Can the Sabbath be separated from the other nine commandments?

brixken7

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona
✟15,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
WRONG! If Jesus violated the Sabbath He would be a sinner. Are you calling Jesus a sinner? Jesus corrected all the man made regulations that were put on the Sabbath by religious man. He didn't make changes to the Sabbath nor did He change the day to another day. Watch my videos and learn how God's people have been deceived and how they got to where they are today.

Please reread my post, Maco.
I did NOT say that Christ personally broke the Sabbath.
In fact, Christ kept it perfectly -- FOR US.

But he plainly did "ANNUL" the Sabbath.

(Original Greek; John 5:18)

:clap:

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is way too much dishonor of our Lord here. Too much unholiness and hardness of heart. Too many stiff necked people. Too much rejection and denial of that which God calls holy and blessed. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear how far the people of God have fallen because of the long suffering and patience of our God.

Remember, Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath that you so adamantly reject and deny. Yes, the same Sabbath that will be honored in the millennium.

You do realize you get on people for breaking the Sabbath, but Leviticus 23 makes it extremely clear that the Sabbath and all 7 Feats Days are to be observed, yet you like many SDA's have every reasoning and excuse in the book to deny the biblical Feast days even though they are grouped together with the Sabbath in Lev 23, Numbers 28, and a few other places and can be proven that they were still being observed after the cross.

So you are just as guilty of dishonoring the Lord here as the Christians not keeping the Sabbath. Thank God no man will be justified by their observance of the law, and are covered by the blood of Jesus, or we would all be screwed in here.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the big problem with the Sabbath in America. America is modeled after Rome and for over 1800yrs, the day of rest has been designed for Sunday in Rome and here, so even if we did try to keep the Sabbath it would be very hard.

We work M-F mainly and if you need to run errands or go to the bank or get your car fixed, many businesses are closed on Sunday, because that is the way America is set up after all these years, just like many things are closed on Saturday in Israel.

Most people I know that keep the Sabbath dont have time for anything, as they work M-F, dont do any work on Saturday and are exhausted from their Sabbath keeping, so they actually rest on Sunday as well and do whatever they can do in the limited time some businesses are opened on Sunday.

Yes it has been proved the Sabbath was still being kept after the cross, but once the RCC made Sunday a mandatory day of rest history kinda followed that and it is what it is now and I think God will understand that. I could see if we all lived in Israel when everything is closed Saturday and more worship takes place on the Sabbath and we go out our way to ignore it, but we dont live in Israel.

Upvote 0

PapaBillyJr2

Mar 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
✟15,215.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The sabbath is for the law. We are not of the law. The law will be here when the church is removed. The law will be in the thousand year reign with Christ ruling from Jerusalem. But the church pays their tithes the first day of the week (1 Cor. 16:2). His disciples come together to break bread on the first day (Acts 20:7). The churches victory started on the first day (John 20:1; Luke 24:1; Mark 16:9, 16:2; Matt. 28:1). Jesus stood with His disciples on the first day (John 20:19).
Denying any of this is denying the churches existence. We know the law was created with Abraham, but the law is not the churches following. If so, why isn't anybody performing the feasts? Certain feast led up to their Sabbaths. Nobody is even doing it the way it was written to be done, including the Jews. If it is, then where are all the sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins so that they may participate in the Sabbath?

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Here is the big problem with the Sabbath in America. America is modeled after Rome and for over 1800yrs, the day of rest has been designed for Sunday in Rome and here, so even if we did try to keep the Sabbath it would be very hard.

We work M-F mainly and if you need to run errands or go to the bank or get your car fixed, many businesses are closed on Sunday, because that is the way America is set up after all these years, just like many things are closed on Saturday in Israel.

Most people I know that keep the Sabbath dont have time for anything, as they work M-F, dont do any work on Saturday and are exhausted from their Sabbath keeping, so they actually rest on Sunday as well and do whatever they can do in the limited time some businesses are opened on Sunday.

Yes it has been proved the Sabbath was still being kept after the cross, but once the RCC made Sunday a mandatory day of rest history kinda followed that and it is what it is now and I think God will understand that. I could see if we all lived in Israel when everything is closed Saturday and more worship takes place on the Sabbath and we go out our way to ignore it, but we dont live in Israel.

"It has been proved the Sabbath (day?) was still being kept after the cross"? Really? Kept by who? Proven so, where and by who?

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"It has been proved the Sabbath (day?) was still being kept after the cross"? Really? Kept by who? Proven so, where and by who?

