Can You Identify These Politicians, Athletes and Celebrities? Most Americans Can't.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Can You Identify These Politicians, Athletes and Celebrities? Most Americans Can't.
Recognizability matters, to politicians and celebrities alike. See how many people you can identify based only on a photograph.

We Asked You to Name These Athletes, Politicians and Celebrities. Here's How You Did.
The Upshot recently published a quiz that asked readers to identify up to 52 politicians, athletes and celebrities. (If you haven’t taken it yet, we encourage you to do so now.)

Hundreds of thousands of readers took the quiz, submitting millions of guesses. The accompanying chart shows how New York Times readers performed compared with a nationally representative online survey of adults and teenagers conducted by Morning Consult for The Times.

I got 48 out of 52 correct. The ones I got wrong, I had no idea who the people were (as opposed to a wrong guess).

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I identified 13 out of 52. Knew 3 or 4 more but had a brain freeze.

Funny thing about the test, I identified President Clinton as William Jefferson Clinton and it told me the image was of Bill Clinton and said "William Jefferson Clinton" was close enough. That in itself tells me that the Times failed to fully research what should be the correct answers.

Edit: It did accept "Hillary Rodham Clinton" as the correct answer, for what that is worth.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I got 35. I didn't know any of the soccer players, though I recognized the woman, but could not remember her name. I missed 2 because I was being cute with the names ("Mr. Turtle Man McConnell" and "The Biebs." it counted those as wrong, lol). I didn't know the youtubers either as I am not a big youtube follower.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I got 35. I didn't know any of the soccer players, though I recognized the woman, but could not remember her name. I missed 2 because I was being cute with the names ("Mr. Turtle Man McConnell" and "The Biebs." it counted those as wrong, lol). I didn't know the youtubers either as I am not a big youtube follower.
They made a comment about Trump and Obama had the highest recognition, and most of the wrong answers were not publishable (suggesting people called them names). I wanted to call McConnell a turtle too, LOL.

I got a soccer player wrong and three of the YouTubers, I only knew one vaguely from newspaper articles I've read talking about Pewdiepie (I still have no idea what he or any other YouTubers do).

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I got about 33 (scored 31, but like Ibaneezer, I was a bit waggish with 'Pocahontas'). I like that it shows how many in the general US population got it right, and among NYT readers.

The rarest ones I got right were Modi (US 3% NYT 41%) and Zelensky (US 11% NYT 38%).

I think they had just about all of the current and former Dem 2020 candidates in there, so many of them I recognized to that extent: "Oh, that's another one of those people who won't win the nomination."

Also interesting to see how I did at categories. Great at US and World politics. Spotty at sports (I got Tom Brady (so so sorry for your humiliating loss yesterday!), Serena, LeBron, Rapinoe) and terrible at 'culture'.

Upvote 0