[Canadian] Anglicans to allow same-sex marriage after vote recount.

CanadianAnglican

Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic
May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
In a normal synod vote you cannot abstain. It is a matter of doctrine, and either you support a change or you do not. In the run-up to the General Synod, the Council of the General Synod (the standing body of the Anglican Church of Canada that is in charge of the national offices and leadership of the Church, etc) said that their plan was for a completely procedurally clear process, all above board, because as I have mentioned previously, the Anglican Church of Canada has had a history of using procedural manipulation to pass contentious proposals at General Synod that have led to decades of dispute and acrimony (my rector was a clergy delegate at the synod that approved same-sex marriage, and there are similar but lesser concerns in the process of liturgical reform that led to the Book of Alternative Services which my current rector also participated in).

In February, the House of Bishops announced that they did not have the requisite 2/3 majority and that the measure was not likely to pass. No bishops changed their minds, however the first full day of Synod (this past week, months after the bishops announced that the measure would not pass in their house) the Synod voted to change the voting procedure. One bishop, one clergy and one lay delegate abstained from the vote as a result of that. Had they not abstained from the vote, it would have failed in two houses. That is how close the vote was.

Because of the procedural change at the last minute, and because of the obvious desire of the leadership (primate, Chancellor, COGS, etc) to pass the motion, there is a strong sense that again the vote was rigged (in the 70s the vote was held when people were out of the room who would have opposed it and other measures were put in place to limit debate and input, etc). Similarly, on the first day of the synod, the Chancellor announced that it was his determination that Canada's marriage canon did not in fact prohibit same-sex marriage, despite the fact that it limited the sacrament of matrimony to one man and one woman (explicitly). He argued that it did not prohibit a diocese from expanding beyond that definition. Again this was seen as an underhanded way of permitting those who wished to do so to proceed with same-sex marriage regardless of whether or not Synod approved the measure (which is in fact exactly what happened when the bishops of Ottawa, Niagra, New Westminster, etc announced immediately following the failed vote that they would permit it in their diocese anyway).

Now as a point of clarification and reminder to everyone, the amendment has not yet come into effect. Bishops cited above that have determined to proceed are still planning to begin marrying same-sex couples even though the canon has not yet changed. The same resolution must be passed again at the next general synod in 2019 by a 2/2 majority in all three orders again. Once that happens it will come into effect in January 2020. Despite this, people are ignoring that. People are ignoring the resolution passed calling on the church to engage with the report of the marriage canon which was disregarded during the debates in favour of making the arguments from emotion and experience that the change was needed because if you didn't you didn't love someone or it ought not to be because of one or two verses. There was no doctrinal debate at all.

As I have referenced, the resolution will amend the marriage canon to adopt civil law (over which the Church has no control) as the means by which the Church affirms people are qualified to enter into holy matrimony. This is the text that was adopted:

Declare that Canon XXI (On Marriage in the Church) applies to all persons who are duly qualified by civil law to enter into marriage.

This is very troubling because it effectively says the Anglican Church of Canada no longer has a doctrine on Marriage. We cannot have a doctrine on marriage because we do not control any longer who we say is qualified to be married. If we do not control who is qualified to be married we cannot claim any unified doctrine. We cannot say in one section that if the law permits it they are qualified, and then in another section say they are not qualified. The Chancellor's own ruling that same-sex marriage was not excluded by virtue of the language of the unamended Canon makes that wholly clear.

If the Parliament of Canada were to pass legislation that said that two people could not be prohibited from marrying by virtue of religious affiliation, the Canons of the Anglican Church of Canada would no longer permit Holy Matrimony from being restricted to couples where at least one member is a baptised Christian.

The conscience clause, which Bishop Steven Andrews required to be added back in 2013, was also amended out at the start of the debate by the bishop of Toronto (one of the bishops who intimated that he would permit same-sex marriages in the diocese after the supposed no vote, and has since said he is still considering letting it go forward despite the fact that the canon will not change for three years).

Ultimately the state of marriage in the Anglican Church of Canada is that there are no longer any coherent purposes for why marriage is to be permitted. Each bishop may not permit or restrict marriage as they see fit, and ultimately each priest may similar decide whether or not they wish to marry any couple for any reason. There is no consistency, and our polity has been negatively impacted for that.

Everyone is so caught up in the negative emotions of the synod that no one is particularly engaging in any kind of discussion on what the implications of all of this are going forward, and how it might impact future decisions. Other decisions at synod were also overshadowed. Because the debate went on so long, taking up several extra hours on Monday night and then adding several hours worth of procedural debate Tuesday morning, the liturgical revisions were passed largely without debate authorizing a new psalter and morning and evening prayer which were heavily criticised when they were first published. The author's had originally sought to remove the creeds and replace them with non-traditional affirmations of faith.

The only good thing that happened there was a motion to amend the BCP to de-authorize the use of a prayer in it was defeated, something the Prayer Book Society had been advocating for (it was an amendment to remove a prayer for Jews to recognize Christ as their messiah).

Finally a report (Iona Report) on the vocational diaconate was received without debate. The report basically calls for vocational deacons to become social workers and social activists with a particular emphasis on indigenous affairs, and moves them away from traditional roles in terms of pastoral care and visits to shut-ins for the distribution of the sacrament.

