Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Typical justifical of evil by those who don’t care to support righteousness and wont admit the truth. I made points that can not be denied but those who prefer not to care to pursue what is right to defend their beliefs seek to justify themselves. No marriage is invalid even if it was in error if person does not seek to stop one from practicing the faith or children. If they feel is harmful can separate but can not remarry. Such people outside the faith are not excused for they are still responsible to God but they should not do it as it is sin.

opinion and personal feeling don't count as "points that can not be denied".

I would like to point out that in my original post I never said that anyone had to agree with me. I never said my view was the only possible view.

The most that I said was "there is good reason to think that this is true". Everything I said was based on scripture.

Yet you have called me dishonest and evil, while offering nothing except your insistence that it MUST mean adultery is acceptable... because reasons and love!

No marriage is invalid even if it was in error

I seriously hope that you just haven't thought this through. Because this claim is just absurdly wrong.

Is a child marriage valid? is it valid if a brother marries a sister? Can a father validly marry his daughter? Is a marriage valid if a woman is kidnapped and forced to marry a man at gun point? How about a nephew marrying his aunt? or a son marrying his father's wife? or a brother marrying his brother's wife? Would it be valid if one person married another person who was in a coma?

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,430.00
Faith
Christian
Also the catholic church now is different than the church before that if they were true it would have taught the truth from the beginning but now they try to gain a following because they know their beliefs are absurd having in the past never taught that they know the fate of those who are far from a church what they must do if they are far from a church and poor that they cant travel to be baptised and have communion especially as it is absurd because they may need to go back to their land and unless they become priests they can not have communion often. Yet Jesus told the samaritan woman that you need not a place to worship but the catholic and orthodox church did in the past say they do not know so have no authority. And they still sometimes teach they dont know. So you do not well to defend a church that makes others question their salvation.

Your church is also useless to help those near death who live where there are catholic churches ar night time when church is closed but there are priests but who are unwilling to travel to give them last rites which also may be new invention that there was no such thing told by church fathers about last rites but judgment was left to God what effort they made to see priest to be baptised and have communion if you cant be catechumen that you cant know if one made enough effort with enough priests or they may not come in time to give it that since you dont know when you die you have to make effort but you dont know if you made enough effort. They even taught because of considering augustine that they dont know if babies who die unbaptised do not go to hell for augustine said we should not give hope that babies who are unbaptised are in a middle place neither heaven nor hell and was assuming they are not going to heaven to assume they may be in hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is obvious I clearly meant marriages by adults which does not involve adultery you seek to side track with ideas that are irrelevant because you know you cant answer back convincingly

No. This is the whole point.

You say "all marriages are valid" and then you say "well obviously I meant only marriages between consenting adults" but that is not "all marriages" which is the point.

Marriages happen which are invalid. Those "marriages" can be dissolved without sin because they were never valid in the first place.

In any case, I've had my say and I grow tired of your slander.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 1st Corinthians 7:13-16 he says that if a Christian is married to a non-believer they should not divorce unless the non-believer refuses to live with them. He further goes on to say that the believing spouse makes the unbelieving spouse holy and ask the question, how do you know that you won't save your unbelieving spouse?

If it were inherently sinful, he could not have told them to remain married, nor said that good things could come from the marriage.
Thank you. In that passage perhaps it is addressing the issue of an existing marriage where one partner accepts the Lord but the other partner does not. 2 Corinthians 6:14 perhaps addresses the different context of the issue of a believer seeking a marriage partner, they should not seek marriage with a pagan. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. In that passage perhaps it is addressing the issue of an existing marriage where one partner accepts the Lord but the other partner does not. 2 Corinthians 6:14 perhaps addresses the different context of the issue of a believer seeking a marriage partner, they should not seek marriage with a pagan. God Bless :)
Yes. I think that is unquestionably correct.

However, if being married to a pagan was inherently sinful, then Paul could not have advised one to stay in that situation. Thus I would argue that warning against marrying unbelievers is speaking in terms of prudence, as in it is unwise in most cases, not in terms of a moral command.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,430.00
Faith
Christian
It is sinful he said to widows they only have permission to marry in the Lord. The reason it is commanded not to divorce after marriage is for the sake of the spouse that you married not to feel you cheated them by marrying them that no one else may marry and because they like you it may be they will change after but not a fact but it is commanded as a sin.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟68,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes. I think that is unquestionably correct.

