Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you do when you can't please your parents? I live with them and haven't been able to move out yet due to disability and a bad financial situation. I do my best but can't really please them.
In what way? What do they expect of you?

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟453,965.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't worry if they are not pleased. I believe God is pleased with you. Know that He is watching everything that's happening to you and I pray that He will deliver you from this situation.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why aim to please anyone but God?

Peradventure Proverbs 16:7 will be the case. Nevertheless, Jesus words will ring true. (Matthew 10:34-36)
But deliverance will come one way or another if you stay faithful and patient.

Reactions: Jamie Chen
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you do when you can't please your parents? I live with them and haven't been able to move out yet due to disability and a bad financial situation. I do my best but can't really please them.

All you can do is talk with them and establish just what it is they want of you?

If it is for you to be married, with a successful career, grandchildren that they can grab about then you will never satisfy them.

Talk and sort out what they want, if it's is more help around the house etc, again talk about what you can do.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,916.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is very little you can do except pray for a way out our a change of heart.

That's something I really have to do more often. At times I haven't done so because I've been so discouraged!!!! But God is able to work in any circumstance and prayer is key.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,916.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In what way? What do they expect of you?

What I do is never enough. If there's something that I've done around the house to tidy up, what is noticed what ISN'T done rather than what has been done. I'm considered a failure because I don't make a lot of money in my profession - though I've struggled immensely just with being able to be well and to work because of disability. They're also disappointed in me because I still live at home - though that is also tied to me having the disability. :(

So basically what Tolworth John says here:

All you can do is talk with them and establish just what it is they want of you?

If it is for you to be married, with a successful career, grandchildren that they can grab about then you will never satisfy them.

Talk and sort out what they want, if it's is more help around the house etc, again talk about what you can do.

Talking hasn't really helped at all. Arguments at times erupt and I like to avoid arguments.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,916.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry if they are not pleased. I believe God is pleased with you. Know that He is watching everything that's happening to you and I pray that He will deliver you from this situation.

Thank you for the prayers, I appreciate it, God bless you.

It is more important, in my opinion although, to be proud of yourself. Most importantly though, I am positive God is proud of you and is shining his light on you. Keep your head up :purpleheart:

Thank you :)

Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,916.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why aim to please anyone but God?

Peradventure Proverbs 16:7 will be the case. Nevertheless, Jesus words will ring true. (Matthew 10:34-36)
But deliverance will come one way or another if you stay faithful and patient.

You are right, I must please God first. I just want to be able to honor my parents as the Word of God says. It's difficult to honor my parents at times because they can be unkind so I try to avoid the unkindness in many ways. It's detrimental to having a good relationship. But I am trying to put into practice what the Lord says about loving my enemies. That has helped to improve the relationship and I want the relationship to be good to glorify God. Thank you so much for the encouragement I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I do is never enough. If there's something that I've done around the house to tidy up, what is noticed what ISN'T done rather than what has been done. I'm considered a failure because I don't make a lot of money in my profession - though I've struggled immensely just with being able to be well and to work because of disability. They're also disappointed in me because I still live at home - though that is also tied to me having the disability. :(

Well it’s hard to give advice with so few details but you and your parents have my prayers.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Commendable that you want to honor your parents.

If you have never been responsible for a home, it is difficult to realize all that goes into it. Try to give yourself a reality check. Take note of what you are doing, how long it takes you and how complete you are doing what is asks of you. Compare tasks others do, the length of time it takes them and how well the assignments are accomplished. If they asks you to clean the kitchen floor, do you sweep the most traffic areas or do you remove the rugs, etc and really sweep every inch? Do you dislike being told? Then asks for a list. It would help you see what they expect and the timeframe they have in mind. Also, if you spend time on your phone while doing a task, it may look 30 min to do but just a 5-10 min chore.

Also, our goal was to educate our sons before they left home. They knew how to plan meals, purchase food, cook, budgeting, etc. What about taking initiative without having to be told? That shows maturity.

Not saying that too much is expected of you or not - just trying to help you see more sides to the situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to be able to honor my parents as the Word of God says. It's difficult to honor my parents at times because they can be unkind so I try to avoid the unkindness in many ways.

We have been taught much ideas which come from humans way of seeing it. Not everything taught in psycology lines up with what is written in God's Word, actually, a lot of it encourages us to do what God warned us not to do.

I do think it is great you want to focus on the part of loving your enemies. Unkindness is something which cannot be avoided in this world, and many will measure up their kindness with how they are treated from others. But when we look at the part of loving our enemies, this isn't a common way of thinking for those who aren't saved.

When you can look at your parents through Jesus's eyes, then there have come much change upon you. As He is changing you more to look at them with love and tenderness, forgiving them as God has forgiven you through Christ.

When we cannot honour our parents, we have a rebellion within us. We easily bring ourselves down into selfpity, and then focus on all the hurt and anger we have build up inside of us. This will also easily bring us into pride, which again, will lead us into more rebellion against our parents. Also creating unforgiveness, which when you have this, healing as well as being set free in Christ Jesus gets hindered.

Look into what God's Word says, also asking anyone who has the right theology of the bible to possibly teach you sound doctrine, and pray to God to show you what needs to be worked on in you, what changes needs to be done in your heart.

I mean this well. It is easy to look at one's self as the one without any fault. Many may offend us, hurt us, be unkind to us... but we are not meant to be like those who are in the world, but being more like Christ is.

Upvote 0

Sponge42

Feb 29, 2020
Central
✟15,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why do you think you cannot please your parents? Is there something that you desire to do or they want you to do? Parents are so special to us as children, however, it can be hard to live with them at times because they may not see you as an adult. I think the best and only thing you can do is do your best to get on your feet, respect your parents by helping around the house proactively, supporting them financially ( even if it is a little), try to listen to what they have to say ( may be able to provide wisdom) have a spirit of gratitude and love, and just be optimist things will get better. I pray that everything works out in your favor.

Upvote 0