Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Obviously not in Calvinism. But what about in other theologies, like those which teach single predestination? I think maybe the Lutherans believe in single predestination (correct me if I'm wrong). So, if God only elects for heaven but not for hell (I'm not saying this IS true, I'm saying IF it's true), is there hope for those not elected to heaven? Otherwise, what is the rationale for single predestination?

Here is an interesting eBook that you might find helpful~~~> https://d3uet6ae1sqvww.cloudfront.n...ds-choice-or-ours-predestination-election.pdf

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously not in Calvinism. But what about in other theologies, like those which teach single predestination? I think maybe the Lutherans believe in single predestination (correct me if I'm wrong). So, if God only elects for heaven but not for hell (I'm not saying this IS true, I'm saying IF it's true), is there hope for those not elected to heaven? Otherwise, what is the rationale for single predestination?

Bible says anyone can be saved. Bible says not everyone will be saved. Bible says God knows who is never going to be saved.

So God already knows who His elect are. The non- elect are simply leftovers going to hell.

Upvote 0

Alain Valdivia

“Domine miserere nobis. Parce nos in Christo.”
Jul 9, 2018
Cape Coral
✟25,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can the non-elect be saved? It depends on what you mean by “saved”? If what you mean is regeneration then yes, someone who is not elect can be saved. If it means final salvation, then no, those who are not elect cannot be saved in this sense.
Those who are elect are those believers who persevere in their faith and die in a state of grace. They persevere because God makes them persevere. He is the cause of their conversion and continuance in the faith. This is clear from texts such as John 6:39, “And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.” As well as John 10:28, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.” However, when it speaks of the security of these specific believers they are speaking of the elect who are not only predestined to be converted, but also to persevere and thus be finally saved. Yet there are those true believers who were not elected unto perseverance and through the prevalence of temptations, sins, hardships or persecutions they do not finish the race and fail lay hold of eternal life. I would point to Augustine who says, “He who falls [away], falls [away] by his own will; and he who stands, stands by God's will.”

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The non elect hate God and love idols. They don't want to be saved by a God as described by Calvin.

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The non elect hate God and love idols. They don't want to be saved by a God as described by Calvin.
I don’t think many people even know about a God as described by Calvin- I mean, Calvinism is controversy within Christianity but most of those outside of Christianity don’t study theology or doctrine. I also don’t know what it has to do with the OP.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think many people even know about a God as described by Calvin- I mean, Calvinism is controversy within Christianity but most of those outside of Christianity don’t study theology or doctrine. I also don’t know what it has to do with the OP.
You need to understand Calvinism from how sinful people are. In essence, there is none righteous. no not one.

“Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,” Romans 1:30 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The non-elect are the people who will not accept God's invitation in John 3:16, and those who will fall away from the faith (1 John 2:19) and not return and stay (John 21:15-22). Therefore, no. Do we know who they really are? Not while they're still breathing, as long as a lost person lives, they may come to Christ or return to Christ.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's through God's elect, that the rest of mankind is bought into the kingdom. So yes, the non-elect will be saved.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe Reformed theology/Calvinism is correct and I assume that you don't like its answers regarding who is saved and how.

That is not a problem unless you spend the rest of your life on forums questioning Calvinism. Instead, be practical:
--Share the gospel with everyone.
--Encourage everyone to be faithful to the end.
--Pray and hope for the salvation of everyone.
Whatever the results and regardless of Calvinism, God will be pleased with you.

Reactions: Emsmom1
Upvote 0