Can You Be Both a Democrat and a Republican?

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've recently decided to embrace both parties simultaneously, and now consider myself bi-political (Democrat and Republican). I'm not centrist, I hold some far left beliefs and some far right ones... But I feel like the system is designed in a way that discourages this kind of thinking, and I am aware that there are even insulting terms used to describe such behavior, including "flip-flopper", "RINO", and "DINO".

But isn't it true that following the party line to a "T" just makes one a follower and pretty much a political tool? Hasn't this country been steadily growing more and more partisan? Haven't we been looking at the "other" in increasingly hostile ways? Hasn't radicalism seemed to manifest society in almost every facet lately..?

...So why not work toward ending this downward spiral of a trend, and as an exercise, pick out a topic or two from the party you're generally not, and see if you can embrace it. Or if there is already a topic that you've always kept undercover that the other party seems to hold..? Do you think it might be worth going ahead and breaking the mold for the good of the country..?

Last edited:

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I've recently decided to embrace both parties simultaneously, and now consider myself bi-political (Democrat and Republican). I'm not centrist, I hold some far left beliefs and some far right ones... But I feel like the system is designed in a way that discourages this kind of thinking, and I am aware that there are even insulting terms used to describe such behavior, including "flip-flopper", "RINO", and "DINO".

But isn't it true that following the party line to a "T" just makes one a follower and pretty much a blockhead (;)) tool? Hasn't this country been steadily growing more and more bipartisan? Haven't we been looking at the "other" in increasingly hostile ways? Hasn't radicalism seemed to manifest society in almost every facet lately..?

...So why not work toward ending this downward spiral of a trend, and as an exercise, pick out a topic or two from the party you're generally not, and see if you can embrace it. Or if there is already a topic that you've always kept undercover that the other party seems to hold..? Here's the place for you to come out of the closet and take pride in your bi-political nature. :)

As long as a politician does what is right in Gods eyes and the American People,
that is all that matters.
For a voter as a Christian, for me I must vote based on obedience to God.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, at the end of the day, you need to vote for one of the two unless a really strong third party or independent candidate makes a showing. Whom you vote for determines whether you're a Republican or a Democrat, at least for that election (same concept as "actions are louder than words"). I'm talking about taking the whole ballot into consideration, not just fixating on one office like President. If you make an exception for an office or two but vote for overwhelmingly in favor of one party over the other overall, then I'd say that's your party for now.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, at the end of the day, you need to vote for one of the two unless a really strong third party or independent candidate makes a showing. Whom you vote for determines whether you're a Republican or a Democrat, at least for that election (same concept as "actions are louder than words"). I'm talking about taking the whole ballot into consideration, not just fixating on one office like President. If you make an exception for an office or two but vote for overwhelmingly in favor of one party over the other overall, then I'd say that's your party for now.

I've seen some people on Facebook who consistently post political memes that support a particular party-line. It's like a club type mentality, that they seem to believe they belong to.

...I think that's damaging to the country, and can lead to radicalism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our last president was in both parties in his career.

But to be both, at the same time... I think that's a new concept, that most people haven't considered.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've seen some people on Facebook who consistently post political memes that support a particular party-line. It's like a club or a gang type mentality, that they seem to believe they belong to.

...I think that's damaging to the country, and is radicalism 101.
Depends on what it is you're talking about. If it's calling out an entire party, I can see that. If it's taking a stand on two or three issues of the day, then you could be dealing with something else since a stance on those two or three issues doesn't necessarily indicate towing the party line on any other issues.

I'm actually further to the left than many Republicans on a few issues, and further to the right than many of them on several more issues. I'm still a Republican, but probably not the kind the news likes to write stories about.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

But isn't it true that following the party line to a "T" just makes one a follower and pretty much a political tool? Hasn't this country been steadily growing more and more partisan? Haven't we been looking at the "other" in increasingly hostile ways? Hasn't radicalism seemed to manifest society in almost every facet lately..?

...So why not work toward ending this downward spiral of a trend, and as an exercise, pick out a topic or two from the party you're generally not, and see if you can embrace it. Or if there is already a topic that you've always kept undercover that the other party seems to hold..? Do you think it might be worth going ahead and breaking the mold for the good of the country..?

I don't think it's possible to be both, no. But everyone will hold views on some matters that are contrary to their chosen party's stance on those issues.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But to be both, at the same time... I think that's a new concept, that most people haven't considered.
Millions say they are not politically left or right, dem or rep, progressive nor conservative.
True, most are not.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
No, you can't be both but you can be an independent that likes some of what both parties platforms stand for but the problem often is since the parties tend to compete they often take opposing stances on an issue and taking both sides on some issues isn't really possible as some issues are polarizing in nature.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it's possible to be both, no. But everyone will hold views on some matters that are contrary to their chosen party's stance on those issues.

