Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
( 10 ) : ” CAN YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE SAVED ? “
August 24, 2017gigoboy777 Leave a comment
You hear people all the time, with great spiritual pride , say that they KNOW that they are saved with no doubts whatsoever , and that if you have any doubts , there is something wrong with your faith ! Well is it possible to know that you are saved without any doubts whatsoever ! The bible says that we are saved by grace through faith : EPHESIANS 2 ( 8 ) : ” For by grace are ye saved THROUGH FAITH ! ” Well just what exactly is faith ? : The bible’s definition : HEBREWS 11 ( 1 ) : ” Now faith is the substance of THINGS HOPED FOR , the evidence of THINGS NOT SEEN . ” So FAITH IS HOPING for something that we as yet CANNOT SEE , but we are believing that it will be , without any actual visual physical evidence of it, but only the evidence of THINGS NOT SEEN , which of course is not real evidence : So we ultimately have ONLY HOPE ! : ROMANS 8 ( 24&25 ) : 24 : ” FOR WE ARE SAVED BY HOPE , BUT HOPE THAT IS SEEN IS NOT HOPE , FOR WHAT A MAN SEETH WHY DOTH HE YET HOPE FOR IT ? ” 25 : ” BUT IF WE HOPE FOR THAT WE SEE NOT , THEN DO WE WITH PATIENCE ” WAIT FOR IT ” : OBVIOUSY HOPING IS NOT KNOWING ! For example : Did the great Saints of God all through history know that they were saved , or did they also have to operate by faith , hoping and believing that they would be saved at some future time , without any real present visible proof : HEBREWS 11 ( 13 , 27 , & 39 ) : 13 : ” These all died in faith , NOT HAVING RECEIVED THE PROMISES , but having seen them afar off , and were persuaded of them . ” 27 : ” BY FAITH he forsook Egypt , not fearing the wrath of the king , for he endured as SEEING HIM WHO IS INVISIBLE . ” 39 : ” And these all , having obtained a good report through faith RECEIVED NOT THE PROMISE . ” None of these great men of God received the promises , right unto their deaths , but OPERATED SOLELY ON HOPE AND BELIEF of things they believed would come : THEY DID NOT KNOW : THEY BELIEVED ! If we had absolute present visual proof of our salvation , it would be no big accomplishment to stick with the Lord, anybody could do that : But the fact that we only have hope makes it far more difficult to hang in there with the Lord to the end , like brother Paul says 1 TIMOTHY 6 ( 12 ) : ” Fight the good FIGHT OF FAITH . ” and 2 TIMOTHY 4 ( 7 ) : ” I have fought a good fight , I have finished my course , I have KEPT THE FAITH ! ” HE DIDN’T KNOW FOR SURE WITHOUT DOUBT , as he says : HE HAD TO FIGHT ALL THE WAY TO KEEP HIS FAITH , his belief , fight against the doubts , and he kept his faith with only hope : THE SAME HOPE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO SUSTAIN OUR FAITH : HEBREWS 6 ( 18&19 ) : 18 : ” To lay hold upon THE HOPE set before us , ” 19 : ” WHICH HOPE WE HAVE AS AN ANCHOR OF THE SOUL . ” Is there anything that we can do to increase and strengthen our faith ? : ROMANS 10 ( 17 ) : ” Faith cometh by hearing , and hearing by the word of God ” If we study the word of God and read where all God’s true people also had to operate by hope and faith alone : This strengthens our faith also ! Of course there are many who teach the false teaching that we are saved here and now , but the Bible says : 1 PETER 1 ( 13 ) : ” Hope to the end for the grace that IS TO BE BROUGHT UNTO YOU AT THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST ” : NOT NOW ! and 1 PETER 1 ( 9 ) : ” Receiving THE END OF YOUR FAITH even the salvation of your souls . ” : NOT NOW BUT AT THE END OF YOUR FAITH ! Further scriptural evidence that our salvation is not by knowing but only by hope : TITUS 1 ( 2 ) : ” In HOPE of eternal life . ” and TITUS 2 ( 13 ) : ” The HOPE of eternal life . ” and 1 THESSALONIANS 5 ( 8 ) : ‘ For an helmet the HOPE of salvation . ” There is only one verse that seems to say that we can know that we have eternal life and this is of course 1 JOHN 5 ( 13 ) : ” That you may know that you have eternal life . ” Yet this same brother two chapters earlier in 1 JOHN 3 ( 2 ) says that we can know that we shall be like God , but in the very next verse , talking about the same thing says : that WE ONLY HAVE A HOPE OF THIS : 1 JOHN 3 ( 2&3 ) : 2 : ” We know that when he shall appear , we shall be like him . ” 3 : ” And every man that hath this HOPE in him purifieth himself . ” So we can see that when John says we can know something he actually means THAT WE HAVE THIS HOPE ! So applying this understanding to 1 JOHN 5 ( 13 ) , when he says that we may know that we have eternal life , this would mean that we actually only have a hope of this as he said in 1 JOHN 3 ( 3 ) . The fact that the rest of the scriptures all say that we have only hope clarifies what exactly 1 JOHN 5 ( 13 ) really means , and it is a widely misunderstood verse which those that are unlearned and unstable wrest, 2 PETER 3 ( 16 ) . So the answer to the opening question of this study would be : NO WE CANNOT KNOW THAT WE ARE SAVED HERE AND NOW , BUT WE HAVE TO OPERATE AS ALL GOD’S PEOPLE THROUGH HISTORY HAVE OPERATED , BY FAITH , WHICH IS ONLY HOPE OF SOME FUTURE THING , WHICH AT PRESENT WE CANNOT VISUALLY SEE , SO WE HAVE TO FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH , BELIEF TO THE END OF OUR TIME HERE, AFTER WHICH IF WE KEEP THE FAITH , THEN WE WILL RECEIVE THE PROMISE : THIS IS ALL BY FAITH : NOT KNOWING : BUT FAITH !
why didn't you include these passages and talk about them? Ephesians 1:14; 2 Corinthians 1:22; Romans 8:16; 2 Corinthians 5:5...seems to me that scripture tells us that the Holy Spirit is our guarantee of salvation and if He is at work in our lives we have confidence and can be without doubt that we are saved.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,407,076.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Again it’s by faith which is only hope not knowing : read the bible study : this is a classic example of false previous teaching totally blocking people from seeing the obvious crystal clear truth of the bible : we are saved by faith : faith is not knowing : it is faith : look up the bibles own definition of faith : Heb 11(1): Substance Of things hoped for : hope is not knowing : it is hope : that’s what the fight of faith is all about : because it’s not knowing but hope : Paul says he fought a good fight : but I guess you people are above Paul : You don’t have to fight because you already know : totally unscriptural : Rom 8(24) : Peace brothers and sisters .

