Can marriage ever be a sin if both are Christian

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟578,147.00
Faith
Christian
The bible says as it was in the days of Noah they were marrying and giving in marriage and did not know until the flood came and took them all away so it will be when the son of man returns

In the days of Noah marriage was a sin because sons of God married daughters of men that is the non spiritual people

I thought marriage is never a sin if person is Christian as Paul said he who marries has not sinned but such will have trouble in the flesh

But could it be a sin if the other person possibility may not be a true Christian if they are not of similar background to atleast be born in Christian family though it is possible one is a Christian if one is not

What other situations is it a sin ?

But how can it take them by surprise if Christ will come after the tribulation do you think some will not even believe they are in the tribulation because how then can it take them by surprise ?

My dad says when Paul says in the last days people will forbid marriage it means because people will live together without getting married I don’t think however it is necessary to get married and have kids you may not raise in God if one is not spiritual but this means people should not sin and if they do they must repent

I am convinced now that I should not marry because it may not work out my father thought it was good for me though I don’t have to and my grandfather
my dads father told me before he died he wanted me to get married but my father said I don’t have to listen to him if I thought it was good and I was able to do something for the Lord I would think to get married but I think being single is being more profitable for the Lord the barren has more children than one who is married because you should not make people feel they have to get married which being single is maybe more safe and good for some and you don’t know if you will meet one suitable

unless I am convinced being married is good if I meet one suitable I don’t think I should get married

Last edited:

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The bible says as it was in the days of Noah they were marrying and giving in marriage and did not know until the flood came and took them all away so it will be when the son of man returns

In the days of Noah marriage was a sin because sons of God married daughters of men that is the non spiritual people

I thought marriage is never a sin if person is Christian as Paul said he who marries has not sinned but such will have trouble in the flesh

But could it be a sin if the other person possibility may not be a true Christian if they are not of similar background to atleast be born in Christian family though it is possible one is a Christian if one is not

But how can it take them by surprise if Christ will come after the tribulation do you think some will not even believe they are in the tribulation because how then can it take them by surprise ?

My dad says when Paul says in the last days people will forbid marriage it means because people will live together without getting married I don’t think however it is necessary to get married and have kids you may not raise in God if one is not spiritual but this means people should not sin and if they do they must repent

I am convinced now that I should not marry because it may not work out my father thought it was good for me though I don’t have to and my grandfather
my dads father told me before he died he wanted me to get married but my father said I don’t have to listen to him if I thought it was good and I was able to do something for the Lord I would think to get married but I think being single is being more profitable for the Lord the barren has more children than one who is married because you should not make people feel they have to get married which being single is maybe more safe and good for some and you don’t know if you will meet one suitable

unless I am convinced being married is good if I meet one suitable I don’t think I should get married
I have heard the advice of several wise men concerning marriage, who say the same thing about taking on a pastorate: Don't do it unless you simply have to> like Paul says, "But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

Paul says, "1 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:
It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. 7For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that."

Notice there that Paul admits this is HIS thinking, and not by commandment from God, like the other Scriptures. Paul was a very practical man.

Notice also that there are certain duties mentioned in that passage that don't fit well into current Christian thinking. The day may come that you will wish you had never married, and the only reason you are grateful for it is because God knows what he is doing.

My advice? --be very very careful. Oh yeah, and take a look at her mother.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟578,147.00
Faith
Christian
As long as it is a Christian man and a Christian woman with no living spouses or ex-spouses, marriage between the two will not be sinful, strictly speaking. But it's not always wise.

in my opinion it is not a sin to remarry if person cheats but it is better to remain married if person is truly willing to reconcile and live in peace but if one doesn’t one should choose to remain single if one can but it is not required by Jesus I think because I don’t think Jesus would make people be restricted so as to encourage sin but one should make the choice to care for one partner so I don’t think that is regarded as sin if you are not doing the best as I think one has freedom so as to encourage a person to stay with partner and reconcile. But I could be wrong and it is a sin but in that case how would one who remarried wilfully repent ? Because people do not know it is definitely a sin it would seem unfair for them to not have chance to repent of it. If one remarries is he supposed to leave his current partner too ? Especially if one has kids. Perhaps it is a sin and it can be judged but how do you suppose those who have time to repent of such sin repent if they have kids ? Jesus says cheating breaks marriage union between 2 people because people are not God to know if they should accept if person is truly repentant (because unlike man God is not affected on earth if person does not repent or unlike God person does not know if person truly loves the other or will) it was a mistake one has duty to forgive as God does and it is better to stay together but one has freedom not to trust but God always seeks to restore one relationship

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
in my opinion it is not a sin to remarry if person cheats but it is better to remain married if person is truly willing to reconcile and live in peace but if one doesn’t one should choose to remain single if one can but it is not required by Jesus I think because I don’t think Jesus would make people be restricted so as to encourage sin but one should make the choice to care for one partner so I don’t think that is regarded as sin if you are not doing the best as I think one has freedom so as to encourage a person to stay with partner and reconcile. But I could be wrong and it is a sin but in that case how one would who remarried wilfully repent ?
Good question. It's important to remember in the context of sinful relationships, that are relationships that are both illicit and invalid, and then there are valid relationship that were merely established or advanced illicitly.

