• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can someone go to heaven if they commit suidice?

Can someone go to heaven after suicide?

• Total voters

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟977,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If he believed in Jesus Christ, there is no reason to think he is deemed unsaved at death and condemned. There just isn't ample evidence that Scripture teaches suicide is automatically unforgivable and not covered by Christ's blood even if the person who killed himself was a believer.

Denominations who may teach otherwise are just being judgmental and heartless.

Reactions: Robin Mauro
Upvote 0

RichardY

Holotheist. Whig. Monarchical Modalism.
Apr 11, 2019
Spalding
✟16,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
@DevinCamary I'm sorry to hear that. It would depend on the circumstances of how they lived.

Personally I think the Eastern Orthodox view is correct, that God has a presence in all of creation.

Psalm 139:8 "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there."

Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am asking this because a childhood friend killed himself. I believe he was a Christian. But... I still worry...
Devin suicide is decided apon for many different reasons. As with the Jewish people’s of Masada or Magna Goebels with herself and her children there in the bunker with the enemy at the gates. Or with many Asian cultures it is also a strongly held tradition to fall apon one’s sword than to fall into enemy hands. Often suicide happens because of depression or one’s feeling of self worth along with terminal illness and many other reasons as well. Many Christians have done so. I’m sure they are all much loved and cherished by our Lord. After all this is Satan’s kingdom and it’s not a very nice place .

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I am asking this because a childhood friend killed himself. I believe he was a Christian. But... I still worry...

Question: "If a Christian commits suicide, is he/she still saved? If a Christian commits suicide, will he/she be sent to hell?"

Answer:
It is a sad fact that some Christians have committed suicide. Adding to the tragedy is the false teaching that committing suicide automatically consigns one to hell. Many believe that a Christian who commits suicide will not be saved. This teaching is not supported in the Bible.

Scripture teaches that, from the moment we truly believe in Christ, we are guaranteed eternal life (John 3:16). According to the Bible, Christians can know beyond any doubt that they possess eternal life (1 John 5:13). Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38–39). No “created thing” can separate a Christian from God’s love, and even a Christian who commits suicide is a “created thing”; therefore, not even suicide can separate a Christian from God’s love. Jesus died for all of our sins, and if a true Christian, in a time of spiritual attack and weakness, commits suicide, his sin is still covered by the blood of Christ.

According to the Bible, suicide is not what determines whether a person gains entrance into heaven. If an unsaved person commits suicide, he has done nothing but “expedite” his journey to hell. However, that person who committed suicide will ultimately be in hell for rejecting salvation through Christ, not because he committed suicide (see John 3:18). We should also point out, however, that no one truly knows what was happening in a person’s heart the moment he or she died. Some people have “deathbed conversions” and accept Christ in the moments before death. It is possible that a person who commits suicide could have a last-second change of heart and cry out for God’s mercy. We leave such judgments to God (1 Samuel 16:7).

The suicide of a believer is evidence that anyone can struggle with despair and that our enemy, Satan, is “a murderer from the beginning” (John 8:44). Suicide is still a serious sin against God. According to the Bible, suicide is murder; it is always wrong. Christians are called to live their lives for God, and the decision of when to die is God’s and God’s alone.

May God grant grace and the psalmist’s perspective to each one who is facing trials today: “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God” (Psalm 43:5).

www.gotquestions.org/Christian-suicide-saved.html

Reactions: Kate30
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟77,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
John 15
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Does a Christian choose to walk away from His love and the joy He promises?

Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
John 15
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

I can’t remember anyone ever keeping all of God’s commandments, all except our blessed Lord. God did first love us and we did not first love him.

Reactions: Von20207777
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟77,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1 John 1
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Hopelessness or fear that God won't help us doesn't make sense if we have faith in God.

"Thy rod and thy staff comfort me."

The Holy Spirit doesn't lead a Christian to suicide. We have HOPE.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟77,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I can’t remember anyone ever keeping all of God’s commandments, all except our blessed Lord. God did first love us and we did not first love him.
See my last post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1 John 1
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Hopelessness or fear that God won't help us doesn't make sense if we have faith in God.

"Thy rod and thy staff comfort me."

The Holy Spirit doesn't lead a Christian to suicide. We have HOPE.
Phoebe I did read your post. So what is your view of Christians who commit suicide. Do they belong to our Lord or not ? That was the original question of the post.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I believe so. "I wIll have mercy on who I have mercy."
I have a friend who did that too, in highschool. She had been sexually assaulted by two different step fathers. She was a believer too. I believe she is with God now

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟77,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Phoebe I did read your post. So what is your view of Christians who commit suicide. Do they belong to our Lord or not ? That was the original question of the post.

Christians don't commit suicide and they continue to trust God.

John 15

Isaiah 26
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Psalm 23
1 {A Psalm of David.} The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

1 John 5
1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith...

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure you can, this kind of depression sinks in and shuts down normal sensibilities. Basically when he did it he wasn't in his right mind. When suicide councilors on hot lines are talking to a suicidal person they ask a series of questions. Are you thinking about suicide, do you have a plan and have you taken a substantial step? If they answer yes to all three they are supposed to hang up. Too many people have set there and listened while someone died and never got over it.

I don't know what happened to your friend but clinical depression is as dangerous as heart disease or cancer. Once in the throes of this kind of depression they are very hard to reach. At one time in the United States the leading cause of death among adolescents was suicide, something that hold true in the UK for middle age white men to this day.

I guess you could consider suicide a sin, I don't know, but is that helpful. It makes more sense to look for the signs: withdrawn, dilated, giving personal items away. It has stages and there is nothing really stopping you from falling into this kind of depression. If you know what's happening to you, you can get some help before it's too late.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟212,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Can a Christian who commits suicide go to Heaven? I'd say yes but I'd say God would tell them it wasn't his perfect will to do such. God however is not trying to keep people out of Heaven he's trying to get them in. People can be sick in their heads or minds at times the same as they can be sick in their body. Would you not make heaven your home if you had a stomach ache? Of course not. I think the same thing can apply mentally as well as physically. God understands.

Upvote 0

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One other reason I asked... I'm severely depressed. In the bible, it seems that its better to die than to be a survivor of sexual harassment... and virginity means purity, and that those who arent virgin should be unmarried and stoned... and that includes victims of rape and sexual harassment. Just, it seems like God wants rape victims to suffer, sees them as evil, impure, should be killed, maybe sent to hell, punished for something that happened against them.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christians don't commit suicide and they continue to trust God.

John 15

Isaiah 26
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Psalm 23
1 {A Psalm of David.} The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

1 John 5
1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith...

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
You say ( Christians don’t commit suicide and they continue to trust in God ) Phoebe most of us have known a few sisters and brothers in the Lord that are no longer with us due to suicide.I always have warm memories of them all. They be at peace.No one can hurt them anymore.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟77,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You say ( Christians don’t commit suicide and they continue to trust in God ) Phoebe most of us have known a few sisters and brothers in the Lord that are no longer with us due to suicide.I always have warm memories of them all. They be at peace.No one can hurt them anymore.

God knows those who belong to Him. Give me a Bible verse of a Christian who took his own life.

Upvote 0

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God knows those who belong to Him. Give me a Bible verse of a Christian who took his own life.
So someone who was sexually harassed, feels worthless, tries finding if God sees them as virgin or if the rape didnt take their virginity at all, find nothing helpful and nothing but debates, and now feels absolutely worthless and done with this life, but also believes in Jesus and wants to go to heaven to hopefully be happy again and the assault undone. People like that dont count as christian...?

Last edited:
Upvote 0