Again that process was very frustrating because there was no debate, and it allows the few people involved in the faith and worship comittee to direct significantly influential matters within the church (the psalter that was approved was entirely written and composed by a single priest with no broader consultation, and the the rationale for the new liturgies that were approved were very explicitly failing to address the concerns raised for why they were commissioned... Essentially the claim was made that the BCP and BAS liturgies were difficult to use because you had to flip around in the books so much, but the rationale for the new liturgies was that the BCP and BAS language was insufficiently inclusive, so efforts were made to create new liturgies that no longer refer to God in the masculine gender or as Lord, and some other similar changes were made).

Overall the one big result for me, having had to sit through this and now having had an opportunity to pray over it a few times, is to emphasize how entirely unsuited the parliamentary synod system is for doctrinal decisions, and how utterly dangerous it is to allow such a small group to have absolute control over these liturgical revisions (two people for all of the liturgies that were approved, and a panel of five people for the Iona Report on the diaconate). It actually makes me yearn for a teaching magisterium like Rome has, if not for the fact that our bishops displayed no more tact or grace than most of the other delegates (kudos to Bp. Fraser Lawton of Athabasca as a notable exception).

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like a mess, and you have my sympathies.

It also sounds as if the Anglican Church of Canada does have a doctrine of marriage which I've heard put forward elsewhere, and that is that marriage is, by definition, a legal matter and therefore under the purview of the government rather than the church. (You can argue with that plenty, of course, but it is a doctrine of marriage). But I can see why basically saying the church will solemnise any marriage the government declares to be legal can cause all kinds of problems!

I do think the right to abstain from a vote is really important. I'm very grateful we have it.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a burning question that I was discussing with my wife on the way home from church this week.

My question is why aren't the liberals ever ahead of the curve on these things? If SSM is a beautiful God-ordained thing, then why didn't they say so 100 years ago? The same goes for the ordination of woman. If it's been in their Bibles for 1,500 years, why wait to tell the rest of us? They seem to find these things out only after the culture shifts, some how. Which makes it look an awful lot like the tail waging the dog.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

There are many things to consider.

In religious communities like churches, when something comes to the group's attention, time is needed to assess the matter. For most Anglicans/Episcopalians, this means weighing Scripture, tradition, reason/experience. This means many conversations not just locally, but at the highest levels of leadership - denomination wide conversations (that often only happen every so many years at a general convention or something similar). This means perhaps voting on measures after the conversation has been exhausted to the next steps, such as to appoint appropriate members to thoroughly research & study the matter just discussed. This means months, years of time. Then, still more years before the research findings can be presented & evaluated. Then, still more time to decide what to do about what's been discovered. It may mean baby steps in a direction, such as the very slow movement over many years for the Episcopal Church to become inclusive to LGBT people - or it could mean fast sweeping movement.

Beyond the research, there are pastoral concerns on many levels that don't need to be considered in the secular realm. Local dioceses & individual congregations need to talk & be heard by the clergy. Sometimes there will be disagreement over proposed changes in a church - so how do we still minister to those people? How practically will proposed changes affect individuals?

Ultimately, it just takes time to work out faith in a community setting. When a contemporary issue comes to our attention, we have to decide as a group what we're going to do about it. The Bible was used to support slavery in the US - now, no church that I'm aware of does. Most churches today don't object to marrying interracial couples, though a few fringe groups still do. Time & again, matters come to the church's attention, & we must decide how to respond. Sometimes unfortunately all parties involved lack charity - that's never how it should be, but alas we are all human.

At the end of the day, I believe in a church that welcomes all in love & peace.

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic
May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The Anglican Church of Canada used to have a doctrine expressed in the rites for Holy Matrimony, and in the preamble to the Marriage Canon. Those all remain, but now there is a disconnection between those explanations and what is actually permitted. You cannot claim to say "God ordains the estate of Holy Matrimony for these purposes, therefore we will extend Holy Matrimony to all those persons the Parliament of Canada deems legally fit to receive civil marriage." There is a disconnect between Matrimony as a holy estate and marriage as a civil institution/estate/condition.

You cannot on the one hand say that the Church permits anyone deemed by the state to be married receive God's blessing by the Church, and then on the other hand insert a bit "but" (which the Church hasn't actually done). Instead it's basically being left up to the discretion of individual ministers, which again goes against Anglican polity.

Upvote 0

RaylightI

Jun 29, 2014
✟3,622.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a burning question that I was discussing with my wife on the way home from church this week.

My question is why aren't the liberals ever ahead of the curve on these things? If SSM is a beautiful God-ordained thing, then why didn't they say so 100 years ago? The same goes for the ordination of woman. If it's been in their Bibles for 1,500 years, why wait to tell the rest of us? They seem to find these things out only after the culture shifts, some how. Which makes it look an awful lot like the tail waging the dog.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

I'm not Anglican, I'm actually ex-Anglican, but I think I'm allowed to express my views in general.

As to your question, Liberals in general (not just Anglicans, but also Catholics) I believe tend to follow the society. I'm sure some of them don't, but a great number actually do want to follow the bandwagon of today. No matter what their leaders say, it is as clear as the sun, that they do what they do following the philosophy of this age. Which explains why the majority of liberals in every church believe that the Scriptures are not the Word of God, but rather, just human made books. Otherwise, they will have to explain why they stand for whatever they stand for, which majority of them don't find any support whatsoever in the Holy Scriptures nor the Apostolic Tradition. That doesn't mean Conservatives are innocent, some of them too commit the same crime, example of that would be the issue of race during the mid of the 20th century. However, conservatives are not as guilty as liberals.

Reactions: kakieanne
Upvote 0