If the relationship is both illicit and invalid, such as an adulterous affair, you have to end that immediately.

If someone married illicitly but the union is still valid - such as a believer choosing to marry an unbeliever, or marrying someone that your parents don't like as a way to spite them, or drunkenly eloping with someone you just met, then you don't end the relationship. You're just in the awkward position of having to confess and renounce a significant milestone in that relationship.

Best to not do either, of course. But I am picky about who I would marry, if I don't begin an adulterous relationship, I don't have to repent of it. I do not want to be on the wrong side of that, so when I'm considering whom to date, I submit myself to Matthew 5:32. If the ex still lives, then I'm not going to proceed.

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is a sin to blame religion for the natural human reluctance to get married. Don't use religion as an excuse. If you are not ready to get married, don't get married--but DON'T blame God for your decision. Human marriage represents perhaps the highest human institution there is on earth. This relationship offers tremendous opportunity for self-sacrifice and meaningful spiritual growth. God desires that we enter into such relationships because our purpose here on earth is to gain experiences--experiences that will be useful for the work God has for us in the future. While we are on earth, we should strive to gain as much experience as we can. Lessons we fail to learn here, must still be learned. But marriage requires a degree of maturity to be successful. The failure of marriages often results when one or both partners lack sufficient maturity to handle the responsibilities involved.

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Paul simply wrote, "There is no sin in marriage."

Sometimes let the simple things guide you to peace and trust in God.

I always advise people to ask God if it is what he wants because it is what I did. It does not make marriage easier but it does help you to be more committed. Most of us like to do what God wants.

I will say this because it is true. I have 4 brothers and my marriage is the only one my dad truly blessed.

I have been married over 40 years now and I still love being in the will of God. I encourage all to it. Its a fantastic way to live.

I do caution marrying an unbeliever. It is not advisable.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟578,147.00
Faith
Christian
It is a sin to blame religion for the natural human reluctance to get married. Don't use religion as an excuse. If you are not ready to get married, don't get married--but DON'T blame God for your decision. Human marriage represents perhaps the highest human institution there is on earth. This relationship offers tremendous opportunity for self-sacrifice and meaningful spiritual growth. God desires that we enter into such relationships because our purpose here on earth is to gain experiences--experiences that will be useful for the work God has for us in the future. While we are on earth, we should strive to gain as much experience as we can. Lessons we fail to learn here, must still be learned. But marriage requires a degree of maturity to be successful. The failure of marriages often results when one or both partners lack sufficient maturity to handle the responsibilities involved.

It is wrong to blame God for not being allowed to marry one should be content but it is true that marriage may not be best for a person who is not ready to fullfill the responsibilities of marriage and not good if he has not shown preparedness but I suppose if he is able the fault is on him if he won’t do it but he is not the best for marriage if he is not able though no sin because you would be judged if you do not fulfill your duties so it is not a sin but it could not be good if one is really not ready.
But even if he is ready is he not excused to not really want to because the bible says it is better not to get married for the barren has more children than one who is married. Because of having responsibility over children and if you are not one who has found the Lord which you could not if you are married if you don’t seek the Lord but if you don’t you are responsible of children too in which Jesus says in that day they will say blessed are the wombs which never bore

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No lawful marriage can ever be sin. Ill-advised perhaps, but not sin.
I have not spent much time thinking about this but, when people get married they are entering into a covenant making promises and expecting blessings from God. If one of those people is telling a lie and for example has no intention of being faithful to their spouse, would that not be a sin, effectively they have attempted to deceive God. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it is not a sin but it could not be good if one is really not ready.
"Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14)

This is included in how to relate in marriage. I would say no one is perfectly ready to relate like this, all the time in marriage. But in marriage we can grow more and get more correction so we become more and more mature in how to relate "without" arguing or complaining.

And whether we marry or not, still God expects all of us to relate without complaining and arguing. And it is good to grow in this, seek Him for correction, so this can help us to do well in marriage, in case we do get married.

