Can You Be Both a Democrat and a Republican?

Magnanimity

Dec 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But upon deeper reflection, you will come to see that one is all "accepting" while the other is all "rejecting".

An Independent can value very much in both political parties and yet take issue with some particulars in each party, all at the same time. Looking for that which is true and good in any political party is a quality of a wise person. Your language suggests that you are trying to stake out some ground that affirms both parties. That would not be unusual and would be, in fact, what many Independents do. But, if it makes you feel more positively affirming to call that attitude and action, "bi-political," instead of Independent, have at it!

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An Independent can value very much in both political parties and yet take issue with some particulars in each party, all at the same time. Looking for that which is true and good in any political party is a quality of a wise person. Your language suggests that you are trying to stake out some ground that affirms both parties. That would not be unusual and would be, in fact, what many Independents do. But, if it makes you feel more positively affirming to call that attitude and action, "bi-political," instead of Independent, have at it!

So just to be clear, if I love everything about both parties, including an appreciation of the wide range of variation within the abortion dilemma, that makes me an independent..? Or do I have to *disagree* with things to be an independent?

...This is what I was getting at in calling Independents the polar opposite of bi-politicals.

...I see one as all accepting, and the other as having a few "problems".

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But upon deeper reflection, you will come to see that one is all "accepting" while the other is all "rejecting".
How can a D/R be 'all' accepting of both platforms?
The independent voter can accept 'all' of either platform or accept parts of each platform without rejecting 'all' of either platform.

Upvote 0

Magnanimity

Dec 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So just to be clear, if I love everything about both parties

How would that be possible? You likely don't love everything about your very self (no room for self-improvement?) or your religion (the Catholic church is perfected right now?). So, how might you love "everything" about both parties? Valuing something isn't the same as loving everything about it. But, valuing something does require that you earnestly look for that which is true and good in the thing under consideration, right? It probably also presumes that there will be truth and goodness to be found within the thing.

including the wide range of variation between the abortion dilemma

Abortion is a great example of attempting to value all sides in an important debate. If you read pro-choice literature with some level of openness to at least hearing them out, you will probably stretch yourself. You'll see the humanity of the author and the rationality underlying their position, even if, at the end of the day, you can't get there to fully agree with them. Undoubtedly, there will be some things that the pro-choice author says with which you will agree. And this will help you to value "the other." And it helps you to not put them in an "enemy" box. Pope Francis recently said it very well in his newest encyclical Fratelli Tutti,

203. Authentic social dialogue involves the ability to respect the other’s point of view and to admit that it may include legitimate convictions and concerns. Based on their identity and experience, others have a contribution to make, and it is desirable that they should articulate their positions for the sake of a more fruitful public debate. When individuals or groups are consistent in their thinking, defend their values and convictions, and develop their arguments, this surely benefits society. Yet, this can only occur to the extent that there is genuine dialogue and openness to others. Indeed, “in a true spirit of dialogue, we grow in our ability to grasp the significance of what others say and do, even if we cannot accept it as our own conviction. In this way, it becomes possible to be frank and open about our beliefs, while continuing to discuss, to seek points of contact, and above all, to work and struggle together”​

Or do I have to disagree with things to be an independent?

Again, who doesn't disagree with some things? The only person you will ever 100% agree with is...YOU! But, even then, as you grow and evolve, you in 10 years will disagree with the you of today. However, I can still value the person/party that holds a position or line of reasoning that I disagree with. Right..?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can a D/R be 'all' accepting of both platforms?
The independent voter can accept 'all' of either platform or accept parts of each platform without rejecting 'all' of either platform.

But consider the times we're in. And consider the polarization in politics... Consider how as of now, there has been no known force that works to unite... Not even Independents... We only divide, further and further...

Do you think it's logical or good to attempt to create a new solution? Don't all solutions begin with an idea..?

Why continue as we are?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How would that be possible? You likely don't love everything about your very self (no room for self-improvement?) or your religion (the Catholic church is perfected right now?). So, how might you love "everything" about both parties? Valuing something isn't the same as loving everything about it. But, valuing something does require that you earnestly look for that which is true and good in the thing under consideration, right? It probably also presumes that there will be truth and goodness to be found within the thing.