I'm currently working on testing it out right now, to see if it is possible.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, you can't be both but you can be an independent that likes some of what both parties platforms stand for but the problem often is since the parties tend to compete they often take opposing stances on an issue and taking both sides on some issues isn't really possible as some issues are polarizing in nature.

But being independent is to exist outside the parties... Kind of like being in limbo, which seems disengaged, and has kind of an empty feeling to it, if you know what I mean.

...But to be bi-political, if it is possible, would be equivalent to being "everything"... Being 'whole' with 'all' of politics... But you're right about the opposing views, that is an obstacle I'm trying to work out.

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But being independent is to exist outside the parties... Kind of like being in limbo, which seems disengaged, and has kind of an empty feeling to it, if you know what I mean.

...But to be bi-political, if it is possible, would be equivalent to being "everything"... Being 'whole' with 'all' of politics... But you're right about the opposing views, that is an obstacle I'm trying to work out.

Hmmm... I think this does fit more into the realm of "independent." Nothing wrong with that. I'm a filthy independent as well. :D I have strong left and right views on things, similar to you.

I think it's freeing, as instead of just blindly checking the boxes due to a R or a D next to the name, you can actually look at their track record for what they've done and choose the one that aligns more to your POV. Only problem is that it requires a little more research, which turns off a lot of people.

The most important thing is that you just stay true to yourself, imo. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian

It just isn't logically possible to be for opposing views either you cancel both out or are neutral which means you are for neither or nothing at all.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Depends on what it is you're talking about. If it's calling out an entire party, I can see that. If it's taking a stand on two or three issues of the day, then you could be dealing with something else since a stance on those two or three issues doesn't necessarily indicate towing the party line on any other issues.

I'm actually further to the left than many Republicans on a few issues, and further to the right than many of them on several more issues. I'm still a Republican, but probably not the kind the news likes to write stories about.
Too liberal to be a conservative, too conservative to be a liberal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm... I think this does fit more into the realm of "independent." Nothing wrong with that. I'm a filthy independent as well. :D I have strong left and right views on things, similar to you.

I think it's freeing, as instead of just blindly checking the boxes due to a R or a D next to the name, you can actually look at their track record for what they've done and choose the one that aligns more to your POV. Only problem is that it requires a little more research, which turns off a lot of people.

You look very familiar. :)

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It just isn't logically possible to be for opposing views either you cancel both out or are neutral which means you are for neither or nothing at all.

Surely only a fraction of ideals are polar opposite between the two parties. It doesn't necessarily mean that polar opposition must exist in a two party system. There can be different ideas altogether, and there can be shared opinions between the party's.

...In fact, the idea that Dems and Repubs are supposed to be polar opposite, is the very root of the problem we're facing..! It simply doesn't have to be so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Millions say they are not politically left or right, dem or rep, progressive nor conservative.
True, most are not.

Indeed... I see myself as an *American*, and since Democrat and Republican are both American party's, I see myself as both.

...When I envision an Independent, I see someone who is 'neither'.

So the difference between being "Independent" and being "bi-political" is like the difference between positive and negative polarity in a political sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'm with you, and definitely think it's worth it. I think you're right, if you toe the party line, you're simply a party tool. For me, there is no way one party (as things stand) can capture all that I find concerning and in need of attention. I have voted Republican, Democrat, and third party. I don't think I would say I am bi-political; although, the way you're putting it is new to me so I'll have to sit with it a minute.

I just don't know how gov't is suppose to work if both sides are unwilling to compromise. Everyone can't have everything they want. But both sides can have something of what they want. The notion of compromise gets a bad name, but that is the only way gov't can work in a society that is not homogeneous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm with you, and definitely think it's worth it. I think you're right, if you tow the party line, you're simply a party tool. For me, there is no way one party (as things stand) can capture all that I find concerning and in need of attention. I have voted Republican, Democrat, and third party. I don't think I would say I am bi-political; although, the way you're putting it is new to me so I'll have to sit with it a minute.

I just don't know how gov't is suppose to work if both sides are unwilling to compromise. Everyone can't have everything they want. But both sides can have something of what they want. The notion of compromise gets a bad name, but that is the only way gov't can work in a society that is not homogeneous.

I believe this really is something *new*. Not sure why it hasn't dawned on me before... But while the two parties themselves seem to be having micro-divisions, it seems almost like perfect timing for this notion to come to light. IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0