Also > our Apostle Paul gives what are qualifications in order for a man to be considered to be ordained as a bishop > 1 Timothy 3:1-10 > this includes he has a wife. I think he needs to have a Christian woman who has helped him become qualified, and then she helps him care for God's people. People need example couples to help us get more real with God and to learn how to relate in a close relationship.

Even if we do not get married, still our Father has us discovering how to relate as family. And married Christians have experience in relating in close family sharing and caring. So, they can help celibates, while celibates help married people get more intimate with God.

when people get married they are entering into a covenant making promises and expecting blessings from God.
God has made His promises. And we can be boasting what we vow and guarantee and promise. So, I consider it might not be so wise to make vows. What could matter more, in any case, is how a relationship is developing and growing.

Ones young and not very mature might vow to love each other, but what does love mean to them, in their younger age? God means "without complaining and disputing" (in Philippians 2:14), and "submitting to one another in the fear of God" (Ephesians 5:21), and "swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (in James 1:19). And we have other scripture about how to relate in love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14)

This is included in how to relate in marriage. I would say no one is perfectly ready to relate like this, all the time in marriage. But in marriage we can grow more and get more correction so we become more and more mature in how to relate "without" arguing or complaining.

And whether we marry or not, still God expects all of us to relate without complaining and arguing. And it is good to grow in this, seek Him for correction, so this can help us to do well in marriage, in case we do get married.

Also > our Apostle Paul gives what are qualifications in order for a man to be considered to be ordained as a bishop > 1 Timothy 3:1-10 > this includes he has a wife. I think he needs to have a Christian woman who has helped him become qualified, and then she helps him care for God's people. People need example couples to help us get more real with God and to learn how to relate in a close relationship.

Even if we do not get married, still our Father has us discovering how to relate as family. And married Christians have experience in relating in close family sharing and caring. So, they can help celibates, while celibates help married people get more intimate with God.

God has made His promises. And we can be boasting what we vow and guarantee and promise. So, I consider it might not be so wise to make vows. What could matter more, in any case, is how a relationship is developing and growing.

Ones young and not very mature might vow to love each other, but what does love mean to them, in their younger age? God means "without complaining and disputing" (in Philippians 2:14), and "submitting to one another in the fear of God" (Ephesians 5:21), and "swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (in James 1:19). And we have other scripture about how to relate in love.
OK very interesting but what constitutes a marriage ceremony as far as you are concerned

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God could choose to create perfect creatures--completely incapable of sin. Yet, here we are...perhaps the very definition of imperfection. WHY are we here? And especially--why are the "very hairs on our heads counted"? God has demonstrated that there is great value in the human race, so what is it that we contribute in value--in contrast to a being created in instant perfection? The answer to that question is clearly "experience". The experiences of life compel the immature spirit to make choices--choices that provide opportunity for spiritual growth. Marriage provides an excellent environment to gain essential experience on many levels. A willful choice of celibacy may provide greater time opportunity for scholarly study, but does not necessarily bring one closer to God. To maximize the human opportunity for growth, a balance of experiences is required.

There are plenty of good reasons to not get married or to put off getting married until a later time. However, here are some BAD reasons to reject marriage:

1. Fear of rejection in relationship.
2. Desire to avoid employment responsibilities.
3. Desire to avoid work of raising children.
4. Desire to avoid the responsibility of protection and welfare of spouse.
5. Desire to avoid financial burdens of supporting spouse and family.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟578,147.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks but people are not obliged to get married it is their choice. Marriage is not better than singleness. A single person can be more devoted to the Lord’s things and Jesus said there are eunuch’s who have made themselves eunuch for the kingdom of heaven sake that is to serve the Lord things and not to be responsible if one fails to lead one family right though the children are still responsible for themselves they could save themselves but less likely for them to help their children their children will have to save themselves

One should not get married if one is not sure he wants to get married to look after a family or does not want to bear the burden if he maybe fails to do so or and if one does not want to have responsibility of raising people also but just to save himself. Or if one was in error to marry one for which the other had no intention for marriage to work

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK very interesting but what constitutes a marriage ceremony as far as you are concerned
one that doesn't have me dictating how someone else gets married :) They are marrying each other, not me!

But I pray about if and how God would have me make vows. Most of all, for marriage, I think God puts two people together, if He does; and so He is the One committed, and we discover all He has decided to do . . . better than I could promise or vow. So, what this would look like in a ceremony, I don't know.
In 1 Corinthians chapter 7, Paul talks about how it can be good for a man to get married. I see the possibility that the Jesus people can simply see who belongs together. And if two get with each other, they understand they are obligated to stay with each other.

