Can women talk about Jesus and the gospel?

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right and anyone preaching who is not doing that is doing it in vain. Teaching otoh is different.
1 Timothy 2:7,12,13 “Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not ) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity...12. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.13. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.”
Paul spoke the truth in Christ not the cultures of men

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Timothy 2:7,12,13 “Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not ) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity...12. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.13. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.”
Look show me where, anywhere in the bible says anything that agrees with the literal interpretation of Paul and I might, might, believe something that you have to say and therefore have something to discuss.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God spoke first person through Deborah

It is the same thing

I didn't dispute that.
But Deborah opened her mouth and spoke with her own voice - she did not press a button and God took over her voice box.

God speaks through men and women when they preach; they still have to open their mouths and obey.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Selected verses of Scripture can be made to say anything.
You've just backed up your point about God speaking through Deborah with a totally out of context verse from the NT.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Selected verses of Scripture can be made to say anything.
You've just backed up your point about God speaking through Deborah with a totally out of context verse from the NT.
No they are the same God speaking in people not them speaking. Prophets spoke first person for God

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Look show me where, anywhere in the bible says anything that agrees with the literal interpretation of Paul and I might, might, believe something that you have to say and therefore have something to discuss.
Paul said Adam was first formed then Eve and she was deceived read Genesis to see what happened

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the verb there is hagiazo; it has a range of possible meanings, but does not include that the unbelieving spouse is saved. It has more to do with cultic purity, and it is likely that Paul is saying that having an unbelieving spouse is not incompatible with personal holiness (not an unclean thing).

It seems to me that Paul is directly answering the question of the spiritual situation of children when one spouse has become a believer and the other has not.

He had already been talking about the state of the body itself when people participate in idol worship, so the obvious question from all that discussion would have been "what of the children?" when one spouse has been striving to maintain his or her body as a temple of God, but the other has been doing all kinds of whatever in idol worship and carrying demons with them to the house afterward.

Paul is identifying a spiritual "fencing off" or protective effect that a believing spouse can have for the entire household. But this "fencing off" is not the same thing as salvation.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No they are the same God speaking in people not them speaking. Prophets spoke first person for God

They spoke God's words - sure.
THEY spoke them. I've no doubt each had a different tone of voice, pitch and even different accents. They were not action men, where you pull a cord and a machine speaks.

I wonder if other verses by Paul are taken as literally as this one?
What about those that say women should not wear gold - who was it that decided gold wedding rings should be exchanged in church?
Or the one where Paul says that women should not wear pearls or have braided hair - was that, in fact, God's own voice giving fashion advice?
Or what about where Paul says that the church should provide no financial assistance for widows under 60, because they are idle gossipers? 1 Timothy 5:11-14. Try telling the widow whose husband was killed in war and who has 3 young children, that the church will do nothing to help her, because Paul says she is lazy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not quite sure how you got that idea.

You quoted my post and said we are able to overcome our temptations. As I was talking about women teaching and reading Scripture, it seemed that that was what you were referring to.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said Adam was first formed then Eve and she was deceived read Genesis to see what happened

I have.
1. Adam was commanded by God not to eat from the tree.
2. Eve was created.
3. We are not told that Eve was given the same direct command. She very likely heard it from Adam.
4. When the serpent said "DID God say .....?" she told him what she had heard, but she got it wrong.
5. Eve was deceived - suggesting that she wasn't sure what God had said so it was easier to trick her.
6. The serpent did not say "DID God say...... ?" to Adam because it knew perfectly well that Adam had heard God's command for himself. When someone knows a fact, it's not very likely that they can be tricked.
7. Being deceived is not wrong, or a sin.
8. If Eve was not sure, all the more reason for her to study, and learn, in silence. She was possibly distracted or talking to someone/thing. Maybe that's why Paul says "LET women learn .... in silence.... FOR Eve was deceived".

If you're saying that women cannot teach or preach because Eve was deceived, then neither can men because Adam was wilfully disobedient. Who wants a Minister who KNOWS what God wants and deliberately disobeys him?

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You quoted my post and said we are able to overcome our temptations. As I was talking about women teaching and reading Scripture, it seemed that that was what you were referring to.

Er, no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lewalix

Mar 26, 2019
Ireland
✟13,117.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys
1 Timothy 2:11-15 says women should be quiet.

Does it mean that women can't write books about christ or women can't have a youtube channel about bible teachings?

Thanks
Ellen g White was a woman and also a prophet she has many books written about Christ. If you never heard of her I would advise you to google her, her writings are very inspiring.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have.
1. Adam was commanded by God not to eat from the tree.
2. Eve was created.
3. We are not told that Eve was given the same direct command. She very likely heard it from Adam.
4. When the serpent said "DID God say .....?" she told him what she had heard, but she got it wrong.
5. Eve was deceived - suggesting that she wasn't sure what God had said so it was easier to trick her.
6. The serpent did not say "DID God say...... ?" to Adam because it knew perfectly well that Adam had heard God's command for himself. When someone knows a fact, it's not very likely that they can be tricked.
7. Being deceived is not wrong, or a sin.
8. If Eve was not sure, all the more reason for her to study, and learn, in silence. She was possibly distracted or talking to someone/thing. Maybe that's why Paul says "LET women learn .... in silence.... FOR Eve was deceived".

If you're saying that women cannot teach or preach because Eve was deceived, then neither can men because Adam was wilfully disobedient. Who wants a Minister who KNOWS what God wants and deliberately disobeys him?
Sorry lots of errors in your words here but busy now maybe later Lord willing I can answer your words here

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If any man desire the office of a bishop. It dies not say if any woman desire this.

Actually, it says Ei tis, "If anyone..." The word "man" is not there in Greek.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, it says Ei tis, "If anyone..." The word "man" is not there in Greek.
It is there and it says in the very next verse qualifying words to show the make role here

1 Timothy 3:1. This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;4. One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;5. (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Notice the words “man” and husband here the Greek fit husband is the meaning

a primary word (compare 444); a man (properly as an individual male):--fellow, husband, man, sir

Also the word man in vs one can mean man

As the Greek shows

“...-he that, if a(-ny) man('s thing, from any, ought), ...”

Last edited:
Upvote 0