You say faith is not knowing. I think you are misunderstanding in where the faith or as you say hope is to be placed. One must believe that the plan of salvation was completely accomplished by Lord Jesus on the cross. One must believe that He rose from the dead on the third day as the scripture teaches.
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

The confidence I have is in these three verses... period.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
they KNOW that they are saved with no doubts whatsoever , and that if you have any doubts , there is something wrong with your faith
Perhaps we are only saved at those moments when we know in faith that we are saved?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,407,076.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think people can feel they are not saved when they sin sometimes. I've done that. But outside of such times I know I am saved. Though I do believe you can lose salvation.
I have in the past been unsure, but I meditated this word.
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

There are other scriptures that also gave me assurance.
I do not believe I can lose salvation.Why? I gave my life to Lord Jesus. I was bought with a precious price. I belong to Him. He promised to never leave me or forsake. I believe never means never.

Upvote 0

John tower

The Called Out
Mar 18, 2018
Toronto
✟23,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps we are only saved at those moments when we know in faith that we are saved?
What bible verse says anything like that : c’mon brothers : we can’t just make this stuff up : you must have scriptures that specifically state what you are trying to say !

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you are saying but I know people who's only fault is being shy or easily persuaded by anybody elses opinion. I was unsure when I was younger because I was not a strong leader type. But as I got older my certainty gained strength. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, and you believe on him then His word is true and not a lie. John 3:16 puts no exceptions nor exclusions on the table. Believe = Saved. Not maybe. Not sort of. Not might have been if...,. And it is not revoked. If it is revoked then Jesus was a liar and the Bible is not the Word of God. But I know better because first I believed then I began to see God working in my life. As I got older my eyesight got worse but my vision became more clear.
So, then, it's all about knowing you're saved? As long as one has this strong confidence, then they're saved?

Upvote 0

John tower

The Called Out
Mar 18, 2018
Toronto
✟23,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You say faith is not knowing. I think you are misunderstanding in where the faith or as you say hope is to be placed. One must believe that the plan of salvation was completely accomplished by Lord Jesus on the cross. One must believe that He rose from the dead on the third day as the scripture teaches.

The confidence I have is in these three verses... period.
You are right : one must believe : absolutely :and if you continue to believe to the end of your life you will then receive the reward : not before : Receiving the end of your faith : eternal life : not the beginning , not half way through , but the end .

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,407,076.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, then, it's all about knowing you're saved? As long as one has this strong confidence, then they're saved?
Why are you trying to twist it to say something it doesn't. I have typed this several times on this thread.

