the Orthodox Church. I am originally a Protestant. I really thought I wanted to be Catholic but Orthodoxy just appeals to me more if I am going to join a liturgical and historic Church.

Is there any use for a Catholic education if one ends up abandoning the Catholic church in favor of Orthodoxy? There is an Orthodox community here in Steubenville and I have reached out to a priest regarding my situation.

Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It depends. (I'm a former RC) In some ways it will be helpful, in some ways, not so much. I would say more helpful than not compared to coming to straight from a Protestant background.

How it would be helpful:

Acceptance of Mary as the Mother of God and along with that, the intercessions of the saints

Acceptance of salvation as being a process rather than a one time event

Acceptance of the authority of the Church and holy tradition

Much less revulsion towards the veneration of the saints and relics

How it may not be helpful:

Heavy emphasis on scholasticism, rationalism

Heavy emphasis on a juridical approach to salvation and the Christian life (as an example, the current pope recently declared that priest can forgive woman who have abortion. As an Orthodox, that sounded strange to my ears. First of all, God forgives, not the priest...)

No matter what, you have to take Orthodoxy on its own terms. Don't try to force it through a RC or Protestant sieve. The end result won't be Orthodoxy anymore.

Reactions: tealight
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟119,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I know several Orthodox people who have received or are receiving degrees from Catholic institutions. There is some utility to it, though it depends on the school and the program of study. Not all theology degrees are the same. What are your plans for using your theology degree?

Upvote 0

daniel0809

Jun 27, 2013
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I see the utility of a Catholic education as at least more useful than a Protestant education if one wants to be Orthodox. Thanks. I desire to teach with this degree and also evangelize and do missions work. Since I am also learning original languages and exegesis I also have an interest in Bible translation. Those are my main goals with this degree. I may require more education since this is an M.A. and not an M.Div or Th.M.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,472,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bp Michael of NY got his PhD from a Catholic University, and there were so many people who converted from Oral Roberts, that ORU for a while was called the St Vladimir's of the South.

get in with your closest Orthodox Church and you will be fine. the Church will check any errors in your education.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟119,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know how well-regarded the MA in theology program at your school is and whether there's enough "Eastern" stuff around to make it the most useful, but you're definitely learning a lot of important stuff that would "transfer" to Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The others are more knowledgeable as far as your question, but I did want to say, Welcome to CF, and welcome to TAW!

And welcome home to Orthodoxy! :)

I went through catechesis with a young man who had been Catholic and was well-versed in their education. He and Father could often have conversations that the rest of us wouldn't have known to bring up, and he of course had many fewer questions than the rest of us. For him, it was mostly a matter of concentrating on the differences - which he pretty much already had most of the theological differences sorted out, and needed only to learn such things as Liturgical practices, the process for canonization, learning the post-schism Eastern saints, and those kinds of things. I would say he found his education valuable.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟138,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW! :wave:

Where's Macarius when you need him? Oh yeah, working on another degree at Notre Dame!

Fr. John Garvey (memory eternal), was a retired priest back home, received a degree or two from Catholic universities and wrote regularly for a Catholic online newsletter both before and after his conversion to Orthodoxy up until his death.
A retired chaplain I met received his original degree from a Catholic university in Belgium. Once in a while he has to go back to defend the thesis.

There's nothing wrong with it in and of itself. I mean heck, one could probably become quite eloquent in theological English. I was raised in a Catholic school until the eighth grade and would not trade it for anything. I learned from it piety, reverence, a respect for the privacy of the faith of others, as well as a deep appreciation for tradition. The Lord has many ways of calling people home and sometimes it is through a Roman Catholic education.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,472,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Church will check any errors in your education."

Hahahaha! If you're lucky!

um, it will. pastors might not, but the Church will. the Liturgy speaks for itself if we listen.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daniel0809

Jun 27, 2013
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you E.C., Kylissa, ArmyMatt, gzt, GregConstantine for your replies. I was sick over the weekend and could not log in.

I attended Divine Liturgy yesterday here (I've been before) in addition to Catholic Mass and I find the Liturgy so much more mystical and attractive than the Mass, though I respect Catholicism greatly. I am praying over whether to stay here at the Franciscan University or transfer to a place like St. Vladimir's for an M.A. In theological studies. Or, the wiser thing would probably be to wait until I become Orthodox and then enter the M.A. Program. I have so much to learn! Thanks

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,472,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am praying over whether to stay here at the Franciscan University or transfer to a place like St. Vladimir's for an M.A. In theological studies. Or, the wiser thing would probably be to wait until I become Orthodox and then enter the M.A. Program.

I would say become Orthodox first, even if that means you continue your education at your current University. when you are done, talk to your priest and see if you could to other Orthodox education (there are more options than an MA from St Vlad's, especially depending on your interests).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,472,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matt, I'm trying to contact you through PM, but I don't know if this site has that. I just wanted to know what you mean by "more options". Thanks for the advice.

Holy Cross Seminary, the Antiochian House of Studies, etc

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟119,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's probably best to go through your current program. Frankly, I'm not sure why anybody would go to one of the Orthodox seminaries for something other than an MDiv or perhaps a program in liturgical music, they aren't exactly academic powerhouses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,472,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I'm not sure why anybody would go to one of the Orthodox seminaries for something other than an MDiv or perhaps a program in liturgical music, they aren't exactly academic powerhouses.

or a Master of Theology degree, where you have to read enough of one of the classic languages of the Church in your thesis (Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Arabic, or Slavonic).

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My recommendation to you is to complete your academic year at Franciscan of Steubenville. That will give you time and breathing space to determine your path. The first year(s) of a Catholic program should have much transferability to an Orthodox school. There is also an Eastern Catholic seminary in Pittsburgh, which kind of splits the difference between your current program and attending St. Vladimir, St. Tikhon's, Christ the Saviour, etc. No one has mentioned this yet, but an admissions requirement for the Orthodox seminaries is sponsorship from a bishop.

Upvote 0