Can "Logismoi" also include involuntary physical feelings caused by demonic spirits ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
*** You Are In The Eastern Orthodox Forum ***

• Logismoi - is a term used to describe assaultive or tempting thoughts.

But I wanted to ask can Logismoi also include involuntary and assaultive physical feelings caused by demonic spirits ?

Also, what are some Orthodox Christian ways to combat these assaults ?

Last edited:

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Drinking Holy Water, Making the Sign of The Cross, Praying, Listening to Orthodox Hymns, Asking Theotokos and All The Saints to pray for us, Reading The Bible and reading The Holy Fathers all help.

I also had my priest come over for a house blessing recently.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Logismoi, thoughts that is (good or bad) manifest in the mind. Feelings manifest in the heart and can be further divided into lustful feelings, which have to do with our desiring part or feelings related to anger and therefore linked with the incentive (or exciting) part. Each can excite the other so there's not one simple source of the other. Demons can easily implant thoughts as well as stir our body with feelings of either kind, especially when we don't have our passions under control.

As for dealing with them, St Isaac said it best (short and concise):

The incentive part of your soul, bridle with love, the desiring wither away with abstinence and the intellectual lift up with prayer and study and the light of your mind will never be diminished.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, sure. It is the first stage of sin. However, you are not to blame for this stage since you cannot stop it.
I just wanted to comment on the underlined part... actually, not I, but what the Church Father's say, Saint Maximos in this particular case, commenting on Deuteronomy 5:9:

Thou shalt not bow down to them, nor shalt thou serve them; for I am the Lord thy God, a jealous God, visiting the sins of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation to them that hate me.

Paraphrase:

The first generation of sin is the thought or temptation to sin. The second generation is the desire to sin that is born when we fail to deal with the temptation but before our will actually concends to commit the sin. The third generation is the surrender of the will and the fourth the action of sinning.

God doesn't punish us for the thoughts or even the desire to sin, 1st and 2nd generation, but only when we surrender our will and commit the sin in action, 3rd and 4th generation respectively.
And now I'm going to shut up before someone breaks into my stable and loosens the ass.

Upvote 0