Now if you want to call that strong confidence, then so be it.Salvation is not something that you earn. It is not something you can buy, It is not something that you even deserve. It is a free gift by grace are you saved through faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,407,076.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You are right : one must believe : absolutely :and if you continue to believe to the end of your life you will then receive the reward : not before : Receiving the end of your faith : eternal life : not the beginning , not half way through , but the end .

What would cause a person to stop believing?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
1 John 5:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Same verse I would quote. It doesn't mean there are no doubts, or that doubts imply a lack of faith. Nor is it about pride. But you can know ... otherwise what's the point?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So if a person believes to the end, then they are saved? But a person who believes but then stops believing at some point, then they aren't saved? Even if both had claimed to know that they are saved?

Upvote 0

John tower

The Called Out
Mar 18, 2018
Toronto
✟23,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You place your faith in Jesus Christ, and you can know based upon your own faith in the Lord Jesus whether you're saved or not according to the requirements listed in the Bible for salvation. Our faith is in the Lord, who cannot lie or go against his promise. If we know we have faith in the Lord, we know we are saved by the Lord. It's that simple.
Reread the study brother : you still didn’t get it : focus on Heb 11(1) and Rom 8(24&25) : Peace.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why are you trying to twist it to say something it doesn't. I have typed this several times on this thread.

Now if you want to call that strong confidence, then so be it.Salvation is not something that you earn. It is not something you can buy, It is not something that you even deserve. It is a free gift by grace are you saved through faith.
I wasn't responding to your post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John tower

The Called Out
Mar 18, 2018
Toronto
✟23,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if a person believes to the end, then they are saved? But a person who believes but then stops believing at some point, then they aren't saved? Even if both had claimed to know that they are saved?
He that shall endure unto the end , the same SHALL be saved !

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟823,364.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We can see the flood account as an allegorical example of salvation. God's chosen built the ark, which is the Church. He filled the Church with people's of every kind. All of the different kinds of animals, like Peter's vision in Acts, are the different Gentiles which God has cleansed and welcomed into the Church. The flood waters are baptism which wash away the sin of the world.

God's children are saved and safe within the ark and are being saved and have hope of reaching their salvation.

When the flood waters receded, the first thing which Noah did was plant a vineyard and get drunk on the fruit of the vine, Jesus. He lay naked before God, just as man was naked in the Garden. God's children bare all before their Father in heaven and are alive in his rest, righteousness. We should never be ashamed of our nakedness and attempt to hide it before God.

Live as children of the most holy, who are made holy through baptism and whom are temples of God with his Holy Spirit present within us.

Surrender to God's Spirit and rejoice in the free gift received through the cross, the key which opens the gate to heaven.

