✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Proverb 17:9 GNT

If you want people to like you, forgive them when they wrong you. Remembering wrongs can break up a friendship.

Proverbs 17:9 NLT

Love prospers when a fault is forgiven,
but dwelling on it separates close friends.

Proverb 17:9 NIV

Whoever would foster love covers over an offense,
but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

Proverb 17:9 ERV

Forgive someone, and you will strengthen your friendship. Keep reminding them, and you will destroy it.

I think I told my church friend about leaving me in the hotel room by myself after I was struggling to get the right words to come out of my mouth and she didn't even say sorry or nothin. I feel like she doesn't seem to care what she did wrong.

after I told her that, she just blocked me on facebook. She didn't say anything about it.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends. (KJV)

Proverbs 17:9 (NASB) He who conceals a transgression seeks love, But he who repeats a matter separates intimate friends.

Not sure about the paraphrase you are using, but in it's actual translated form it is pretty obvious what it is saying.

Upvote 0

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends. (KJV)

Proverbs 17:9 (NASB) He who conceals a transgression seeks love, But he who repeats a matter separates intimate friends.

Not sure about the paraphrase you are using, but in it's actual translated form it is pretty obvious what it is saying.
i didn't know what telling them what they did to me would break a friendship

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If you want people to like you, forgive them when they wrong you. Remembering wrongs can break up a friendship.

Forgive someone, and you will strengthen your friendship. Keep reminding them, and you will destroy it.

I think I told my church friend about leaving me in the hotel room by myself after I was struggling to get the right words to come out of my mouth and she didn't even say sorry or nothin. I feel like she doesn't seem to care what she did wrong.

after I told her that, she just blocked me on facebook. She didn't say anything about it.

The passages say that if you focus on what other people do wrong, you ruin your relationships. We are called to "absorb" at least 777 wrongs by other people. Per person. And forgive each instance of the 777 wrongs.

Reactions: Lanae
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"I feel like she doesn't seem to care what she did wrong."

Perhaps not ... but forgive her anyway (even though she does not ask for it) ... otherwise you will carry the burden and it's not yours to carry.

Perhaps sometime in the future you will have an opportunity to resolve the misunderstanding ... in the meantime forgive and put it behind you.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
They that cover a sin, keeping gossip from spreading, exercise love; but they who repeat a matter, referring to certain sins over and over, causing people to point scorn's finger at the sinner, separates friends, for suspicion destroys friendship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Forget the proverb for a minute, dwelling on things like that, for longer than say like, two seconds, is only going to make you miserable and leave you without any friends and end up cold, lonely, and all alone in the end...

You have to get control of your emotions, and not them control you... do not instantly act or react to every single feeling, hurt, or offense you may have or feel, I just told you what the consequences would be for that, or not doing that...

First "think" first, and think it through, without a lot of emotion involved... And, speak logically and reasonably and, for the most part, free from emotions or emotional considerations, "if" you feel like you "absolutely must say something" due to a matter of principle or something... and/because if you cannot do that, then don't do it at all... but/and/because you may still lose some people, but you'll have a lot, "A LOT" more "peace" about it if you know you did it "right" and always handled it in the best way you possibly could, or knew how...

And if people still want to go after you have done all of that, then just let them go, but for your own sake make sure to forgive them in your heart though, or however...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The passages say that if you focus on what other people do wrong, you ruin your relationships. We are called to "absorb" at least 777 wrongs by other people. Per person. And forgive each instance of the 777 wrongs.
Actually it's 70 times 7 times, which is the number 490, which is a very important prophetic number also (490 years of silence/exile or whatever) (till Christ came or showed up on the scene) (the first time, ect)... (every 49 years in Israel the 50th year being a "jubilee" year, ect) (what would happen in a jubilee year, ect)...

But the number or number of times is not important, (other than that numbers prophetic implications/meaning), cause the point is to always be as forgiving and loving as you possibly can...

God Bless!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You can pray about what God wants. This is what I need to do; I am doing what you need to do, I would say :)

Do you have Christian friends who are mature and they can see through you so you can't fool them? We need ones who can help us get our own real correction :) And then we can connect in genuine friendships, not only trying to use people for what we want.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can pray about what God wants. This is what I need to do; I am doing what you need to do, I would say :)

Do you have Christian friends who are mature and they can see through you so you can't fool them? We need ones who can help us get our own real correction :) And then we can connect in genuine friendships, not only trying to use people for what we want.
idk if I have one

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If telling them what they did to you 'broke the friendship' then it sounds more like acquaintances rather than 'friends'.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Well... based on what you just said, I think you lived out what the proverb says. You did not forgive her, and kept bringing it up, and now she has blocked you from facebook.

Love prospers when a fault is forgiven.
Dwelling on it separates close friends.

You just lived out that proverb in real life.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have Christian friends who are mature and they can see through you so you can't fool them?

idk if I have one
Ok . . . so prayer for you to find and appreciate people who help you.

You can listen to a sermon, and whatever the person says it is possible that something in it can help you somehow. I mean especially if a preacher is by the Bible. Of course, in a number of churches they do not go by God's word. Plus, ones can use the Bible to make up rules which aren't God's. So we need to pray and trust Jesus for all He wants with us.

Upvote 0