Can you lose your salvation??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by lambslove
I have known a person who, after having sinned, walked away from Christ, instead of repenting, because she was told that you can sin so bad that God will not take you back. In other words, that you can lose your salvation. Forget the story of the prodigal son, it doesn't apply to real people, I guess.

So when you spout off that you can lose your salvation, there are people who think that means you can't repent and be accepted back.

Is that what you really mean to say?

But what if you go TOO far?- sure Jesus will go after the one lost sheep, but what if that sheep falls down a cliff or a mine shaft and perishes?!
I don't want to believe that I can't come back, but I literally can't until Jesus tells me I can himself- believe me I have tried all I can before this happened a riduculous amount of times and failed- absolutely nothing changed and no hope or assurance from God either.

Upvote 0
Are you saying that you post here under two different names, squelch master?

Is one of them nicer than the other?

Why don't you like the idea of loads of mud?!
I suppose you are a sheep and not a pig (I DO mean in the literal sense of your id -nothing else!), but then I have seen some VERY muddy sheep too in my life!

Oh well at least I haven't lost my sense of humour I guess! It is the only thing other than the friendship of others that keeps me going.

Upvote 0
You aren't currently taking drugs, are you? You kind of seem incoherent at the moment! [/QUOTE

Well yes! -Antidepressants that have done little else but to stabilize my moods!

You asked me the reason for the stupid id name and I gave an honest reply!- I do everything I can to hide my misery from my friends you know! I still smile and have a laugh with people when I can -even if I do feel totally destroyed inside! As I said it is how I cope with it otherwise I would probably have died of a broken heart- people do die of total depression you know!

Anyway I'll think we'll leave the banter there! Otherwise people will start to think that this is some kind of sick wind-up, -which it isn't! I just don't want to bring people who read this down with me!

Upvote 0

Peacebestill

JESUS IS LORD
Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
✟8,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

1 John 5:12
[John 3:15f, 36] He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

Now this is not the proper forum to be confessing gory details, so confess to Him.

Upvote 0

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Originally posted by The Squelch Master
Thanks you are really kind :wave: - lots of people are praying for me though and having been for months- sadly it is not doing any good! :sigh:

Don't worry, all the prayer is working you just can not see it yet! God does work in His time, not ours. He will answer our prayers.

As for if a person can get so away from God as to lose His salvation or God's mercy, I do not think so. I am a continual backslider. I have posted a few threads on that subject with great responses. I agree that after you backslide it is harder and takes longer to win God's favor again. At least it will seem that way sometimes. But, I know He will accept you into the fold again and again. He is a merciful God! I would urge you to be very merciful to others as God gives more mercy to the more merciful(did that make sense?) It is biblical. If you have mercy on others for their wrongdoings toward you, God in turn sees that and gives you the same. Just a thought.

I truly feel that you will be blessed. Did you read my other post to you regarding Satan's attempts on you? You are in a spritual battle right now. Do not fret or worry, just pray. I have been in situations where Satan has come in my dreams and messed with me. I had to call on Jesus to get rid of him. He is a pest! I know it was real even though in a dream. As for Jesus talking to you in a dream, if you didn't feel His magnificense and joy and beauty, then I would wonder if it was Jesus in that dream speaking to you. I don't think so, I feel that Satan came in your dream trying to act like Jesus(false prophet?)in order to further make you doubt God in the hope that you would believe what he says and confused. I don't think Jesus would come to you in any other way but loving chastisement. He loves you.

I believe that God has a wonderful work He needs you to do. Rebuke Satan and he will go away!

Praying for you...

Praise God! :clap:

Upvote 0

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Originally posted by The Squelch Master
You aren't currently taking drugs, are you? You kind of seem incoherent at the moment! [/QUOTE

Well yes! -Antidepressants that have done little else but to stabilize my moods!...

You might want to get off of the anti-depressants, some times they can hurt you worse. They may not be the right kind for you. I had a friend that was Manic-Depressive and when she was put on Paxil, Zoloft and those type of meds, she nearly killed herself. Now she is on Lithium and is better. With meds like that it is a "hit or miss" thing with docs, they tend to make a guinea pig out of you, because everybody's chemistry is different and it is not an exact art. I was on Paxil and doing good for a few months then I was like crazier than before. I decided to get off of all meds and use God as my "anti-depressant" and it actually works! Sometimes the hole in us can ONLY be filled with the Lord!

Praise God! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

It makes me sad that you are so near to the One who can heal your brokenness, yet you won't seek Him.