Maybe for one example of it being a family understood thing, it is possible that Rebecca was brought to Isaac, and they simply got together.

So, I see there may not be a ceremony, but simply an understanding as a relationship develops . . . or an arrangement is done, like with Isaac and Rebecca. Abraham did things by faith, maybe that can be all there is to it.

But if a culture has a pronouncement and/or celebration and/or legal certification, I think we Christians tend to do what is cultural, except we have Christian singing and preaching and counseling.

I think there can be couples who belong with each other, but they stay celibate. And everyone knows about them. We who are God's children can have understanding as family.

• Informative
Reactions: mikeforjesus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have not spent much time thinking about this but, when people get married they are entering into a covenant making promises and expecting blessings from God. If one of those people is telling a lie and for example has no intention of being faithful to their spouse, would that not be a sin, effectively they have attempted to deceive God. What are your thoughts?

A marriage procured by deliberate deception is not a valid marriage.

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One should not get married if one is not sure he wants to get married to look after a family or does not want to bear the burden if he maybe fails to do so or and if one does not want to have responsibility of raising people also but just to save himself. Or if one was in error to marry one for which the other had no intention for marriage to work

It is very true that if one has not learned to be responsible, entering into marriage would certainly be taking on obligations a person is unlikely to be able to fulfill or endure. But, failure to learn and demonstrate responsible traits is not a good thing. Learning responsible behavior is a major requirement and yardstick for spiritual growth. I'm not saying that a person MUST get married. Certainly, a single person could gain equal experiences through employment in child care, teaching in schools (as far as children are concerned), and in social service of others through church or other community volunteer work. The issue of spiritual growth should not be neglected though. The question should be--what motivates the decision to NOT marry (assuming the right partner and otherwise favorable circumstances). If the answer to the question is simply laziness--the desire to avoid the burden of obligations and work, then there is a serious problem.

• Informative
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought marriage is never a sin if person is Christian as Paul said he who marries has not sinned but such will have trouble in the flesh.

A Christian is a person who has given their life to Christ.
Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Their family background doesn't matter. They could have come out of a family with a different religion, no religion or a family of convicted felons. Once saved they become part of God's family.

1 John 3
3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!

If one person is a born again Christian and the other is not, than they are unequally yoked.
2 Corinthians 6:14
14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Probably if they are being forced to marry against their will. An arranged marriage that one or both don't want. I can't think of any other reason that a marriage would be sinful.

Some people are called to be single that may or may not change for you. If you are called to be single and celibate thank God for that because that is what is best for you. If one day he calls you to be married, thank him for that.

Romans 8:28

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟578,147.00
Faith
Christian
It is very true that if one has not learned to be responsible, entering into marriage would certainly be taking on obligations a person is unlikely to be able to fulfill or endure. But, failure to learn and demonstrate responsible traits is not a good thing. Learning responsible behavior is a major requirement and yardstick for spiritual growth. I'm not saying that a person MUST get married. Certainly, a single person could gain equal experiences through employment in child care, teaching in schools (as far as children are concerned), and in social service of others through church or other community volunteer work. The issue of spiritual growth should not be neglected though. The question should be--what motivates the decision to NOT marry (assuming the right partner and otherwise favorable circumstances). If the answer to the question is simply laziness--the desire to avoid the burden of obligations and work, then there is a serious problem.

Agree but I think marriage is sometimes a sin because whatever is not of faith is sin so a person should only be marrying if they are absolutely sure they are most ready to fullfill duties and God has given them desire because it could then not be their gift yet but they will find it harder to be saved as married person until they are ready to accept that way of life which they may not yet trust it. Because they have desire for the single life and they want to be single to win more to the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟578,147.00
Faith
Christian
A Christian is a person who has given their life to Christ.
Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Their family background doesn't matter. They could have come out of a family with a different religion, no religion or a family of convicted felons. Once saved they become part of God's family.

1 John 3
3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!

If one person is a born again Christian and the other is not, than they are unequally yoked.

2 Corinthians 6:14
14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Probably if they are being forced to marry against their will. An arranged marriage that one or both don't want. I can't think of any other reason that a marriage would be sinful.

Some people are called to be single that may or may not change for you. If you are called to be single and celibate thank God for that because that is what is best for you. If one day he calls you to be married, thank him for that.

Romans 8:28

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

I agree I did not mean to marry a person who is Christian from similar background who is not truly Christian having relationship with God but ideally you should not marry from a different culture if their family is antichristian and not likely to change though it is permissible if you are sure person has found God but it is not wise

Last edited:
Upvote 0