Abortion is a great example of attempting to value all sides in an important debate. If you read pro-choice literature with some level of openness to at least hearing them out, you will probably stretch yourself. You'll see the humanity of the author and the rationality underlying their position, even if, at the end of the day, you can't get there to fully agree with them. Undoubtedly, there will be some things that the pro-choice author says with which you will agree. And this will help you to value "the other." And it helps you to not put them in an "enemy" box. Pope Francis recently said it very well in his newest encyclical Fratelli Tutti,

203. Authentic social dialogue involves the ability to respect the other’s point of view and to admit that it may include legitimate convictions and concerns. Based on their identity and experience, others have a contribution to make, and it is desirable that they should articulate their positions for the sake of a more fruitful public debate. When individuals or groups are consistent in their thinking, defend their values and convictions, and develop their arguments, this surely benefits society. Yet, this can only occur to the extent that there is genuine dialogue and openness to others. Indeed, “in a true spirit of dialogue, we grow in our ability to grasp the significance of what others say and do, even if we cannot accept it as our own conviction. In this way, it becomes possible to be frank and open about our beliefs, while continuing to discuss, to seek points of contact, and above all, to work and struggle together”​

Again, who doesn't disagree with some things? The only person you will ever 100% agree with is...YOU! But, even then, as you grow and evolve, you in 10 years will disagree with the you of today. However, I can still value the person/party that holds a position or line of reasoning that I disagree with. Right..?

It could, theoretically be, that it wouldn't work for you... Or many people. But "acceptance" is the word of the day here.

If I can accept the variation within both the democratic and Republican parties to the point that I can even appreciate the differences... Then I would be wholly everything.

Do you think it's possible to appreciate differences? That's a difficult question, but some actually can if they train their minds to. It's thinking at a higher level.

• Friendly
Reactions: Magnanimity
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think it's logical or good to attempt to create a new solution? Don't all solutions begin with an idea..?
I commend you for trying to come up with a viable solution.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do. And I feel that you should pursue the approach that you have been contemplating.

How belonging to two opposing political parties helps you do it, I still don't "get" however. And if the idea is basically the same as what is normally called being a political Independent, it's nothing new.

But if the idea is to be active in both the R and D parties, as a precinct delegate and representative to your county committee for example, supporting some of the policies of one party and at a different time supporting other policies of the rival party, I surely do hope you get back to us with a follow-up report about how that worked out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Magnanimity

Dec 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It could, theoretically be, that it wouldn't work for you... Or many people. But "acceptance" is the word of the day here.

If I can accept the variation within both the democratic and Republican parties to the point that I can even appreciate the differences... Then I would be wholly everything.

Do you think it's possible to appreciate differences? That's a difficult question, but some actually can if they train their minds to. It's thinking at a higher level.

Personally, I am oriented toward mysticism. Which means that I am wired to constantly look for (and find) that which is true, good and beautiful in all things, to include political parties. I see the political Left and Right as both necessary entities to help form balance and prevent the society from going off the deep-end (into either hyper-traditionalism or hyper-progressivism). My perspective is almost Daoist in these respects. And yes, this is a type of "appreciating differences" because I've determined that both political orientations (Right and Left) are necessary and that our society would suffer without the existence of each. So, in important respects, I'm with you (at least in spirit). :smiley: I think your mind-heart is fundamentally in a good place if you're trying to value both/all.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can You Be Both a Democrat and a Republican?
I consider myself to be a Republicrat.
I am centrist on economic matters.
I am for fetal rights and biology-segregated privacy.

Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,057.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
But being independent is to exist outside the parties... Kind of like being in limbo, which seems disengaged, and has kind of an empty feeling to it, if you know what I mean.

...But to be bi-political, if it is possible, would be equivalent to being "everything"... Being 'whole' with 'all' of politics... But you're right about the opposing views, that is an obstacle I'm trying to work out.

What you're describing is called "Big Tent politics".

• Informative
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've recently decided to embrace both parties simultaneously, and now consider myself bi-political (Democrat and Republican). I'm not centrist, I hold some far left beliefs and some far right ones... But I feel like the system is designed in a way that discourages this kind of thinking, and I am aware that there are even insulting terms used to describe such behavior, including "flip-flopper", "RINO", and "DINO".

But isn't it true that following the party line to a "T" just makes one a follower and pretty much a political tool? Hasn't this country been steadily growing more and more partisan? Haven't we been looking at the "other" in increasingly hostile ways? Hasn't radicalism seemed to manifest society in almost every facet lately..?

...So why not work toward ending this downward spiral of a trend, and as an exercise, pick out a topic or two from the party you're generally not, and see if you can embrace it. Or if there is already a topic that you've always kept undercover that the other party seems to hold..? Do you think it might be worth going ahead and breaking the mold for the good of the country..?
I think too many people make the mistake of assuming liberal and democrat are the same, and conservative and republican are the same. Conservative/Liberal are political views, where as Republican/Democrat are party views. Not all republican party views are conservative, and not all democratic party views are liberal. The fact that you (and I along with lots of other people) agree with some Republican views, and some Democratic views is more of an indication of independent thinking rather than towing a particular party line.

Upvote 0