Vatican Doctrine Office: Transgender-Identifying People Can Be Baptized, Witness Marriages

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The dicastery’s response is dated Oct. 31 and signed by DDF Prefect Cardinal Victor Fernández and Pope Francis.

The Vatican’s doctrine office has said an adult who identifies as transgender can receive the sacrament of baptism under the same conditions as any adult, as long as there is no risk of causing scandal or confusion to other Catholics.

The Vatican also said that children or adolescents experiencing transgender identity issues may also receive baptism “if well prepared and willing.”

The document answering these and other sacrament-based questions for those who identify as transgender and people in same-sex relationships was generated in response to questions posed to the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith (DDF) in July by Bishop Giuseppe (José) Negri of Santo Amaro in Brazil. The guidance comes amid ongoing discussions within the Catholic Church about pastoral care for the LGBTQ community in light of Francis’ focus on accompaniment and synodality.

The dicastery’s response is dated Oct. 31 and signed by DDF Prefect Cardinal Victor Fernández and Pope Francis. It is available on the Vatican website in Italian.

The Vatican also responded to questions about whether transgender-identifying people or those in homosexual relationships can be godparents or witness a marriage, and whether children adopted or born through assisted reproduction to same-sex couples can be baptized.

To the last question, the DDF cited paragraph 868 of the Code of Canon law, and said “for the child to be baptized there must be a well-founded hope that he or she will be educated in the Catholic religion.”

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The dicastery’s response is dated Oct. 31 and signed by DDF Prefect Cardinal Victor Fernández and Pope Francis.

The Vatican’s doctrine office has said an adult who identifies as transgender can receive the sacrament of baptism under the same conditions as any adult, as long as there is no risk of causing scandal or confusion to other Catholics.

The Vatican also said that children or adolescents experiencing transgender identity issues may also receive baptism “if well prepared and willing.”

The document answering these and other sacrament-based questions for those who identify as transgender and people in same-sex relationships was generated in response to questions posed to the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith (DDF) in July by Bishop Giuseppe (José) Negri of Santo Amaro in Brazil. The guidance comes amid ongoing discussions within the Catholic Church about pastoral care for the LGBTQ community in light of Francis’ focus on accompaniment and synodality.

The dicastery’s response is dated Oct. 31 and signed by DDF Prefect Cardinal Victor Fernández and Pope Francis. It is available on the Vatican website in Italian.

The Vatican also responded to questions about whether transgender-identifying people or those in homosexual relationships can be godparents or witness a marriage, and whether children adopted or born through assisted reproduction to same-sex couples can be baptized.

To the last question, the DDF cited paragraph 868 of the Code of Canon law, and said “for the child to be baptized there must be a well-founded hope that he or she will be educated in the Catholic religion.”

Continued below.
I don't get it. Someone who has a chromosomal anomaly, then fine. Someone who thought he was a she and got mutilated and then thought better, then fine. But somebody still claiming to be wrapped up in such a strong delusion, unless he is trying to escape it, I can't see that at all. Because it causes the very thing they say they don't want, scandal and confusion. What is the scenario that this makes sense?

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the article:

"It went on to explain that the Catholic Church teaches that baptism received without repentance for grave sins, while it gives an indelible sacramental character, does not bestow sanctifying grace.

The Vatican quoted the Catechism of the Catholic Church, St. Thomas Aquinas, and St. Augustine of Hippo to explain that once a person has the right disposition, that is, has repented of any grave sins, the sacramental character of baptism “is an immediate cause which disposes one to receive grace."

So, the sacrament isn't given for mere asking, but the recipient must meet conditions as stated above.

• Winner
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, the sacrament isn't given for mere asking, but the recipient must meet conditions as stated above.
Or unless they happen to live in Germany.

Where, as Cole Porter once said, "anything goes". :(

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Vatican’s doctrine office has responded to a bishop’s questions concerning the role of people who identify as LGBT at Catholic baptisms and weddings.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can imagine a case where a young person was influenced to transition and received surgery and drugs in order to do so.
Then, regretting the decision, decide to transition back to their biological reality and also repent and seek
full union within the Church. The Church of course calls for pastoral guidance for the person and allows
for such a person to receive the sacraments and even be a sponsor or witness in a sacramental marriage.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I can imagine a case where a young person was influenced to transition and received surgery and drugs in order to do so.
Then, regretting the decision, decide to transition back to their biological reality and also repent and seek
full union within the Church. The Church of course calls for pastoral guidance for the person and allows
for such a person to receive the sacraments and even be a sponsor or witness in a sacramental marriage.
I HOPE that is what the Vatican is thinking these days. But I’m really not sure what they think any more.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's how I read the article.
I concede that it is one way of reading the article. But it doesn't exactly say that in the literal sense. It seems to leave it wide open, or you could read it that it has left things wide open to someone who wants to show up in full drag and be the baptismal sponsor. Or to witness the wedding. I want to say 'of course they intend to exclude that' but I don't see how the words actually exclude that. They are muddy. I wonder how intentionally muddy they are.

I want there to be a hermeneutic of continuity. For me that is the only sensible way, changes as needed in continuity with the past. But I don't think the Vatican always sees it that way. Seems they want a hermeneutic of rupture instead. Some of them even say so, like cardinal Hollerich.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly! I think this is the case with most "transgenders" these days. I weep for their future :(

Upvote 0