Read the book of Acts and Colossians has examples as well.

Acts 13:42
42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue,[a] the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

-The gentiles begged to be preached to the the Sabbath

Acts 13:44
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

-The whole city came to hear the word on the Sabbath

Acts 15:21
21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

-This says they will learn more each Sabbath as they go along with the 4 basic recommendations that were just given to them

Acts 16:13
13 And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met there.
- Another example of meeting on the Sabbath

Acts 17:2
2 Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
- It was Paul's custom and he went to them on multiple Sabbaths

Acts 18:4
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

-Both Jew and Gentile meeting on the Sabbath

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

-This proves it was still being kept because there is no point in telling them not to let anyone judge them for keeping it if it wasnt being kept at all.

Like it or not, the Sabbath was a command of God that they kept before and after the cross. In the 1st century Christianity stated away for the Jews and as time grew on, started substituting things like Saturday with Sunday, Passover with Easter, Christmas and many more RCC traditions. I go to church on Sunday, but im not blind to why I do it anymore, its simply a 1800yr old tradition to meet together and praise God, but not something God command, but he will still honor.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Read the book of Acts and Colossians has examples as well.

Acts 13:42
42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue,[a] the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

-The gentiles begged to be preached to the the Sabbath

Acts 13:44
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

-The whole city came to hear the word on the Sabbath

Acts 15:21
21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

-This says they will learn more each Sabbath as they go along with the 4 basic recommendations that were just given to them

Acts 16:13
13 And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met there.
- Another example of meeting on the Sabbath

Acts 17:2
2 Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
- It was Paul's custom and he went to them on multiple Sabbaths

Acts 18:4
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

-Both Jew and Gentile meeting on the Sabbath

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

-This proves it was still being kept because there is no point in telling them not to let anyone judge them for keeping it if it wasnt being kept at all.

Like it or not, the Sabbath was a command of God that they kept before and after the cross. In the 1st century Christianity stated away for the Jews and as time grew on, started substituting things like Saturday with Sunday, Passover with Easter, Christmas and many more RCC traditions. I go to church on Sunday, but im not blind to why I do it anymore, its simply a 1800yr old tradition to meet together and praise God, but not something God command, but he will still honor.

There's nothing there about Christians "keeping" a sabbath day. They were sent to the Jews, and went to where and when the Jews gathered to preach the gospel of Grace to them. Try again.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing there about Christians "keeping" a sabbath day. They were sent to the Jews, and went to where and when the Jews gathered to preach the gospel of Grace to them. Try again.

There was no such thing as a Christian back then. That term was a name the pagans came up with to make fun of followers of Christ and eventually we just stuck with that term and kept it for the good. If gentiles were keeping the Sabbath that means "Christians" were to because they were considered gentiles.

The word Christian appears in the bible 3 times only. If Christians were so blessed to not have to keep Gods commands, dont you think Jesus would have said after my death a, new religion will form and they will call themselves Christians and they dont have to keep any of my fathers commands.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
There was no such thing as a Christian back then. That term was a name the pagans came up with to make fun of followers of Christ and eventually we just stuck with that term and kept it for the good. If gentiles were keeping the Sabbath that means "Christians" were to because they were considered gentiles.

The word Christian appears in the bible 3 times only. If Christians were so blessed to not have to keep Gods commands, dont you think Jesus would have said after my death a, new religion will form and they will call themselves Christians and they dont have to keep any of my fathers commands.

IOW your claim that it has been "proven" is bogus. Surprise, surprise.

Upvote 0
D

Devorim

It appeared to be a straightforward question. Have you addressed it to this point? Did I not address it in my first response? Did I give an uncertain response by saying that 4 applies to worship God and 6 applies to man....??

No, I hadn't. I guess the thought would never pass my mind that any one would be separated from the others, as I think of them as a set given by G-d, not to be either broken or broken up.

AND! Like other readers, I did not read through this properly, because I did not read that you had written, "Did I give an uncertain response by saying that 4 applies to worship God and 6 applies to man....??" Sorry! My misreading!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

Devorim

There is way too much dishonor of our Lord here. Too much unholiness and hardness of heart. Too many stiff necked people. Too much rejection and denial of that which God calls holy and blessed. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear how far the people of God have fallen because of the long suffering and patience of our God.

Remember, Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath that you so adamantly reject and deny. Yes, the same Sabbath that will be honored in the millennium.