However, if being married to a pagan was inherently sinful, then Paul could not have advised one to stay in that situation. Thus I would argue that warning against marrying unbelievers is speaking in terms of prudence, as in it is unwise in most cases, not in terms of a moral command.
There are 10 Moral Commands and the other 603 O.T. "commands" are man-made and Yashua thinks so little of them He didn't comment much.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,430.00
Faith
Christian
You have to know the word of God to know how not to be deceived by error. These verses below show it is a right to divorce for adultery but it is better to forgive that is christian virtue if person realises he made a mistake. I was touched by the movie the blind on pureflix.

Job 31:9
”If my heart has been enticed by a woman,
Or if I have lurked at my neighbor’s door,
10 Then let my wife grind for another,
And let others bow down over her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have to know the word of God to know how not to be deceived by error. These verses below show it is a right to divorce for adultery but it is better to forgive that is christian virtue if person realises he made a mistake. I was touched by the movie the blind on pureflix.

Job 31:9
”If my heart has been enticed by a woman,
Or if I have lurked at my neighbor’s door,
10 Then let my wife grind for another,
And let others bow down over her.
But is remarriage OK in such a case, for the one who did not commit the adultery?

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I showed you but you dont want to accept what is plain for your own prejudice that Job is supporting if he cheated he would accept his wife to go for another which he would not if he had a right to remain.
Have you mistaken me for another?
I just now responded for the first time since my responce soon after this thread began.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,430.00
Faith
Christian
You said where can I show in scripture and I quoted the book of Job which also is used in support to show it is probably what Jesus meant when He said below in Matthew 19:9 . Unless I misunderstood that you really wanted another verse that you really wanted to know by asking if it is ok for the one who did not commit adultery and not just to question it. Or if you wanted to know according to scripture if it is preferrable not to marry one who was married it is just what I think since the bible sees as virtue forgiveness.

Matthew 19:9
And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said where can I show in scripture and I quoted the book of Job which also is used in support to show it is probably what Jesus meant when He said below in Matthew 19:9 . Unless I misunderstood that you really wanted another verse that you really wanted to know by asking if it is ok for the one who did not commit adultery and not just to question it

Matthew 19:9
And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.
I see now. That is the only clear verse I have found that permits remarriage if the spouse committed adultery.
Can you give me another?

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll be upfront.
45 years ago my wife had an affair. Neither of us was saved. I was unaware of the adultery, she'd told me she was just dating him and there was no sex.
I became a born again Christian and about 5 months later she also became a Christian.
She brought our pastor home one day and confessed to having had sex with the guy.
I was gutted. Never had I been so deeply affected by anything like that.
I began to notice that Jesus was tugging at my heart as if to say, "Bill, you know this is too heavy for you. Give it to me. Let me carry it for you. I will bring My will to pass".
I'm paraphrasing because I did not actually hear His voice, just a sense that I was understanding His thoughts.
To say it was too much for me was an understatement, if He will pardon my saying so. That was the most traumatic moment I had ever experienced. I honestly did not think a human being could endure that much trauma and survive.
I have clung to that moment for over 45 years and today still, as she told me later that day when the paster had left, that she did not want to be my wife.
She has told me a number of times since that she doesn't want to be my wife.
I'm still waiting for God to speak to me as to what He wants me to do, so I continue to abide by what I believe He was asking of me.
She's been angry at me all these years because I won't divorce her and I've told her if she wants out to go and I'd make things easy for her, but she remains married to me. She had filed for divorce before admitting to the adultery and on the day came to sign the final papers I signed them without even reading the conditions. We had 2 children at the time.
I don't know what to do. I feel like if I divorce her that I will let Jesus down because He communicated to me so very gently and I just held on and waited.
Now she tells me that I'm just using that as an excuse not to divorce her.
I'm not using anything as an excuse. I truly believe He spoke to my heart without speaking verbally.
To an onlooker, perhaps it would seem to be the kindest thing to do.
But I am not concerned with how others see this. I want to be pleasing to Jesus.
I'll leaving it up to others here to give their opinions on this.
I just know 45 years of this has taken a tremendous toll on both her and I as well as our, now, 3 kids, 8 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids.
I'd appreciate opinions from members. I just don't know anymore.

Upvote 0