Can I be Christian and Not Believe the Bible?

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Some Christians would say that the Old Testament is still applicable, even to non-Jews, per Matthew 28:19
No Christians would ever say that. We are under a new covenant. Jesus fulfilled the law through His death and resurrection. Everything Jesus has commanded is summed up in love, as He stated. The work of God is to believe on the One whom He has sent. There are no other laws we are judged by.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The commandments given by God served as a teacher, to show the Jews they could not follow the law... because they were sinners. The purpose of the law was not so that they might be saved by following it; it was to show them they were incapable of it. The entire law is summed up in Love, says Jesus, the dude you admire. I have no idea where you get the idea that killing an unborn child was ever ok with God. The Jews created most of their own laws that God had nothing to do with. You are correct. The OT simply records God's relationship with an adulterous nation who sinned and committed all kinds of idolatry and wickedness.
So you are saying the ten commandments then are not for Christians?

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus tried to preach his gospel of salvation by faith to the Jews, if they would have belived, there would have been no cross. The cross wasn't the gospel.

37"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.38"Behold, your house is being left to you desolate!…
The cross was always the plan from before time began.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
So you are saying the ten commandments then are not for Christians?
Christians are not judged by the law. The point of the law was to expose our sin... everyone... and our need for a savior. We are incapable of following the law perfectly. Sure, you can not murder someone. That's the easy one. But Jesus clarifies that even if you hate someone you are guilty of murder. Everyone is guilty of murder.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟690,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As of right now, I have decided to become Christian. The reason I can be this is because I believe the message of Jesus was a wondrous and beautiful message indeed. And I would like to follow it. So as a Christian, my first goal is to understand Jesus more than ever before. Is that not what all the disciples did? I would like to become more like them. And so to better understand Jesus I would like to see things more from his point of view. Now the new testament offers a pretty good view of this. So when I hear that Jesus said that the old laws are still in effect I see who he was talking to. He was talking primarily to Jews and not me. And that is good for me to know so I can now forget about the old testament and focus on the new. The old is just there to be viewed from an historical perspective. So am I not now a Christian but perhaps of a different denomination? Now I am beginning to wonder if this denomination already exists?

Yes, you are a Christian. However, there is much wisdom and beauty within the OT. You would be doing yourself a favor to study it. I'm reasonable certain for instance you would find Ecclesiastes a beautiful and inspiring book. (And that's just one of the many great ones!) Pray before you read them and see if your feelings begin to change on their validity and application to your life.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians are not judged by the law. The point of the law was to expose our sin... everyone... and our need for a savior. We are incapable of following the law perfectly. Sure, you can not murder someone. That's the easy one. But Jesus clarifies that even if you hate someone you are guilty of murder. Everyone is guilty of murder.
Then why so so many Christians want to plaster the ten commandments around. Did you view that link on the problems with the old testament or do you agree that the old testament does not apply to us in which case the entire basis of Christian creationism can now go away as well.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Then why so so many Christians want to plaster the ten commandments around. Did you view that link on the problems with the old testament or do you agree that the old testament does not apply to us in which case the entire basis of Christian creationism can now go away as well.
I have no idea why some people want to plaster everywhere the law God gave to Moses. You err in thinking the law does not apply to you. If you are not in Christ, you will be judged by the law, which you cannot follow. Creation is a fact, but expect the world in general to reject it, as most people reject the true and living God. This earth is not the Christian's home. We are foreigners on this earth, basically, and only wait for the Lord to come back and reign in righteousness and do away will evil forever.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christians wants to plaster the 10 commandments around for the exact same reason the world wants to plaster ads all over the place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The only purpose of the law is to act as a schoolmaster, to show us we are sinners. I guess you are saying that you want to advertise to the world that they are sinners. They already know that.
And to restrain evil in the human heart.... You are saying we don't need laws?
advertisement works is why so many try the best to remove the 10 commandments from the public.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see where you answered whether the ten commandments are applicable or not. If they are applicable then isn't the rest of the morality in the old testament be applicable as well. And then it comes back down to picking and choosing morality again. Dispense with the old testament and all the problems go away and then we can focus on Jesus.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
advertisement works is why so many try the best to remove the 10 commandments from the public.
Not everyone approves of the ten commandments. Wouldn't it then be better to take them down if for no other reason to polish up the image of Christianity which is deteriorating badly? I don't want to see Christianity fail.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Where does Scripture say that the law of Moses acts to restrain evil in a human heart? Not so. Jesus made it clear that He judges evil in the hearts of men, not in their actions. Remember? Even if you hate someone you are guilty of killing them. It would be nice if we didn't need laws. If people were decent, we wouldn't need laws. People are not. However, don't mistake the laws of men with the purpose of the law of God. They are not one in the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Not everyone approves of the ten commandments. Wouldn't it then be better to take them down if for no other reason to polish up the image of Christianity which is deteriorating badly? I don't want to see Christianity fail.
Christ cannot fail. Don't presume to imagine it is even possible. He has already won.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
I don't see where you answered whether the ten commandments are applicable or not. If they are applicable then isn't the rest of the morality in the old testament be applicable as well. And then it comes back down to picking and choosing morality again. Dispense with the old testament and all the problems go away and then we can focus on Jesus.
Applicable to what? I have explained time and again the purpose of the law.

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
The problem I would have with communicating directly with Jesus is that I would be unable to discern what was coming from Jesus and what was coming from myself. Does that make sense?
I'm not sure if that makes sense.

If someone were standing in front of you, talking to you, would you have a problem discerning if it was coming from them or yourself ? Probably not, right ? After all, a person is standing there talking to you.

If you're on the phone with someone, hearing their voice, I'm assuming you probably don't have much problem discerning between what they are saying and what you are saying. I'm assuming you recognize the difference.

Reactions: Kirsten
Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That would apply to every law and especially taxes.

Upvote 0