Maco, After i left to get back to work, I realized that I may have been perceived as rude when I asked someone if the questions were difficult. I am sorry if that did come across as rude to you or anyone else here.

Upvote 0
D

Devorim

There is no ethnic people in Christ Jesus. I do not mean to deny anyone's heritage. Of course there are all sorts of ethnic heritages who are Christians. On the other hand Christians do not become Jews nor subject to the law issued at Sinai.

I absolutely agree with you that there are no ethnics in the Kingdom (and I mentioned that above) and that Christians do not become Jews, but of course, I cannot agree with the idea that believers don't have to do what G-d said to do. :)

Perhaps i should write not that "believers don't have to do what G-d said to do. :)" People can do whatever they want to do. But if one loves G-d, that one will want to obey Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Devorim

Yeah, i love to talk/write about G-d, His Torah, His Son, and all, but I am starting to get uncomfortable here. I fear that like most other threads, it's going to get mean.

May I request that if anyone want to question me, take me to task, jump all over me, kindly lead me to another truth, etc, they do it within the next two days -- by Thursday? Then I will likely leave this thread. I am far too old to intentionally vex my spirit with too much contention. :D I should just retire then go sit by the ocean and paint in watercolors while the gulls target my head. EEEEEWWWwwwww! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IOW your claim that it has been "proven" is bogus. Surprise, surprise.

Im sure it has by a RCC website that ignores all history before it took over the religion.

The word Christian is in the bible 3 times.
Acts 11:26
Act 26:28
1 Per 4:16

All research shows that they were called Followers of the Way, not Christians, so your whole claims of Christians get a separate set of commands from everyone using the argument of silence is unbiblical.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Im sure it has by a RCC website that ignores all history before it took over the religion.

The word Christian is in the bible 3 times.
Acts 11:26
Act 26:28
1 Per 4:16

All research shows that they were called Followers of the Way, not Christians, so your whole claims of Christians get a separate set of commands from everyone using the argument of silence is unbiblical.

Apparently, you are arguing with yourself.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think the problem I notice in this forum is the notion that somehow the Sabbath is different from the other nine commandments.

Most if not all Christian denominations support the 10 commandments or moral laws of the OT. This can be confirmed by looking at official creeds or statements.

One only has to listed to John Wesleys sermons about the Sabbath, to see he felt a Christian should observe the Sabbath, although he applied that to Sunday.

The story of Nehemiah restoring the walls of Jerusalem is a type of the end time restoration of the moral law of God. The holes made in the law need to be fixed.
<Staff Edit>

Those who oppose observance of the Sabbath, don't realise that they are going down the path of abolition of all the 10 Commandments, which would lead to anarchy in this world.

It has always been Satan's plan to destroy the law of God, to follow what he wanted to do in his own heart. Thus the children of rebellion do not wish to keep the law of God (Romans 8:6-7).

Another thing I've noticed is that people speak of the Sabbath as legalism, but perhaps they have never experienced a good Sabbath. My family opens the Sabbath together, we read the Bible and pray. Its a time we can talk together, have some special food. Then go to church the next day, perhaps a walk in nature after church. Its really a great blessing on the Sabbath. Unless you've experienced the Sabbath you don't know what your missing. Its a foretaste of heaven, and it is a time to draw closer to Jesus and trust in Him for salvation, and also remember that He is our Creator and Saviour.

This is why in Exodus 31:13 it says that the Sabbath is a sign that it is the Lord that makes us holy. We are saved by His grace, the Sabbath teaches us that, to rest in Him.
<Staff Edit>

James 2 says to break one is to break them all -

The Ten commandments can not be downsize/sliced-up etc.

So says D.L. Moody.

So says the RCC.

So says the Baptist Confession of Faith.

So says the Westminster Confession of Faith.

So says Christ in Matt 5.

No downsizing.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maco, After i left to get back to work, I realized that I may have been perceived as rude when I asked someone if the questions were difficult. I am sorry if that did come across as rude to you or anyone else here.

No, nothing you said was rude as far as I'm concerned. My post was in response to all the rejection and denial of truth without all the facts. It's like they deny for the sake of denying. I guess I have to expect it because God did day this would happen in the last days.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
James 2 says to break one is to break them all -

The Ten commandments can not be downsize/sliced-up etc.

So says D.L. Moody.

So says the RCC.

So says the Baptist Confession of Faith.

So says the Westminster Confession of Faith.

So says Christ in Matt 5.

No downsizing.

in Christ,

Bob

No slicing up scripture - apparently.

Upvote 0