United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic World News - January 15, 2015

In a surprise announcement, Pope Francis has disclosed that he plans to preside at the canonization of Blessed Junipero Serra this year.

Speaking to reporters who accompanied him on a flight from Sri Lanka to the Philippines on January 15, the Pontiff said: "In September, God willing, I will canonize Junipero Serra in the United States."

The Pontiff is scheduled to travel to the US in September, to attend the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia. The details of the papal trip, including the other stops that he might make, have not been settled.

Blessed Junipero Serra, a Spanish Franciscan, established a string of missions along the California coast. He is the leading figure in the evangelization of California during the 18th century.
Pope Francis to canonize evangelizer of the Wild West (CNA)

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Canonization of Junipero Serra?

As one who is catholic (note the small c), I question this move. After all, history shows that he resorted to the lash and other forms of torment in order to convert Native Americans. Many died and many others enriched by the stealing of lands under his watch. His actions were no less malevolent than the actions of antichrist Osama bin Laden. A Google search will show links to many proofs of this comment.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,303,013.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps it might have been more charitable to say that you really did not agree with this .

Wiki doesn't 100% agree with your understanding either http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun%C3%ADpero_Serra

You are in our home forum and are posting here as a guest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Canonization of Junipero Serra?

As one who is catholic (note the small c), I question this move. After all, history shows that he resorted to the lash and other forms of torment in order to convert Native Americans. Many died and many others enriched by the stealing of lands under his watch. His actions were no less malevolent than the actions of antichrist Osama bin Laden. A Google search will show links to many proofs of this comment.

History shows nothing of the sort. Those who were tortured were those by the Conquistadores. Serra was the advocate of the Natives. Google isn't your friend, here. The Catholic Church never forced conversions.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
History shows nothing of the sort. Those who were tortured were those by the Conquistadores. Serra was the advocate of the Natives. Google isn't your friend, here. The Catholic Church never forced conversions.

Historian Cecil Roth (England's foremost authority on the Inquisition) would readily disagree as would most historians.

The strenuous work regime and high population density within the missions themselves also caused high death rates among the mission Indians. By law, all baptized Indians subjected themselves completely to the authority of the Franciscans; they could be whipped, shackled or imprisoned for disobedience, and hunted down if they fled the mission grounds. Indian recruits, who were often forced to convert nearly at gunpoint, could be expected to survive mission life for only about ten years. As one Friar noted, the Indians "live well free but as soon as we reduce them to a Christian and community life... they fatten, sicken, and die."

PBS - THE WEST - Junipero Serra

As with Bartolome de las Casas, there are enough proofs from Catholic clergy which confirm historical accounts of atrocities and other depredations imposed upon Native Americans. Therefore, not my opinion but historical fact from first hand accounts.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Historian Cecil Roth (England's foremost authority on the Inquisition) would readily disagree as would most historians.

The strenuous work regime and high population density within the missions themselves also caused high death rates among the mission Indians. By law, all baptized Indians subjected themselves completely to the authority of the Franciscans; they could be whipped, shackled or imprisoned for disobedience, and hunted down if they fled the mission grounds. Indian recruits, who were often forced to convert nearly at gunpoint, could be expected to survive mission life for only about ten years. As one Friar noted, the Indians "live well free but as soon as we reduce them to a Christian and community life... they fatten, sicken, and die."

PBS - THE WEST - Junipero Serra

As with Bartolome de las Casas, there are enough proofs from Catholic clergy which confirm historical accounts of atrocities and other depredations imposed upon Native Americans. Therefore, not my opinion but historical fact from first hand accounts.

Your source is questionable. The Church almost never subjected humans to such actions, they almost always left that to the state. I'm not saying that there weren't clergy who overstepped their authority, but Serra wasn't one of them. Franciscans didn't wield weapons.

From the Wiki article on Serra: Serra's own views are documented. In 1780, Serra wrote: "that spiritual fathers should punish their sons, the Indians, with blows appears to be as old as the conquest of the Americas; so general in fact that the saints do not seem to be any exception to the rule." Serra pushed for a system of laws to protect natives from some abuses by Spanish soldiers, whose practices were in conflict with his...
Mark A. Noll, a professor at the religious Wheaton College in Illinois, has noted that this reflected an attitude, common at the time, that missionaries could, and should, treat their wards like children, including the use of corporal punishment.
Iris Engstrand, professor and chair of the Department of History at the University of San Diego, described him as

much nicer to the Indians, really, than even to the governors. He didn't get along too well with some of the military people, you know. His attitude was, 'Stay away from the Indians'. I think you really come up with a benevolent, hard-working person who was strict in a lot of his doctrinal leanings and things like that, but not a person who was enslaving Indians, or beating them, ever....He was a very caring person and forgiving. Even after the burning of the mission in San Diego, he did not want those Indians punished. He wanted to be sure that they were treated fairly...

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,303,013.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
HonestTruth

I like your handle :)

Rather than just disappear without giving us your evidence - and it may have merit - after all until it's seen we cannot make up our own minds about the veracity or otherwise of it.

Would you please give us links so we can read this evidence ourselves ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The truth is that the Church never sanctioned torture, never condoned mistreatment of human beings, and always was concerned with human dignity.

The Spanish conquistadores worked for the crown. The Franciscans who went with them were there for the spiritual well-being of the conquistadors, to provide them with sacraments, and so on. They also went to spread the gospel once they got there. They treated the natives like sons and daughters. Did this sometimes include chastisement and punishment? Yes, that's what parents do to guide their children, sometimes. Did it go past what's acceptable for the time? Yes it probably did. Did Junipero Serra do anything that the Church in Rome would not sanction? His status as a Blessed tells us that he did not. Also, the consideration to elevate him, by a Latin-origin Holy Father, tells us he did not. I'm sure he will be investigated in the coming months, as is anyone who is elevated to a higher position.

Honest Truth, you haven't provided a link for us to click on and read...

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Google can link you to that book above.

I'm not paying $400 to get it, but so what? There are conflicting opinions on his role in mistreatment of natives. But given his life before he went to California, I would be ready to defend his record in California.

I also understand how different people can see things differently. Junipero Serra was a man. A fallible human. I know he made mistakes. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be canonized.

When you look at who he evangelized, and understand the time, you can look back and ask if the natives were better off as they were before, or as they were after. Serra taught them to farm and provided education. To look back at the time through 21st century eyes is to do a disservice to Serra.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not paying $400 to get it, but so what? There are conflicting opinions on his role in mistreatment of natives. But given his life before he went to California, I would be ready to defend his record in California.

I also understand how different people can see things differently. Junipero Serra was a man. A fallible human. I know he made mistakes. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be canonized.

When you look at who he evangelized, and understand the time, you can look back and ask if the natives were better off as they were before, or as they were after. Serra taught them to farm and provided education. To look back at the time through 21st century eyes is to do a disservice to Serra.

If that is your opinion, then so be it. Too bad so many of the Native American advocates in that region don't feel that way. But it remains a free country where we are all free to believe as we wish.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've now read multiple letters written by Serra, and so far they show a man trying to stand against the brutish Spanish Army, not an abusive priest. I apologize for my earlier jumping to conclusions.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've now read multiple letters written by Serra, and so far they show a man trying to stand against the brutish Spanish Army, not an abusive priest. I apologize for my earlier jumping to conclusions.

What specifically did you read? I would like to look into them as well.

Upvote 0