God bless.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,899.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
( 10 ) : ” CAN YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE SAVED ? “
August 24, 2017gigoboy777 Leave a comment
You hear people all the time, with great spiritual pride , say that they KNOW that they are saved with no doubts whatsoever , and that if you have any doubts , there is something wrong with your faith ! Well is it possible to know that you are saved without any doubts whatsoever ! The bible says that we are saved by grace through faith : EPHESIANS 2 ( 8 ) : ” For by grace are ye saved THROUGH FAITH ! ” Well just what exactly is faith ? : The bible’s definition : HEBREWS 11 ( 1 ) : ” Now faith is the substance of THINGS HOPED FOR , the evidence of THINGS NOT SEEN . ” So FAITH IS HOPING for something that we as yet CANNOT SEE , but we are believing that it will be , without any actual visual physical evidence of it, but only the evidence of THINGS NOT SEEN , which of course is not real evidence : So we ultimately have ONLY HOPE ! : ROMANS 8 ( 24&25 ) : 24 : ” FOR WE ARE SAVED BY HOPE , BUT HOPE THAT IS SEEN IS NOT HOPE , FOR WHAT A MAN SEETH WHY DOTH HE YET HOPE FOR IT ? ” 25 : ” BUT IF WE HOPE FOR THAT WE SEE NOT , THEN DO WE WITH PATIENCE ” WAIT FOR IT ” : OBVIOUSY HOPING IS NOT KNOWING ! For example : Did the great Saints of God all through history know that they were saved , or did they also have to operate by faith , hoping and believing that they would be saved at some future time , without any real present visible proof : HEBREWS 11 ( 13 , 27 , & 39 ) : 13 : ” These all died in faith , NOT HAVING RECEIVED THE PROMISES , but having seen them afar off , and were persuaded of them . ” 27 : ” BY FAITH he forsook Egypt , not fearing the wrath of the king , for he endured as SEEING HIM WHO IS INVISIBLE . ” 39 : ” And these all , having obtained a good report through faith RECEIVED NOT THE PROMISE . ” None of these great men of God received the promises , right unto their deaths , but OPERATED SOLELY ON HOPE AND BELIEF of things they believed would come : THEY DID NOT KNOW : THEY BELIEVED ! If we had absolute present visual proof of our salvation , it would be no big accomplishment to stick with the Lord, anybody could do that : But the fact that we only have hope makes it far more difficult to hang in there with the Lord to the end , like brother Paul says 1 TIMOTHY 6 ( 12 ) : ” Fight the good FIGHT OF FAITH . ” and 2 TIMOTHY 4 ( 7 ) : ” I have fought a good fight , I have finished my course , I have KEPT THE FAITH ! ” HE DIDN’T KNOW FOR SURE WITHOUT DOUBT , as he says : HE HAD TO FIGHT ALL THE WAY TO KEEP HIS FAITH , his belief , fight against the doubts , and he kept his faith with only hope : THE SAME HOPE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO SUSTAIN OUR FAITH : HEBREWS 6 ( 18&19 ) : 18 : ” To lay hold upon THE HOPE set before us , ” 19 : ” WHICH HOPE WE HAVE AS AN ANCHOR OF THE SOUL . ” Is there anything that we can do to increase and strengthen our faith ? : ROMANS 10 ( 17 ) : ” Faith cometh by hearing , and hearing by the word of God ” If we study the word of God and read where all God’s true people also had to operate by hope and faith alone : This strengthens our faith also ! Of course there are many who teach the false teaching that we are saved here and now , but the Bible says : 1 PETER 1 ( 13 ) : ” Hope to the end for the grace that IS TO BE BROUGHT UNTO YOU AT THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST ” : NOT NOW ! and 1 PETER 1 ( 9 ) : ” Receiving THE END OF YOUR FAITH even the salvation of your souls . ” : NOT NOW BUT AT THE END OF YOUR FAITH ! Further scriptural evidence that our salvation is not by knowing but only by hope : TITUS 1 ( 2 ) : ” In HOPE of eternal life . ” and TITUS 2 ( 13 ) : ” The HOPE of eternal life . ” and 1 THESSALONIANS 5 ( 8 ) : ‘ For an helmet the HOPE of salvation . ” There is only one verse that seems to say that we can know that we have eternal life and this is of course 1 JOHN 5 ( 13 ) : ” That you may know that you have eternal life . ” Yet this same brother two chapters earlier in 1 JOHN 3 ( 2 ) says that we can know that we shall be like God , but in the very next verse , talking about the same thing says : that WE ONLY HAVE A HOPE OF THIS : 1 JOHN 3 ( 2&3 ) : 2 : ” We know that when he shall appear , we shall be like him . ” 3 : ” And every man that hath this HOPE in him purifieth himself . ” So we can see that when John says we can know something he actually means THAT WE HAVE THIS HOPE ! So applying this understanding to 1 JOHN 5 ( 13 ) , when he says that we may know that we have eternal life , this would mean that we actually only have a hope of this as he said in 1 JOHN 3 ( 3 ) . The fact that the rest of the scriptures all say that we have only hope clarifies what exactly 1 JOHN 5 ( 13 ) really means , and it is a widely misunderstood verse which those that are unlearned and unstable wrest, 2 PETER 3 ( 16 ) . So the answer to the opening question of this study would be : NO WE CANNOT KNOW THAT WE ARE SAVED HERE AND NOW , BUT WE HAVE TO OPERATE AS ALL GOD’S PEOPLE THROUGH HISTORY HAVE OPERATED , BY FAITH , WHICH IS ONLY HOPE OF SOME FUTURE THING , WHICH AT PRESENT WE CANNOT VISUALLY SEE , SO WE HAVE TO FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH , BELIEF TO THE END OF OUR TIME HERE, AFTER WHICH IF WE KEEP THE FAITH , THEN WE WILL RECEIVE THE PROMISE : THIS IS ALL BY FAITH : NOT KNOWING : BUT FAITH !
Your entire premise here is not right

scripture clearly, I mean clearly says we can know we are saved, here is one simple set of verses of the many that could be brought. This should end the discussion and cause you to recant this entire class. But I fear that it won't

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain."(1 Cor 15:1,2 KJV)

1 Corinthians 1:18
"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

2 Corinthians 2:15
"For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:"

and Christ in believers is the hope of glory. Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen.

We don't see Christ in us but he is there as we abide in faith. This is the evidence and hope in us. as Paul said

Colossians 1:27
"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"'

1 John 3:3
"And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

"5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"(2 Cor 13:5 KJV)

and again with this teaching you shared

2 Timothy 2:15
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Upvote 0