How Can You Identify a Bad Bishop? Sometimes it's Easy!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, we have numerous examples of bad bishops in this country. That sad situation leads me to shake my head ruefully while reading the quote attributed to St. John Chrysostom:

The road to Hell is paved with the bones of priests and monks, and the skulls of bishops are the lamp posts that light the path.
Two weeks ago I did a post about the Archbishop of San Antonio, Gustavo García-Siller, persecuting a good Catholic family and essentially trying to destroy their retreat center (their livelihood) by banning any diocesan events there. It led to groups violating their contractual obligations, an obvious serious moral violation against the eighth commandment, especially with no evidence of wrongdoing. The archbishop violated every Catholic admonition on how to handle disagreements. If you have a mind to, you can read the original post:

The article generated a number of comments, with one diligent anonymous source vigorously defending the bishop and painting the retreat center in the blackest terms possible. I responded to "Anonymous" at one point saying, "Your continuous attack on the ranch makes me suspect your "anonymous" status hides a chancery bureaucrat." I still suspect that is a fact. Someone more techie than I could probably discover whether the comment came from a chancery computer.​

At any rate, what made me want to revisit this post was a March 11th article at LifeSiteNews describing a Mass after the 2022 Uvalde achool shooting, one I missed at the time.

Continued below.