Honestly, I mean this with all respect- but I have sought and prayed to God, pleaded, begged, sometimes with tears of sorrow til I have been blue in the face and all I get is this cold wall of silence- I know I didn't use to feel so far away from God- I did feel his love and presence in my life ONCE, long ago!
I often wonder now though whther it was all a load of deceit from Satan to trick me into thinking that I was saved when I wasn't- I certainly didn't even think, let alone really try to make any real commitment of repentance until recently- now I wonder whether it is too late- but I honestly did not know- I didn't even understand or know what repentance meant until really this year- before I literally thought and believed all it meant at conversion was turning from an existance without God, to an eternal relationship with him, through asking Jesus to forgive us for all our sins- I didn't realise til recently that giving up sin was what it really meant as well in addition to this and Satan totally blinded me to this and kept me from finding out the truth until very recently. I didn't believe that salavtion = license to sin and totally disagreed with such a thought, but I had the attitude that dealing with the 'little things' was entirely optional- I could live for God on my terms and get away with it and know I was saved, because I had sincerely asked Jesus to forgive me for all my sins (-and when I doubted asked for it many times afterwards!)! :(
The only thing I know that happened at my 'conversion' was that some things did stop for about a year or so, and I gave my life eternally to Christ knowing that my life would never be the same again and that he would change me- I was so frightened of change afterwards though (mostly with family and friends) and there were just too many favourite sins I still didn't want to let go of- despite God telling me relentlessly to, that I totally rebelled until all hell eventually broke lose on me.

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Squelch Master : Can I ask you what is the sin that you can not control? What is it that you believe is keeping you from Salvation? It seems like that is your stumbling block. It is not that Christ will not forgive you but rather that you feel unworthy of forgiveness.

Do you not know ?

Romans 5:20 The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

LOVE

Upvote 0

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Squelch Master -

I know what you are talking about. I was saved at a young age and have had problems with backsliding off and on for years. But, God always welcomes me back to Him. But, everytime I come back to Him with my tail between my knees, with bowed head, He DOES take me back. You must be humble with the Lord. He does not like a proud heart. Now, this last time around(came back in Feb)has been more trying on me, the world's lusts are harder for me to resist and I do not hear God as much as I did previously. I really think He is just trying to make sure I am sincere this time. He is making me seek Him out more instead of making it so easy on me. You see He made it easy before, and I turned my back on Him and His commandments, so He wants me to know that Fellowship with Him is not a joke, to be picked up and put down when I am ready. It is, in my opinion a form of loving chastisment from Him.

I do not believe that one can lose their eternal life with God once it is given. The God of the Bible just doesn't represent that to me. Now, I do believe that we can lose a reward in Heaven due to our choosing to live in active sin. That may be what you are really seeing.

Just my thoughts ya'll...

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Oh Squelch Master! I love you so much for telling me this!

I believe that you are right, satan is deceiving you into thinking that God is far away and has forgotten you. God is standing right next to you, holding you like a Father holds his beloved child.

He's there. He never left you. It's all been a mean trick of satan.

But God is still there for you.

Upvote 0

BK

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟15,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Squelch Master, If you let Satan win this you WILL have committed the "unforgivable sin" by un-repentantly dying in your sins. I don't think you have committed anything unpardonable because the Holy Spirit in you is still leading you to Jesus. Therefore you don't have a fully hardened heart.
I agree with the others by saying Satan is using his greatest weapons against you right now (doubt and fear) to lead you astray. But it is written "No weapon formed against you will prosper." That is unless you let it, I believe.
As for the matter of eternal security, I have been struggling with that one for sometime now and I don't think we'll ever know the true answer until we are face to face with our Savior Jesus Christ, when we know all.
I don't think it's important whether or not you CAN loose your Salvation. We, as true, Born-Again Christians shouldn't even have to worry about that. We should be living a life pleasing to God and led by his words. You can't truely be living in the Spirit AND enjoy a life of Sin at the same time. If you live like this and think your ok you may want to search your heart for the validity of you Salvation.

Jesus is Lord of all :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes.

Proof? Read the Second Epistle of Peter, Chapter 2 in it's entirety.

For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overpowered, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. It has happened to them according to the true proverb, The dog turns back to his own vomit, and the sow is washed only to wallow in the mire.

Of course, I have to clarify that all sin is a denial of God. So technically the answer is no, but since I don't think that was what you were driving it, I answered yes.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Can you lose your salvation any other way that denying God, Holy Spirit, or Jesus??

The only way to "lose" your salvation is not to allow God to finish the work He began in your life.

Philip. 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 12:2a Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;

It seems to me that you would have to pretty much not want to be saved. God is pretty aggressive about wanting to save people. I would have given up on myself many times over, but God never gave up on me. It is amazing to me, how much He loves me and how much He kept right on coming after me to bring me to a saving knowledge of the truth.

I think He does comes after us, knowing what we can be. I am sure that He did not want me the way I was. But He does a wonderful work in our lives to change and transform us, so that that we become like Jesus. We can be well pleasing to the Father. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.